[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hyundai i30 Fastback N (2019)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Tony Kannan

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Tony Kannan    (Score: 2, Interesting) 10-29-2003 23:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Today I saw TK at a Karting track doing a few laps. It was a sight to behold! As I approached my car I saw an M3 with the largest rotors I have ever seen on a car. The car was carelessly parked next to my precious Civic. I thought to my self "Gotta be some damn rich kid". Anyway, I found out from him that the front rotors are 17" and 16" in the rear!!! Wow! He also mentioned how Toyota are kicking their ass in the IRL. He laughed about it (maybe we take things a little too serious here!) saying, "yeah they're kicking our ass, but we will get them next year. Lets hope so.

Back to his driving.

I dont know that much about Karts but I know that his was not the fastest out there. There were 125cc shifters there, that on that track should hit close to 70mph. I saw him pass a shifter sideways doing about 55 mph, that is just not supposed to happen. He was driving a 125cc direct drive, Parilla. They are fast too but still. Also, there is a chicaine that leads to the 2nd fastest straight on the track. I would assume the terminal speed approaching it is between 50 and 60 mph. He took that turn by tapping the brake and setting the kart into a slide for about 15 meters hitting the apex of the 2nd part of the corner, all without missing a beat. It was a glorious sight to watch him do this lap after lap.

I dont know if anyone even cares but I just had to get it out. Considering he does not know the track as well as most of the people that were there he still ran the fastest lap times. A friend of mine that has been racing shifters for about 5 years was only 4 tenths faster than TK was in the Parilla!

pongkai
Profile for pongkai
Re: Tony Kannan    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2003 01:17
Pictures, man, do you got any pictures?? :)

Is he as goofy as he seems on TV? How long did you talk to him, and what else did you talk about?

Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Tony Kannan    (Score: 2, Informative) 10-30-2003 14:56
Ok, here is the part where you guys may want to kill me...

I did not get the chance. I heard he was going to be there too and even had a camera but never got the opportunity. The camera is still in my car and if he does come back I will be sure to get some photos. There were a bunch of people there kissing his ass so it was difficult to get too many words in with him.

Tony is a cool ass dude. He takes time to thank everyone that helps him when he comes to the track. He even signed a tire for one of the guys that works there. People like JPM go to the same track and acts like he does not want to be bothered. He is stand-off-ish to say the least. I have also seen Christian and Emmerson Fittapaldi (sp). He Christian, is more reserved but not unfriendly. Roberto Moreno has been there too. He is always sideways when he drives.

Of all the ones I've met I would have to say Tony has the best attitude. He was not goofy but he acted like he knew me when we spoke. He shook my hand when he was done and said ok man I will see you next time.

I mentioned this website and how we boo when Toy wins and cheer all of his and Hondas victories. He seemed to be interested enough, maybe it was out of being polite, but either way he did come off as a genuinely nice guy.

I promise, I will take pictures next time, thats if he ever comes back there.

floundericiousMI
Profile for floundericiousMI
Re: Tony Kannan    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2003 17:59
Dude!? Where the hell is this TRACK!? :-)
HKUSP40C
Profile for HKUSP40C
Re: Tony Kannan    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2003 21:50
This was in Opa Locka right? JPM races out there too, his father owns one of those bays there and his brother races there. One day I was looking for a shop that did my kitchen cabinets, but I ended up knocking on one of the doors for a karting shop there and TK answered the door, I was speechless.
Neilap
Profile for Neilap
Re: Tony Kannan    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2003 21:57
Yes, in the "heart of the ghetto"!! Its in Opa Loca. They rent out some 6hp karts on Mon, Tue Thur and Fri. On Wed. the racers get to practice all day. If I ever hear of any driver coming there again I will let you guys know just incase. Usually they just show up though, or so I have been told.
HKUSP40C
Profile for HKUSP40C
Re: Tony Kannan    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-30-2003 22:11
lol yeah its right next to the flea market. I used to rent the karts there then I bought my own, but I sold it after a few months.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0