[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: The Japanese Classic Wing of my garage!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Return of Classic Japanese Coupes?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-10-2019 13:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
papapoly wrote:
I will believe it when I see it on the sales floor. Toyota just canceled the next gen 86. All I know is they better hurry up because they will lose the nostalgia factor as a whole generation of buyers grew up never knowing these models. The youngest of us that still remember are already in our early 40s maybe late 30s at best.

You know...take off the rose colored glasses. Toyotas weren't that good handling. The Supra was always a GT. Toyota made economy and GT cars. With a few luxos in the way ( until they came out with Lexus ).

The only really good handling Toyota was the Mr. Two Turbo. And even then it was known for lift throttle oversteering.

The really good handling "classic Japanese" cars were Datsuns.

You obviously never drove a 4th Gen A80 Supra and don't know what the hell you are talking about if you try to say it does not handle well and is just a GT car. The last gen Supra was a great handling car, especially for its size, one of the better handling cars coming from Japan. The SC400 was the GT car, the Supra was a legitimate good handling sports car, even today Supra's are solid handling cars. I never read a review where they complained about its handling either.

I sold Toyota's in the 1980's and I remember the Supra as an excellent handling car, and pretty damned quick in the Turbo.

Datsun 510.

The I6 Supra from the 80s was a GT car, nose heavy.

You two have a short memory span. A car from the 90s is NOT a Classic Car.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Return of Classic Japanese Coupes?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-10-2019 14:33
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
papapoly wrote:
I will believe it when I see it on the sales floor. Toyota just canceled the next gen 86. All I know is they better hurry up because they will lose the nostalgia factor as a whole generation of buyers grew up never knowing these models. The youngest of us that still remember are already in our early 40s maybe late 30s at best.

You know...take off the rose colored glasses. Toyotas weren't that good handling. The Supra was always a GT. Toyota made economy and GT cars. With a few luxos in the way ( until they came out with Lexus ).

The only really good handling Toyota was the Mr. Two Turbo. And even then it was known for lift throttle oversteering.

You obviously never drove a 4th Gen A80 Supra and don't know what the hell you are talking about if you try to say it does not handle well and is just a GT car. The last gen Supra was a great handling car, especially for its size, one of the better handling cars coming from Japan. The SC400 was the GT car, the Supra was a legitimate good handling sports car, even today Supra's are solid handling cars. I never read a review where they complained about its handling either.

I sold Toyota's in the 1980's and I remember the Supra as an excellent handling car, and pretty damned quick in the Turbo.

Datsun 510.

So, TonyEX, you would say that the S2000's and NSX's from the 1990's and into the 2000's are Not Classic Cars?

Currently rising prices of those, along with the TT Supra's from that era would say otherwise.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Return of Classic Japanese Coupes?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-10-2019 15:18
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
papapoly wrote:

Datsun 510.

So, TonyEX, you would say that the S2000's and NSX's from the 1990's and into the 2000's are Not Classic Cars?

Currently rising prices of those, along with the TT Supra's from that era would say otherwise.

From Wikipedia
"A classic car is an older automobile; the exact definition varies around the world. The common theme is of an older car with enough historical interest to be collectable and worth preserving or restoring rather than scrapping.

Cars 20 years and older typically fall into the classic class."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_car

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Return of Classic Japanese Coupes?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 11:38
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
papapoly wrote:

Datsun 510.

You were not just talking classic cars. So a car from the 90's is not a classic car yet one from the mid 80's is? Give me a break. 4th Gen Supra is now over 20 years old and gaining value. If a Supra is not a classic car then a MR2 is not one either. MR2 came out in the mid 80's, Lexus and Acura started in the 80's, it is not like the MR2 is some car from the 1960's or even early 70's to give it classic status over the last gen Supra.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Return of Classic Japanese Coupes?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-11-2019 16:00
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
papapoly wrote:

Datsun 510.

You were not just talking classic cars. So a car from the 90's is not a classic car yet one from the mid 80's is? Give me a break. 4th Gen Supra is now over 20 years old and gaining value. If a Supra is not a classic car then a MR2 is not one either. MR2 came out in the mid 80's, Lexus and Acura started in the 80's, it is not like the MR2 is some car from the 1960's or even early 70's to give it classic status over the last gen Supra.

WTF:

The TITLE of this tread is:

"Return of Classic Japanese Coupes"

I go to the Classic Japanese Car Show:

http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/

They only take cars from the early 80s and back, nothing afterwards. I figure THEY are the experts... so until they allow something from the 90s, they are not considered classic.

Of course, a Datsun 510 with an SSS 2 liter motor, Webbers, Pirellis, Konis will leave your Supra in the dust. But then, you are way too young to remember those cars.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Return of Classic Japanese Coupes?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 00:51
TonyEX wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
papapoly wrote:

Datsun 510.

WTF:

They only take cars from the early 80s and back, nothing afterwards. I figure THEY are the experts... so until they allow something from the 90s, they are not considered classic.

Of course, a Datsun 510 with an SSS 2 liter motor, Webbers, Pirellis, Konis will leave your Supra in the dust. But then, you are way too young to remember those cars.

