[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver's new site.
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Desmond Regamaster Installed!
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Re: K-Tuner For Sale!!!
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> 2020 Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author
  Post New Thread
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 08:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
bigblue wrote:
Vxtec wrote:
Thanks bigblue - pictures always say a lot more than just words.

Nevertheless, I will describe below those items you have pointed to

Thanks, but arrows were on the pic originally, not from me ! Thank AMuS :-)

BTW the Red Bull sidepods and rear are pretty crazy (they were last year, but this moves it on again) ! Hope Honda and RBR have their cooling calculations etc. correct. Sure they will have checked those a few times !

0r will it be McLaren and Possibly Renault with heating/cooling issues?!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 08:31
gofast182 wrote:
Another horrible nose, ugh. When can F1 make cars that are pretty and fast again?

VERY interesting front wing concept on that Alfa. 9 other teams are currently scrambling to simulate that configuration...

LOL!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 08:40
gofast182 wrote:
Another awful nose on the McLaren! At least they did something similar to Red Bull and tried to hide it with the contrast of black and a bright color. Overall I like the livery a lot.

I agree regarding the nose. As to the livery I still prefer the STR (even from last year's season). Although I wonder what the actual livery of the RB15 will be?

All of this and more we will know soon enough...

… and looking forward to Ferrari's launch tomorrow... will there be any major surprises (or even more new ideas than shown on the MCL34)?!

Tic Toc... Tic Toc... TIc Toc...

not long now before all of these new cars will be testing on the Barcelona circuit! Yeah! :-)

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 09:12
gofast182 wrote:
Another horrible nose, ugh. When can F1 make cars that are pretty and fast again?

Would not the Mercedes qualify?

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 09:17
An interesting "slider" compare:

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-one-mclaren-new-car-slide-view/4337672/?nrt=54

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 09:20
Great Red Bull RB15 technical analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp7YWGB_ywE

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 10:13
sadlerau wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

Would not the Mercedes qualify?

Yes it does. It is an attractive design from all angles and its fast; however, that seems to be the exception.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 21:39
One additional observation from the shakedown of the STR14 at Fiorano - the front wing elements were set-up differently to the launch car render in that they were tapered down towards the end-plate like shown on the RS19 launch car (however not to the extreme like Alfa Romeo where the outer elements were missing). Whereas the RB15 had the elements in the shakedown at Silverstone similar to the launch car render. So it seems Red Bull was observing both set-ups to see what kind of results they gave and be able to analyse the initial data - even though it would've been limited by the nature of film day and demonstration tyres.

So both Red Bull teams can now, in the remaining 4 days fine-tune and possibly change a few things, even though both cars ran smoothly, to optimise their preparation for the start of testing next Monday at Barcelona. Yeah! :-)

towncaptain
Profile for towncaptain
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 03:09
Excited for this season!
Red Bull uploaded a 360 video recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_LCm14zoeo

towncaptain
Profile for towncaptain
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 03:12
If no one has seen it yet, Red Bull uploaded a 360 video of its shakedown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_LCm14zoeo

BG
Profile for BG
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 04:12
Vxtec, aero is team specific, as much as TR can use suspension or chassis parts bin from RB, aero can only be developed by each individual team, they cannot share aero parts and data.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 04:44
gofast182 wrote:
[...] on the McLaren! [...] Overall I like the livery a lot.
+1

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 05:33
Ferrari launches it's 2019 car the SF90.

Links:
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-launch-2019-car-sf90/4338074/

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/photos-gallery-ferrari-sf90-car/4338114/#gal-4338114-0-ferrari-sf90

First impressions - it appears to be fairly conventional... maybe they are relying a lot on their powerful Ferrari PU!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 05:41
BG wrote:
Vxtec, aero is team specific, as much as TR can use suspension or chassis parts bin from RB, aero can only be developed by each individual team, they cannot share aero parts and data.

