[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
wesleyclark
Profile for wesleyclark
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 11:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I have always been puzzled by this. Why take a brand-new car, spend a lot of money to get to a desired level of performance, but put undesigned-for stresses on it and risk voiding your warranty?

Why not just take that money and get a car that meets your requirements and enjoy the piece of mind of the warranty?

Not expecting an actual answer, just thinking out loud.

None
Profile for None
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 12:13
wesleyclark wrote:
I have always been puzzled by this. Why take a brand-new car, spend a lot of money to get to a desired level of performance, but put undesigned-for stresses on it and risk voiding your warranty?

Why not just take that money and get a car that meets your requirements and enjoy the piece of mind of the warranty?

I agree, APR has some easy tunes for my Audi, but I resist the urge to "tune" it.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 12:23
wesleyclark wrote:

An SiR with the
K20C would bring a lot less stress.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 14:10
Sometimes you cant get the combo of features that you want. Sometimes there just isn't enough power available period.

And sometimes the power is so cheap and easy (and low risk) you say, "why not?"

SC

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 16:38
notyper wrote:
Sometimes you cant get the combo of features that you want. Sometimes there just isn't enough power available period.

SC

Sometimes you dream, sometimes it seems
There's nothing there at all
You just seem older than yesterday
And you're waiting for tomorrow to call

I think I'd take the CTR. Red. What? No triple wing... OK, time to take it to Church and put that upper trailing rear roof "winglet" from the SI onto the CTR.

wesleyclark
Profile for wesleyclark
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 17:05
notyper wrote:

SC

Interesting. Thank you for your perspective. I just don't have the appetite for the risk, I guess.

Shortly, we will be without a Honda for the first time in fifteen years because they no longer have a vehicle that I would be happy with. Sad, really.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 18:54
wesleyclark wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

Interesting. Thank you for your perspective. I just don't have the appetite for the risk, I guess.

Shortly, we will be without a Honda for the first time in fifteen years because they no longer have a vehicle that I would be happy with. Sad, really.

What exactly do you want?

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 21:19
wesleyclark wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

I hear you, it's been ages since I bought a new Honda for that reason. My tastes are a little more extreme so I don't necessarily blame Honda for that, but it seems like they have consistently missed some pretty important segments for the last decade.

SC

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2019 23:43
I have decided to keep my 2013 Accord for awhile longer and just do the clutch/timing belt and a few other little maintenance things and then just drive it.

But for my next car there is really nothing Honda makes that is even on my radar. I do like the Accord, but can't reconcile that half of what I want is on the Touring and half is on the Sport and they are mutually exclusive.

I also would probably own an Si had it had the 2.0T from the factory, but alas, it does not.

I like my current Accord, but it is too unbalanced with FWD, no LSD and tiny brakes.

I generally ABHOR the look of recent Acura's and they aren't reliability kings anymore anyway.

Sadly, I like the Volvo S60 R-design, the G70 and the new 3 series the best. I would consider a GTI (afraid of VW quality) or something slightly used like a CTS-V, etc. Hell, I historically HATE Dodge and even the Charger Hellcat is more tempting than most Honda products right now.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2019 09:14
^ Sadly?! I think you’ve got three great options right there!
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2019 10:51
NSXman wrote:
owequitit wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
Dano wrote:
Might be a redundant question that has been asked before. If so I apologize for that. I would buy if it had 1) more horsepower (230+ is all I ask!) and 2) standard LED headlights. For me it is a GREAT car now and doesn't need a lot of other stuff. However, with the two items above I would immediately buy it.

Personally I wouldn't hold my breath as for as more power goes. Honda has been incredibly stubborn, obtuse and overly conservative with this model after the 8th gen Si. The bean counters have had a stranglehold on it, and it actually not surprise me if Honda killed it with the next gen Civic. The reasoning will be weak sales.

The 2.0T would seem to be a no-brainer drop in, but alas, the bean counters seem to rule the day.

🤣

Bean counters tend to not be able to see beyond a spreadsheet. Bean counters have their place, just as engineers do, but leadership needs to transcend both and be able to "see the forest through the trees." In other words, the people calling the shots need to have vision and understand the world beyond the spreadsheet. If you look at 100% of successful leadership, regardless of industry or business strategy, they all know their market, they know their role and they know how to deliver the best product to that market.

