[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > FFfan

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Mujir
Profile for Mujir
Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2004 01:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I got a 2004 SI-g (Canadian, so EX Coupe for you guys there in the states) and was wondering how i can boost the torque on my engine with mods or whatever. I realise Vtec's are high revvers so how can I get my ride to be more explosive off the line? Any suggestions? What are my options--if any?
FFfan
Profile for FFfan
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2004 02:02
i have a 2003 Si-G (canadian), which has the same engine (D17A) as your '04 Si-G. i find it hard to looks for aftermarket parts for that engine, but fortunately, i found a turbo kit from garrett that gives 6 psi of boost which gives 56% gain of hp from a stock engine. and can potentially boost up to around 325 hp
ichbinenteli
Profile for ichbinenteli
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2004 10:37
Salut Mujir,

Without a doubt adding a turbo or supercharger are going to be the most effective ways to improve your performance off the block. I do not like these options as they put a lot of continuous stress on your engine. I just bought an 05 Civic EX. I'm going to start by adding performance plugs and wires and see where that leaves me. Depending on what you want out of your car, you might add a Cold Air Induction, a new muffler (i'd say maybe a flow master).

If I were you (This is my plan of attack) start small and work your way up. Start with the inexpensive mods and work your way to where you want to be. You should be able to acheive another 20-40hp for under $500. If that's not where you want to be consider a Turbo/SC or Nitro. I preffer Nitro because I don't need the hp gain of a Turbo when I'm in rush hour traffic. Your situation might be differant.

-d-

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2004 13:26
Well for under $500 bucks you WONT be able to generate another 20-40 hp. Turbos and superchargers work well to generate additional power but can rob the engine of its durability and reliablilty. The only way I can think of adding more power while keeping the Honda realiability is to do a motor swap. Yeah its VERY exspensive but the car will certainly haul ass.

Patrick

CivicSi-gCanada
Profile for CivicSi-gCanada
Yeah, but NOPE.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2004 15:33
Why don't you save up your money for the next year or so and trade up to a brand new, non-tinkered with 2006 Civic SiR?!?! It should be a dandy.
SIVELOZ
Profile for SIVELOZ
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2004 18:48
Just a note about the D17A2.....

The sparkplugs are already platinum, and unlike previous generation SOHC VTEC civics there are no spark plug wires. Check it out.... they replaced them with these tiny wire packs. You won't be able to add much performance that way.

FFfan
Profile for FFfan
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2004 14:53
CivicB18 wrote:
Well for under $500 bucks you WONT be able to generate another 20-40 hp. Turbos and superchargers work well to generate additional power but can rob the engine of its durability and reliablilty. The only way I can think of adding more power while keeping the Honda realiability is to do a motor swap. Yeah its VERY exspensive but the car will certainly haul ass.

Patrick

yes, you SHOULD be able to add another 20 hp with 500 bucks :P

FFfan
Profile for FFfan
Re: Yeah, but NOPE.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2004 15:01
CivicSi-gCanada wrote:
Why don't you save up your money for the next year or so and trade up to a brand new, non-tinkered with 2006 Civic SiR?!?! It should be a dandy.

sure, he just bought his brand new '04, and now you suggest him to trade in his 2 yr-old car for a '04? he could lose up to 10 grands of money :P
and he's asking how to get more power from his civic, not ask how to get a higher hp car.

FFfan
Profile for FFfan
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2004 15:05
i already said there is a turbo availble for at least 56% boost on his D17A2. that doesn't look like alot of performance to you does it?
and i also added the turbo itself can boost the engine up to 325 hp as long as you make your engine strengthen up to take that boost

if 325 hp isn't much performance to you, i don't know what to say

Mujir
Profile for Mujir
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2004 06:46
Thanks,
Just wondering though, how much did this turbo charger cost you..and did you hafto make any other modifications to keep everything at par with the revamped engine? And when you say UPTO 325...what exactly does that mean..what would i hafto do to get those 325??

FFfan
Profile for FFfan
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2004 11:02
here's the website about the turbo kit
http://www.turbo-kits.com/civic_turbo_kits.html
it's around 3k or so

up to 325 means that's the maximum boost the turbo can give to the engine

but for stock engine, since you don't wanna damage the stock engine, it will give 56% boost. which means you'll get around 127 + 127 x 56% = 198.12 hp

Specboy-GSR
Profile for Specboy-GSR
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2004 12:00
$500 won't get you 20hp. An AEM Cold Air Intake will get you about 5-8hp for around $200 on a Civic EX. Catbacks and Headers go for more than that and give less power each. You might be able to get 20hp with $1500.

