[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Driveô
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Cars for a mid life crisis

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 16:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well, some of us have managed to delay the onset of mid life crisis with tomatoes, cigars and new capacitors in the preamp...

But at some point, IMHO, we ALL reach a mid life crisis. The unlucky ones get a divorce, get a younger trophy wife and move to a rented two bedroom downstairs condo.

The lucky ones, keep the wife and the garage and get a car.

So, I know that a guy like Jeff has his S2K and his Sport Wagon... on top of that his kid got the Si.

Shawn is beyond jaded, he just wants a "special 911". Maybe a white 911 Carrera RSR with "Martini Racing" plastered all over it.

I managed to delay this... mostly because when you get an Alfa Romeo in your 20s it REALLY cures you of seeking "sexyness" in a car for a Looooong time -or at least it takes two or three years to recoup your financial losses and then you become wiser.

So, what's the best car for a mid (or late) mid life crisis? (*)

My own take? A Red Civic Type R with an additional top rear window spoiler from the Si, to make it a triplane.

Or if AHM ever makes it, a red ILX-R SH-AWD.

(*) Please no jokes about a Buick for a 'late' life crisis. ;-)

rogazilla
Profile for rogazilla
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 16:32
I accelerated the process by divorcing in my 20's and got a s2k.

Then I started a family and left S2k. Now that I am able, I went with the cheapest gen of the 911... but when they say there is a Porsche Tax, take it serious, even wrenching myself, some of the part price is just stupid. Gotta pay to play. I almost traded it in for a Championship white type R but Dealership pissed me off when I was ready to sign the dotted line and we walked away.

However, I told wife after that, if Acura offers type R in a hatch or wagon trim in ILX or TLX then I am going for that.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 16:34
Honda Ridgeline.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 17:21
NealX wrote:
Honda Ridgeline.

Oh no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO!

I'm shooting myself.

You mean I missed the whole thing?

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 17:57
Budget mid-life crisis : Integra Type-R and a motor vehicle maintenance course, then hide in the garage with your car for extended periods.

No I did not do this yet, but come to think of it it sounds rather compelling.

Nehring
Profile for Nehring
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 20:23
@42 bought a 2016 Golf GTI with PP and DSG. I view a GTI as a little bit of Jeff TSX Wagon practically, which holds two kids, with turbo boost kicker. (Keeping fingers crossed that it lasts to 100K with no major issues.)
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 20:46
Nehring wrote:
@42 bought a 2016 Golf GTI with PP and DSG. I view a GTI as a little bit of Jeff TSX Wagon practically, which holds two kids, with turbo boost kicker. (Keeping fingers crossed that it lasts to 100K with no major issues.)

When I was 42 I had traded the GSR for an SH... and missed out on the ITR by an hour.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 22:23
Don't know your budget. Consider Cayman T if that is in your price range. Or a BMW Supra. Or an M2. Miata or a Subi S209.

But if u are a Honda guy....there is only one choice...CTR

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 06:26
What's mid-life these days, 40, 50? I've got a couple years until I hit 40. I'd love to be able to afford a slightly used NSX.
BG
Profile for BG
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 07:00
I've seen the Type R in red and it would want to be a particularly spectacular mid life crisis to choose that colour!!

Unless you can opt for an Alfa in red....

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/giulia/quadrifoglio

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 10:56
Dren wrote:
What's mid-life these days, 40, 50? I've got a couple years until I hit 40. I'd love to be able to afford a slightly used NSX.

I would say definitely in your 50's these days, 40's is too young for a mid life crisis, a lot of guys in their their 30's and 40's are just starting a family.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 10:59
lexusgs wrote:
Dren wrote:

I would say definitely in your 50's these days, 40's is too young for a mid life crisis, a lot of guys in their their 30's and 40's are just starting a family.

I would say definitely in your 50's these days, 40's is too young for a mid life crisis, a lot of guys in their late 30's and 40's are just starting a family.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 12:24
lexusgs wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
Dren wrote:

I would say definitely in your 50's these days, 40's is too young for a mid life crisis, a lot of guys in their late 30's and 40's are just starting a family.

Yes, though I'd say there's a trend towards getting married early - combining resources for more financial stability.

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 12:36
How much money have you got ? :-) Here's a non-budget, non-Honda choice :

Singer 911 with the Williams / Mezger stuff. But I would feel a bit odd about hacking a 911 up to do this, so probably the 964RS.

OK a 911 is a bit obvious, but these are quite nice !

