[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
revdwight
Profile for revdwight
What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2004 18:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hello folks. Interesting stuff about the Corolla et al.
I posted in another section about the fact that I bought a Civic EX 2003 model that has little potential for upgrade (beyond air intakes and headers) other than an engine swap. I still owe on the car but I just saw a 2000 model Civic SI and I am considering a trade. The modification potential is greater and it is closer to the car I want. The obvious drawback is that I would be getting a MUCH older car, that has been ridden hard and put up wet. If modification is the goal would you go for the older Civic SI or wait to pay off the current car (four years or so) and trade then for what could be a better SI in '08?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dwight

SIVELOZ
Profile for SIVELOZ
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2004 18:27
I am in the exact boat as you......

I have an 02 Civic EX..... i bought it over an Si when i didn't know what the DOHC VTEC motor had to offer..... i bought new cause i thought i would have problems with an old 2000 Si...... but my new EX has given me so many problems i can't number them. I am considering driving something i like, even through its older its got a proven engine and an excellent B-Series performance worth the 2 years loss in age. Only thing is in 2005 i think the 05 Si will be a coupe and have 200HP. I think it may be better to wait.

revdwight wrote:
Hello folks. Interesting stuff about the Corolla et al.
I posted in another section about the fact that I bought a Civic EX 2003 model that has little potential for upgrade (beyond air intakes and headers) other than an engine swap. I still owe on the car but I just saw a 2000 model Civic SI and I am considering a trade. The modification potential is greater and it is closer to the car I want. The obvious drawback is that I would be getting a MUCH older car, that has been ridden hard and put up wet. If modification is the goal would you go for the older Civic SI or wait to pay off the current car (four years or so) and trade then for what could be a better SI in '08?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dwight

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2004 18:34
Only thing I can tell you is that I have a well taken care of SI and it has been bullet proof since day 1. Performance vs the ex is two worlds apart. Only drawback is highway rpms. 4K @ 72mph. If you don't drive highway much I don't think you can go wrong. Some people complain about the lack of torque, but what they don't mention is the gearing. This car is geared to move. But I can see where a lot of these cars have been modded and beat on. You will need to shop carefully.
2KSIR
Profile for 2KSIR
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2004 21:01
Hey

I'm on my 3rd Honda. I have had one of all there original models.

1986 Accord Hatchback
1990 Prelude S
2000 Civic SIR

When the SIR was released here in Canada in 99 I loved it. It was a dream car for me. I could not afford $25-26000 CDN for one though.

Luckily for me this past February 2004 I purchased a mint condition 2000 Civic SIR. The car was well taken care of, Dealer Maintained and Tastefully modfied. Even though it was 4 yrs old it had only 53000 KM on it. I have put 20000 KM on it since and it has been nothing but reliable. It is also a really fun car to drive. It has Injen Short Ram Intake and Vibrant Type V Axleback Exhaust. There is nothing like the sound of this car at 8000 RPM.

If you can find a low milage well taken care of car I would definitly recommend it. I only paid $16000 CDN for mine. To get a equivalant optioned and fast car I would have paid $25-30 K CDN So for me It was a good decision.

Not to mention that as far as mods go there is no limit to what you can do to this car. So It is a permanent hobby for me.

G

SIVELOZ
Profile for SIVELOZ
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2004 23:27
thats an amazing deal.... all the SiR's around here have 85,000 kms and run for about 17,900 cdn
2KSIR
Profile for 2KSIR
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2004 01:22
Well the guy I bought it from owns side by side Honda and Hyundai Dealerships. I live in Nova Scotia. I bought a brand new 2002 Hyundai Accent GSI from him as communter car and put 70000KM on it. I paid full list price for it and keep it dealer maintained by him.

So when this SiR became avl they wanted 19900 for it. It sat at the dealership for a couple months and many people looked at it. Nobody would bite. The best price he would give anyone was 17500. So we started dealing on it. I had to leave the dealership a few times but finally he called me up one day and told me I could have it for $16000. So I got the SiR and traded in the Accent. Just had to have me more car. The Accent was a good car that got me back forth but was just not enough automobile.

Just goes to show if your hard nosed with car dealers you can get what you want and if you don't there is always another dealer you can go to to get it. I would never pay what a dealer wants for car. Part of the fun is haggling. Especially on used cars

G

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2004 07:24
It may be harder to bargain on a used SI(R) until the 2005's come out. It is not uncommon in my area for a 99-2000 to bring as much or more money than an 03. Mostly due to the fact that there are so few of them, and of that few only a few have not beat on. USD I would expect to pay anywhere from 12K-16K for a 99-00.
SIVELOZ
Profile for SIVELOZ
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2004 00:02
here is an example of a dealer who think's it's sitting on a gold mine......

