[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
More.......................
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
More.......................
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 09:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
NSXman wrote:

YouTube is also nice for jobs you've not done before.


When I replaced the radio in my Si with the same unit, I was really glad to find a YouTube about taking the dash apart, and also ordered little plastic pry bars for dismantling.





I don't think you even need that, do you? It's like 2 bolts in the cubby under the radio, and one screw on the left hand trim piece?

I think the only thing you needed to 'pry' was the cover for the 2 bolts, and you can use a large flathead screwdriver with electric tape on the edge. Everything else literally pulled off if I recall.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 10:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yes, still do most things on my fleet. Tire Mounting/Balancing & Alignments from independents and warranty & recall from the dealer.

That said, made the mistake of purchasing a 'project' car for my son and I to wrench on. Picked up an 11 Mini Cooper S. Ugghhhh.....I hate German engineering. Can't wait to fix a few more items and simply flip this and get back into something Japanese (or possibly even American). The stupidity of how things are engineered and the failure rates of items that should never fail is simply astounding.

For example, battery needed replaced. Purchased a new one and installed. Turn signals, interior lights, power windows, etc. all stopped working. The footwell module needed replaced/repaired (a $1300 problem if the dealer replaces). Thankfully it was covered under a TSB for free, but that's the kind of idiocy in their engineering/execution. Another is the PCV valve. It's non-serviceable item which is integrated into the valve cover. When it fails, you need to replace the entire valve cover (over $400).


TLinTX
Profile for TLinTX
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 10:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I still perform oil changes. I have a set of ramps that makes getting the vehicle accessible a breeze.

Doing my own brakes and struts has saved thousands of dollars over going to the dealer.

Who has a Fumoto oil plug valve? I got one for Christmas a few years ago but it doesn't fit on any oil pan I have tried so far (generally all on J-series V6's). The threads match up but there is not enough room to spin it on without hitting the pan itself.

JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 12:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TLinTX wrote:
I still perform oil changes. I have a set of ramps that makes getting the vehicle accessible a breeze.

Doing my own brakes and struts has saved thousands of dollars over going to the dealer.

Who has a Fumoto oil plug valve? I got one for Christmas a few years ago but it doesn't fit on any oil pan I have tried so far (generally all on J-series V6's). The threads match up but there is not enough room to spin it on without hitting the pan itself.



I had the Fumoto drain valve on both my S2000s. It was awesome! I could do the entire oil change without going under the car. Just slide a low-profile oil catch pan under the car, reach down the side of the engine to reach the valve to open it and let the oil drain, then close the valve, spin off the oil filter from above (had to watch out for the header), put a new one on and then fill with oil. Very fast and easy - I loved it! The S2000 had so much room to work with in the engine bay.

For the Odyssey, you need the extension/spacer in front of the valve, threading directly to the oil pan. I haven't ordered one yet but it will fit with the brass extender.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 12:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
typer_801 wrote:
Yes, still do most things on my fleet. Tire Mounting/Balancing & Alignments from independents and warranty & recall from the dealer.

That said, made the mistake of purchasing a 'project' car for my son and I to wrench on. Picked up an 11 Mini Cooper S. Ugghhhh.....I hate German engineering. Can't wait to fix a few more items and simply flip this and get back into something Japanese (or possibly even American). The stupidity of how things are engineered and the failure rates of items that should never fail is simply astounding.

For example, battery needed replaced. Purchased a new one and installed. Turn signals, interior lights, power windows, etc. all stopped working. The footwell module needed replaced/repaired (a $1300 problem if the dealer replaces). Thankfully it was covered under a TSB for free, but that's the kind of idiocy in their engineering/execution. Another is the PCV valve. It's non-serviceable item which is integrated into the valve cover. When it fails, you need to replace the entire valve cover (over $400).




Yeah, some of the German stuff is crazy to fix/change...and shouldn't fail in the first place. Oil changes seem to be the easiest, however, as they usually put the filter on top. Parts are usually more expensive vs Japanese/American, as well.

Not sure if the case on the 11 Mini's or if BS, but many German car's require/claim the battery has to be "coded" to the car after a new install. That may be the cause of things not working.

Maxtierney
Profile for Maxtierney
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-07-2019 23:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TLinTX wrote:
I still perform oil changes. I have a set of ramps that makes getting the vehicle accessible a breeze.

Doing my own brakes and struts has saved thousands of dollars over going to the dealer.

Who has a Fumoto oil plug valve? I got one for Christmas a few years ago but it doesn't fit on any oil pan I have tried so far (generally all on J-series V6's). The threads match up but there is not enough room to spin it on without hitting the pan itself.