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 12:36
My original post got lost so letís try again. My midlife crisis was a 289 V8 Sunshine Yellow Ď66 Mustang coupe. Welcome to the old-car money pit. Fortunately a guy in the shop loved to work on old cars but even then it cost a bundle. I sold it before my oldest son turned 16 because I didnít want him tearing up the streets with that much horsepower and drum brakes. Bad choice for a midlife crisis.

A much better choice was to quit my long corporate career and start my own software/consulting business, which made me very happy for the 11 years in operation. I retired and shut the business down. (Bill Gates wasnít interested in buying it so...)

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 12:39
Me personally....mid-life crisis would have a few tenants. RWD, great engine, great chassis (in convertible, sports coupe or sedan form) and is in a desirable wrapper (looks good, gets respect). Also to qualify - has to have some level of disregard for financial sanity, practicality and reason.

Can be new or used....doesn't matter.

Cars like that which come to mind:

Porsche - Boxster/Cayman (987 or newer), 911
MB - C63 AMG (08+), E63 AMG (other variants too, but these are the more popular ones)
BMW - M2, M3 (E46 or E9x), maybe a 1M too
Honda/Acura - NSX, S2000 (nicer, low mileage one)
Mustang 5.0L (i.e. GT350, GT PP 1 or 2, Boss 302, Bullitt)
Camaro V8 (i.e. SS 1LE, ZL1, Z28)

Plenty of other options too, but things like a Miata, while fun...don't scream mid-life crisis (nor does it have a great engine). A Civic Type-R doesn't make the cut for me either as it simply looks like an adolescent car. Would be a great daily though, but wouldn't signify a mid-life crisis since it's so frugal and practical.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 13:12
typer_801 wrote:
Me personally....mid-life crisis would have a few tenants. RWD, great engine, great chassis (in convertible, sports coupe or sedan form) and is in a desirable wrapper (looks good, gets respect). Also to qualify - has to have some level of disregard for financial sanity, practicality and reason.

MB - C63 AMG (08+), E63 AMG (other variants too, but these are the more popular ones)

Plenty of other options too, but things like a Miata, while fun...don't scream mid-life crisis (nor does it have a great engine). A Civic Type-R doesn't make the cut for me either as it simply looks like an adolescent car. Would be a great daily though, but wouldn't signify a mid-life crisis since it's so frugal and practical.

Since I am 62, I sometimes wonder how it looks with me hunkering down in my Si, rather than driving a staid sedan or SUV.

I enjoy the ride, and it is also quite frugal, but I can rip it to 7,000 r.p.m. whenever I want to boogie.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 13:21
typer_801 wrote:

Since I am 62, I sometimes wonder how it looks with me hunkering down in my Si, rather than driving a staid sedan or SUV.

I enjoy the ride, and it is also quite frugal, but I can rip it to 7,000 r.p.m. whenever I want to boogie.

To qualify that, the Si does not ride well, but with the new 22 mm rear sway bar it does real well in the corners.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 14:33
BG wrote:
I've seen the Type R in red and it would want to be a particularly spectacular mid life crisis to choose that colour!!

Unless you can opt for an Alfa in red....

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/giulia/quadrifoglio

Never... Never a newer Alfa, nothing built after '72 that was shipped to the US with the Spica FI.

As I was telling my wife, it's either a CTR or a something along the lines of a '69 Alfa Romeo GTV.... Fully understanding the Alfa will be a lot slower and likely tie us down to living in our part of Orange County, close to all the auto shops in Costa Mesa.

...or, who knows, if we start thinking about older cars without a working AC... then you got the '70 Datsun 510 with the SSS tach and an SR22/5MT powertrain. (I much prefer the looks of the wagon, but the coupe/sedan have the IRS).

...or, there's the Datsun 2000 convertible. On that one I'd make my wife happy and get it silver with a black interior/top.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 14:35
New cars?

Miata...perfect for fun drives in the country to reflect on your life thus far
Type-R...you can feel young but still have a seriously competent driver's car
M2 Competition...power and precision meet here, sure to make you forget your worries
Corvette...the classic mid life crisis car and after all the C7 has some serious performance chops

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 14:36
lexusgs wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
Dren wrote:

In my late 30s and 40s I built the Mighty Odyssey Type Rs, aka OTR.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 15:10
superchg2 wrote:
typer_801 wrote:

To qualify that, the Si does not ride well, but with the new 22 mm rear sway bar it does real well in the corners.

Given that we're about contemporaries.... do you play this when you boogie with the Si?