BG, I am fully aware that aero is team specific... so I did not imply they would share aero parts and a lot of the data... although, certain concepts and the associated data would be researched further, adapted/developed and tested - otherwise you would not see team's developing certain similar parts, including aero parts.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 06:22
I'll be interested to see the 2018 v. 2019 slider image to see what's different about Ferrari's new car. Other than the mandatory wing changes it's very hard to tell.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 06:36
Further observations of the SF90:

*The front wing is similar to Renault's launch car and the front wing which STr brought to their shakedown - so the elements tapere down towards the end-plates.

*The rear of the end-plates on the front wing are bent outwards as on other new cars.

*The sides of the nose has three slots similar to last year's McLaren - whereas McLaren has a profiled panel with one longitudinal slot on the new car.

*As expected the S-duct aperture is there although it's covered in the released photos.

*There is a bargeboard arrangement - but nothing out of the ordinary like the 'boomerang' type vanes seen on the RB15 and MCL34.

*The sidepod inlets are relatively large - almost like on the MCL34.

*The rear view mirror arrangement and mounting is very similar to Haas and STR cars. As presented, there are no slots however Ferrari having pioneered this concept will probably continue and refine it.

*Like the rest of the cars, except for Alfa Romeo, there no winglets on the HALO.

*The airbox inlet is uniquely triangular and the roll hoop is very narrow/slim - none of the other launched cars have this design.

*The sidepods do not appear to be as extremely tucked in as other cars (particularly in comparison to RB15 and STR14).

*The engine cover is narrow like most of the other cars (unlike the bulky cover seen on the Alfa Romeo).

*There is a dual T-wing - whereas, all those other cars with a T-wing have a single slim wing.

*The rear wing has a straight lower section - whereas some cars like the RS19 and STR14 have a tapered one.

*Two swan mounts for the rear wing and DRS activation.

*The end-plates on the rear wing are similar to the MCL34.

*The wastegate tail pipes are vertically stacked uniquely on top of the exhaust pipe. In comparison, the wastegate tail pipes are vertically stacked uniquely below the exhaust pipe on the RB15. Both of these solutions allow for the rear bodywork to be tight/slim. Whereas on the STR14 and MCL34 the wastegate tail pipes are lowly mounted either side of the exhaust pipe - more typical arrangement (carried from last year's cars).

Overall impression, could be described as 'mostly typical 2019 F1 car' (and an evolution of last year's Ferrari car) with a few unique/extreme solutions - the small airbox entry and narrow roll hoop and dual stacked wastegates to tighten the package/bodywork at the rear. However, it's normal practice for teams to keep their cards close to their chest and not reveal too much, especially unique/pioneering and brilliant new ideas until pre-season testing and even the first few races (as they develop and apply new upgrades).

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 06:38
gofast182 wrote:
I'll be interested to see the 2018 v. 2019 slider image to see what's different about Ferrari's new car. Other than the mandatory wing changes it's very hard to tell.

I hope my previous post has provided some insights for you.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 07:02
One additional comment - the slim rear packaging on the SF90 implies a re-packaging of Ferrari's new power unit. So if there are any concerns about heating/cooling issues then there is a reason as to the relative large sidepod inlets (almost the size on the MCL34).

I wonder, could both Renault and Ferrari power units in their search for more performance have heating/cooling concerns and possibly lead to reliability issues this season - especially when racing at warmer circuits?! Ummm… could we really have a battle between Mercedes and Honda this year? Hopefully yes - however I suspect it will take Red Bull and Honda a while longer to achieve the very top level!

I will reinstate: We will know soon enough... pre-season testing starts Monday. Although, we might need to wait for a few races (including warmer ones) before we will have some indication of this year's F1 pecking order!