I have the newer SX style on all three of my Odysseys. 2006, 2014 and 2016.



silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 00:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't know how much this valve assembly sticks out below the crankcase or if there is a shield in front of it. One of the concerns of this is road debris could snap it off from the crankcase, which would become quite an event.

How often does this happen. Not much but once in a while in the course of ownership we have to straddle some road debris. I was once driving on a snow plowed road and while changing lanes, there was a big chunk of a welded metal bracket in my way, this bracket looked like something that came out of some heavy machinery. It was too late to swerve without sliding off the partially snow covered road so I cringed and decide to straddle the debris, hoping I had enough ground clearance. It was going to be close.

As I went over the debris at 40 mph, a big jolt rocked my car and my front wheels came off the ground violently and then I landed. I thought I was Bo Duke for a moment. Upon closer inspection afterwards, the road debris deformed a cross member which supports the rear of the transmission. This was huge cast aluminum bracket that was a structural member of the engine/trans assembly. It took hitting a solid part like that to launch my car up in the air ever so slightly. But I still felt like Bo Dukes from inside the car. Before it took out the cross member, it damaged my header, exhaust, and as it make its exit, it cut sheet metal supporting my spare tire. They had to re-weld it.

That wasn't the first time I straddle something. It just happened to be the only time which resulted in it being an event. I like the simplicity of a drain valve for the oil. But when I do a FMEA, the failure mode, severity and detection didn't add up to good number hence it wouldn't be something I would do. However, I understand other owners FMEA may yield different results so enjoy the convenience of the drain valve.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 12:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
The dealers changes the wiper blades for us.

Sometimes, before a long trip, and if we were above 50% on the oil life, I may raise the hood and check on the windshield wiper fluid.

As I recall, I topped off the reservoir with some anti-freeze windshield wiper fluid before our Xmas drive to Seattle last time.

We also get the cars washed and waxed.

But then, we are very clean people so our cars stay clean and running well.


TonyEX, you used to do quite a bit of wrenching, right?



You mean, retching?

No, not really. I seldom have attacks of technicolor yawns.

I do have some wrenches, though, so I can really mess things up if I get to it... so I avoid wretching my cars.






superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 12:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
The dealers changes the wiper blades for us.

Sometimes, before a long trip, and if we were above 50% on the oil life, I may raise the hood and check on the windshield wiper fluid.

As I recall, I topped off the reservoir with some anti-freeze windshield wiper fluid before our Xmas drive to Seattle last time.

We also get the cars washed and waxed.

But then, we are very clean people so our cars stay clean and running well.


TonyEX, you used to do quite a bit of wrenching, right?



You mean, retching?

No, not really. I seldom have attacks of technicolor yawns.

I do have some wrenches, though, so I can really mess things up if I get to it... so I avoid wretching my cars.



I actually did mean wrenching, not sure where you came up with retching?

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 14:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
The dealers changes the wiper blades for us.

Sometimes, before a long trip, and if we were above 50% on the oil life, I may raise the hood and check on the windshield wiper fluid.

As I recall, I topped off the reservoir with some anti-freeze windshield wiper fluid before our Xmas drive to Seattle last time.

We also get the cars washed and waxed.

But then, we are very clean people so our cars stay clean and running well.


TonyEX, you used to do quite a bit of wrenching, right?



You mean, retching?

No, not really. I seldom have attacks of technicolor yawns.

I do have some wrenches, though, so I can really mess things up if I get to it... so I avoid wretching my cars.



I actually did mean wrenching, not sure where you came up with retching?



Tony, have you been adjusting Superchg's sense of humour again..?

I've told you about that.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 14:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
The dealers changes the wiper blades for us.

Sometimes, before a long trip, and if we were above 50% on the oil life, I may raise the hood and check on the windshield wiper fluid.

As I recall, I topped off the reservoir with some anti-freeze windshield wiper fluid before our Xmas drive to Seattle last time.

We also get the cars washed and waxed.

But then, we are very clean people so our cars stay clean and running well.


TonyEX, you used to do quite a bit of wrenching, right?



You mean, retching?

No, not really. I seldom have attacks of technicolor yawns.

I do have some wrenches, though, so I can really mess things up if I get to it... so I avoid wretching my cars.



I actually did mean wrenching, not sure where you came up with retching?



Tony, have you been adjusting Superchg's sense of humour again..?

I've told you about that.



Does he have a sense of humor?

