[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Accord back in the family

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
deanh
Profile for deanh
Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 06:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I have been a fairly long-time member (over 10 years), but I do not post often. However, I follow the site almost daily. I have owned multiple Accords in the past (96, 99, 06) and now a 2018. I took a brief break from Honda after my 2014 Pilot Touring. Unfortunately, I only kept that car a year as the VCM system was an utter disaster for me (vibration, chirping, etc). My current vehicle is a Toyota Sienna (no VCM :)), but my wife needed a new car. We both fell in love with the Accord. We bought a 1.5 EXL in radiant red and have owned it about a month. The purchase process was easy and we saved 4k off MSRP, which seemed like a decent price. We love the car! So far, we are getting 35MPG overall with roughly 70% highway miles. I have been watching the oil dilution issue carefully. We live in Indiana, and even with the cold weather, I am not seeing an issue there so far. Thus, I am hoping that is just on the CR-V as they say :). She came from a Nissan Rogue; thus, she likes the CVT. I find it to be very smooth, but a little slow on response in initial take off. It is perfect for our needs overall. The interior space is what sold us. We have two child seats, and the rear seat swallows them up easily. It is shocking how much room exists back there. We did not need another SUV since we have the Van. Thus, we really love having a car.
Pros:
- the ride is great
- the car is so easy to drive - it is smooth and handles very well
- the in-car electronics have worked well for us. The infotainment system has been flawless, and we did kill a few of the honda sensing features (I am not a fan of LKAS).
- the adaptive cruise is handy but a bit over-sensitive on the braking.
- the interior space is simply amazing, and the storage bin are typical Honda awesomeness
- trunk is a good size
interior noise is low (especially compared to my previous 06 accord)
- thus far, no rattles and feels solid

Cons:
- my only real complaint is tied purely to body build quality. The rear doors when shut are not flush with the body. In addition, the front windshield defrost vent is slightly warped. This is a known issue (several on the lot have it) and Honda dealer said they were told not to replace the part as it would have the same issue. Apparently, the design of the vent is poor? I am going to address the door alignment at my first service, but I am not sure they will be able to do anything.
- the CVT is a little sluggish at initial acceleration, but my wife does not notice nor care. Thus, is it really a con :)

In summary, this is truly the best Accord I have ever owned, and quite frankly, it is the best sedan. We drove Camrys, Fusions, Malibus, and Altimas - none came even close really. There were some things better on others, but the overall package of the Accord is unbeatable. It is sad to see so many people moving to small SUVs instead. We drove the CR-V as well. I'd take the Accord over it everyday even with two kids.

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 10:59
Thanks for sharing your impressions and review.

We have a similar combo of cars. '17 EX-L Accord Hybrid and a '12 Sienna XLE

I have thought about getting a CR-V next time, but since we'll likely replace the minivan with a Pilot, I really don't want two SUV's. Therefore, I think I'll keep my Accord Hybrid for a long, long time.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 11:12
I bought my EXL back in August, your thoughts are very similar to mine, even the gas mileage is very close too.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:50
JimmyEats wrote:
Thanks for sharing your impressions and review.

We have a similar combo of cars. '17 EX-L Accord Hybrid and a '12 Sienna XLE

I have thought about getting a CR-V next time, but since we'll likely replace the minivan with a Pilot, I really don't want two SUV's. Therefore, I think I'll keep my Accord Hybrid for a long, long time.

(1) How big is the gas tank in the '17 iMMD Accord?
(2) What kind of range do you get per tank.
(3) They did move the battery vent from the sides of the rear seat to the top rear shelf?

In our '14 and '15 iMMD Accords I was able to squeeze just over 15 gallons and 600 mlles. I believe Andrew got as much as 18 gallons and 1000 miles!

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:57
TonyEX wrote:
I believe Andrew got as much as 18 gallons and 1000 miles!

Kids, don't try this at the gas station!
:)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 16:17
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

True.

I believe Andrew doesn't smoke and buys his tomatoes at the supermarket.

I don't think you could pull off that stunt in California. We got those vapor recirculation shrouds on our gas pumps. So topping it off is hard to do (hint: you are not suppose to do it). Overfilling the tank to the brim takes determination and a somewhat faulty pump.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 17:22
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

True.

I don't think you could pull off that stunt in California. We got those vapor recirculation shrouds on our gas pumps. So topping it off is hard to do (hint: you are not suppose to do it). Overfilling the tank to the brim takes determination and a somewhat faulty pump.

I also seem to remember seeing a short-lived YouTube featuring Andrew taking a whiff of the exhaust from his CNG Civic, before Honda put the Kibosh on it

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 18:07
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

True.

