[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Driveô
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Swindon in peril

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Author
  Post New Thread
DCR
Profile for DCR
Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2019 10:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47282603

Honda set to close Swindon car plant

Japanese carmaker Honda is set to announce the closure of its Swindon plant in 2022, putting 3,500 jobs at risk, sources say.

The Japanese carmaker will shut the plant in 2022 but retain its European headquarters in Bracknell, Berkshire.

Sources say Honda will make an announcement on the future of the company on Tuesday morning.

Honda declined to comment on the claims, first reported by Sky News. The government also declined to comment.

But local Conservative MP Justin Tomlinson said he had spoken to Honda, which confirmed it was consulting with "all staff".

"There is not expected to be any job losses, or changes in production until 2021," Mr Tomlinson said.

Honda produces more than 100,000 Civic cars in Swindon for the global market. It is the firm's only factory in the EU.

What do the unions say?
Unite the union said the reports, if confirmed, would be a "shattering body blow" to UK manufacturing.

Its national officer for the automotive sector, Des Quinn, said: "We are seeking urgent clarification from Honda on the implications of these serious reports.

"We will be doing everything we can in the coming days and weeks to support our members at this grave time for them, their families and the UK economy.

"This will also affect thousands of jobs in the extensive supply chain across the country."

Is this about Brexit?
In a tweet, Mr Tomlinson said: "Honda are clear this is based on global trends and not Brexit, as all European market production will consolidate in Japan in 2021."

The car industry has also been struggling with falling demand in China and a slowdown in diesel sales.

Honda's Swindon plant produces both VTEC turbo petrol engines and diesel i-DTEC engines.

But according to Sky, Brexit is understood to be one factor in the decision, with the carmaker concerned about the imposition of new tariffs after the UK leaves the EU.

Rival Japanese carmaker Nissan also cited Brexit as one reason for cancelling plans to build its X-Trail SUV in Sunderland earlier this month.

And Ford, Toyota and Jaguar Land Rover have expressed concern about the risk of a potential no-deal Brexit in recent months.

Were there clues this was coming?
Only last autumn, Honda said it was committed to UK-based production regardless of the outcome of Brexit negotiations.

But last month, it said it would shut the Swindon factory for six days in April as part of its preparations for any disruption caused post-Brexit.

The company said the move was to ensure it could adjust to "all possible outcomes caused by logistics and border issues".

The firm said it would help in recovering lost production if shipments of parts were held up at borders.

Last year, the senior vice-president of Honda Europe warned that if the UK left the EU without a deal, it would cost his company tens of millions of pounds.

Ian Howells told the BBC that quitting the bloc without an agreement would affect the carmaker's competitiveness in Europe.

A history of Honda Swindon
Honda UK is situated on a former airfield spanning 370 acres to the north east of Swindon.

The carmaker bought the site in 1985 and established Honda of the UK Manufacturing to inspect vehicles pre-delivery.

In 1989, the operations expanded to producing engines. Three years later, a car plant was added, which began producing the Honda Accord.

Since then, the site has gone on to produce the Jazz, CR-V, Civic and Type R.

A second Honda car plant opened in Swindon in 2001, raising production capacity to 250,000 a year.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2019 10:56
Well, if they are to close the Swindon car plant - the best time to do it is when the next generation Civic (and then CRV) are released to global markets. Most likely the next Civic Type R (if there will be one?!), as well as certain other models, will most likely be manufactured in Japan.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2019 11:04
... and Brexit chaos is also causing upheaval in the world of F1, link:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/02/18/nightmare-brexit-could-hand-ferrari-an-advantage-wolff/

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2019 11:18
Swindon currently only builds the Civic 5dr and Europe is in Chaos, Germany is very close to recession, "Brexit", strikes in Belgium, France, the only reason to keep Swindon open was to build to supply 5 door for US now Trump won't allow it, it must be built in North America.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2019 11:38
BG wrote:
Swindon currently only builds the Civic 5dr and Europe is in Chaos, Germany is very close to recession, "Brexit", strikes in Belgium, France, the only reason to keep Swindon open was to build to supply 5 door for US now Trump won't allow it, it must be built in North America.

Certain markets (for e.g., UK, JP, AU, NZ) are RHD. Therefore, unless US will manufacture not just LHD but also some RHD vehicles, then the most likely scenario, is Honda's RHD vehicles will be manufactured in Japan (or Thailand) - as some RHD models are already built there.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2019 11:53
Another article on the "nightmare" scenario of no-deal Brexit for F1 teams based in UK, link:
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-no-deal-brexit-uk-brackley-brixworth/4339906/

Which possibly could mean non-UK based F1 teams, like Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Haas (all coincidentally with Ferrari based Power Units) could end-up blitzing the entire F1 season - a fait accompli even on the first day of winter testing for F1!

