[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Passport spy pics
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RSX > > Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 08:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hey guys. In switching back from track to stock pads a week or so ago, I notice my OEMs are getting pretty thin. Curious to know what people are using for their daily pads other than stock. I'm looking for something with a higher Cf (more bite) than the stockers, no noise, and low dust, all at a reasonable price. I'm considering the AEM pads. I'd consider the EBC Greens, but I don't think they're going to last very long, although they are pretty inexpensive. Any other options?

Ryan

KenB
Profile for KenB
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 10:01
I would go with the AEM. While I don't have an RSX, they come highly recommended by a friend of mine with one. He is a service tech for a Honda dealership.

Is brake dust a problem for your stock pads?

hondaracer
Profile for hondaracer
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 10:15
the AXXIS pads meet everything you mention, and i've always been pleased with them in the past for street/auto-x use.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 11:22
hondaracer wrote:
the AXXIS pads meet everything you mention, and i've always been pleased with them in the past for street/auto-x use.

I've used Axxis MetalMaster pads before on my Integra. A couple of things I didn't like about them:
1) Noisy as hell -- sounds like they're made of gravel; lots of crunching/grinding noises.
2) Semi-metallic, so they're not terribly rotor friendly.

A good idea, though!

Ryan

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 11:23
KenB wrote:
I would go with the AEM. While I don't have an RSX, they come highly recommended by a friend of mine with one. He is a service tech for a Honda dealership.

Is brake dust a problem for your stock pads?

Glad your friend is happy with the AEMs. Brake dust is not a problem with the OEM pads at all. Aftermarket pads tend to have a good deal of brake dust, though, so I needed to make that part of my criteria.

Ryan

JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 12:34
I use Axxis Ultimates with excellent results. They don't squeak at all on my GS-R and they provide excellent cold bite. I'm pretty lazy about cleaning brake dust so I'm not sure if that'd be an issue but they do not dust very much from what I can see. You may also wanna check out Carbotech's street compounds, I've heard they're pretty good too.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 14:24
OK, Axxis Ultimates (not MetalMaster). I will look into those. Thanks! Carbotechs are a bit pricey for just street use.

Ryan

hondaracer
Profile for hondaracer
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 14:36
RyanDL wrote:
hondaracer wrote:

I've used Axxis MetalMaster pads before on my Integra. A couple of things I didn't like about them:
1) Noisy as hell -- sounds like they're made of gravel; lots of crunching/grinding noises.
2) Semi-metallic, so they're not terribly rotor friendly.

A good idea, though!

Ryan

wow, sounds like my experiences with the Hawk HP+, not at all like my AXXIS's.

Specboy-GSR
Profile for Specboy-GSR
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2004 19:36
I have the AEM's on my GS-R and they have a great feel. They also don't dust much and I got a great deal on them at www.lightningmotorsports.com. They were good on shipping and were actually cheaper once added to my cart than on their site. I also got them pretty quickly too.

I was debating between the Greenstuff and the AEM pads and money was an issue. I'd buy them again even if money wasn't an issue though.

~SB

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-08-2004 08:42
Well, unfortunately AEM isn't making a set of front pads for the RSX-S (or S2000, which is the same). So, looks like I'm SOL on them. I'm considering the Axxis Ultimates recommended by JMU R1. Price isn't bad: $74.98/front and $39.98/rear from Brake Parts Warehouse (http://www.brakeco.com).

I'll probably buy in about a month, so if anyone has other ideas, keep them coming.

Thanks, guys!
Ryan

RJC RSX
Profile for RJC RSX
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2004 15:46
i hear good things about Hawk HPS pads
RSXcellent
Profile for RSXcellent
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2004 22:50
Andie at Cobalt Friction is the absolute guru of brake pads. I'm using his GT Sports for the track now, but they're noisy. He has a street compound too, but I haven't tried it yet. HIs pads are about $20 cheaper than comparable Hawks. I have the HPS but haven't put them on yet so I can't comment. I hear the AXXIS Ultimates are good too. My advise, talk to Andie. By the way, check out the Grand Am RSX they sponsor on their website. Cobaltfriction.com

RSXcellent
Profile for RSXcellent
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2004 22:55
By the way, mention TOV, I'm sure he'll give the same 15% discount he gives to that other RSX website.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 08:58
Sorta funny that this thread just resurfaced.

I replaced my street pads this weekend based on the recommendations for Axxis Ultimates. Installed and heat cycled them and so far am very pleased with their performance. Considerably more initial bite than OEM and they seem to have quite a bit of friction. Haven't had a chance to evaluate pad dusting yet since they're brand new (and my wheels are disgustingly dirty from my Carbotechs), but based on their compound, they should be just fine.

I wound up getting them from Adventon for approx. $75F/35R. Thanks to all who suggested them!

Ryan

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 09:56
remember my report on the pads on the FP rsx last year - they completely and utterly transformed that car's braking. They dusted quite a bit more than stock and tended to squeal a bit at low speeds, but the first time you dropped anchor at speed it was all forgiven! these were some modulo "carbons" i believe.

RyanDL wrote:
Sorta funny that this thread just resurfaced.

