[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Consumer Reports Strikes Again - Tesla Model 3 No Longer Recommended
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: More "ACURA" than "ACURA?"
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: Crank, no start, but runs great with push start. Please read
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CA proposing local autobahn instead of rail
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX not recommended by Consumer Reports
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author
  Post New Thread
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 10:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The front side gills seem to have adjustable(?) appendanges!
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 10:40
Back to the front wing end plates - they seem somewhat thinner than Haas end plates and have a small lip/fold running along the length at the top.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 10:48
The endplates of the rear wing have evolved with numerous slots but also compound 3D folds to possibly control to some extent the outwash/inner airflow from the rear tyres and vortices generated by the rear wing.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 10:54
The wheelbase appears to have increased 'a smidgen' - to allow more room in reconfiguring power unit installation and possibly in the bargeboard area!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 11:11
And finally for now - as there is no direct rear photos of the STR14...

The rear wing is an evolved form - lacking the straight across bottom edge instead tapering out towards the endplates.

The exhaust arrangement (at this stage, without rear photos revealed) appears relatively unchanged.

BTW, there is no bird eye-view of the entire car revealed yet (apart from the single photo of the rear wing viewed from above).

So overall, STR14 appears promising... lets see what other teams reveal in the days ahead!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 11:39
You can see other views of the car, although in dimmed lighting, by pausing the video of the STR14 launch... such as a view of the rear and the exhaust (but not yet the vertical LED lights on the rear wing endplates lit up...shucks!).
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 11:44
Williams reveals their new livery and title sponsor - although car will be shown next Monday (first day of pre-testing).

Link:
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-new-car-2019-fw42/4335809/

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 12:58

By the way, if you think that's the final front wing (in the other pictures), I've got a bridge to sell you ... :-)

RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 13:13
bigblue wrote:

By the way, if you think that's the final front wing (in the other pictures), I've got a bridge to sell you ... :-)

In my humble biased opinion, this is the best livery on any race car ever. :)

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 14:38
bigblue wrote:

What do you expect to change? Sadly, the front wings are so tightly regulated now that they are all going to look similar to this.

towncaptain
Profile for towncaptain
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 15:44
Vxtec wrote:
The wheelbase appears to have increased 'a smidgen' - to allow more room in reconfiguring power unit installation and possibly in the bargeboard area!

Ah, interesting. I actually thought the wheelbase decreased. Or I could be seeing a wheelbase increase while the overall length of the car staying the same, therefore giving the illusion the car shrunk? Hope that makes sense. This car is definitely not as bulky as last year's. A bit leaner and meaner :)

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 19:12
Dren wrote:
bigblue wrote:

What do you expect to change? Sadly, the front wings are so tightly regulated now that they are all going to look similar to this.

Yeah, as I wrote that, I did wonder if I was being too bold ! I was assuming that the end plates might be shaped a bit more, the ones shown look literally like square pieces, the HAAS had a bit of curve on them. But maybe that's a difference of philosophy, and the STR really will look like the wing shown.

No-one's now allowed to produce anything like the amazing Renault concoction from last year !

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 06:42
They have a 15 degree bend allowance, which is what the Haas car is taking advantage of at the end plate. The number of wing elements is limited to 5, the slot gap is heavily regulated, and the bend radius is as well. I think we'll see slight variations between the teams, but they will all look very similar and relatively mundane compared to what we were seeing the last few years.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 07:17
Renault has launched it's new car... comments to follow.

Link:
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-launches-2019-car-rs19/4336197/

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 07:58
First comments on the design of the RS19 are:

* an elongated wheelbase
* the five elements on the front wing taper down towards the endplates.
*There is no step at the top of the nose like the STR14.
*The bargeboard area appears somewhat busy rather than the more elegant design (at this stage) presented by the STR14.
* Front suspension layout very similar to STR14, apart from slight differences in the mounting point at the top of the nose.
*Rear wing attachment and RDS deployment mechanism seems a lot tidier on the STR14.
*Engine cover appears slightly more bulky - however it is more elongated on the STR14 and consequently slightly smaller fin.
*No T-wing on RS19 or STR14 compared to one on the Haas car.
*No winglets on HALO like the STR and Haas cars.
*No detail on floor edges (with holes/extended slots etc.) on the RS19 revealed yet like on the STR and Haas cars.

That's a summary of my first observations of RS19.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 07:58

https://www.racefans.net/2019/02/12/first-pictures-renault-shares-renders-of-its-rs19/

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 08:02
One further observation - PU intake is larger on the RS19 than last year's car.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 08:09
Vxtec wrote:
One further observation - PU intake is larger on the RS19 than last year's car.

