[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > NSX > > Re: 3rd Generation NSX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4]
Author
  Post New Thread
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2019 20:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
What I been hearing is Power-train upgrade for MY20 or 21(620-630hp).

Type R is still being debated!
GT3 like(lighten,RWD 650hp)$$
LMP1 like(AWD,F1 Engine Tech 750+hp)$$$$

What is there to debate?

Make both versions, non hybrid light RWD GT3 with 600-650hp. Go nuts with everything, more power from turbo and batteries for the Type R 750hp. They are debating themselves to irrelevance and convincing themselves to not do it again.

And despite all of these variations, l have yet to see one on the street.

There are no variations, that is the problem.

I have seen 3 new NSX's on the street.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 00:30
lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Do you think that Honda is considering entering something resembling an NSX as a Hypercar (LMP1) entry? Assuming the ICE is good for about 550 HP or so, all it would take would be a KERS system driving the front wheels good for another 400HP or so.

Those drivetrains will be considerably dumbed down from F1 tech and current LMP1-H tech (KERS only). And if as has been said here, the hybrid tech is "cheap" ... then the road version of the NSX just has to lose its rear-axle hybrid system and upgrade the output of the front-axle system.

Hell, the EVO NSX GT body might even be slippery enough.

2024 NSX Hypercar= new VTEC Heads for the 3.5 V6 and front mounted FC powering front axle with KERS?

Hyper car with a 6 cylinder? Good luck with that.

Porsche 911 GT2 anybody? Bueller... Bueller...

A bump to 18psi of boost, which is not out of question on the current engine puts it right at 600HP. I bet some additional work + VTEC + the associated higher revs it would allow could put that gas engine at 650+ quite easily. I doubt you would hear any bitching about cylinder count at that point.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 01:24
Hondarulez wrote:
Vividracing now sells a piggyback which they say provides an additional 106hp over stock:
https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ecu-tuning-box-kit-acura-nsx-twin-turbo-35l-581hp-p-152508223.html

Based on their mustang dyno results the peak gain went from 364whp to 438whp, roughly 20%.

I'm not familiar with VR tuning boxes so no idea how accurate/true those gains are. But someone who's experience tuning 30+ cars over at NSXPrime installed the kit and said the difference is clearly noticeable.

VR is claiming that the NSX with this piggyback will do 0-60mph in the 2's and 1/4 mile in mid 10's.

The peak boost went from 15.2psi to 18.4psi (93 octane).

Not so sure the results are all that good. I think they did get more power, but not feeling the 80 hp gains....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0Yw-VmZzU

The Huracan's tires are toast, as it normally runs 10.4, and you can see the NSX is only running 10.9. But look at how the 600 hp Huracan is pulling hard up top and still runs a much higher trap speed. Also trying to figure out why the Vivid dyno test only goes to 6500 rpm.

Anyways, ignoring the Huracan's tire issues, the trap speed tells the story IMO. The NSX is about 9% heavier than the Huracan. At the same power level that should mean the Huracan puts about 3 mph on it. The difference in this case was about 4 mph which would indicate that the NSX is putting less power to the ground than the Huracan. Even if they're the same, that would indicate about 610-620 hp from the NSX. That would be more inline with the 0.15 sec 1/4 mile time improvement they're claiming.

SC

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 11:20
notyper wrote:

Not so sure the results are all that good. I think they did get more power, but not feeling the 80 hp gains....

The Huracan's tires are toast, as it normally runs 10.4, and you can see the NSX is only running 10.9. But look at how the 600 hp Huracan is pulling hard up top and still runs a much higher trap speed. Also trying to figure out why the Vivid dyno test only goes to 6500 rpm.

Anyways, ignoring the Huracan's tire issues, the trap speed tells the story IMO. The NSX is about 9% heavier than the Huracan. At the same power level that should mean the Huracan puts about 3 mph on it. The difference in this case was about 4 mph which would indicate that the NSX is putting less power to the ground than the Huracan. Even if they're the same, that would indicate about 610-620 hp from the NSX. That would be more inline with the 0.15 sec 1/4 mile time improvement they're claiming.

SC

I was reading about Science of Speed’s testing with the VR box and Gen2 NSX. They provide a good summary (link below) and aligns with your comments on the net effect with the VR box.

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/blog/engine-tuning-products-for-the-second-gen-nsx-part-1-of-3/

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 12:09
owequitit wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Do you think that Honda is considering entering something resembling an NSX as a Hypercar (LMP1) entry? Assuming the ICE is good for about 550 HP or so, all it would take would be a KERS system driving the front wheels good for another 400HP or so.

