[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 17:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
American Honda assigns the VIN when the production is planned.

So, we know the VIN number of the cars we order.

They also used to hash our last name into the production ID. It's part of the "Not For Sale" monroney sticker. I supposed I ought to check the truck's.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 19:00
Nick GravesX wrote:
honduh wrote:

The e38 was my favorite 7.

Such a boringly reductive design, yet it is handsome and unmistakably BMW. Alpina wheels notwithstanding...

It's all in the proportion and not in over-worked details.

Oddly, Hondas from around that time are often quite similar, yet not confusingly so.

I wonder if it could happen again?

I hope so. I think the simple Honda exteriors matched well with the elegant simplicity of the working bits underneath from the golden era. Does that mean wing face and DPG signifies glitchy electronics of this era?

To an extent I can forgive some of the design compromises that come with modernization...larger intakes for cooling turbos or brakes or needing higher hoods so that deer can survive.

Another disturbing trend is the lack of sight-lines of modern cars. Look at the low beltline of the e38 7er or better yet the panoramic view of the 4G Accord. Honda should never give up maintaining an airy cabin and good sight-lines. I trust my eyes, which naturally stay clean, over cameras that get obfuscated by road poop.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 20:29
TonyEX wrote:

They also used to hash our last name into the production ID. It's part of the "Not For Sale" monroney sticker. I supposed I ought to check the truck's.

Indeed. We got the VIN last week and I'm pretty sure no work other than planning its production has happened yet.

Harvey Jr
Profile for Harvey Jr
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-23-2019 12:35
gofast182 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

Indeed. We got the VIN last week and I'm pretty sure no work other than planning its production has happened yet.

Hey guys. So the next step is "Body shop/serial assign".

As I understand it, the car is in line to be produced, and once the body begins to be assembled, your VIN will be assigned to it, but not stamped or etched. Until that time it is cross referenced with a girder for the body carrier bars.

The VIN is later etched into the upper frame rail after paint, and early in the assembly process.

In this video, you can catch a glimpse of the location and kind of make out the etch at about the 10:44 mark. On the left (passenger's side) upper from rail, you see a rectangular cutout in the engine bay plastic in front of the windshield reservoir cap. Video: https://youtu.be/88-wIvt12yE

Using a process very similar to this: https://youtu.be/K2l_Qnwa0gE

See most of the assembly processes and power train marriage here: https://youtu.be/4JbnsL1tAaU

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 13:50
Well our car was built this morning! Many thanks to Harvey Jr for helping us understand the process and keep tabs on the progress in addition to the basic information we can see on the BMW site. It's in final quality check now and once it gets out I suspect we'll be getting an email from the Performance Center to confirm the delivery date. Last week our dealer reserved 2/22, that was the first availability they had due to demand.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 17:13
Today we said goodbye to the MDX. It has been a great car and companion over the last 7 years. It has taken us near and far, hauled countless pounds of junk to the dump, countless numbers of shrubs and flowers home from the nursery, taken numerous friends and family, towed my S2000, and served as my car camping base at track weekends.

Some irony: We went 7 years without a CEL until last week when a code for the VTEC solenoid was thrown. Instead of replacing the part, we read that someone had it go away after an oil change so we tried that. Lo and behold it worked!
Also filed under irony is yesterday, hours before the trade, we got a letter in the mail from Acura stating then engine will be warrantied until 125,000 miles due to faulty oil rings causing excess consumption (I've added about 1.5qt. between the last few oil changes). I won't say that was the main factor in our decision to move on but it was a contributor.

Tomorrow we fly down to Greenville/Spartanburg as we prepare for our Performance Center Delivery experience. We will pick up our brand new X5 on Friday morning.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 20:34
Hope you enjoy the delivery process and the new X5.
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 10:30
gofast182 wrote:
Today we said goodbye to the MDX. It has been a great car and companion over the last 7 years. It has taken us near and far, hauled countless pounds of junk to the dump, countless numbers of shrubs and flowers home from the nursery, taken numerous friends and family, towed my S2000, and served as my car camping base at track weekends.