Let us not forget that the "bean counters" at Honda have given us such turds and flops as the ZDX, ILX, RLX, Gen II Insight, CR-Z, 4th gen TL, etc etc. Literally billions in losses that would have easily either A) been better spent on 1 or 2 products that actually hit its market, or B) making something like the Si more relevant to its market place.

In the end, people can defend it all they want, but we have already seen what happens when bean counters en extremis get ahold of too much power as we watched it first hand with the D3.

I guess I fail to see how "bean counters" were responsible for the ZDX or the 4th Gen TL. That wasn't accountants or engineers...they (the TL in particular) were cars built around a child's crayon drawing. It was an effort to be edgy and trendy that horribly failed.

The ILX, Insight, et al. Yeah, just being cheap and trying to get an easy score.

But to my original point, running a company is indeed about balance, but I don't think labeling every bad decision as one made by a "bean counter" is accurate. There are plenty of automotive examples where engineers got too much power and needed some financial discipline to be reigned in.

There is a tendency for these discussions to be based on 1.) engineers know exactly what car enthusiasts want, and 2.) accountants make all of the decisions in Honda. Neither has ever been true but you then get into exploring what makes extremely successful auto companies successful. I think the reality is the Civic, Accord and CRV are the highly focused products which the Honda product planners keep their eyes on while the Crosstour, ZDX, 4G TL, etc. are the products which Honda's executive managements told the young turks in the design studio to do whatever they wanted. I suspect the Si is exactly what the senior product planning and executive management teams decided it should be.

The problems I see regarding the strange Hondas and Acuras are:

- A lack of connection between the senior management in Japan and the core mid to high end automotive market in the US. A luxury Honda in Japan is often a fancy version of the Jazz or Civic. Which I'd find cool in the US but I know why it wouldn't work.

- Young product people such as stylists in the US who don't seem to grasp classic automotive styling cues. They're artists and I'm sure they know of "Rolex" but I bet they couldn't spell "Sebring" or "Laguna Seca" if they had to. The ZDX could have been a very cool sports-CUV with the proportions it had but instead it got the most awkward styling possible. It really was a duplicate of the Aztek product development workflow failure.

I have three questions I state in project meetings in my company (I don't work in the auto industry):

- What is our goal here?
- How are we going to go about reaching that goal?
- Who here will be making the decisions and is that person qualified to do so? Am I to be the decision maker and, if I am, will everyone do as I say?

- Bonus question = why are you typing on your laptop or phone while someone is speaking? Pay attention.

When you find people simply continuing to talk about their problems instead of solutions it's time to demand a Plan B. The Crosstour could have also been a very cool Honda but it got awkward styling instead. I actually had a meeting recently during which I had to say, "This is what failure looks like."

I do think though that a lot people, including engineers, believe engineers can solve any problem. The reality is most engineers couldn't draw a good looking car which could actually be made and sold in numbers to save their lives. It's why so many businesses fail over time. Most engineers complete just a handful of business classes in college as electives or they go back to school for an MBA at their local state college campus. That's not an indictment but it does point to a person having an engineering degree maybe not being qualified to run Honda.

I would remind everyone that Old Man Honda wasn't a classically educated engineer but rather a strong business leader who based his manufacturing success on solid and practical hands-on experience in engineering and he surrounded himself with technical masters he could trust with filling in the gaps in his knowledge and experience. That concept works for a guy starting a business in his garage and a multi-national automotive company.

Tl;DR = they need to find a brilliant car business person with a knack for judging good styling who also throws an ashtray now and then.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2019 05:42
Grace141 wrote:
NSXman wrote:
owequitit wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
Dano wrote:
Might be a redundant question that has been asked before. If so I apologize for that. I would buy if it had 1) more horsepower (230+ is all I ask!) and 2) standard LED headlights. For me it is a GREAT car now and doesn't need a lot of other stuff. However, with the two items above I would immediately buy it.