LOL? It's not really a laughing matter!!!

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2019 11:58
Honda has been planning and working on leaving Swindon the past 5 years.The new Japan/EU trade agreement was Swindon plants death.

The next Civic was planned from day one to be made in Japan and shipped to Europe.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2019 14:20
RolledaNsx wrote:
Honda has been planning and working on leaving Swindon the past 5 years.The new Japan/EU trade agreement was Swindon plants death.

The next Civic was planned from day one to be made in Japan and shipped to Europe.

Thanks for the Insight, (or should I say Civic) Rolled!

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 12:20
Finally!

Bloody good for nothing incompetent HME bummers, your heads gonna roll and that was more than well deserved. I hope you'll end up in a pool of sewage, where scum like you belongs to.

That's what you get for sabotaging the company since 2009, killing off Hybrids, reducing the lineup to nearly non existant, wasting money for Diseasel and Turbo-Downsizing crap.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/honda-sees-hybrid-cr-v-filling-diesels-void

I'm all for importing Hondas directly from Japan and take over the Japenese or Chinese lineup.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 12:34
And that's what I'm talking about

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/honda-will-close-uk-turkey-plants-restructuring-move
As part of the realignment, Honda said it will commonize the European lineup with the brandís offerings in China, where environmental standards put similar demands on emissions. Future product for Europe will be exported from Honda plans in Japan and China, Hachigo said.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 13:06
KaizenDo wrote:

Bloody good for nothing incompetent HME bummers, your heads gonna roll and that was more than well deserved. I hope you'll end up in a pool of sewage, where scum like you belongs to.

Don't hold back now KaizenDo, tell us what you really think!
:)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 13:27
I've rather missed KaizenDo's rants.

You know when Youtubers overdub the 'defeat' scene in the bunker? That always plays in my mind...

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 14:59
superchg2 wrote:
KaizenDo wrote:

Don't hold back now KaizenDo, tell us what you really think!
:)

Pretty sure you'd be the last person interested. And it's kinda mutual :)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 15:05
Nick GravesX wrote:

You know when Youtubers overdub the 'defeat' scene in the bunker? That always plays in my mind...

He does seem to have that bunker outlook on things.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 15:11
Nick GravesX wrote:

There was not much interesting to rant about meanwhile, as I don't share the interest of some fellow american TOVers in pointless discussions about why Honda doesn't have an RWD V8.

What is interesting though, are potential changes that we'll be seeing in Hondas lineup for Europe.

http://www.honda.com.cn/funtec/#cars-title

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 16:50
KaizenDo wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

There was not much interesting to rant about meanwhile, as I don't share the interest of some fellow american TOVers in pointless discussions about why Honda doesn't have an RWD V8.

What is interesting though, are potential changes that we'll be seeing in Hondas lineup for Europe.

http://www.honda.com.cn/funtec/#cars-title

If I drive on reverse, and drive the same road twice, does that mean our Civic Coupe is a V8 RWD?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 17:09
I'd guess the whole thing is a confluence of factors:

(1) Honda of Europe is a product mess.

(2) The politicians in the UK are absolute fuck ups. They should have done a clean break with the EU and then a craft a bilateral agreement with the US. Trump has already hinted at that.

(3) The EU is a mess as well. No one in their right mind would invest in the EU at this point of time.

(4) The Euros are very ethnocentric.

(5) The no auto tariff deal between the EU and Japan seals the deal. Keep the factory running in the Far East, put them on a boat and ship them to Amsterdam, or the like.

There is no sense in building cars in the UK into a sea of uncertainty. But who knows? If May et. al. finally do something, it may make it worthwhile to build cars in the UK for export to NA.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 17:47
TonyEX wrote:

(2) The politicians in the UK are absolute fuck ups. They should have done a clean break with the EU and then a craft a bilateral agreement with the US. Trump has already hinted at that.

(3) The EU is a mess as well. No one in their right mind would invest in the EU at this point of time.

(5) The no auto tariff deal between the EU and Japan seals the deal. Keep the factory running in the Far East, put them on a boat and ship them to Amsterdam, or the like.

There is no sense in building cars in the UK into a sea of uncertainty. But who knows? If May et. al. finally do something, it may make it worthwhile to build cars in the UK for export to NA.

You forgot (6) The US is the biggest mess of all, and you've got the right man to make it even bigger, so you need a wall around it.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 17:56
KaizenDo wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

You forgot (6) The US is the biggest mess of all, and you've got the right man to make it even bigger, so you need a wall around it.

Ahhh.... You just had to bring it up, didn't you?

Commie.

;-P

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 18:12
Honda sees Europe and China as the same market (EV only) in the future with China being lead market (Europe dying).

NA Market as a island(doing it's own thing)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 19:03
Well, maybe if they bring some of the interesting Dongfengs over here (thanks Kaizen!) they might have a hope in hell of not dying faster than the rest of Europe.