I also seem to remember seeing a short-lived YouTube featuring Andrew taking a whiff of the exhaust from his CNG Civic, before Honda put the Kibosh on it

Funny... maybe I ought to make a video of my drinking the exhaust from the Clarity. ;-)

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 18:42
I would like to see that. Remember to set the parking break.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 19:30
NealX wrote:
I would like to see that. Remember to set the parking break.

I promise! ;-)

Actually, I wonder if the exhaust is hot at all. I just never bothered to check it. At least, unlike the Mirai, you can follow a Clarity FCEV and not have water drops "peed" all over your windshield. I guess Honda put in some kind of a catch in the exhaust.

Oh, another thing. The Clarity is in many ways a lawyered up PITA. You can't start it, you can't put it in gear, etc... unless the seat belts are on, the doors are closed, the moon and the planets are aligned, etc...

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-17-2019 18:04
Answers
1. 15.8 gallons and I regularly put an extra two gallons in after the full click. I've filled to the gas cap before road trips.
2. I think I get over 600 miles on a tank, but I don't use the odometer to confirm that.
Highway mpg is usually 38 mpg at 80 mph.
3. The battery vent is only on one side of the seat, not both sides. (Not on the top shelf.) My oldest of 3 is almost finished with his carseat and he'll sit on the side without the vent, so he can use a pillow on road trips.

3 carseats fit easily in the back, but then they fit in my '06 Civic sedan too. My kids like the legroom of the Accord, so they can stand in front of the carseat, then climb into the seat.

The tank range and comfort of the midsize Accord are some of the best features of the car. Acceleration is great, 6.7 seconds 0-60 says MotorTrend. Room for a family of 5 and better mpg than my Civic.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 15:48
JimmyEats wrote:
Answers
1. 15.8 gallons and I regularly put an extra two gallons in after the full click. I've filled to the gas cap before road trips.
2. I think I get over 600 miles on a tank, but I don't use the odometer to confirm that.
Highway mpg is usually 38 mpg at 80 mph.
3. The battery vent is only on one side of the seat, not both sides. (Not on the top shelf.) My oldest of 3 is almost finished with his carseat and he'll sit on the side without the vent, so he can use a pillow on road trips.

3 carseats fit easily in the back, but then they fit in my '06 Civic sedan too. My kids like the legroom of the Accord, so they can stand in front of the carseat, then climb into the seat.

The tank range and comfort of the midsize Accord are some of the best features of the car. Acceleration is great, 6.7 seconds 0-60 says MotorTrend. Room for a family of 5 and better mpg than my Civic.

Oh yeah! The '17 was like our '14 and '15.

The new one, the '18 and on changed those things. It moved the vent to the top but it also got a much smaller gas tank.. claimed to be 12.8 gallons ( sucks )... so I figure we might be able to fill it up to 15 gallons maximum... so that's going to be 475 miles, or so, range doing 80 mph.

I mean, still good, but our Acura TSX Sport Wagons did better than that.

Yeah, the new battery is not under the floor (smaller gas tank made room) so you got the full Accord trunk and still preserve the cavernous back seat.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2019 14:14
Doesn't the 1.5T CVT have a "Sport" mode like the Civic?

It does make a difference.

My style with the Coupe Cake ( '16 Civic Coupe Touring ) is to use a bit of sport off the line, switch to normal afterwards and use Sport again when I want to slow down (a bit of engine braking) a little.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2019 16:13
EXL doesn't have a sports mode.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2019 17:03
MSZ wrote:

This shows that all 1.5T Accord have "sport mode"

https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan#

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2019 17:48
TonyEX wrote:
MSZ wrote:

TonyEX, the spec sheet does not have the EXL indicated with sport mode.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/M3LohJkhYylt1XVb/www.honda.ca

deanh
Profile for deanh
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2019 13:36
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
MSZ wrote:

TonyEX, the spec sheet does not have the EXL indicated with sport mode.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/M3LohJkhYylt1XVb/www.honda.ca

Our 2018 ex-l has a sport mode on the cvt. It is a gear labeled ‘S’. It does in fact help off the line throttle response; however, it makes the engine drone more as the cvt mimics a lower gear longer. It is nothing more than a software enhancement - not a true sport mode like in the 2.0.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2019 18:19
TonyEX wrote:
MSZ wrote:

I own a 1.5T EXL, it doesn't have a sport mode. The Sport trim I test drove at the dealership does I deed have one.

deanh
Profile for deanh
Re: Accord back in the family    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2019 08:01
MSZ wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
MSZ wrote:

I own a 1.5T EXL, it doesn't have a sport mode. The Sport trim I test drove at the dealership does I deed have one.

So I checked the owners manual for mine after my last post. The “S” gear is not really called sport as I assumed. It is called “Drive S.” Anyway, it’s as close to a sport mode as the 1.5 has as it enhances acceleration and increases engine braking (from the manual). So the 1.5 cvt has no true sport mode but dare I say a sport enhances drive :).

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0