[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RSX > > Re: 2002 RSX -S spring and tire question

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Brillo
Profile for Brillo
2002 RSX -S spring and tire question    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2002 19:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well, I think I've finally settled on getting a RSX-S, I have three questions though. First, I plan to drop the car slightly to eliminate the wheel gap. John Eagle Acura actually does performance parts installs with Comptech parts, and I was wondering what people thought of thier springs. Second do you need a camber kit installed with springs that only lower 1.5 inches? John Eagle says you don't, but I want top make sure its done right. Finally, my first stop after buying the car will be to discount tire to remove and replace the stock tires. So what are a good summer tire that isn't to pricey? Being in Houston I don't have to deal with cold weather so summer should do me year round. Thanks for the help.
gilbert
Profile for gilbert
Re: 2002 RSX -S spring and tire question    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2002 20:37
Congratulations on your decision. To answer your first question, whatever springs you get, make sure that the spring rate is not so high that your shocks will not be able to function correctly. I believe that the Comptech chooses lowering springs that will work with the stock shocks. The great thing about Comptech parts is that if they are installed by an Acura dealer, you won't void the Acura warranty. Check with your dealer and Comptech to verify that you won't void any warranties and get it in writing if possible. Give Comptech a call regarding the camber kits. Bob or Mike should be able to tell you whether or not you need them or not.

Regarding summer tires, try the Dunlop SP8000s if they still make them, otherwise, the SP9000s should be a good alternative. I swapped the Michelin XGT-V4s on my GS-R for the SP8000s and it made a huge difference in performance. Those should be in the $100/tire or less range. I've heard good things about the Falken Azenis tires.

I hope that helps.

Gilbert

Brillo
Profile for Brillo
Re: 2002 RSX -S spring and tire question    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2002 21:01
Thanks for the advice. It is nice that Acura works with Comptech so that their products don't void the warranty. One dealer quoted me $500 for labor to install springs + parts...Is that a good deal? I hear they are a bitch to install. The Acura folks seem to think that cambers aren't necessary for such a small drop, the stock shocks work fine with the comptech springs. I found the tires you were referring too, I don't see the 9000's listed on discounttire.com, but the 8000's are there and in my price range. Discount tire would allow me to trading in the stock tires for like $40-50 a piece, which isn't bad I guess, hopefully I'll get the high end b/c the only use the stok ones are going to see is the ride to the tire shop. That is the first Mod.
Tuan
Profile for Tuan
Re: 2002 RSX -S spring and tire question    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2002 00:39
I would also look at the Kumho Ecsta MX. cheap at $95 each. (I really want someone to try these out to tell me about them. heh heh) They seem to be a great value with good dry performance. They have wide shoulder blocks to put more rubber down during cornering. They are rounded for a more progressive feel. They are Y rated to 186 mph so that means they can withstand high temps and have a strong, stiff sidewall carcass. However, like the Kumho V700 race tires which I race on, I'm sure these are quite heavy tires which stems from the above features. I'm considering buying these for my S2000 and Integra when I wear out the tires.

Falken Azenis are also good, cheap tires. Their wet traction is most likely below average, but their dry traction should be excellent. The autocrossers in my area in the "Street Tire" class use the Azenis with great success. At $84 for a tire in your size, it's also a good value, but I don't think they'll last as long as the Ecsta MX.

RyanDL will be doing a review of his Ingalls camber kits in the coming weeks. Be sure to look for it to get more info.

Tuan
Profile for Tuan
Re: forgot about the AVS-I    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2002 14:34
I forgot that there was a closeout sale on Tirerack for the Yoko AVS Intermediate tires. Something like $58 in your size. That's a great deal on a very grippy tire with a pretty stiff sidewall. These also wear out a little bit faster than others. It's a compromise you get with the softer and hence stickier rubber.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: 2002 RSX -S spring and tire question    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2002 14:40
I've heard pretty good things regarding the Comptech springs. $500 for labor is a LOT, though. You could do it yourself and spend that $500 on a few strippers, a keg, and throw a party with your friends. ;-) I'd have to refresh my brain by looking at the FSM, but I don't think the spring install is THAT tough. You have to deal with the front ball joints, if I remember correctly.

I think the Comptech springs lower the car 1-1/8" inches. I don't think that will require a camber kit, but I don't know.

I would look into the Yokohama AVS Intermediates that are being closed-out at Tire Rack and I think Discount Tire Direct. Hell of tire for a great price!

Ryan

Brillo
Profile for Brillo
Re: 2002 RSX -S spring and tire question    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2002 21:04
I appreciate the tire advice. Since bridgestone will allow me to trade my stock tires towards new ones, I may just bite the bullet and get some nice Potenza So3's. Since tires are truly where the rubber meets the road, I don't mind spending on them. I don't have to commute so I won't put much useless wear and tear on them. Let me know if the Potenza's have any issues other than price. It sounds like Koni is still working on their shocks, I figure if I'm going to do the springs I should do the whole setup...thus I'll probably wait until the shocks are out. How are the stock springs? I can't seem to find a aftermarket exhaust that really seems to make a decent performance impact. I know people like borla but it looks like exhausts hurt the low end power. Let me know if anyone has had a good experience with a new exhaust.
gilbert
Profile for gilbert
Re: 2002 RSX -S spring and tire question    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2002 21:23
I use S03s on my S2000 and I love them. They work very well in the wet and dry. Tread life is decent and you should be able to get 20K miles.

Gilbert

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: 2002 RSX -S Springs, Tires, Exhaust: Oh My!    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2002 12:55
S-03s are supposed to be nice, but they sure are pricey. I go through tires too quickly to drop that much green on them.

I don't know the spring rates of the stock springs. The rear springs are progressive, though, which is (I think) quite strange for Honda. The car can certainly use stiffer springs, though.

As for exhaust, the stock exhaust seems to flow quite well. Aftermarket exhausts aren't gaining too much additional power. I think the Borla catback gained 6 HP, but I don't know if this is peak HP. This was in Turbo magazine a few months back. It is the one I would pick if I were looking for an exhaust, with the Comptech in 2nd place (FYI, Comptech exhausts are using standard Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers).

Where nice power is being made is on the intake side. You can gain ~12 wheel HP from an AEM CAI. That's a helluva bang for the buck for a Honda!

Ryan

Brillo
Profile for Brillo
Re: 2002 RSX -S Springs, Tires, Exhaust: Oh My!    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2002 15:41
Ryan,

What tires are you using? I'm not dead set on the bridgestones, but if its only like a $20 difference I'd be willing to eat that. They don't have to be Z rated, and if there are some in the $100-120 per tire range that would be great. I've heard dunlop and kumho thrown around as good tires as well as AVS

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: 2002 RSX -S Springs, Tires, Exhaust: Oh My!    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-01-2002 17:46
I'm using the stock tires. I've tried several different tires on my Integra, though. The AVSi would be a good choice, and they are a great price right now. The Kumhos are supposed to also be nice and are cheap as well. Certainly not quite as sticky as the S-03s, but for the price difference, well worth it.

Ryan

watchdogd
Profile for watchdogd
Re: 2002 RSX -S spring and tire question    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2002 12:19
I thought the Injen was better than the AEM for CAI?

Thanks,

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0