[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
gaijingohan
Profile for gaijingohan
Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2002 11:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I recently bought a new civic lx and I know it is not a vtec but is their anyway to make it vtec. Like maybe swaping some parts of another vtec model in the same yr class from a junk yard? I don't know but I am looking for more pep in the lower rpms with out having to buy a expensive supercharger or turbo. So if anybody has some ideas on what to do let me know.
JS_vtec
Profile for JS_vtec
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2002 14:13
If you want your engine to become a vtec one, you'll need to replace your cylinder head. Also, you're better to change your computer. It's not recommended to keep your current lx computer because you will need a crappy vtec switch to engage it manually. The stock VTEC computer engages VTEC only under certain condition such as water temperature, vehicule speed, oil pressure and MAP. If you want to make this change, I think you're better to swap your engine and put something wild, like a B18 series. Also, you can start with alloying your engine to breath with a cold air intake, a header and a muffler.

Hope this help

Dave C.
Profile for Dave C.
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2002 14:31
Ironically, adding VTEC to your engine could take away some of the low end power you already have. VTEC gives more hp, but often VTEC engines like the B18C have less torque than their non VTEC brother the B18B. But, really, if you want a faster car, get a faster car. Starting out an underdog just makes the journy that much harder and more costly. I'd also reccomend having some sort of goal in mind too. That will help guid your decisions as to what to do with your car, or what car to buy.
Nickc
Profile for Nickc
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2002 17:21
Agreed, The money you would spend and the headaches are not worth it....do a B16/B18 swap...you will be very happy w/ the results...start modding from there and the skys the limit.Or you could even do an LS/VTEC Swap

hondaracer
Profile for hondaracer
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2002 19:27
i'm sorry, but i just don't understand why i keep reading posts of people who just bought brand new cars and want things like engine/head swaps.

not to be rude, but why didn't you just buy a car with vtec. it would have been $1000 more, but by the time you're done with any kind of swap, you're looking at $1,500 to $5,000 easy, and will have a brand new car with no warranty and hence zero resale value!!!

i'm not trying to bum anyone out or sound elitist, but some of you guys have got to start doing a little reading before spending your money and then expecting us to solve your problems for you. even a simple magazine like super street (i know it's not that in depth or even accurate at times, but is excellent for the beginner) will give you pleny of info to get started with, just read 5 or 6 issues, and you'll start to catch on to alot of this stuff.

also, as someone else has already pointed out quite correctly, vtec will do nothing for your bottom end torque.

allstarsucka
Profile for allstarsucka
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2002 23:43
i think doing a head swap is the way to go, but thats how im going to do it. im putting a D16Z6 head on a D16Y7 block the only thing i need is a ecu to engage the vtec. talking about engine swaps from to a D series to a B series is going to cost at least $3500 unless youve got guys in a shop thatll hook you up. not to be rude, but its not as much fun buying a car thats already fast when youve got one w/so many bolt-ons and interchangeable parts. doing the work myself is what i like about it, driving it and knowing what you can do w/some initiative is the rest
SSS_MAN
Profile for SSS_MAN
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-13-2002 00:14
maybe u can try out the HKS light pressure turbo set at 0.3bar. heard that this stuff does wonder for the sohc non-vtec and can easily out run the b16 in stock form. best part is, turbo lag is almost impossible and pulling power can be felt as low as 2000 rpm.
all info's extracted in one of the beystock tuning articles. can try contacting aerotech for more info. me driving ek3 w/o vtec and really looking forward to install the lpt at the earliset opportunity.

jDmEk4SiR
Profile for jDmEk4SiR
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2002 12:06
well....if you dont have the money to buy a b16, or b18 series motor, i suggest you get a SOHC motor from a honda civic EX. But if you can, save your money and get a B16, and for even more torque, a B18. Im not sure where you live, but where i am in southern california, you can get a complete B16 egine swap for about $2,300, which includes the motor, mounts, axles, ecu, and shift linkage. The B18 (the only vtec models in the us are the gsr and type r) cost a little more, with the gsr for about $3,500 or $4 and the type r for maybe $6. If you have any other questions, i may be able to help you.
Dragonctr69
Profile for Dragonctr69
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2002 02:44
New Cixic... Leave it a lone is the Best advice I can give you.

If it ain't broke don't fix it kinda thing. I would Recomend a 50 shot of NOS that should do the trick for you. Not too expensive as compared to an engine Swap

ek1720
Profile for ek1720
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-18-2004 04:30
im stuck in the same situation wit ya, i own an lx too, but its not too bad. vtec or no vtec, every engine has good potentials. just do basic maintanence, do some research, might come across fabricating custom parts since alot of aftermarket parts are for vtec models. id say save your money for a better car (dunt get me wrong, i love my lx) or get it turbo prepped. get some head work done, put in better sleeves, con rods and pistons. i wont recommend all this unless you really consider keeping the car and becoming the tru underdog!!! gdluck man

Edo
Profile for Edo
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2004 19:58
just convert it to turbo
;)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-26-2004 14:29
What?

Are you telling me you'd rather spend hours working on your car when you could be driving instead?

IMHO, I always buy the faster version of the car and then keep it stock. That way I can insure it, keep the warranty, preserve the resell value and don't have to worry about smog checks.

Plus I can haul ass. ;-))

allstarsucka wrote:
i think doing a head swap is the way to go, but thats how im going to do it. im putting a D16Z6 head on a D16Y7 block the only thing i need is a ecu to engage the vtec. talking about engine swaps from to a D series to a B series is going to cost at least $3500 unless youve got guys in a shop thatll hook you up. not to be rude, but its not as much fun buying a car thats already fast when youve got one w/so many bolt-ons and interchangeable parts. doing the work myself is what i like about it, driving it and knowing what you can do w/some initiative is the rest

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Question about vtec vs nonvtec    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-26-2004 14:31
You should have bought an Si to start with.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0