What a wretching experience. Heck, imagine, spanning (*) so many threads and always missing the screwing sarcasm and twisting irony. Maybe we should jump start him and torque up his character.

(*) I'll give the English language some homage here.


Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 14:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
The dealers changes the wiper blades for us.

Sometimes, before a long trip, and if we were above 50% on the oil life, I may raise the hood and check on the windshield wiper fluid.

As I recall, I topped off the reservoir with some anti-freeze windshield wiper fluid before our Xmas drive to Seattle last time.

We also get the cars washed and waxed.

But then, we are very clean people so our cars stay clean and running well.


TonyEX, you used to do quite a bit of wrenching, right?



You mean, retching?

No, not really. I seldom have attacks of technicolor yawns.

I do have some wrenches, though, so I can really mess things up if I get to it... so I avoid wretching my cars.



I actually did mean wrenching, not sure where you came up with retching?



Tony, have you been adjusting Superchg's sense of humour again..?

I've told you about that.



Does he have a sense of humor?

What a wretching experience. Heck, imagine, spanning (*) so many threads and always missing the screwing sarcasm and twisting irony. Maybe we should jump start him and torque up his character.

(*) I'll give the English language some homage here.




Nah, he's just bolted down a bit tight. And now this thread's stripped.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 14:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:


Tony, have you been adjusting Superchg's sense of humour again..?

I've told you about that.



Does he have a sense of humor?

What a wretching experience. Heck, imagine, spanning (*) so many threads and always missing the screwing sarcasm and twisting irony. Maybe we should jump start him and torque up his character.

(*) I'll give the English language some homage here.




Nah, he's just bolted down a bit tight. And now this thread's stripped.



He needs some whiskey to loosen up that Loctite. Maybe bring a 10 year old Tennessee Torque Wrench on the rocks to spin him loose.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 15:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:


Tony, have you been adjusting Superchg's sense of humour again..?

I've told you about that.



Does he have a sense of humor?

What a wretching experience. Heck, imagine, spanning (*) so many threads and always missing the screwing sarcasm and twisting irony. Maybe we should jump start him and torque up his character.

(*) I'll give the English language some homage here.




Nah, he's just bolted down a bit tight. And now this thread's stripped.



He needs some whiskey to loosen up that Loctite. Maybe bring a 10 year old Tennessee Torque Wrench on the rocks to spin him loose.


Somebody threw a spanner and they threw him in the hole

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 15:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:


Tony, have you been adjusting Superchg's sense of humour again..?

I've told you about that.



Does he have a sense of humor?

What a wretching experience. Heck, imagine, spanning (*) so many threads and always missing the screwing sarcasm and twisting irony. Maybe we should jump start him and torque up his character.

(*) I'll give the English language some homage here.




Nah, he's just bolted down a bit tight. And now this thread's stripped.



He needs some whiskey to loosen up that Loctite. Maybe bring a 10 year old Tennessee Torque Wrench on the rocks to spin him loose.


Somebody threw a spanner and they threw him in the hole



Well, if all we're gonna do is quote... might as well use some history.

My object all sublime
I shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment!
Of innocent merriment!



typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Do you still wrench on your cars?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2019 16:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
That is the case for the Navi cars, but not with the non-Navi ones like mine. So I lucked out there as that programming for a battery replacement is typically around $140 (plus the battery cost).

cksi1372 wrote:
typer_801 wrote:
Yes, still do most things on my fleet. Tire Mounting/Balancing & Alignments from independents and warranty & recall from the dealer.

That said, made the mistake of purchasing a 'project' car for my son and I to wrench on. Picked up an 11 Mini Cooper S. Ugghhhh.....I hate German engineering. Can't wait to fix a few more items and simply flip this and get back into something Japanese (or possibly even American). The stupidity of how things are engineered and the failure rates of items that should never fail is simply astounding.

For example, battery needed replaced. Purchased a new one and installed. Turn signals, interior lights, power windows, etc. all stopped working. The footwell module needed replaced/repaired (a $1300 problem if the dealer replaces). Thankfully it was covered under a TSB for free, but that's the kind of idiocy in their engineering/execution. Another is the PCV valve. It's non-serviceable item which is integrated into the valve cover. When it fails, you need to replace the entire valve cover (over $400).




Yeah, some of the German stuff is crazy to fix/change...and shouldn't fail in the first place. Oil changes seem to be the easiest, however, as they usually put the filter on top. Parts are usually more expensive vs Japanese/American, as well.

Not sure if the case on the 11 Mini's or if BS, but many German car's require/claim the battery has to be "coded" to the car after a new install. That may be the cause of things not working.




 
Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0