[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 17:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, in Lincoln AL.

4000 associates at the plant, the city of Lincoln has 6600 residents. Talladega County has 82K residents. Nearby, the city of Talladega has 16K residents.

So, it seems like HMA is one big employer in that county.

0.4% of the County is "Asian". I guess that must be 64 folks working at HMA.

Talladega Speedway is in Lincoln. How come they don't race RWD "Accords" in NASCAR?

It doesn't seem like they have any good asian supermarkets, the closet I found online was a "generic asian" market in Birmingham, about half an hour away.

+++++

This year will mark the 50th anniversary of the CB750. Amazing.

+++++

Even more amazing, American Honda is a little younger than me. June 11 '19 will mark 60 years in North America. Things are changing. The first wave retired a long time ago, the second wave is retiring now... sort of sad to go the Christmas Party and realize how much the group has changed. Those were real motorcycle and car people. The current wave, not so much. Hmmm...

But, hey, my kids are done with college and with jobs.... Time to get me a CTR and keep its keys away from my wife. ;-)

BTW, if you get to see AHM's "museum" on Van Ness, you will see a facsimile of that facade... pretty cool.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 11:45

TonyEX...I enjoyed your post on the 50th anniversary of the CB750. I think that few people who frequent this site understand the importance of this iconic model, on Honda's success...and even its survival. There is a very real chance that there would be no Temple of VTEC, no NSX, no Accord, Civic or Honda F1 program, if this bike had not been such a smash success.

Here is some background and behind-the-scene details on Honda's launch of the CB750 and their win at the 1970 Daytona 200...

Honda Motor in Japan had put their money on the 3 hot English riders...only grudgingly allowing a 4th bike to go to an American Honda effort...led by Bob Hansen and Dick Mann. At 36, Mann was considered over the hill and a long shot to win, by Honda Motor, Japan...he was added as an afterthought. But the old grey-beard was smart enough and savvy enough about engines to nurse the bike home, failing cam-chain tensioner and all.

One of the team mechanics for Mann, Bob Jameson, was conscientious enough to have spent the night before the 200 race, replacing the cam-chain and its tensioners in Mann's bike, after its many-miles of practice that day. While the English team mechanics had a lighthearted attitude about all this...perhaps choosing to go out and "have a pint" that night before. "No cam-chain replacement needed here, mate."

At the release of the CB750, there had been a lot of skepticism about whether or not Honda could pull-off such a radical design. All kinds of talk about the 2 center cylinders overheating, etc, etc. Think what a nightmare it would have been for Honda if all 4 bikes had failed to finish that race...which very easily could have happened, 3 of them did not finish. I have a Honda Motor retiree friend in Japan who was stationed at AHM for several years and I became quite close to him. He tells me that due to the disastrous H1300 air-cooled Auto (he worked on its assembly line), Honda Motor was actually in a serious financial situation in late 1968...with a bankruptcy not out of the question. He said the totally unexpected, wild success of the CB750, single-handedly pulled Honda's fat out of the fire.

So, a very successful launch of the CB750 (fueled by its Daytona win) played a big part in Honda's basic survival. That means we all owe Dick Mann a big debt of gratitude, for nursing that bike home that day. The lives we enjoyed while working for Honda, and the good retirement we now enjoy, all hung by a slender thread that fateful day in Daytona...or, more accurately, they hung by a CR750 cam-chain.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 12:39
How about the 1973 CR 250 Elsinore!!??

game changer in motocross....the end of Europe rule in motocross until now

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 13:18

Yes...but it did not bring in the cubic dollars for Honda that the CB750 (and 6 years later, the GL1000) did. And the success of the CB750 at Daytona in 1970, raised the image of all Hondas for most of the rest of the '70s. With well over 100,000 CB/CL350s sold. Astounding for a single model.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 14:24
CB77 wrote:

So, a very successful launch of the CB750 (fueled by its Daytona win) played a big part in Honda's basic survival. That means we all owe Dick Mann a big debt of gratitude, for nursing that bike home that day. The lives we enjoyed while working for Honda, and the good retirement we now enjoy, all hung by a slender thread that fateful day in Daytona...or, more accurately, they hung by a CR750 cam-chain.