Some irony: We went 7 years without a CEL until last week when a code for the VTEC solenoid was thrown. Instead of replacing the part, we read that someone had it go away after an oil change so we tried that. Lo and behold it worked!
Also filed under irony is yesterday, hours before the trade, we got a letter in the mail from Acura stating then engine will be warrantied until 125,000 miles due to faulty oil rings causing excess consumption (I've added about 1.5qt. between the last few oil changes). I won't say that was the main factor in our decision to move on but it was a contributor.

Tomorrow we fly down to Greenville/Spartanburg as we prepare for our Performance Center Delivery experience. We will pick up our brand new X5 on Friday morning.

Funny you mention that, we got our letter from Acura on Tuesday re: the engine. Doesn't really do us much good as our 11 MDX has 137k miles. My hope is it will spur the better half to finally make a decision on a vehicle. We were close in December, but she thought every car we looked at was too expensive. She did like the X3 the best out of all we drove (and an 18 RDX Advance), but thinks it might be a tad too small. When I asked her about a new car a few weeks ago, she said now she's thinking X5...guess she forgot about "too expensive". :)

Enjoy the PCD! I heard it's great. Haven't done yet, but that or European Delivery is on the bucket list at some point.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 16:59
If I were comparing 4cyl trims I might have a hard time justifying the X3 over the RDX unless the discount was steep. I don't think one is really bigger than the other so if the size of one doesn't work I don't think either would?

The only thing I can say re: the X5 is while it is very expensive we got 7% off MSRP, several thousand in rebates, and a favorable APR. Add in the trade and it wasn't as bad as the sticker suggests. The trick is finding a month when all of those things align to produce the right deal.

We're in Greenville, SC now and so far the treatment has been top notch. They picked us up in a new X5, chauffeured us in and out of the downtown area and made sure everything was set up for meals, etc.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 17:21
A great way to start one's new car ownership!
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2019 17:47
btw cksi1372, if you told us even 3 months ago we'd be buying a vehicle with the sticker price of the X5, I'd have told you there's no way in heck we'd be doing that. But after the test drive it was just so nice to drive and so nice to be in (even compared to the X3 M40i) the talk turned to how can we make this work.
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-23-2019 18:33
gofast182 wrote:
btw cksi1372, if you told us even 3 months ago we'd be buying a vehicle with the sticker price of the X5, I'd have told you there's no way in heck we'd be doing that. But after the test drive it was just so nice to drive and so nice to be in (even compared to the X3 M40i) the talk turned to how can we make this work.

Thanks, gofast for the insight. Post up some pics and your build, if you don't mind...I don't believe I saw your build in the 7 pages of the thread. Also, the better half's sister just moved to Greenville, so perhaps I can talk her into picking up a new X5 at PCD, IF we go the X5 route. Drove the MDX today and still a solid vehicle, but little things starting to crop up and ultimately affect me when I hear the complaints. :)

Did you still have to pay the Destination/Handling Charge when picking up in SC?

trexdoc
Profile for trexdoc
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 00:10
live just south of downtown Greenville, SC - one of the best developed downtown areas in the country - don't forget to check out Falls Park/Liberty Bridge - BMW/Michelin have significantly transformed the Upstate of SC - enjoy the new ride and safe travels!
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 16:49
trexdoc wrote:
live just south of downtown Greenville, SC - one of the best developed downtown areas in the country - don't forget to check out Falls Park/Liberty Bridge - BMW/Michelin have significantly transformed the Upstate of SC - enjoy the new ride and safe travels!

We spent Thursday afternoon walking around Greenville. The downtown area was very nice and Falls Park was, too. To our surprise, daffodils were up, Bradford Pears were blooming, and it felt like spring. The falls were absolutely raging due to the large amounts of rain the area has seen recently. On Greenville in general, there is a ton of development going on in the area, lots of construction which bodes well for the economy.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 17:21
Our build:

X5 xDrive40i
-M Sport Design
--Mineral White Metallic
--Black Vernasca Leather
--Anthracite Matte Poplar Wood Trim
---Premium Package
---Parking Assistance Package
----Harman Kardon Surround System
----M Sport Brakes
----Remote Engine Start
----Heated Front Armrests
----Trailer Hitch
----Space Saver Spare

I will post some pics in another reply. Believe it or not, my wife is the one that pushed for spending the extra on the M Sport package. You can build a very nice xLine Design and add the 738 style wheels (which look fantastic) and save several thousand.