MR2 came out in 1984, technically not early 80's. Less then 10 years separates when the original MR2 came out and the 4th Gen Supra from 1993. Most don't consider the MR2 a classic Japanese car anymore then the 4th Gen Supra. 510's, 240Z's, 2000GT's, RX2's are considered more of the classics.

A modified 4th Gen Supra will leave a modified 510 in the dust(unless you maybe you drop a 8 cylinder in it and gut it), Supra's can put out amazing power/numbers on stock internals.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
The Japanese Classic Wing of my garage!    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 14:40
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

WTF:

MR2 came out in 1984, technically not early 80's. Less then 10 years separates when the original MR2 came out and the 4th Gen Supra from 1993. Most don't consider the MR2 a classic Japanese car anymore then the 4th Gen Supra. 510's, 240Z's, 2000GT's, RX2's are considered more of the classics.

A modified 4th Gen Supra will leave a modified 510 in the dust(unless you maybe you drop a 8 cylinder in it and gut it), Supra's can put out amazing power/numbers on stock internals.

(1) No MR2s at the classic show. I haven't seen any yet. And honestly the first generation was rather fugly.

(2) The Datsun 510 from the early 70s was an awesome little car. It weighted in the mid 2000 lbs, had an independent rear suspension and an indestructible bottom end.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1971-datsun-510-trans/
http://www.cardomain.com/makemodel/datsun/410/

I think you have to eat the words you typed. No way the Supra could keep up with a properly set up 510. And then, you got the folks that will put more modern DOHC I4 Nissan and 5MT into their 510s... but that's considered sacrilege. Repent! Sure, it goes fast, but no style, not at all.

(3) Oddly, there's less love for the 240/260/280Z. I think people prefer the 240 over the later cars.

(4) For Toyota... I love the one guy with the lowered, all black Crown. It has a license plate that says Shogun and a katana mounted in the trunk ( a spare for the Kill Bill crowd ). BTW, the Crown, aka Camry(*), used to be a luxury sedan in the late 60 and early 70s.

(5) I love the Mazdas.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/mazda/r100/r_100_rotary_coupe/1970.html

(6) Toyota did have an excellent coupe, very James Bond like, 2000GT, although it was built by Yamaha and originally meant to be sold as a Datsun. Very Toyota like to have someone else build their fun cars:

https://silodrome.com/toyota-2000gt-roadster/

Nevertheless, if I won the Lotto big time, I would have a Japanese Classic Wing in my garage:

blue/white strip '67 Datsun 410 sedan,
blue '70 510 two door,
tan '70 510 wagon,
white Toyota 2000GT,
silver Datsun 2000 roadster,
silver Honda S600 -with the hard top-,
white '00 ITR,
red '97-01 NSX
red Honda AP2

Might have to get an MDX and a Ridgeline too.

Mazda would tempt me, but I'd be more inclined to add:

pastel green Datsun 520 (passing over the 1.5 of the 521 because I love how it looks)
and perhaps a blue 620, hopefully the King Cab.

(*) According to my wife, "Crown" is pronounced like "Camry" by the Japanese. We have, btw, a hoot trying out the Engrish... and she has some funny work stories about that.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: The Japanese Classic Wing of my garage!    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 15:30
TonyEX wrote:

I think you have to eat the words you typed. No way the Supra could keep up with a properly set up 510.

TonyEX, start eating!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: The Japanese Classic Wing of my garage!    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 16:27
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

I think you have to eat the words you typed. No way the Supra could keep up with a properly set up 510.

TonyEX, start eating!

Pictures of a movie with some ludicrous cars doing all kinds of stupid showy moves to impress the kiddies with their video game racing mentality.

That hot rodded Supra will go sideways into the weeds at Laguna Seca at the first turn it attempts at any kind of speed, while even a mildly tweaked 510 will be half way down the corkscrew.

And yeah, a Charger with a tall supercharger. That car too will be super fast at a road course. "Hey Ayrton, please get out my way, me and my Dodge are in a hurry".

Movies man, I provided you REALITY. Read the links.

intune
Profile for intune
Re: The Japanese Classic Wing of my garage!    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-12-2019 22:28
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

TonyEX, start eating!

Pictures of a movie with some ludicrous cars doing all kinds of stupid showy moves to impress the kiddies with their video game racing mentality.

That hot rodded Supra will go sideways into the weeds at Laguna Seca at the first turn it attempts at any kind of speed, while even a mildly tweaked 510 will be half way down the corkscrew.

And yeah, a Charger with a tall supercharger. That car too will be super fast at a road course. "Hey Ayrton, please get out my way, me and my Dodge are in a hurry".

I don't know, man. It's no 510, but this Supra looks pretty fast.

Nürburgring BTG in 7:18

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: The Japanese Classic Wing of my garage!    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 14:47
intune wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

TonyEX, start eating!

Looks like the Supra is staying out of the weeds pretty well at the 'Ring, eh TonyEX!

:)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: The Japanese Classic Wing of my garage!    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-13-2019 18:13
superchg2 wrote:
intune wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

TonyEX, start eating!

Looks like the Supra is staying out of the weeds pretty well at the 'Ring, eh TonyEX!

:)

Well, let me pull a Lexus and say that the 510 did it with much more class.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0