Yep. Thanks.

Mann really nursed that bike home. I guess that towards the end he was backing off and coasting as much as possible.

Honda lore for sure.

Then, the CB400F came out. And the six banger bikes.

I used to joke that I should take out the CVCC motor from my '76 Wagon and put a six banger Honda motor. Imagine what would have happened back at home if someone had done that. "What, some American put an air cooled engine in a Civic! See Takeo-San? I was right!" ;-)

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 15:37
TonyEX wrote:
CB77 wrote:

Yep. Thanks.

Mann really nursed that bike home. I guess that towards the end he was backing off and coasting as much as possible.

Honda lore for sure.

I used to joke that I should take out the CVCC motor from my '76 Wagon and put a six banger Honda motor. Imagine what would have happened back at home if someone had done that. "What, some American put an air cooled engine in a Civic! See Takeo-San? I was right!" ;-)

Ha!! Flying ashtrays...then we would hear: "I TOLD you air-cooled cars would work!"

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 18:06
CB77 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
CB77 wrote:

Yep. Thanks.

Honda lore for sure.

Ha!! Flying ashtrays...then we would hear: "I TOLD you air-cooled cars would work!"

Hey, speaking of which, you can't even order an ashtray and cigarette lighter for your Honda anymore.

I used to use the ashtray as coin storage and the lighter as a power adapter.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 19:33

Don't get me started on coin boxes...or I will tell the story again about Mr. Honda getting furious when he did not like the angle of the icon on the coin box that said "Coin", when he first saw the 1976 Accord.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 19:59
CB77 wrote:

Don't get me started on coin boxes...or I will tell the story again about Mr. Honda getting furious when he did not like the angle of the icon on the coin box that said "Coin", when he first saw the 1976 Accord.

One of those things we took for granted, the coin box to the left of the steering wheel.

I guess I didn't notice when it went away. Early 00s?

Yeah, I remember the tales of Mr. Honda's temperament. A bit hot around the ears if it wasn't ALL done to his satisfaction. As you know, that '76 Accord hatchback was a masterpiece and he picked on the coin box...

Can you imagine his reaction if they'd given him a '76 Buick and told him it was a Honda? He would have shot the entire R&D department - after boinking on the head each and everyone with a 4 lb glass ashtray.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2019 11:18

Oh Well...here it is again. The Coin Box story:

THE 1976 ACCORD

In the fall of 1976, I was a Honda District Manager travelling in my sales district with one of the Honda Japan staff, Mr. Shimizu. As we drove along, I was going on and on about how great the new Accord was. He then related this hilarious story to me:

"In Japan, at the just-completed Datsun dealer convention (before the name change) the dealers were all furious about the new Accord and how good it was and how lame all the Datsun offerings were by comparison (and the fact that no Datsun answer to the new Accord was shown at their convention). In an attempt to appease their dealers, the Datsun president said in his address to the dealers: 'Don't worry about the new Accord, Honda can't make them fast enough'. The dealers all went into an even bigger rage...they did not find his comment comforting."

Their president was obviously trying to say that Honda did not have much production capacity at that time for this new car, so it might not hurt Datsun's sales too much...but it sure came off the wrong way.

He also told me another amusing Mr. Honda story about the first Accord. As you know, Mr. Honda had been retired almost 3 years at this time, so he was starting to be less involved in the design work on new products, than he used to be. If you have owned (or sat in) a 1976 Accord, you may have noticed that the little handle on the coin box at the far left end of the dash had a small sign that said "Coin". I am somewhat OCD, and had also noticed on my 1976 Accord that the angle of this little sign was just a little off (could have been angled a little more toward the driver)...no big deal, but I did notice it. When Mr. Honda came to see and sit in the new Accord, he also noticed this, and flew into a rage about it. The car must have already been in production, because I did not see this corrected that model year.

I always liked this "coin box lid" story, because it was a glimpse behind the scenes at Mr. Honda's behavior during product development. I had always suspected this fanatical attention to detail by him, in his products...this story confirmed it. If he was so concerned about a seemingly minor detail like the angle of the "Coin" sign on the coin box lid, you can bet he was also concerned about the quality of the steel in the crankshaft and the styling of the car.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0