… and adding, it's also more squatted/oblong shape than on the STR14 (which links in with my previous comment on the more bulky engine cover than on the STR car).

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 08:27
Gee! I am almost omitted to say: regarding the rear view mirrors, as per regulation are mounted further outboard from the cockpit - they have two oblique curved mountings (quite different set-up to the STR14), probably partly dictated by the relatively bulky engine cover and directing airflow around it.

Overall my impression is it does not appear to be as low drag/high downforce type of new F1 car as it could be... which might mean it's fourth place in last year's constructors championship could be challenged depending how much of an improvement they have made with their latest Renault PU... the proof will be in the pudding so to speak! I suppose early insights during pre-season testing - starting in about 5 days!

Looking forward with great anticipation to the Red Bull launch tomorrow! Yeah! :-)

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 08:53
It looks like they adopted a similar side pod front to what Red Bull ran last year. The rake of the car looks greater than last year's. There is a little wing between the two rear wing pillars. The lower front wishbone chassis attachment point curves sharply downward to direct flow.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 08:54
Also, the diffuser looks a lot like the Red Bull one from last year.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 09:05
Dren wrote:
It looks like they adopted a similar side pod front to what Red Bull ran last year. The rake of the car looks greater than last year's. There is a little wing between the two rear wing pillars. The lower front wishbone chassis attachment point curves sharply downward to direct flow.

I agree.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 09:14
Dren wrote:
Also, the diffuser looks a lot like the Red Bull one from last year.

I concur.

BTW, having a greater rake, similar to RB, is fine and dandy as long as all the other bits and pieces (including aero and suspension) work well in tandem (which RB was able to optimise so well) - because now the front wing is a lot simpler and there are more limitations around the bargeboard area which all affect what happens downstream and car dynamics! We will know soon enough!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 10:53
Wel, well, well... not a great start for Renault...

Quotes from the motorsport article, link: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-tight-new-car-ready-testing/4336463/

"Managing director Cyril Abiteboul says that while he still thinks the team can make testing, he says a shakedown planned for Saturday at Barcelona is now in doubt."

"Pushed on if the team was certain to be ready for the start of testing on Monday, Abiteboul said: "No. As we speak, we are 100% sure of nothing."

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 11:02
On the other hand...

Honda will provide a fair and equitable approach with resources for both Red Bull and Toro Rosso teams.

Link: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-toro-rosso-honda-resources/4336422/

Fingers (and toes) crossed this will turn out to be the case throughout the season... and hopefully the cars are ready (unlike Renault at this stage) for shakedown (on respective film days) and for first day of pre-season testing.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 11:35
Are they sandbagging? It's a gross incompetence if they can't make it to shakedown. No mention of problems to the rule changes, that went out to public at least, from the other teams so far. I don't see Renault having technical (money) problem, so why do they complaint about their state of being now?

Especially after acquiring Daniel Ricciardo, one of the best driver on the grid, they should spare no expenses in 2019 and destroy the competition, also put Redbull to shame for choosing Honda and proof that it's Redbull that's hard to work with.

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 12:49
It’s so hard to know what to believe within all the press spin and hyperbole
If Renault have,as claimed, made a huge step in PU performance then there maybe some envious glances from Red Bull...
Honda have been quiet on any winter gains but I sincerely hope they haven’t fallen back to 4th in the pecking order
It maybe of course Cyril being mischievous and trying to cause friction between Honda and Red Bull before the season begins !!

urbanglowcam
Profile for urbanglowcam
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 13:10
Looks like Honda F1 is hiring for quite a few roles if anyone is interested.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 20:29
Having further examined the new Renault car (as presented) it seems the end plates on the rear wing do not feature anywhere near the elaborateness of those on the STR14. So it reinforces my earlier impression that even though the RS19 might have made some progress (particularly on the PU side if we are to believe their pronouncements) then it might be the case that the STR team have possibly made a bigger step with its new car (and if the Honda PU has made a significant step in reliability and performance during winter) and edged a lot closer to the Renault team (4th in last year's constructors championship)… as I have previously stated, we will know soon enough!

Anyway, it will not be long now before Red Bull launches it's car today! Yeah! :-)

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 22:05
Judging from comments put out by the Renault team, what you're seeing in those photos is not the final product that will take to the track in a week's time [if they make it!].

Thread Page - 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0