[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
More.......................
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
More.......................
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
More.......................
Repair and Maintenance --> cylinder #1 running rich.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2024 Honda Le Mans Racecar.
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Vigor @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord-based CT5?!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA - 2019 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: FRS/86/BRZ Recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Honda Envix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Type S In New York?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: I found the answer for solving EUs horrible car lineup
Join Discussion......
Passport --> Re: Built an Elite.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Next gen TLX spied...
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Ridgeline Comparo

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 16:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
Toyota has not upgraded their truck technology appreciably since when I was selling them... in the 1980's.


I don't know about that...my dad has a 2002 Tacoma and the 2018 felt like a Rolls Royce compared to that thing.


superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 17:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Toyota has not upgraded their truck technology appreciably since when I was selling them... in the 1980's.


I don't know about that...my dad has a 2002 Tacoma and the 2018 felt like a Rolls Royce compared to that thing.



Since I don't spend much time in trucks, the reviewers seemed to feel like the Taco was substandard in pretty much everything, compared to the other trucks. The big Tundra seems to be an also ran, too.


TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 18:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
Steph01 wrote:
DCR wrote:
After being in a 2018 Tacoma TRD that my buddy has, I'll simply disagree with the review. Out of any truck out there, the Tacoma is the only one I would buy.


Just a hipster comment wanting to be different on this particular forum. There are two reasons to buy the Tacoma over the Ridgeline. One, the truck is not daily driven (i.e. you work on a farm doing farm stuff) Two, you plan to turn your Tacoma into a bad a$$ crawler with solid front axles etc. With the huge aftermarket support I understand why you would do this. (or maybe a third reason, if I were in a war I would take the Tacoma over the Ridgeline).

My group has a 2017 Tacoma, we use it to tow our quads and jetskis. Maybe 2 trips to Glamis and a couple to Pismo. A couple weeks in the summer to Kern county, things the Ridgeline could easily accomplish (and what a majority of Truck buyers need). Otherwise he hates suffering 330 days of actual living in the truck. Inferior ride quality, gas mileage, handling, braking, safety suite, stereo etc..The thing rides like a ...truck...

Maybe you hate minivans too? Or are you so concerned about image you're able to accept these failures on the truck?



Hipster...that's fucking hilarious.



Maybe hockey players are considered hipsters in his Universe?

However, only the Ridgeline has torque vectoring, so in my Universe that makes it the "race car" of the Truck World.

Time to stick a Type R on the Ridgeline.... All Hail the RLR!


typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 22:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I think in a lot of the earlier tests the Colorado was equipped with a 6AT and GM updated the gearbox after the first or second model year to the 8AT. I think the improved gearing and torque multiplication may be increasing the acceleration gap between this and the RL.

notyper wrote:
Couple thoughts (although I can't really comment on the ford, haven't even seen one yet).

First I do think Chevy has really nailed quipped the Colorado. It's a bit long in tooth but still does really well. And it's a truck through and through that also happens to be very liveable. It would be nice if the interior was more luxurious, but again, it's a truck first.

Conversely the RL is a really great crossover that also happens to do a pretty good job of handling truck duties 90% of the time.

It's the edge cases where both of these vehicles show their compromises. The Colorado feeling a bit low rent while the RL feels a bit strained.

I won't say much about the taco performance, but I too find the cabin a tight. It's not intolerable, but it's a direct outgrowth of trying to keep the thing compact while retaining a body on frame design. Either the roof goes up 3-5 inches or you'll always feel like you're bringing your knees too close to your chest. You get used to it (just like driving a sports car, etc) but in direct comparison to roomier vehicles it feels wrong.

One other thing I noticed was how slow this particular RL was. In previous tests it was just a hair behind the Colorado but in this test it got crushed. Maybe it's an 87 vs 91 octane issue but I've never seen an RL that slow. I don't know that it would've changed the finishing order, but since most of the complaints seemed directed at Powertrain it would've closed it up some.

SC



DanielAcosta
Profile for DanielAcosta
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 01:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The appeal of the Tacoma is a mystery. It seems to have carried over from years ago when it truly was the best in class, and the halo effect has continued on. Toyota does have great reliability.

Similarly, the Tundra seems popular because it's a Toyota, even though it hasn't really changed since 2007 and is now outclassed by everyone in the full size class.

Having owned both midsize and full size trucks, the full size is certainly more bang for the buck because you have enough room to literally bring everything with you on trips.

Ridgeline is a good choice for most people, but the shallow bed and non-locking tailgate immediately eliminate it from consideration for "real" truck buyers. You might be able to do an aftermarket tailgate lock, but you can't fix the shallow bed.