BTW Tony; our politicians aren't fuck-ups. They're self-important, too self-worshipping to bother to find out about stuff, imbecilic, treacherous complete and utter fuck-ups. Even when workable models were presented to them on a fucking plate, they pretended that they didn't exist.

Next time, most of the country will vote for Guy Fawkes. Probably.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 19:08
RolledaNsx wrote:
Honda sees Europe and China as the same market (EV only) in the future with China being lead market (Europe dying).

Well, we are the Center Of The Universe.

Let the Middle Kingdom and the Euros deal with that. If they want their cars to look like Marklin sets, powered via a pantograph, they can do so. Then when Big Brother, of The Chairman decides that all citizens must stop, they just flip the switch and the overhead wires go dead.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 21:45
RolledaNsx wrote:

Sure wish Honda (esp. Acura) would stop acting like it is marooned on Gilliganís Island.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2019 23:03
superchg2 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

He does seem to have that bunker outlook on things.

To this day I'm sure he's still looking for direct injection issues on Honda Accords.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 00:08
Ahh, yeah, that old German Bunker Mentality and those overdubbed videos of our favorite Teutonic dictator.

My absolute FAVORITE.

At work we really ROTFLOL when we watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDeG4S-mJts

Hint.. we use Git as code repository.

"Even our new formula to cure cancer is exclusively in git"

"If you have never successfully executed a git command please leave the room"

"The code is in git, but currently no one can access it"

"You can shove your HEAD^^"

This one is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, even Linus must have laughed his head off on this gem:

"Linus uses CVS at home"

ABSOLUTELY CLASSIC. Who says engineers and scientists don't have a sense of humor? ;-D

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 01:20
Honda and the Japanese Government both think that BEV is not the future.

Their thinking is hydrogen is the replacement for petrol and Diesel fuels.

BEV only for urban centers(short range vechicles).

But Honda must now make BEV to be in China(world's largest market).So as a after thought they will sell them in Europe but they will be made in Japan.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 05:03
RolledaNsx wrote:
Honda and the Japanese Government both think that BEV is not the future.

Their thinking is hydrogen is the replacement for petrol and Diesel fuels.

BEV only for urban centers(short range vechicles).

But Honda must now make BEV to be in China(world's largest market).So as a after thought they will sell them in Europe but they will be made in Japan.

I cannot disagree with them, given that Japan has a cheap source of hydrogen - as long as Fukushima doesn't drown again.

This does fit with your earlier musings about Honda becoming a 'boutique' operation in EU.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 12:02
TonyEX wrote:
KaizenDo wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

Ahhh.... You just had to bring it up, didn't you?

Commie.

;-P

You know what'll be funny? A russian president will visit the US in a few years and then will say something like this:

Oh, also i thought probably the politicians in UK have issues crafting a bilateral agreement with a country that's in shutdown. But it's just my guess ;)

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 12:36
Honda, the japanese government and likewise also Toyota are right in their view about BEVs. This is a niche technology which isn't working for the majority of people and in terms of CO2 emissions, modern Hybrids can do the same or even better.

The China green EV tale is big lie, when you take a closer look.

European politicians are spreading those fake stories in their non-scientific greenwashing campaigns. Plenty of people in Europe doesn't want BEVs which simply replace the exhaust pipes with the chimney of coal power plants.

Then there is all this babbling about self driving cars that we would need as cities getting more crowded. In Japan and other asian countries, the cities are crowded for decades already and people found solutions like the Kei Car which are effective and affordable.

The only thing that's dying in Europe are german dinosaur companies as VAG which are unable to produce modern engines and cars at affordable price. Hondas poor sales in the european market was fully up to HMEs incompetence and that they let them keep burning up company money. I'm pretty sure that the China lineup will work well, as dealers finally will have something again to put up in showrooms.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Swindon in peril    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2019 14:23
Japan is invested in pursuing a hydrogen economy. It extends beyond just transportation but also for instance in power generation for a holistic approach. Itís pretty ambitious but I understand the motivation such as for energy security, Japan currently imports most of the energy it consumes.

I think itís interesting California actually is the larger consumer of FCV than Japan but the latter has the largest number of refueling stations (*).

China relies on Fuel-cells as alternative energy for buses though because their electrification is tough so BEV isnít a solution there either.

I am curious what demonstration technology will appear in Tokyo olympics towards the hydrogen economy effort. I think the Fukuoka Hydrogen town project is interesting(**).

(*)
https://insideevs.com/there-is-only-6500-hydrogen-fuel-cell-cars-in-the-world-half-in-california-report/amp/I

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115396_germanys-hydrogen-stations-exceed-us-california-beats-japan-on-density

(**)
https://www.japanfs.org/sp/en/news/archives/news_id028694.html

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0