[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Help stop the madness

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Dieselkali
Profile for Dieselkali
Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2003 13:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My wife wants me to get a Chevy Impala. Please help me get as much DIRT on them as possible for my arguement for not getting one.
evanskhan
Profile for evanskhan
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2003 14:01
surprisingly they have very inexpensive maintenance costs so the overall cost of ownership is less than that of a camry or accord. however, it may be because they use jurassic era architecture.
constructicon
Profile for constructicon
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2003 14:09
Um, unless she's the bread-winner, tell her you'll get whatever you want, not some POS Impala.
hondaficionado
Profile for hondaficionado
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2003 14:32
Assuming "... but it's ugly" and "I'm the man of the house so you have to live with my decision" reasoning won't fly, so...

Go to Edmunds.com and look at total cost of ownership after 5 years. An Accord EX-V6 has lower TCO than a similarly equipped Impala. And unless you plan to keep this car forever and never sell it, keep in mind a Chevy is going to depreciate way faster than a Honda (reference Edmunds TCO calculation). Of course, if you do keep it forever, I think you would still be better off in the long run. The Honda is just going to last a lot longer and cause far fewer hassles.

What qualities does your wife value in a vehicle? Perhaps we can help you attack specific points that would cause her rethink her decision.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2003 14:56
Just drive one. Outside of the powetrain, which provides adequate thrust and smooth shifting, there isn't much to recommend this car to anyone save the nationalistic, brand-centric, or _extremely_ purchase cost sensitive person.

SC

vtechbrain
Profile for vtechbrain
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2003 15:19
She's just afraid that you will pay more attention to your new car than to her. That's why she's pushing for the shitty car. Just tell her that if your forced to buy an Impala you will also get a mistress (to at least have some excitement) that should dissuade her on the spot
babyvoxfan
Profile for babyvoxfan
http://www.myimpalasucks.com/    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2003 17:20
http://www.myimpalasucks.com/

Last edited by JeffX on 11-03-2003 17:36
bollocks
Profile for bollocks
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2003 21:41
The Impala is a highly regarded automobile. You'll find all kinds of dirt on the Impala, just as you will find all kinds of dirt on the Accord and the Camry if you look hard enough.

Someone posted a link to "myimpalasucks.com". While this gentleman's experiences are certainly regrettable, they are not indicative of the average Impala owner's experience. Don't get me wrong, you'll find no greater fan of Honda than me, but not even Honda is perfect.

By the way, that website is a disgusting display of self-serving rhetoric. The guy is obviously after his pound of flesh - but then, who can blame him? His car had more than its fair share of problems right after the warranty expired, and he hasn't been getting much support from GM. Mind you, I bet you he would have gotten a much fairer shake from both the dealer and the manufacturer if he had just been nice about it. Judging him from his website writings, there's no doubt in my mind that he's a prick...

Double-O Smith
Profile for Double-O Smith
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-04-2003 01:08
Impala's a re actually alright. They're HUGE on the inside. Decent power. Now Impalas... THOSE are the softly sprung car for those who don't like driving.
vtechbrain
Profile for vtechbrain
Re: http://www.myimpalasucks.com/    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-04-2003 19:54
Websites like these should be required reading for all prospective big 3 buyers. They are a hoot and they are legion. When I was in collage there was a guy with a chevy citation that paited the whole car with protest logos about what a pice of junk the car was. He drove it around town to everybodies enjoyment. Yes honda and toyota lemons exist the difference is that they are the exception in big three cars they tend to be the norm.
babyvoxfan
Profile for babyvoxfan
Maybe you'd be pissed off too if your transmission failed at 38,000 miles!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-04-2003 20:50
Many dealers and manufacturers become disgusting displays of self-serving rhetoric once you have a problem during your warranty period, or heaven forbid, after it runs out.

bollocks wrote:
The Impala is a highly regarded automobile. You'll find all kinds of dirt on the Impala, just as you will find all kinds of dirt on the Accord and the Camry if you look hard enough.

Someone posted a link to "myimpalasucks.com". While this gentleman's experiences are certainly regrettable, they are not indicative of the average Impala owner's experience. Don't get me wrong, you'll find no greater fan of Honda than me, but not even Honda is perfect.

By the way, that website is a disgusting display of self-serving rhetoric. The guy is obviously after his pound of flesh - but then, who can blame him? His car had more than its fair share of problems right after the warranty expired, and he hasn't been getting much support from GM. Mind you, I bet you he would have gotten a much fairer shake from both the dealer and the manufacturer if he had just been nice about it. Judging him from his website writings, there's no doubt in my mind that he's a prick...