Those drivetrains will be considerably dumbed down from F1 tech and current LMP1-H tech (KERS only). And if as has been said here, the hybrid tech is "cheap" ... then the road version of the NSX just has to lose its rear-axle hybrid system and upgrade the output of the front-axle system.

2024 NSX Hypercar= new VTEC Heads for the 3.5 V6 and front mounted FC powering front axle with KERS?

A bump to 18psi of boost, which is not out of question on the current engine puts it right at 600HP. I bet some additional work + VTEC + the associated higher revs it would allow could put that gas engine at 650+ quite easily. I doubt you would hear any bitching about cylinder count at that point.

GT2 as quick as it is is not really considered a hyper car, it is the top performance version of the common 911 and not on the same radar as Chiron, LaFerrari/FXX-K, Pagani buyers. 918 was a hyper car, Carrera GT was, GT1 was, 959 was generally considered one of the first hyper cars along with the Ferrari F40, Bugatti EB110, McLaren F1. These days hyper cars are normally priced around 1 million dollars, sometimes several million and normally have bespoke platforms, engines, 16/12/10/8 cylinders, styling, technology not shared with lower end cars.

The Jaguar XJ220 was one of the very few times they did a V6 in a hyper car and it did not turn out well from a sales point, it was originally rumored to have a V12 and had many pre orders but when they went to a V6 many buyers dropped out, reviews criticized the sound and nature of the V6 and say it was outclassed by 12 and 8 cylinder competitors. 959 had a 6 cylinder but it was a flat 6 which was/is considered a bit more exotic then a V6 and its awd system/technology was very unique at the time.

These days buyers prefer big engines in the hyper class of super car, a V6 just won't cut it in something costing 400K, 500K or more and competing against Koenigsegg, Pagani, Bugatti, etc.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 12:30
lexusgs wrote:
owequitit wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

GT2 as quick as it is is not really considered a hyper car, it is the top performance version of the common 911 and not on the same radar as Chiron, LaFerrari/FXX-K, Pagani buyers. 918 was a hyper car, Carrera GT was, GT1 was, 959 was generally considered one of the first hyper cars along with the Ferrari F40, Bugatti EB110, McLaren F1. These days hyper cars are normally priced around 1 million dollars, sometimes several million and normally have bespoke platforms, engines, 16/12/10/8 cylinders, styling, technology not shared with lower end cars.

The Jaguar XJ220 was one of the very few times they did a V6 in a hyper car and it did not turn out well from a sales point, it was originally rumored to have a V12 and had many pre orders but when they went to a V6 many buyers dropped out, reviews criticized the sound and nature of the V6 and say it was outclassed by 12 and 8 cylinder competitors. 959 had a 6 cylinder but it was a flat 6 which was/is considered a bit more exotic then a V6 and its awd system/technology was very unique at the time.

These days buyers prefer big engines in the hyper class of super car, a V6 just won't cut it in something costing 400K, 500K or more and competing against Koenigsegg, Pagani, Bugatti, etc.

MB $3 million Hypercar has a 1.6L V6(must be rebuilt every 30k miles) and it is already sold out. LOL

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 12:56
lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

I was referring to the ACO/FIA regulations (often termed "hypercar" but yet to be officially named) for the class of race cars that will replace LMP1 after the 2019-2020 WEC season.

In the current LMP1H formula (only Toyota today), the current ICE units produce less than 600 HP. The rest of the power comes from the Hybrid systems, which can be both MGU-K and MGU-H.

The new regulations are significantly dumbed down for the sake of cost control. The ICE target is again for 550-to-600 HP, driving the rear wheels. The Hybrid aspect would be KERS-only driving the front wheels. There would be no option for MGU-H.

This would keep costs down because you could use any existing GT3 engine, such as the engine from the NSX GT3.

My observation was that if you took an NSX drivetrain (GT3-spec engine), kept the front axle hybrid system and removed the rear-axle hybrid system, you would be most of the way toward an ACO/FIA hybrid drivetrain system. You would just need to increase the power associated with the front axle.

Then all you would need would be to drop it into a tub/body made by someone like Oreca that would comply with FIA crash test rules and ACO aero limits. Or Honda could try to make one themselves that could be sold as the NEW NSX, or whatever. It could be a "hypercard" that you could drive home from the track. Which is one of the ACO's wet dreams.

When you look at it like that, why wouldn't Honda consider participating?

