[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Here's What to Expect Daily Driving a 2017 Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> 2018 Honda Fit Sport Review - Back to Basics
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RSX > > Re: I wonder if...

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
pat-mtl-itr
Profile for pat-mtl-itr
I wonder if...    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2004 10:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda North America made this same change but just never bothered to announce it:

http://racv.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/1DB9DEE4444C73B2CA256E780011EBDF

"Honda abandons Type R branding"

R for rejected: Honda’s move to kill off Integra Type R comes after several years of controversy over the legitimacy of the current model.

Honda Australia walks away from Type R ultra-sports

By BRUCE NEWTON 16 April 2004

HONDA Australia will abandon the prestigious Type R ultra-sports branding later this year when it updates the Integra sports coupe range.

And despite repeated attempts over the past few years to expand its Type R model line-up, it does not plan any association with that branding in the future.

The end of Type R publicly signals a fundamental change in Honda Australia’s marketing attitude. While in the past it saw Type R as a way to inject "sizzle", it is now heading along a sports luxury path.

"There is no more Type R, that chapter in Honda Australia’s history is closed," Honda Australia director Lindsay Smalley told GoAuto exclusively.

"The direction of Honda is moving more towards sophisticated sports, away from that raw, more confronting type of sports car."

Honda’s move to kill off Integra Type R comes after several years of controversy over the legitimacy of the current model.

Ironically, it will be replaced by a model called the Integra Type S, a designation critics argued the car should have had in the first place.

The Integra Type R first appeared in Australia as a hard-core hard-revving 1.8-litre between October 1999 and July 2001.

But when the new generation came along it was widely criticised for not matching up to the technical specifications of the Japanese Integra Type R.

That car has 162kW, 17-inch wheels, 215/45s rubber and four-piston calliper Brembo brakes.

The Australian model has 147kW, 16-inch wheels, 205/55 rubber and misses out on the Brembos.

The detuning of the engine was blamed on limited availability of 98 octane fuel in Australia, while cost and durability issues ruled out the more aggressive wheel, tyre and brake package.

Nevertheless, the car still rose in price by $4000 and an extra $2000 was charged for air-conditioning, a curious decision considering the base model $39,950 Integra had standard climate control.

The actual specification of the Australian Type R was closer to the US Acura RSX Type S when it was launched, hence the irony of the name change.

But the car that will appear in the last quarter of 2004 will more closely resemble a 200-off ‘Special Edition’ Integra sold in 2002 that featured extras like leather seats and door panels, side airbags (mounted in the front seat backs), electric sunroof, leather-clad steering wheel, full body kit, front foglights, driver and passenger map lights and appropriate badging.

A body kit comprised front and rear underbody spoilers, side sills and a more discreet spoiler than Type R.

That ‘Special Edition’ model later prompted Honda to introduce the Integra Luxury as a full-time member of the range.

But the forthcoming Type S is expected to have a power level close to the current Type R, rather than drop back to the standard and Luxury Integra’s 118kW version.

Honda Australia had tried to add the UK-built Civic Type R three-door to its range but that was killed off by exchange rates and the ongoing concern over fuel quality.

The change in emphasis may act as a sales spur for Integra. In 2003 there were 922 sold here, compared to 1342 the year before.

After three months of 2004, 168 sales have been logged, compared to 304 in the same period of 2003.

Honda will launch sports-oriented people-mover, the third generation Odyssey, mid-year.

Last edited by JeffX on 04-29-2004 10:10
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: I wonder if...    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2004 10:26
It would truly be a shame if we don't see ANY Type R models here in the US. While I certainly enjoy my RSX-S, I'd be giddy over a Type R if one were available. It will, however, have to be the full-on JDM version. I don't want the half-assed Aussie Type R.

With the recent availability of the A-Spec package, my hopes of the RSX-R coming to the states has been further diminished and this feeling increases with every passing model year. The RSX is also now the only Acura with the Type S moniker, which makes me wonder what's going to happen with the MMC planned for MY05. It would seem that this shift upwards would nix the base RSX and simply remove the Type S label from the current S. That doesn't answer my wishes for an R, though...

Ryan

pat-mtl-itr
Profile for pat-mtl-itr
Re: I wonder if...    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2004 23:33
At this point I would settle for any Type R that came with a warrantied LSD and Recaros,etc. It is relatively easy to get and extra 20HP out of a 200HP RSX and the wheels and brakes are not too much of a hassle to upgrade either...

I would even take the CTR. I won't hold my breath anymore though as HNA has dissapointed me regarding this...

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0