For reference sake, the Turbo specs are based on WHP. A civic ex with 105WHP should be pushing 163hp with 56%

Nitrus should get you the hp for less than 500 but without building up the internals, It wouldn't be recommended.

~SB

FFfan wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:

Patrick

yes, you SHOULD be able to add another 20 hp with 500 bucks :P

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, Inflammatory) 11-11-2004 14:32

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
hondaracer
Profile for hondaracer
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2004 17:28
FFfan wrote:
i already said there is a turbo availble for at least 56% boost on his D17A2. that doesn't look like alot of performance to you does it?
and i also added the turbo itself can boost the engine up to 325 hp as long as you make your engine strengthen up to take that boost

if 325 hp isn't much performance to you, i don't know what to say

brother, you need to take a valium and stop flaming everyone. trust me, the mods aren't going to allow it to go on for long...

FFfan
Profile for FFfan
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2004 18:36
if u want the car to go long, just stay stock. first that won't void your warrenty, and second, it's the best condition for the engine and you don't need to tune it.

i'm so sorry if i flamed you with the turbo charger. if you're that good of a tuner, you won't be in this forum giving stupid statements that comes with no reason.

SIVELOZ
Profile for SIVELOZ
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2004 20:37
I am still kinda confused if you were talking to me....

If so..... please re-read what I said....... I was refering to new spark plugs and wires not turbo charging at all??

Specboy-GSR
Profile for Specboy-GSR
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2004 23:09
FFfan wrote:
dude, if you're not blind, can you read that i said from 127 HP to 325 HP? for god's damn sake did i say i can go from 127 WHP to 325 WHP?

and i said $500 can get you 20 hp if you can find the fuckin deal. god's sake. not my fault you're such a moron that doesn't know how to look for bargains around the place ok?

"DUDE" Calm down There's no reason to make a jackass out of yourself. I realize you haven't been a member of TOV for very long so I'll take this time to inform you that most everyone talks WHP here and take your ignorance as a lack of time spent on this site.

If you can get 20hp out of $500, I'd love to see it. Show me some links. Oh, and I'm talking Real HP (aka WHP). Nothing Else Matters and no one cares about anything else.

For reference sake, check out the Dyno's on Comptech's website with Intake, Header, and Exhaust on a GS-R. Max WHP is 19 out of a professionally designed setup and that is on a DOHC engine (not a SOHC like the 2004 EX)
http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/00gsr_ice_box.pdf

Play nice with others please.

~SB

PS. Actually, come to think of it, the "turbonator" or "Tornado" found in the back of Every car magazine should give you 30hp easily. If I remember correctly, a Bookshelf wing gives 50hp and TonyE has at least another 75hp on his Odyssey because of the Type R Badge on the rear.

Bollocks
Profile for Bollocks
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2004 23:29
I agree with Specboy. The only way to add an honest 20 horsepower (whether it's at the wheels, at the crank, or SAE net) for $500 is to buy yourself a nitrous kit. The usual intake/header/exhaust mods are mostly way over-rated in terms of measurable and real-world gains.

My advice for a torque increase would be to get a well-known supercharger such as the one from Jackson Racing. While it is perhaps not the most sophisticated nor the most efficient forced induction setup, it is easy to install and very reliable. This piece will give you an honest 40-50hp and a significant increase in low-end torque with no other modifications, and it will respond very well to the usual I/H/E mods as well, should you choose to buy these items later.

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, Inflammatory) 11-13-2004 23:09

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
FFfan
Profile for FFfan
Re: Best way to add torque to 2k4 EX Coupe?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2004 23:12
oh, by the way, since you've mentioned that turbo hp are based on whp. then 325 whp should be more than enough :P
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
FFfan    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2004 17:13
FFfan, you need to relax or we'll take care of that for you. While you've been registered for a few months here, it looks like you've just begun posting. Please review our forum policies. We do not tolerate users breaking the rules and you're walking a fine line.

Ryan
FFfan wrote:
does it look like i give a f**k whether you people like using chp or whp? i'm referring to the car's specs as it was printed. if you don't know the car, then you don't know what i'm saying. if you don't know what i'm saying, then just step aside.

moreover, if you only know how to shop online, you're not a driver. i don't f**king care if the parts are first handed or second handed, as long as it works then it works. or else don't even bother modifying it if you don't like second handed parts yet can't afford first handed ones.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0