I replaced my street pads this weekend based on the recommendations for Axxis Ultimates. Installed and heat cycled them and so far am very pleased with their performance. Considerably more initial bite than OEM and they seem to have quite a bit of friction. Haven't had a chance to evaluate pad dusting yet since they're brand new (and my wheels are disgustingly dirty from my Carbotechs), but based on their compound, they should be just fine.

I wound up getting them from Adventon for approx. $75F/35R. Thanks to all who suggested them!

Ryan

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 10:25
Yup, I remember that. Since I have track pads that are just outstanding, it was always a pisser to go back to the OEM junk. These Axxis pads seem to work great at street brake temperatures (no warm up at all for maximum effectiveness it seems) and grip much like my track pads. They're silent, too. If they have little to no dust, then they will get my vote for an outstanding street pad. I might even give them a whirl at an auto-x if I get lazy and the weather isn't too hot.

These pads combined with the Kumho 712s I recently had fitted make the RSX much, much more likeable to drive on a daily basis. Now if the suspension weren't so soft...

Ryan

mad_ox1
Profile for mad_ox1
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 12:47
Ryan, why do you think the EBC's will wear too fast? I was considering them for my Civic but I don't want to have to be replacing them all that often.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 15:03
mad_ox1 wrote:
Ryan, why do you think the EBC's will wear too fast? I was considering them for my Civic but I don't want to have to be replacing them all that often.

I tried EBC Greens once on my Integra for a track weekend. I had them down to the backings in 1 day. They just don't seem to work well on heavier cars. I've also heard that they are wearing quickly on RSXs. On something the weight of a CRX or lighter, I'd be more than happy to use them. Otherwise, I vote for something else.

Ryan

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 15:10
are these semi-metallic pads or what is their composition?

RyanDL wrote:
Yup, I remember that. Since I have track pads that are just outstanding, it was always a pisser to go back to the OEM junk. These Axxis pads seem to work great at street brake temperatures (no warm up at all for maximum effectiveness it seems) and grip much like my track pads. They're silent, too. If they have little to no dust, then they will get my vote for an outstanding street pad. I might even give them a whirl at an auto-x if I get lazy and the weather isn't too hot.

These pads combined with the Kumho 712s I recently had fitted make the RSX much, much more likeable to drive on a daily basis. Now if the suspension weren't so soft...

Ryan

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 16:22
Jeff wrote:
are these semi-metallic pads or what is their composition?

They are defined as "ceramic strengthened". It's a ceramic compound with low metal content (as evidenced by looking at the pad). Unfortunately, the link on their site to learn more about the pad appears to be broken, but there is some other good info there to look at: http://www.axxisbrakes.com/products.htm.

I've used their Metal Master pads before, but they are awfully noisy.

Ryan

mad_ox1
Profile for mad_ox1
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 19:58
Ok, thanks a lot.
RSXcellent
Profile for RSXcellent
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2004 20:44
Ryan, let me know if the Axxis Ultimates stay quiet. If so, I may get them for daily use. Thanks. By the way, the Cobalt Friction GT Sport pads are comparable to the HP+ and about $20 cheaper, but they're too noisy for the street. I just used the GT Sports at the track and they were good there. They have less initial bite than the HP+ but better modulation and a higher heat rating.

gila
Profile for gila
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-09-2004 12:16
EBC Greens should be OK for street use with good initial bite but they're not suitable for track use.
TR
Profile for TR
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-09-2004 12:36
Yep, I have Greenstuff in front and in back (with brembo OEM rotors) and they work excellent. They squeaked for about 4 days (maybe break-in period?) but now everything is fine. The only thing that people might not like it brake dust on rims, not as much as BMWs or Audis though. Probably as much dust as TLs with Brembo setup.
RSX-S_allTheWay
Profile for RSX-S_allTheWay
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2004 19:36
How long do these pads tend to last with normal use?

I have about 21,000 miles on my car and already the rear driver's side has begun to squeak. Is this normal? Should I be going to the dealer to have it looked at?

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2004 08:59
RSX-S_allTheWay wrote:
How long do these pads tend to last with normal use?

I have about 21,000 miles on my car and already the rear driver's side has begun to squeak. Is this normal? Should I be going to the dealer to have it looked at?

I have 30K miles on the car and the stock pads needed to be replaced. Most people will probably get more mileage out of their stock pads, but I am pretty hard on them. I expect the Axxis pads to last about the same amount of time.

You can apply some anti-squeal grease between the brake pad and pad shim if you're familiar with how to replace the rear pads on the RSX. Otherwise, take it to the dealer. It is not a problem, just an annoyance.

Ryan

IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2004 00:09
You want to talk about dusting! On my ITR the stock Ferodos always turn my white wheels black after about 3 days. I do brake very hard pretty much all the time, because I just love the feel of the Brembos and their bite, when my friends are in the car, they always tighten up in the seat and have that look of IS HE GOING TO STOP in their eyes.

My next pads most likely will be the Mugen golds, decent street pad.

Chris

gila
Profile for gila
Re: Brake Pads for Daily Street Use    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2004 13:21
Didn't know the stock pads were Ferodos. My friend changed to Project Miu Titan Kai and thought the dusting couldn't get any worse. At least they bite better.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0