[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> So they took apart a Tesla 3 and found.......
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
S2000 --> Bridgewater Acura Meet
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 MotoGP
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Switch Wheels 2019 RDX Tech to Advance ????
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: evo's best Japanese cars, 5 new, 5 old
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Engineering Explained on the CTR and its motor
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda Releases New 8-Passenger Elysion Minivan > > Re: Third row seat

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

6 Hondas
Profile for 6 Hondas
Third row seat [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2004 15:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
If the third row seat does not fold away into the floor, it will be an absolute disaster for Honda. People do not buy minivans to conjure up images of ocean liners and blue light touches of luxury. They buy them for utility.

People who buy minivans have kids and dogs and lots of stuff. They car pool with other families to get kids to school and baseball games. They need versatility. With a fixed third row seat, I might as well buy a 1985 Caravan. Of course, I'll be stuck buying a Sienna instead.

This is all the more depressing because it was Honda that invented the fold away third seat, the one that everyone else copied. For a reason.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Third row seat [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2004 16:51
you realize of course that this vehicle is for the Japanese market? It's replacing the "Lagreat", which was a rebadged US-market Odyssey.

The '05 US Odyssey will still have a "magic" folding 3rd row seat (split 60/40). The significance of the Elysion (from a North American perspective) is that it likely foreshadows a lot of the interior (and possibly exterior?) design cues of the US-market '05 Odyssey. It's quite a bit smaller than the US model will be, so there wasn't room for the "magic" folding rear seat.

6 Hondas wrote:
If the third row seat does not fold away into the floor, it will be an absolute disaster for Honda. People do not buy minivans to conjure up images of ocean liners and blue light touches of luxury. They buy them for utility.

People who buy minivans have kids and dogs and lots of stuff. They car pool with other families to get kids to school and baseball games. They need versatility. With a fixed third row seat, I might as well buy a 1985 Caravan. Of course, I'll be stuck buying a Sienna instead.

This is all the more depressing because it was Honda that invented the fold away third seat, the one that everyone else copied. For a reason.

iNteGRaz92
Profile for iNteGRaz92
this is NOT a u.s.-bound vehicle (n/t) [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2004 17:42
n/t
paulx
Profile for paulx
Re: Third row seat [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2004 18:07
I agree 100%. The packaging of the new Elysion ( low floor and real - time 4wd) does not allow for the magic seat. In North America cargo utility and seating versatility are paramount. The 60/40 magic seat is a given for sales and marketing. This is why awd will be delayed because of space limitations. Maybe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SH-AWD could be the answer. We hope.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
I wouldn't count on AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2004 19:23
Unless Honda figures out a way to add AWD to the Odyssey for basically free, I doubt we'll see it here. Check out the sales figures for other AWD minivans (virtually nil) for the reason. Notice that DCX dropped AWD and yes, a big reason was their folding 2nd row seats, but Chrysler says it was a no-brainer since there were no AWD sales to speak of anyhow.

paulx wrote:
I agree 100%. The packaging of the new Elysion ( low floor and real - time 4wd) does not allow for the magic seat. In North America cargo utility and seating versatility are paramount. The 60/40 magic seat is a given for sales and marketing. This is why awd will be delayed because of space limitations. Maybe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SH-AWD could be the answer. We hope.

paulx
Profile for paulx
Re: I wouldn't count on AWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2004 08:34
Living in Canada and in the north with lots of wintertime snow I do have my fingers crossed for awd. I do realize the sales numbers issue but it would be a good alternative to the sienna awd which does sell well because of our climate. An option would be nice even to that of buying a Pilot.
6 Hondas
Profile for 6 Hondas
Re: Third row seat [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2004 10:03
If you are right, this is a big relief. Although I would never buy a DCX, the second row fold away seat is very nice. As cool as a minivan with SH AWD would be, I would much rather take the DCX feature.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0