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, Normal) 11-04-2003 21:43

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: -1, Inflammatory) 11-05-2003 09:53

This message is below your viewing threshold, you may view the message by clicking on the link: View Message
Danny1
Profile for Danny1
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2003 18:08
I agree, I am not inclined to put a lot of weight on some bitter person's rants. At best, his opinion is only 1 data point anyways.

There are anit Honda websites also. Hell, some fool a while ago wrote a nice little piece explaining that VTEC was a marketing gimmick, provided no meaningful benefits ect..

So maybe GM is screwing this guy. I don't know. But to wallow in negativity will not help anything. This guy needs to sell his car, and get on with his life.

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, Normal) 11-05-2003 19:59

N/A
Message is below viewing threshold    (Score: 0, Normal) 11-05-2003 20:00

Double-O Smith
Profile for Double-O Smith
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2003 12:59
Anyone else getting a "this message is below your viewing threshold?
Solo1 S13
Profile for Solo1 S13
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2003 11:10
I would highly recommend you test drive both cars WITH your wife and see if it changes her mind (or yours). Dont let anything you read online or in a magazine cause you to make a premature decision.

That said....

Plusses for the accord:
-slightly better resale
-better mileage
-better quality and reliabilliy
-better interior

Plusses for the impala:
-A lot of car for the money (options, trunk space, power, seating room)
-better safety

Slawsk
Profile for Slawsk
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2003 23:05
Solo1 S13 wrote:
I would highly recommend you test drive both cars WITH your wife and see if it changes her mind (or yours). Dont let anything you read online or in a magazine cause you to make a premature decision.

That said....

Plusses for the accord:
-slightly better resale
-better mileage
-better quality and reliabilliy
-better interior

Plusses for the impala:
-A lot of car for the money (options, trunk space, power, seating room)
-better safety

Accord safety is better.

bollocks
Profile for bollocks
Re: Maybe you'd be pissed off too if your transmission failed at 38,000 miles!    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2003 23:58
babyvoxfan wrote:
Many dealers and manufacturers become disgusting displays of self-serving rhetoric once you have a problem during your warranty period, or heaven forbid, after it runs out.

If your transmission fails during the warranty period, it gets fixed for free. If it fails after the warranty expires, it does not get fixed for free. Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? He can argue all he wants about inherent defects and built-in obsolescence, but the fact remains that the poor guy's transmission failed after his warranty expired. If he had a case, it would be cheaper and better for his mental health to go to small claims court than to do what he's doing. The thing is, he doesn't have a case, and he knows it. That's what makes him an ass in my eyes.

Any contribution by the dealer or the manufacturer towards his repair are not "warranty", they are merely gestures of goodwill. Nowhere in the purchase agreement or the warranty documentation does it state that the dealer or the manufacturer are required to do this; they give goodwill consideration at their own discretion, in amounts that they feel are appropriate.

I'm sure guys like Mr. Impala might find this sort of arbitrary assistance unfair, but I think it reinforces basic human expectations of good behaviour.

In other words, if you're a good customer and/or a nice guy, you might get some help. Conversely, assholes, warranty hounds, know-it-alls and ignorant pricks who threaten to go public or "never buy a GM again!" get as little assistance as is humanly possible.

tegx2
Profile for tegx2
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2003 00:27
I will say that after driven an Impala for a lengthy period (over 2 months) as a rental for business, it's not a horrible car. The ride is smooth, albeit a bit floaty for my taste, the cabin quiet, loaded with nice features (why can't Honda put auto on/off lights on it's cars?) and decent power. However, being the Honda guy that I am, I wouldn't look to buying one. Having been the previous owner of an Accord, I can give the following arguments:

The build quality of the Accord will surpass the Impala. My rental had a 1/4 inch gab between dash materials right above the radio. The materials used on the Accord are better and will be more durable. Maintenance costs should be quite similar. Safety should be similar as well. The Accords engine is far more technologically advanced and will yield good mileage numbers. The handling is more responsive ( a good point for safety as well). Finally, the resale of an Accord is enormously better than and Impala. Plus, just ask her if she wants to drive a rental for an everyday driver...maybe that's the key to swaying the decision. Get an Impala for a rental. This will be a car that has been driven hard and will show how it holds up as well as whether she really still likes it after a week or so. Good Luck!

sleepercord
Profile for sleepercord
Re: Help stop the madness    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2003 19:48
well to help you on that situation tell her to test drive the acura tsx she wants the chevy impala???? heavier car lousy gas mileage and plus not to step on any domestic toes but it is american made and american technology has fallen off but i will share this i am pretty exited about the new gto coming out this year love that car but if i were you and her i would look at either the acura tl or the tsx based upon your taste

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0