I was not meaning to imply that the current NSX was of consumer hypercard quality. Only that the NSX GT3 ICE is a race-proven entity that could easily be dropped into an ACO/FIA "hypercard" program.

s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 16:14
RolledaNsx wrote:
MB $3 million Hypercar has a 1.6L V6(must be rebuilt every 30k miles) and it is already sold out. LOL

And most of them will never need/get a rebuild in their lifetime :)

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 19:55
Bullwinkle wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

I was referring to the ACO/FIA regulations (often termed "hypercar" but yet to be officially named) for the class of race cars that will replace LMP1 after the 2019-2020 WEC season.

In the current LMP1H formula (only Toyota today), the current ICE units produce less than 600 HP. The rest of the power comes from the Hybrid systems, which can be both MGU-K and MGU-H.

The new regulations are significantly dumbed down for the sake of cost control. The ICE target is again for 550-to-600 HP, driving the rear wheels. The Hybrid aspect would be KERS-only driving the front wheels. There would be no option for MGU-H.

This would keep costs down because you could use any existing GT3 engine, such as the engine from the NSX GT3.

My observation was that if you took an NSX drivetrain (GT3-spec engine), kept the front axle hybrid system and removed the rear-axle hybrid system, you would be most of the way toward an ACO/FIA hybrid drivetrain system. You would just need to increase the power associated with the front axle.

Then all you would need would be to drop it into a tub/body made by someone like Oreca that would comply with FIA crash test rules and ACO aero limits. Or Honda could try to make one themselves that could be sold as the NEW NSX, or whatever. It could be a "hypercard" that you could drive home from the track. Which is one of the ACO's wet dreams.

When you look at it like that, why wouldn't Honda consider participating?

I was not meaning to imply that the current NSX was of consumer hypercard quality. Only that the NSX GT3 ICE is a race-proven entity that could easily be dropped into an ACO/FIA "hypercard" program.

If ACO/FIA approves hydrogen for 2024 LM Race(expected to happen) expect from Honda.

2024 NSX LM
Oreca CF Tub

Factory Team will use FC in rear..1000hp total with front KERS.(25 sold public)

Customer Teams will use 5-5.5L NA V10 with VTEC(100 sold to public). V10 would be same weight as V6 but would need less cooling(less drag and less parts to break)

Customer NSX LM V10 expect 9000+ redline and 700+ hp from engine. AWD. Front axle KERS with 2 eMotors

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2019 21:59
owequitit wrote:
lexusgs wrote:

I get what you’re saying and agree 6cyl can be enough. But to me I think the Ferdinand GT3 RS actually qualifies as a hypercar. As I understand it, the “hyper” in hypercar stands for hyperbole. So...

Yabba dabba do!

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2019 11:04
RolledaNsx wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
owequitit wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

That is a limited production effort, they are only building like 275 and are trying to give the F1 experience with a F1 type powerplant which is currently a high revving 1.6L turbo 6 cylinder with a hybrid system. It is a very low production Mercedes and I am sure most of those buyers are mainly collectors who think they will make money on it, hence we won't be seeing it on the street being driven. It is pretty ugly, engine needs a rebuild every 50K miles, and is trying to really give a open wheeled F1 experience in a regular car that looks nothing like a F1 car and is heavier which does not make much sense. I doubt Acura wants to go that route.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2019 14:14
honduh wrote:
owequitit wrote:
lexusgs wrote:

I get what you’re saying and agree 6cyl can be enough. But to me I think the Ferdinand GT3 RS actually qualifies as a hypercar. As I understand it, the “hyper” in hypercar stands for hyperbole. So...

Yabba dabba do!

Was street legal in Austria, an accident waiting to happen!

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2019 23:48
lexusgs wrote:
owequitit wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Like it or not, the GT2 is shopped as and stands shoulder to shoulder with a "hypercar" (which is a bullshit term for dudes with small stick shifts anyway). Not only will Porsche sell every single one they make with a reserve of buyers left over, but they will be priced (or were priced) right in league with many of those "hypercars."

The 959 was also arguably one of the first "hypercars" and it also featured a 6 cylinder engine.

Your argument is bunk. Acura might not have a "hypercar" in the NSX V2.1, but that doesn't make 6 cylinders irrelevant. Especially moving forward as even V12 Ferraris are in danger of disappearing.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 02:44
notyper wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
Vividracing now sells a piggyback which they say provides an additional 106hp over stock:
https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ecu-tuning-box-kit-acura-nsx-twin-turbo-35l-581hp-p-152508223.html

Based on their mustang dyno results the peak gain went from 364whp to 438whp, roughly 20%.

I'm not familiar with VR tuning boxes so no idea how accurate/true those gains are. But someone who's experience tuning 30+ cars over at NSXPrime installed the kit and said the difference is clearly noticeable.