Personally I wouldn't hold my breath as for as more power goes. Honda has been incredibly stubborn, obtuse and overly conservative with this model after the 8th gen Si. The bean counters have had a stranglehold on it, and it actually not surprise me if Honda killed it with the next gen Civic. The reasoning will be weak sales.

The 2.0T would seem to be a no-brainer drop in, but alas, the bean counters seem to rule the day.

🤣

Bean counters tend to not be able to see beyond a spreadsheet. Bean counters have their place, just as engineers do, but leadership needs to transcend both and be able to "see the forest through the trees." In other words, the people calling the shots need to have vision and understand the world beyond the spreadsheet. If you look at 100% of successful leadership, regardless of industry or business strategy, they all know their market, they know their role and they know how to deliver the best product to that market.

Let us not forget that the "bean counters" at Honda have given us such turds and flops as the ZDX, ILX, RLX, Gen II Insight, CR-Z, 4th gen TL, etc etc. Literally billions in losses that would have easily either A) been better spent on 1 or 2 products that actually hit its market, or B) making something like the Si more relevant to its market place.

In the end, people can defend it all they want, but we have already seen what happens when bean counters en extremis get ahold of too much power as we watched it first hand with the D3.

I guess I fail to see how "bean counters" were responsible for the ZDX or the 4th Gen TL. That wasn't accountants or engineers...they (the TL in particular) were cars built around a child's crayon drawing. It was an effort to be edgy and trendy that horribly failed.

The ILX, Insight, et al. Yeah, just being cheap and trying to get an easy score.

But to my original point, running a company is indeed about balance, but I don't think labeling every bad decision as one made by a "bean counter" is accurate. There are plenty of automotive examples where engineers got too much power and needed some financial discipline to be reigned in.

There is a tendency for these discussions to be based on 1.) engineers know exactly what car enthusiasts want, and 2.) accountants make all of the decisions in Honda. Neither has ever been true but you then get into exploring what makes extremely successful auto companies successful. I think the reality is the Civic, Accord and CRV are the highly focused products which the Honda product planners keep their eyes on while the Crosstour, ZDX, 4G TL, etc. are the products which Honda's executive managements told the young turks in the design studio to do whatever they wanted. I suspect the Si is exactly what the senior product planning and executive management teams decided it should be.

- A lack of connection between the senior management in Japan and the core mid to high end automotive market in the US. A luxury Honda in Japan is often a fancy version of the Jazz or Civic. Which I'd find cool in the US but I know why it wouldn't work.

- Young product people such as stylists in the US who don't seem to grasp classic automotive styling cues. They're artists and I'm sure they know of "Rolex" but I bet they couldn't spell "Sebring" or "Laguna Seca" if they had to. The ZDX could have been a very cool sports-CUV with the proportions it had but instead it got the most awkward styling possible. It really was a duplicate of the Aztek product development workflow failure.

I have three questions I state in project meetings in my company (I don't work in the auto industry):

- What is our goal here?
- Who here will be making the decisions and is that person qualified to do so? Am I to be the decision maker and, if I am, will everyone do as I say?

- Bonus question = why are you typing on your laptop or phone while someone is speaking? Pay attention.

When you find people simply continuing to talk about their problems instead of solutions it's time to demand a Plan B. The Crosstour could have also been a very cool Honda but it got awkward styling instead. I actually had a meeting recently during which I had to say, "This is what failure looks like."

I do think though that a lot people, including engineers, believe engineers can solve any problem. The reality is most engineers couldn't draw a good looking car which could actually be made and sold in numbers to save their lives. It's why so many businesses fail over time. Most engineers complete just a handful of business classes in college as electives or they go back to school for an MBA at their local state college campus. That's not an indictment but it does point to a person having an engineering degree maybe not being qualified to run Honda.

I would remind everyone that Old Man Honda wasn't a classically educated engineer but rather a strong business leader who based his manufacturing success on solid and practical hands-on experience in engineering and he surrounded himself with technical masters he could trust with filling in the gaps in his knowledge and experience. That concept works for a guy starting a business in his garage and a multi-national automotive company.

Tl;DR = they need to find a brilliant car business person with a knack for judging good styling who also throws an ashtray now and then.

You hit the nail on the head!!!!

s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2019 20:13
Grace141 wrote:

- What is our goal here?