No doubt the MDX is a decent choice (although I still have some reservations about the ZF 9AT) and if it had the new interior from the RDX there is a good chance we'd be driving one now because we know it's reliable and it does look great on the outside. We're just not huge fans of touch screens as a primary interface in cars and Acura's setup is already dated in looks and function.

Re: destination, yes we still have to pay destination when doing PCD but look at it like this: instead of using $995 to cover transportation of the vehicle to the dealer they're giving you $995 worth of content with the experience (chauffeur service, hotel room, dinner, breakfast, on track drills at the Performance Center, lunch, an incredibly thorough vehicle orientation/setup, off road course, and a factory tour).

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 17:46
The Performance Center Delivery was an incredible experience. As I mentioned previously, it includes chauffeur service from the airport (and wherever you'd like to go in the area) in a new BMW, a hotel room, dinner, breakfast, on-track drills (you drive a car like yours), a hot lap in a M car (the instructor drives), a comprehensive delivery, lunch, an off road course (you drive a car like yours), and a factory tour. We were treated wonderfully, like VIPs by the staff at the hotel and at the performance center. I won't load this up with too many pics but enough to give you an idea. As Acura revamps its lineup in the same manner as the RDX they'd do well to offer something similar (not just for the NSX).

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 17:59
Marketing, marketing, marketing. Makes you feel better about how much you just spent, and leaves you with "feel good" vibe for years. :)

Honda/Acura? In your dreams............ :(

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 18:16
sadlerau wrote:
Marketing, marketing, marketing. Makes you feel better about how much you just spent, and leaves you with "feel good" vibe for years. :)

Honda/Acura? In your dreams............ :(

Indeed. It was the most expensive free experience we've ever had! Something else became apparent to me, BMW also makes sure the hotel staff gets to go through the same thing or at least is taken to the Performance Center and trained on what happens. Every staff member from the guy driving the shuttle to the waiter in the restaurant knew details about what was in store for us that they couldn't have otherwise known. It helped them talk it up to us (and helped make sure we didn't worry about the logistics). I thought that was a nice touch, making sure no one in the process misses a beat.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 18:34
Pride in Brand Ownership, to the next level.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 21:58
gofast182 wrote:
The Performance Center Delivery was an incredible experience. As I mentioned previously, it includes chauffeur service from the airport (and wherever you'd like to go in the area) in a new BMW, a hotel room, dinner, breakfast, on-track drills (you drive a car like yours), a hot lap in a M car (the instructor drives), a comprehensive delivery, lunch, an off road course (you drive a car like yours), and a factory tour. We were treated wonderfully, like VIPs by the staff at the hotel and at the performance center. I won't load this up with too many pics but enough to give you an idea. As Acura revamps its lineup in the same manner as the RDX they'd do well to offer something similar (not just for the NSX).

That's awesome, congrats on the new ride! Looks great!

It looks like they took good care of you in Greenville. Greenville is a cool little town. We used to go there one or two times per year with soccer tournaments.

Harvey Jr
Profile for Harvey Jr
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2019 23:10
So glad you had a great experience!

Enjoy your X5. Let me know of you ever come through the area again, maybe our schedules will work out.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2019 04:43
Amazing buying experience !! Ohhhh Hondura you have so much to learn ..
Congratulations on your car. Enjoy

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2019 05:04
Less-shiny plastics aside, that interior reminds me of a Honda of some sort - must be the air vents, I think.

Hope you enjoy it - keep us posted!

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2019 06:39
Harvey Jr wrote:
So glad you had a great experience!

Enjoy your X5. Let me know of you ever come through the area again, maybe our schedules will work out.