Dance, boogie wonderland
Dance, boogie wonderland
(I find romance when I start to dance in boogie wonderland
I find romance when I start to dance in boogie wonderland)
Dance, boogie wonderland
Dance, boogie wonderland

BTW, my cousin and her husband got a brand new Miata with that folding hard top. I drove it, it's really very nice and very well suited to the beautiful roads of the Puget Sound area. Not fast but great on the curves and you can keep the top sealed nicely when it's wet.

He was also looking at a 'Vette but he thought it was simply overpowered for the place.

About the list of cars above... a mid life crisis car doesn't have to be all powerful. I like the CTR precisely because it can be driven in stop and go traffic on the 405 during a hot August afternoon, or for a Costco run or for a nice drive up the 101, and side roads, to do a wine/BBQ tour in Central California. And it has room to safely carry back home, in cooled safety, a few cases of wine.

And do all of that with the confidence that the only "tools" I need are my wallet, credit cards and cell phone. The car is reliable, I'd done with mechanics and fixing car things.

The Datsun 510 and 2000 are cars that properly rebuilt will be nicely reliable and we can take them to the Classic Japanese Car Show in Lng Beach and talk with the folks out there (very, VERY cool cars and people... those guys in East LA sure know their Datsun 410s... '67 Datsun 520 anyone? BEAUTIFUL...).

So, it leaves the Alfa GTV in the list in the putative list I made up... It is definitely a gorgeous looking and sounding car, but done right it will have dual Webbers (*) and it will be a PITA to maintain. But, as I noted, there are lots of mechanics in Costa Mesa that deal with those cars. Maybe I could have the car stored in one of their garages and pick it up once a month or so for the weekend... within the 100 miles of the free AAA tow service.

My first car was a 67 1/2 Mustang 289/3MT with a balanced, blueprinted engine, a huge aftermarket tach on the column and the biggest Hurst shifter you've seen! It was fun, but I have no desire to go back there.

And I'm also somewhat sensitive to price (**), so I got to manage the funds to keep the tomatoes, stereo and cigars coming. And God Forbid I decide to upgrade from my refurbished Expobar machine to a new Rocket R52. Say goodbye to the CTR then, hello to an Si.

(*) My old '70 Datsun 510 had a single Webber, with tuned manifold and a 2.0L SSS head (the bottom was the stock 1.6) and it was very reliable.

(**) Mostly, what I'm sensitive to is my wife. She usually complains when I spend money. And given her "connection" it has to be a Honda car unless I go way back to a classic. Hmm... a '76 Honda Civic CVCC wagon, in yellow, with the optional AM/FM radio and aftermarket 13" Minilites, radials and Pioneer cassette and speakers. And that cool gold/white/yellow shag carpeting all over.... WAIT! That was MY car then... ;-)

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 19:06
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
typer_801 wrote:

Given that we're about contemporaries.... do you play this when you boogie with the Si?

Dance, boogie wonderland
Dance, boogie wonderland
(I find romance when I start to dance in boogie wonderland
I find romance when I start to dance in boogie wonderland)
Dance, boogie wonderland
Dance, boogie wonderland

BTW, my cousin and her husband got a brand new Miata with that folding hard top. I drove it, it's really very nice and very well suited to the beautiful roads of the Puget Sound area. Not fast but great on the curves and you can keep the top sealed nicely when it's wet.

He was also looking at a 'Vette but he thought it was simply overpowered for the place.

About the list of cars above... a mid life crisis car doesn't have to be all powerful. I like the CTR precisely because it can be driven in stop and go traffic on the 405 during a hot August afternoon, or for a Costco run or for a nice drive up the 101, and side roads, to do a wine/BBQ tour in Central California. And it has room to safely carry back home, in cooled safety, a few cases of wine.

And do all of that with the confidence that the only "tools" I need are my wallet, credit cards and cell phone. The car is reliable, I'd done with mechanics and fixing car things.

The Datsun 510 and 2000 are cars that properly rebuilt will be nicely reliable and we can take them to the Classic Japanese Car Show in Lng Beach and talk with the folks out there (very, VERY cool cars and people... those guys in East LA sure know their Datsun 410s... '67 Datsun 520 anyone? BEAUTIFUL...).

So, it leaves the Alfa GTV in the list in the putative list I made up... It is definitely a gorgeous looking and sounding car, but done right it will have dual Webbers (*) and it will be a PITA to maintain. But, as I noted, there are lots of mechanics in Costa Mesa that deal with those cars. Maybe I could have the car stored in one of their garages and pick it up once a month or so for the weekend... within the 100 miles of the free AAA tow service.

