[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV In-Car Video - 2004 Acura NSX-T > > Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon...

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
'04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-04-2004 13:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I've finished editing the video but i need to render it and then encode it. hopefully will have it up later this afternoon.
brittho
Profile for brittho
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-04-2004 15:00
Great vids!

Is there any more to the drag clip than the NSX burnout? I want to see that TL tear off down the strip!

Britt

brittho
Profile for brittho
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-04-2004 15:06
Nevermind I downloaded it again and it is all there.
mentaloriental
Profile for mentaloriental
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 11:00
Holy Crap! The TL was keeping up with the NSX for first 100 ft or so!
netviper
Profile for netviper
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 11:21
Like they said, it was not a very good launch.

That being said, I love our TL, but it is auto. I don't think I would get one in manual.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 13:27
What was your best run in the TL?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 14:47
I ran a 14.21@97 or 98. I know our best trap speed was 98.x but i can't remember if i trapped that high on the 14.21.

NSXman wrote:
What was your best run in the TL?

netviper
Profile for netviper
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 15:22
14.21... that is quick! I love the TL! I wish the TQ steer wasn't so bad though.

I can't imagine why anyone on earth would buy a BMW 545i for $30 more than a TL! They are crazy.

To me the TL is probably the best bang for the buck out there for a sedan.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 16:18
there's virtually zero torque steer.

netviper wrote:
14.21... that is quick! I love the TL! I wish the TQ steer wasn't so bad though.

I can't imagine why anyone on earth would buy a BMW 545i for $30 more than a TL! They are crazy.

To me the TL is probably the best bang for the buck out there for a sedan.

netviper
Profile for netviper
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 17:44
Zero TQ steer? Did you actually drive the TL?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 18:44
I've driven several thousand miles in 4 different '04 TLs this year alone. There is virtually no torque steer.

netviper wrote:
Zero TQ steer? Did you actually drive the TL?

netviper
Profile for netviper
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 19:38
well, every national auto magazine would disagree with you as I would and I have owned one for 6 months.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 21:22
I owned a 2002 TL Type S for 2 years and the '04 has no more torque steer than the '02, which was virtually none. It has less torque steer than a CR-V or Element, which have SOME but not a lot of torque steer, relatively speaking.

Are you saying that your car steers itself (under throttle) on a straight, flat (not crowned) road? If so, I'd take it in for a diagnosis - something's not right with it. And yeah, I've seen one or two reviews complaining of torque steer (certainly not all, in fact one review actually mentioned that the TL had NO torque steer), but they're A) confusing the feel of the LSD, B) have some sort of bullshit agenda (Car and Driver) or C) they don't know what torque steer is.

In the TL, you can take your hands off the steering wheel, stand on the throttle and as long as the tires maintain grip, it goes dead straight ahead. Cars plagued with true torque steer (Nissan Altima 3.5 is a pretty good example, I've heard the Sentra SE-R can also be pretty nasty) will pull HARD to one side or the other - some are so bad that they'll pull even at light throttle applications. Or worse, they will oscillate and dart left and right.

That's not to say the TL is well behaved when it suffers a loss of traction. Things can get downright nasty if you lay into it and break the front tires free, but the only time I observed this was on the 6-speed, and that was when the conditions were too cold for the HPT summer tires. The 5AT is quite a bit better behaved, so if you're feeling what you think is torque steer, you should get it checked out. Perhaps you have an underinflated tire, a defective tire, or your alignment is out of whack.

I drove another 6MT TL a week or two ago, but it had the all-season tires, plus (obviously) it's much warmer now. There was no issue with longitudinal grip at all. I managed to make it understeer quite a bit once by overcooking a tight offcamber turn, but even with all that wheelspin the steering felt fine. And the rest of the time it also felt fine. There was no torque steer.

netviper wrote:
well, every national auto magazine would disagree with you as I would and I have owned one for 6 months.