Thanks so much. They put us on the afternoon factory tour so we ended up in the X3 Hall around 2:30 immediately following the off-road course.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2019 10:12
Nick GravesX wrote:
Less-shiny plastics aside, that interior reminds me of a Honda of some sort - must be the air vents, I think.

Yeah BMW and Honda have both used the waterfall theme for a long time. It works for ergonomics.

We actually opted for a matte wood trim (real wood), the other wood trim options were all glossy. There are some shiny bits in there that don't show up well in the photo, gloss black plastic on the center console and around the vents and the metal is real metal. Overall this new interior design is as good as if not better than Audi in materials and construction, a massive step up from the interior in my 3 series which clicks like a cheap Chinese toy.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2019 12:24
gofast182 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

Yeah BMW and Honda have both used the waterfall theme for a long time. It works for ergonomics.

We actually opted for a matte wood trim (real wood), the other wood trim options were all glossy. There are some shiny bits in there that don't show up well in the photo, gloss black plastic on the center console and around the vents and the metal is real metal. Overall this new interior design is as good as if not better than Audi in materials and construction, a massive step up from the interior in my 3 series which clicks like a cheap Chinese toy.

That could be price-point; I understand that whilst an XE is clicky & Honda-cheap, the XF is a lot better.

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2019 20:48
Sounds like a great experience - top-notch!

I like the looks of all the 3 series cars lined up - too bad you didn't get to drive the M car- judging by your experience tracking the S2K - you probably would've done very well.

Not only a neat experience for you - but also likely a great excercise in creating warm and fuzzies and instant brand allegiance. Who knows - between your new luxury vehicle and the white glove experience and treatment - they may have created some level of brand loyalty in you in a matter of days - that which may have taken years of (mostly mundane) car ownership for Honda to achieve.

I agree with what's been said... RE: Acura following suit if they truly intend to up their game. Seems like they could do this around the NSX plant in OH if they wanted to. Create an Acura Heritage center like they have an hour away in Marysville. www.hondaheritagecenter.com

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2019 22:11
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Sounds like a great experience - top-notch!

I like the looks of all the 3 series cars lined up - too bad you didn't get to drive the M car- judging by your experience tracking the S2K - you probably would've done very well.

Not only a neat experience for you - but also likely a great excercise in creating warm and fuzzies and instant brand allegiance. Who knows - between your new luxury vehicle and the white glove experience and treatment - they may have created some level of brand loyalty in you in a matter of days - that which may have taken years of (mostly mundane) car ownership for Honda to achieve.

I agree with what's been said... RE: Acura following suit if they truly intend to up their game. Seems like they could do this around the NSX plant in OH if they wanted to. Create an Acura Heritage center like they have an hour away in Marysville. www.hondaheritagecenter.com

It truly was top notch. As for brand loyalty, they definitely helped their case but I still have doubts that it will be as reliable or easy to maintain as the MDX, although pad changes with these Brembos does look very easy. My car is a lease so it was never a question but we like to buy the car my wife drives as we did with the X5.

If I may brag a bit, my wife selected the X5 equipped with General Grabber off road tires for our track exercises (I noticed but didn't want to run ahead of the other couple already halfway to the next X5 equipped with performance tires) and even on a wet handling course with those tires I caught the last guy by the end of the exercise. Also on the skidpad they gave us one of those white 340s lined up (RWD) and made us spin the car without VSA on. I was the only one who ended the spin with the car pointing in the right direction. :)

The hot lap the instructor gave us in the M3 was bonkers. He was sideways for most of it and could put the car exactly where he wanted.

It occurs to me that Acura has nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing something similar. If they do half as good a job as what we just went through, customers will like it. And with the RDX being very good in its class (especially if we ever see this elusive V6 model) and the MDX due within a year they'd be all set to build some goodwill.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2019 12:38
sennaFAN wrote:

For the extra cash you spend for the BMW, you should realize that you are paying for this experience.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Drove a VW Atlas and the new BMW X5...    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2019 13:33
RMTRADER wrote:
sennaFAN wrote:

For the extra cash you spend for the BMW, you should realize that you are paying for this experience.

So true!

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0