That being said, the biggest changes in trucks seem to be in the areas of bed utility and capacity. The Ridgeline had some neat tricks in the bed when it first came out, but its limitations in real truck utility make competing trucks, even full size, more appealing for the same price. Sales figures seem to confirm this, with the one anomaly being the Tacoma with its record sales and resale values that eclipse everyone else whether mid or full size.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 12:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I may understand the confusion about the ride quality of the Tacoma not correlating with the good sales Toyota gets from it. There are people who need a 4WD truck for poor rural roads or routinely driving in snow and an occasional off-road trip on park roads for camping and such. They tend to go slow and steady in rough conditions and they need good cargo capacity for hauling whatever they need to move on a given day. And then there are people who think of 4WD trucks in terms of running the Baja 1000 at speed. One group goes to real places with their 4WD trucks while the other tends to complain about blown out shocks and broken sway bar links.

I see the Tacoma as an old-school stiff spring, off-road capable pickup which means it's going to have a horrible ride on rough roads at higher speeds. It's not made for that purpose.

The Silverado, for example, changed in 1999 from a 2WD pickup adapted to 4WD off-road needs to a true smoothly riding pickup which happened to have 4WD and a lot of suspension travel. The Tacoma still reminds me of the old fashioned 4WD pickups and SUVs like the Jeep CJ-series. The latter are definitely not fun if you believe 4-wheeling is something done faster than 10mph.

Steph01
Profile for Steph01
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 12:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
Steph01 wrote:
DCR wrote:
After being in a 2018 Tacoma TRD that my buddy has, I'll simply disagree with the review. Out of any truck out there, the Tacoma is the only one I would buy.


Just a hipster comment wanting to be different on this particular forum. There are two reasons to buy the Tacoma over the Ridgeline. One, the truck is not daily driven (i.e. you work on a farm doing farm stuff) Two, you plan to turn your Tacoma into a bad a$$ crawler with solid front axles etc. With the huge aftermarket support I understand why you would do this. (or maybe a third reason, if I were in a war I would take the Tacoma over the Ridgeline).

My group has a 2017 Tacoma, we use it to tow our quads and jetskis. Maybe 2 trips to Glamis and a couple to Pismo. A couple weeks in the summer to Kern county, things the Ridgeline could easily accomplish (and what a majority of Truck buyers need). Otherwise he hates suffering 330 days of actual living in the truck. Inferior ride quality, gas mileage, handling, braking, safety suite, stereo etc..The thing rides like a ...truck...

Maybe you hate minivans too? Or are you so concerned about image you're able to accept these failures on the truck?



Hipster...that's fucking hilarious.



It is funny, keep drinking your turnip juice while we enjoy our lemonade.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 14:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Grace141 wrote:
I may understand the confusion about the ride quality of the Tacoma not correlating with the good sales Toyota gets from it. There are people who need a 4WD truck for poor rural roads or routinely driving in snow and an occasional off-road trip on park roads for camping and such. They tend to go slow and steady in rough conditions and they need good cargo capacity for hauling whatever they need to move on a given day. And then there are people who think of 4WD trucks in terms of running the Baja 1000 at speed. One group goes to real places with their 4WD trucks while the other tends to complain about blown out shocks and broken sway bar links.

I see the Tacoma as an old-school stiff spring, off-road capable pickup which means it's going to have a horrible ride on rough roads at higher speeds. It's not made for that purpose.

The Silverado, for example, changed in 1999 from a 2WD pickup adapted to 4WD off-road needs to a true smoothly riding pickup which happened to have 4WD and a lot of suspension travel. The Tacoma still reminds me of the old fashioned 4WD pickups and SUVs like the Jeep CJ-series. The latter are definitely not fun if you believe 4-wheeling is something done faster than 10mph.



Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 17:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I work for Toyota/Lexus and Toyota has rested on its laurels for way too long. For example, the previous Camry’s platform dates back to 1988!!! They haven’t had anything really notable until recently as they’ve started to invest more in platform/drivetrain technologies.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Ridgeline Comparo    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 17:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
typer_801 wrote:
I think in a lot of the earlier tests the Colorado was equipped with a 6AT and GM updated the gearbox after the first or second model year to the 8AT. I think the improved gearing and torque multiplication may be increasing the acceleration gap between this and the RL.



I don't think that's it. C&D did a test with the 8at Colorado vs. the RL and the difference in the relevant tests (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.) was on the order of a couple tenths. I've never seen a gen2 RL do 0-60 in 7+ seconds like this one.

SC


 
Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0