Suomi
Profile for Suomi
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 21:34
I haven't driven a TL, so I have no opinion on the torque steer issue, but what makes you say that Car and Driver has some sort of agenda that would cause them to lie about the TL? They never stop talking about how much they love Hondas, so I can't imagine them making up lies about them. The only thing I can think of is that they currently seem to have a gripe about all front drive cars, excluding econoboxes.
Tuan
Profile for Tuan
Re: TL comments [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-05-2004 22:29
My 5AT TL only has problems when the tires break traction starting very hard from a stop and turning at the same time like turning right at a stop sign. The steering wheel was sawing back and forth a few times and I had to get a firm grip on the steering wheel. Given this, I can understand how people _think_ it's torque steer. Perception is indeed hard to fight. The other 99% of the time, the car is perfectly fine driving it at a normal pace. I don't drive my TL like I'm on a race track. It's a sporty luxury car and I drive it accordingly; ie. 99% of the time, I would not even care if the car was FWD or RWD. IMO.

My conspiracy theory on the Car and Driver TL controversy is that C&D thinks that the TL is such a near perfect car for its class. If it only had rear wheel or AWD would the TL be the ideal car for _them_. By harping on the FWD issue so much, they are hoping to convince Honda to make the TL have RWD or AWD in the future. I actually hope that C&D's "agenda" works in convincing Honda to do just that. :-)

I personally would like for Honda to have the normal FWD TL version available and also offer a SH-AWD Type-S version.

netviper
Profile for netviper
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2004 00:51
I will agree that 95% of the time I never notice the TQ steer in the car.

It is only in certain situations like when you go to pass someone, step on the gas and all of a sudden the steering wheels PULLS you all over the place. It is a strong pull also.

I am sure next year they will have a TL with AWD and then Car and Driver, along with all the other mags, are going to have nothing negative to say. Well, acutally, I can see it now..

"The AWD system is amazing. Too bad the TL now weighs so much now."..

Sometimes you just can't win :)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-06-2004 11:11
That definitely sounds like torque steer to me, but that doesn't sound like anything we experienced. Does that happen every time you're in that situation or on a certain road? I've felt some squirminess over uneven or wavy pavement, but on smooth pavement I never felt any of the test cars (nor our '02) do that. Perhaps Tuan can comment on that - he's had his '04 TL since last November.

netviper wrote:
I will agree that 95% of the time I never notice the TQ steer in the car.

It is only in certain situations like when you go to pass someone, step on the gas and all of a sudden the steering wheels PULLS you all over the place. It is a strong pull also.

I am sure next year they will have a TL with AWD and then Car and Driver, along with all the other mags, are going to have nothing negative to say. Well, acutally, I can see it now..

"The AWD system is amazing. Too bad the TL now weighs so much now."..

Sometimes you just can't win :)

RAdams
Profile for RAdams
Re: TL comments [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-07-2004 17:15
I've owned a 2000 TL, a 2002 TL-S and now an '04 TL 6MT (since December '03) and be it torque steer, the effects of the LSD or what, the '04 definitely feels different, but not negatively so.
PreludeSH1
Profile for PreludeSH1
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-10-2004 21:02
That extra 14 lb/ft of torque probably had something to do with it. After that it's Sayonara TL. Then top end power takes over and that's all that she wrote.
PreludeSH1
Profile for PreludeSH1
Re: '04 NSX vs '04 TL 6MT dragstrip video coming soon... [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-10-2004 21:15
I would have to agree with Jeff on no torque steer because I have driven both this generations and last generation TL(Type-S) and I haven't experienced any torque steer. I think it all depends on who the test driver is. I've noticed that they are inconsistent when it comes to first drives and longterm tests. Granted each car is unique and has its own quirks but I seriously doubt that unless there is something wrong with the steering linkage(which seems to happen with every longterm test vehicle that they have) torque steer would be any type of problem.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0