Us, Red Bull and Honda fans can hope and pray dreams become reality! Yeah! :-)

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 07:21
It looks like the Red Bull philosophy focused around the side pod shape, the small pods and the way they flow down and along the floor, so this required a lot of the cooling to be mounted above the power unit. Ferrari looked to take a lot of their top mounted cooling from last year and slim the top and mount it in the side pods which forced them to be larger. I'm curious if they abandoned their top mounted water intercooler to slim the top and lower the CoG.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 07:55
Dren wrote:
It looks like the Red Bull philosophy focused around the side pod shape, the small pods and the way they flow down and along the floor, so this required a lot of the cooling to be mounted above the power unit. Ferrari looked to take a lot of their top mounted cooling from last year and slim the top and mount it in the side pods which forced them to be larger.

I agree.

I'm curious if they abandoned their top mounted water intercooler to slim the top and lower the CoG.

I suspect they have removed it from the top.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 08:05
Updated order of rakes of launched cars, from most to least, appears to be (based on released photos - although could still be deceptive):

Red Bull, Renault, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Haas, (Racing Point), McLaren, Toro Rosso, Mercedes.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 08:08
A further comment on the SF90 - the wheelbase appears to be similar to last year's car.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 08:49

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 10:41
Vxtec wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

Yes but it takes very careful examination to come up with that list whereas changes on some of the other cars are much more apparent.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 20:03
gofast182 wrote:
Vxtec wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

Yes but it takes very careful examination to come up with that list whereas changes on some of the other cars are much more apparent.

I'm agreement.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 20:06
Vxtec wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Vxtec wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

I'm agreement.

Oops!

Correction: I'm in agreement.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 20:11
... and finally the launches are completed with pictures of Williams new car. Hooray!

Links:

https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-reveals-images-2019-car/4338286/

with video - https://www.racefans.net/2019/02/15/first-pictures-williams-produces-first-images-of-2019-car/

First impression - a fairly typical 2019 F1 car!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 20:19
Thanks NealX.

BTW, now that pictures of the final new car (FW42) have been released (and possibly once the true livery of the RB15 is revealed) would you like to add side pictures of the other 4 cars - so we can look at all ten cars. Thanks.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 21:06
Further comments on the FW42:

*Fairly conventional front wing (as presented).

*The rear of the front wing end-plates are bent outwards - similar to most other new cars launched.

*Coventional nose - rather than the slimmed versions on the W10 and MCL34.

*The S-duct opening is relatively conventional - unlike the openings on the RB15 and STR14.

*Nothing out of the ordinary in the bargeboards arrangement.

*No winglets on the HALO - like majority of teams (except the Alfa Romeo).

*An unconventional design item is a single horizontal mount of the rear view mirrors with no secondary vertical support - hopefully they will not affect rear view vision for the driver with unwelcomed vibrations. AT this stage, they do not have any slots either (unlike some of the other cars).

*Conventional airbox inlet on the FW42 - similar to other inlets on Mercedes powered cars (although the W10 inlet is less oval and a little more rectangular).

*Typical opening on the side -pods.

*The side pods are not tucked in a great deal and the engine cover is not slim.

*The edge of the floor adjacent to the side-pods has (what appears to be a unique/pioneering) longitudinal and slender lip however, the rear of the floor appears to have some fairly conventional slots/openings.

*The rear wing has a straight lower section (not tapered as on the RS19 and STR14).

*There are two swan mounts for the rear wing and DRS activation.

* Fairly conventional end-plates on the rear wing - not elaborates ones like the RB15 and STR14.

* The rear diffuser is again fairly conventional with no unique new items.

*Wheelbase and rake appears similar to last year's car.

Overall impressions - it appears to be fairly conventional with some refinements and adaptions for the new regulations. There are a couple of unique items (the single mount of the rear view mirrors and lip on the edge of the floor) however, will this be enough for Williams team (with Kubica and Russell driving the cars) to move them up the grid and from being granted the wooden spoon?! We will know soon enough - winter testing begins on Monday! Yeah! ;-)

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 21:08
Additional comment on FW42 - no T-wing or use of monkey seat between the two mounts for the rear wing.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0