VR is claiming that the NSX with this piggyback will do 0-60mph in the 2's and 1/4 mile in mid 10's.

SC

I think that red nsx has a custom tune from Hydra motor works. It's a ecu flash as opposed to VRs piggyback.

According to the owner, it was in Florida in not so ideal weather. His best et was 10.81.

There's a actually a new video though where there's a rematch between the nsx and huracan - with brand new r888r. It's against a different nsx though, but it's one with VR tuning box.

The difference is 2mph.

With meth, the difference is less than 1mph.

Fwiw, car and driver tested a 2015 huracan and got 10.4@135mph:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15108747/2015-lamborghini-huracan-lp610-4-tested-review/

They got 11.2@126mph for the nsx:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15098793/2017-acura-nsx-supercar-full-test-review/

I think we can see that the drag strip condition was really not so ideal as the trap speed is quite a bit lower for the huracan. And the nsx to get that close, it seems like the tune isn't that bad. It's supposed to be 9mph slower when both are stock.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 10:31
Hondarulez wrote:
notyper wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

SC

I think that red nsx has a custom tune from Hydra motor works. It's a ecu flash as opposed to VRs piggyback.

According to the owner, it was in Florida in not so ideal weather. His best et was 10.81.

There's a actually a new video though where there's a rematch between the nsx and huracan - with brand new r888r. It's against a different nsx though, but it's one with VR tuning box.

The difference is 2mph.

With meth, the difference is less than 1mph.

Fwiw, car and driver tested a 2015 huracan and got 10.4@135mph:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15108747/2015-lamborghini-huracan-lp610-4-tested-review/

They got 11.2@126mph for the nsx:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15098793/2017-acura-nsx-supercar-full-test-review/

I think we can see that the drag strip condition was really not so ideal as the trap speed is quite a bit lower for the huracan. And the nsx to get that close, it seems like the tune isn't that bad. It's supposed to be 9mph slower when both are stock.

I've seen the video and the Huracan is still faster. Meth, tune, exhaust, lighter driver (seriously they put a lighter driver in to go faster) and its still slower than an NA Huracan. That's very sad, IMO.

SC

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 00:32
Haha yes that's the video. But the stock Huracan as we know is a 10.4s@135mph car. Sounds like the car is seriously underrated eh? Stock NSX is 11.2@126mph.

I don't know many cars that run 10.4s@135mph stock lol. The performante in fact, is the 2nd fastest car tested by car and driver as of Sept 2018. It ran 10.2@136mph. Which one is the 3rd fastest car tested by Car and Driver? Yup, the regular Huracan, lol.

Based on that, to me, getting that close to the Huracan with a tune and meth doesn't sound too bad, considering the aftermarket support is still pretty bad. And based in the video, they haven't really tested the meth setup yet haha.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 22:51
RolledaNsx wrote:
I been hearing it will go Hypercar.
CF Tub
F1 Tech Engine Version (HERS and KERS)
FCEV Version
2024 to race at Le Mans

Some good times fishing with some Honda friends and got some more hints.

Alot depends on RB, Aston Martin and Honda working relationship the next two years. Honda is very interested in the 2024 LM24 in the Hydrogen class and the easy/best way is to use a version of the RB/AM Valkyrie (different bodywork and FC in place of V12).

A very good relationship= Shared FR and MR sports car platforms?

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 01:57
How much Saki had you guys had while you were fishing out in the sun?? :)
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 02:17
sadlerau wrote:
How much Saki had you guys had while you were fishing out in the sun?? :)

20 year old bourbon (eagle rare) and barrel aged imperial stout (12% ABV) 😁

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-14-2019 02:59
So the hints were obviously very soberly considered then? 😂
Jellybone
Profile for Jellybone
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-10-2019 21:49
But what of that RB / AM / Honda working relationship, i was excited with the RedBull/Honda partnership but I wonder if it's time is limited. Looking at Geneva with the Valkerie, 003 and Vanquish concept. All 3 designed in a new AM design center at Milton Keys, and now talk of a AM in house designed V6 hybrid which some mentioned were F1 derived. Almost feels like RB is branching out into being a Ferrari/McLaren but currently under the guise of AM. I mean it would be awesome if Honda remains their powertrain source, and even for AM road cars too, but could RB be working towards going it all alone in the long term?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 3rd Generation NSX    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2019 15:08
superchg2 wrote:
honduh wrote:
owequitit wrote:
lexusgs wrote:

Yabba dabba do!

Was street legal in Austria, an accident waiting to happen!

Hilarious!

I was a bit concerned when it got carved up by that SETRA, though...

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0