Right on!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-01-2019 15:54
NealX wrote:

Those are called ACURA.

Exactly.

Do you want a nicer Civic? The ILX 2.4/8DCT/Tech at $30K is one very nice ride. Sure, it's not the latest platform but it's still a very good one.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-02-2019 00:43
Grace141 wrote:
NSXman wrote:
owequitit wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
rev2damoon wrote:
Dano wrote:

🤣

- What is our goal here?

Yeah, because Honda NEVER became successful on the back of good engineering...

RIIIIIIIGHHHHHT.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-05-2019 17:25
Should Honda make something in between the 1.5T and 2.0T? I guess the unfortunate part is that if they did it might be based on the R18.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2019 02:10
I don't think Honda needs something between the 1.5T and 2.0T. The 1.5T is right now covering 175 to 205hp. The 2.0T is from about 250hp to 310hp.

If Honda wanted to, the 1.5T can make 215hp, and the 2.0T can be detuned to 240hp. Would it make sense to then make a 1.8T just make something with 225-230hp? To me, probably not.

The 1.5T is making some good power with aftermarket parts. The main issue is that it's just not a very "exciting" engine. Making good power is only part of the equation. And IMO, a regular tune and some bolt on's won't affect the reliability that much. It's a totally different story when you start changing the internals, changing the turbos, etc.

According to KTuner, on their dyno, the stock Civic Si makes 180whp. Not bad for an engine rated at 205hp. Ktuner's 23psi conserative tune would bring that to 210whp. That's about 240hp at the crank. If you have a downpipe, intake, catback, along with a custom tune, you will surely be making more. If a little more power is all you need, the KTuner is just $449 and you can easily get an extra 30whp. The midrange torque has a much bigger difference.

Worried about voiding your warranty? There's also a piggyback option from Burger Motorsports. Their JB4 managed to take a stock Civic 1.5T CVT from 184whp to 217whp on a Dynojet. Again, over 30whp gain. It can be removed without a trace. This is even cheaper at $400.

As for the LED headlights, the Canadian Si has those. You can also order them but they are like $1200 for a pair.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2019 00:58
Hondarulez wrote:
I don't think Honda needs something between the 1.5T and 2.0T. The 1.5T is right now covering 175 to 205hp. The 2.0T is from about 250hp to 310hp.

If Honda wanted to, the 1.5T can make 215hp, and the 2.0T can be detuned to 240hp. Would it make sense to then make a 1.8T just make something with 225-230hp? To me, probably not.

The 1.5T is making some good power with aftermarket parts. The main issue is that it's just not a very "exciting" engine. Making good power is only part of the equation. And IMO, a regular tune and some bolt on's won't affect the reliability that much. It's a totally different story when you start changing the internals, changing the turbos, etc.

According to KTuner, on their dyno, the stock Civic Si makes 180whp. Not bad for an engine rated at 205hp. Ktuner's 23psi conserative tune would bring that to 210whp. That's about 240hp at the crank. If you have a downpipe, intake, catback, along with a custom tune, you will surely be making more. If a little more power is all you need, the KTuner is just $449 and you can easily get an extra 30whp. The midrange torque has a much bigger difference.

Worried about voiding your warranty? There's also a piggyback option from Burger Motorsports. Their JB4 managed to take a stock Civic 1.5T CVT from 184whp to 217whp on a Dynojet. Again, over 30whp gain. It can be removed without a trace. This is even cheaper at $400.

As for the LED headlights, the Canadian Si has those. You can also order them but they are like $1200 for a pair.

The "the 1.5T makes good power with mods" is bunk IMO. The same mods for approximately the same money would release substantially more power in the 2.0T for what would amount to a nominal upfront cost increase at purchase.

The 2.0T also likes to rev, sounds good and is much smoother. It FEELS like an engine that could be sporty. The 1.5T? Not so much. It feels like a hopped up regular economy car engine.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: When will Si have more HP and LEDs?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2019 01:55
U mean it would cost Honda very little to have a 2.0T? Or did you mean someone wont have to pay much more to have a 2.0T CTR over a 1.5T Si? Sorry,..was a bit confused.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0