My first car was a 67 1/2 Mustang 289/3MT with a balanced, blueprinted engine, a huge aftermarket tach on the column and the biggest Hurst shifter you've seen! It was fun, but I have no desire to go back there.

And I'm also somewhat sensitive to price (**), so I got to manage the funds to keep the tomatoes, stereo and cigars coming. And God Forbid I decide to upgrade from my refurbished Expobar machine to a new Rocket R52. Say goodbye to the CTR then, hello to an Si.

(*) My old '70 Datsun 510 had a single Webber, with tuned manifold and a 2.0L SSS head (the bottom was the stock 1.6) and it was very reliable.

(**) Mostly, what I'm sensitive to is my wife. She usually complains when I spend money. And given her "connection" it has to be a Honda car unless I go way back to a classic. Hmm... a '76 Honda Civic CVCC wagon, in yellow, with the optional AM/FM radio and aftermarket 13" Minilites, radials and Pioneer cassette and speakers. And that cool gold/white/yellow shag carpeting all over.... WAIT! That was MY car then... ;-)

Your cousin picked the MX-5 RF? It makes a lot of sense and the strange part is with the early Miata and therefore the current MX-5 being direct descendants of the Lotus Elan the RF is actually rather like the small number of Elan hardtops which were made. That's rather cool.

I'm tempted by every old Mustang I see in the auctions on TV and at car shows but, good gravy, they were death traps. At least pick a '68 or newer so you have the collapsible steering column pointed at your chest and not the spear. Those old Ford 3-speeds were proper manual-shifts even if your left leg needed help with the clutch pedal in traffic.

Don't walk away from Alfa completely just yet.

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/

It's just like with the old British sports cars. Everything which made an Alfa a bad experience can be upgraded and improved. And the Centerline folks are good to deal with, from my short term experience with buying Milano parts from them.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I saw one of the early 1G MDX's in good condition with the dealer-installed running boards and the stick-on fender flares. It's old enough now that you don't see them every day. I must admit my mid-life crisis car might end up being multiple cars as in buying and selling interesting old Acuras. I'm also temped by a current manual-shift Fit Sport with the HFP kit so I'm not aiming very high. I'm not sure it's a true mid-life crisis though if I can take care of it with some cash from my walking-around money slush fund.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 19:50
It's a midlife crisis, so you're probably supposed to buy it and not worry about paying for it.

But a late-midlife crisis, probably means you should be able to pay for it.

The Datsun 2000 convertible is a beauty. I'd go for that. I looked it up and had never seen one before. I like it.

Cost and maintenance being a factor then something from Honda and Acura. I'm just not sure it should be something new. Maybe an NSX. If you say "midlife crisis" while showing a neighbor an NSX, then they'll be convinced. If you show them a Civic, then they may just think "crisis".

Friends in their sixties bought a Miata convertible and convinced me that's a brilliant third car.

How about a 1988 GMC double cab pick up? Jeep Wagoneer? 80's Toyota Land Cruiser. There's lots of crisis in those.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 20:18
JimmyEats wrote:
It's a midlife crisis, so you're probably supposed to buy it and not worry about paying for it.

But a late-midlife crisis, probably means you should be able to pay for it.

The Datsun 2000 convertible is a beauty. I'd go for that. I looked it up and had never seen one before. I like it.

Cost and maintenance being a factor then something from Honda and Acura. I'm just not sure it should be something new. Maybe an NSX. If you say "midlife crisis" while showing a neighbor an NSX, then they'll be convinced. If you show them a Civic, then they may just think "crisis".

Friends in their sixties bought a Miata convertible and convinced me that's a brilliant third car.

How about a 1988 GMC double cab pick up? Jeep Wagoneer? 80's Toyota Land Cruiser. There's lots of crisis in those.

The 2000 is gorgeous. The 1600 is actually somewhat better looking but the 2000 has more power. When I got the Alfa, I was also thinking into getting either a 2002tii or a 2000. I guess I didn't go with the Datsun because I already had the 510. Oh well, big mistake there.

The Datsun 410 sedan is also awesome. It actually looks like the Alfa GTV but it is underpowered (I think it only had a 1300, the more classic looking 510 had a 1600 but it could be built up considerably).

I'm in the middle of a negotiation for a Linn Lingo, after that I'll have to do the "negotiation" to pay the IRS.... perhaps in the fall I can start the "negotiation" to get the car.

Assuming our AC units don't croak.