94,000Kms 2000 SiR for 16,000

http://www.sisleyhonda.com/Used.cfm?&Vehicle=430822#TopOfInventory

2KSIR
Profile for 2KSIR
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2004 01:30
Well Get this.

I paid the same for mine with 53000 KM on it.

It came with:
- Vibrant Type V stainless steel axleback exhaust
- Eurolite Tailights
- Tint
- Blue Rope neon through the doors,along the dash and around the shift console. (took the Sport Compact Shop 6 hrs to put in because it was 3 Seperate rope neon kits and they had to solder them togother.)
- Custom Chrome Plate with built in Carbon Fiber Weave Boot for the shifter console.
- Ichiban Billet Aluminum E Brake Handle
- Clarion Pro Series Mid and Tweets
- 2 Clarion Pro Series 10" Subwoofers
- Clarion Pro Series 2 Channel Amp to drive the subs
- Custom Install Box in the trunk for the amps and subs
- JVC CD Player
- Top of the line Compustar 2 Way FM Remote Start/Alarm Combo wired into power locks.

So I got a well taken care of dealer maintained car with all the above which is fully undercoated with the expensive Diamond Coat Undercoating which here in NS is good idea considering the salt they use in the winter for $16000

I think I got a pretty good deal myself considering all that gear is probably $2000-3000 to buy.

G

SIVELOZ
Profile for SIVELOZ
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2004 11:13
I'll give you 17500 for your car right now take it or leave it....... haha. Get this back in 2002 when i was buying my EX i had my hands on a 2000 silver SiR with 22,000Kms on it with a system, tints a 160,000/6 year extended warranty..... for 21,000. I went with the EX for a 1500 more and new.

By the way the SiR I pasted is sold...... it was only on autotrader for 2 days amazingly. No wonder they can ask how much they want.....I would if I was a dealer. Check out what the sales man said to me:

The 2000 SIR has been sold. The types of vehicles you're interested in are in high demand. I suggest we get together and confirm your specific vehicle and financial requirements. I can the alert you as to what I have before it hits the lot.

Check out my response:

Ok well my exact situation is this, I currently own a 2002 Civic Si-G Veloz purchased from Sisley Honda on April 2002 with 44,000 Kms on it. 98% service done by Sisley 2% service done by Number 7 Honda. I was interested in a trade in for ideally a 1995 Civic Hatch Si 5-speed which is one of the rarest cars to find this days without modifications or an engine swap. My second choice is a 2000 civic SiR with less than 70-80,000 kms. I may consider a 2000 Civic hatch DX/CX 5-speed but i would need to test drive it because i have only driven a 1993 civic hatch CX before. I may also be waiting for the new 2005 civic SiR, or believe it or not a used/new 2004 Acura TSX. So the following vehicles i would be interested in, and i'd like to be kept informed of:

1. 1995 Civic hatch Si
2. 2000 Civic hatch CX/DX
3. 1999/2000 Civic SiR (low kms if possible)
4. 2005 Civic SiR
5. 2004 Acura TSX

I may be purchasing as early as next month, or may be waiting untill 2005 as mentioned above. Any assistance with my purchase would be great. Thanks for taking an interest David.

2KSIR
Profile for 2KSIR
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2004 11:37
I'm probably going to keep the SiR till its paid for.

By then It will have 200000+ KM on it.

At the point I will either be looking into a new gen civic if they turn out well or a low mileage used and well maintained RSX Type S.

I have also considered when the time comes keeping the SiR as a winter car and finding a low mileage used and well maintained S2000 to drive in the summer.

That probably won't be till 2008 or 2009 though. So for now I'm just enjoying driving the SiR. Its an awesome car!

G

b16a2 dohc vtec
Profile for b16a2 dohc vtec
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2004 15:53
i just bought an 2000 si mint condtion 45,900 miles tastfully done mods interior is perfect got it from a dealership for 12,800 usd i am in love crazy power and super great handling it's sweeeeeeet and i have axcess to all parts ever thought of for this car kuz i work for a high performance company that sells parts i would say the 99 00 is the cream of the crop even over the 05 si when it comes out because it will take a few years for there to be parts like there is for the 99's and 00's parts just don't get made over night i know u still can't get everything for 02-03 cars right now let alone an 05 i will always keep it and totally re do the motor peace out
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: What would you do?-2000 SI or 2003 EX    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2004 17:21
Although the 99-00 Civic Si's are great cars, Id keep the Ex over it or sell the Ex and get maybe a slighty used RSX-S or you could wait a few years and get another Si (if Honda makes a proper one) . And if you do decide on a 99-00 Si dont by a modified one, usually that means they have driven the shi*t out of it.

Patrick

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0