And, honestly, I keep monitoring the supply of Pass Aleph 2's on the Internet. I got a part cash allowance for that.

Note: the concept of a cash "allowance" doesn't mean I can't afford it. I can afford a lot of stuff, thank God. It actually means the cash figure up to which my wife won't question the purchase. If I go above it, she will question. I go much above it, she'll question my sanity and remind me about retirement and stuff like that. Relations may be strained for a day or so.

Now, I can usually handle the "big purchase" events by not doing it often (lose battles, but win the war) and grabbing a cigar and a very large glass of red wine and stepping outdoors for a while.

In the long term, I get away with it. But I'd rather "negotiate" a priori so there's no hassles.

But, with a car, being that she handles the insurance, DMV, paying the bills, etc.. it might mean she gives up and gives the work back to me. A car is not worth the hassle of having to deal with all of that. It's gonna be a BIG negotiation on that one. Like the espresso machine, where I will make her a nice capuccino in the morning, I have to ensure that she gets something out the deal. "But honey, you said you missed not having a car with a manual transmission!"

NoteII: For her birthday and Xmas, I will buy her nice clothes (I know her size and taste). I always make a point of getting a gift receipt. When she gets the stuff, she complains that she doesn't need it, but for all this time, she's only returned ONE item... actually she exchanged it.

Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 20:50
I wonder what car the 97-year-old Prince Philip buys next,
after he flipped his Range Rover?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25937712/queen-elizabeth-husband-crashes-land-rover/

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 20:54
Jovian8 wrote:
I wonder what car the 97-year-old Prince Philip buys next,
after he flipped his Range Rover?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25937712/queen-elizabeth-husband-crashes-land-rover/

After my Mom totaled 2 cars, she now has an electric golf cart, and no drivers license.
:)

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 11:35
If a mid-life crisis is about recapturing youth - like the cars I remember interacting with most during my teen years were my own white manual Neon coupe, my dads full-size manual F150, my friend had an old E30 BMW coupe with zero room in the back - and my other friend had a Civic Hatch with room for 5 in the back.

I suppose the new white manual coupe to get would be bone stock 230i. The goal is to have as few features as possible if I'm really trying to recapture what I used to drive. If I'm getting a used white coupe then the obvious choice is a 2011 SI coupe. Though a used 2 series makes some sense I guess. The base manual 230 is pretty rare too - which appeals to me.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 12:23
My midlife crises were about recapturing youth and getting away from my minivan and sedan. In my youth, my two memorable cars were my 1968 Opel GT (which my father crashed for me while I was away at school), and my significantly modified Karmann Ghia convertible.

For work I drove a pickup truck all the damned time, so I have NO INTEREST in Pickups or Jeeps or any of that shit.

What I wanted in 2002 was a high-performance convertible. Couldn't afford anything new, and could not find anything I could afford used that I was sure would not ruin me with upkeep (I am looking at you, BMW, Audi and Porshe). Plus I still had two teenagers and two dogs, so it had to be somewhat practical.

The first Midlife crisis car ended up being a 2003 RSX type-S, which I bought new because I could not afford a new S2000. It was great. it was like a spiritual successor to the Opel GT. My daughter inherited it and it was in the family past 200k miles (she has a Civic SI now).

My second midlife crisis car was in 2010 when I went back and bought the S2000 I always wanted (2002 used with 40k miles on it). At that point the kids were off to college, the financial crisis had decimated the market for toy cars, but my business had picked up enough that I could spring for the $9,000 I bought it for.

Still have it. Daily driver (but I work from home so I don't drive every day). Has 160,000 miles on it and you would have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands at this point. It's like a spiritual successor to the Karmann Ghia convertible, but on steroids and with heat that works an A/C.

Interesting thing is that since I bought the S2000, I have not really lusted after any cars. I have thought about what I would replace it with if something happened to it (blown engine, accident, etc.) So have a list of things that I would look at if suddenly I were without it. But I have not had the urge to trade it for anything else.

our other car is an Acura TSX Sport Wagon, and I have occasionally felt the urge to get something to replace that. The Civic Type R leaps immediately to mind. But there's no way I would consider replacing the S2000 with a CTR.

tennis32828
Profile for tennis32828
Re: Cars for a mid life crisis    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 14:28
TonyEX wrote:

The unlucky ones get a divorce, get a younger trophy wife and move to a rented two bedroom downstairs condo.

The lucky ones, keep the wife and the garage and get a car.

Sounds like I rather be the unlucky one in your scenario lol

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0