[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TLX > > Re: Non-Type S ?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Pauly123
Profile for Pauly123
Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-14-2019 15:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Can anyone speculate on how the 2020 Model lineup will go between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl?

I would expect a 4 cyl to most likely be a turbo ...

But what about the V-6 non type S? Do you think that will just be a detuned version of the same 6 cyl motor they'll use in the Type S?

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-14-2019 16:08
I actually don't think there will be a 3.0T model that isn't a Type-S.

The Mercedes C-Class goes: C300, C300 4MATIC, AMG C43.

The BMW 3 series goes: 330, 330xi, M340.

The A4 goes: 2.0T, 2.0T Quattro, S4.

I don't think I've got that wrong.

So a Type-S only 3.0t TLX makes sense given that every other major turbo-6 "competitor" has the "sport" branding (AMG, M, S).

So it'd be: 2.0t, 2.0t SHAWD, Type-S.

Some of the others don't I guess but those are the big boys and that's how they do things.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-14-2019 17:04
Are some here operating with the notion that there's an all-new, (FMC) TLX arriving next fall?

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-14-2019 22:49
Pauly123 wrote:
Can anyone speculate on how the 2020 Model lineup will go between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl?

But what about the V-6 non type S? Do you think that will just be a detuned version of the same 6 cyl motor they'll use in the Type S?

- 2.0t/10AT FWD
- 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 2.0t/10?? Hybrid FWD
- 3.0t/10AT SH-AWD *Type-S

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 01:41
I rather have a 2.0 or 3.0 without any T. Forget turbos.. If u want more power and efficiency, replace T with H for Hybrid using motor between engine and trans. No SHAWD complicated heavy ass over achiever. H is for energy recovery and e mode for stop and go driving.

After spending drive time in a pure E powered car, I come away compelled that every gas powered car should have a mild hybrid for braking and stop and go traffic. It is senseless to have the engine idling at stop light just to power accessories and it is senseless to use your brakes only to throw away all that kinetic energy. And it is senseless to turn on the engine to go to your neighbors house, local school which is less than a mile or 2 away because your engine never warms up and cold engine shutdowns will damage your engine over time by rinsing your piston rings with fuel leaving your engine starving of oil when you fire it up. Ask.me how I know. Go start your engine, back it out of your garage for your manual wash and then shut it down immediately. Tell me what your engines sounds like the next morning when you start it up.

Auto start stop sucks because it is a piss poor strategy that any driver can do manually short of a model T with hand crank starter in front of the engine. Besides, it limits starter life and you will feel silly when the system shuts down and fire back up 3 seconds later when you do a short stop.

We don't need a full on plug in hybrid nor do we want you to subtract a couple cylinders just because it is a hybrid. We want the hybrid to supplement with 40 to 50 extra horsepower and regen during braking, power us for stop and go and silent get aways. I will pay more for a Hybrid over a turbo even if it has less power than a turbo because efficiency and power can go hand in hand with the extra bonus that with the regen, your brake pads could last 100k miles and your mpg will be better than a Turbo. The e motor should be tuned for performance with torque fill on that eager to rev naturally aspirated Honda engine which makes the melodies we dearly miss.

And Don't even think about a CVT. A CVT is much akin to having oversized models gracing the cover of SI swim suit edition. It never feels right and you get the feeling that they only do that to be politically correct, leaving much more to be desired.

Make it a performance hybrid, don't drop cylinder count and bring back screaming NA engines. Honda, you already have the technology designed and it resides in the driven axle of the NSX and RLX AWD edition. But ditch the other 2 E motors for they can quickly add complexity, cost and weight.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 03:55
Civicb18 wrote:
Pauly123 wrote:

- 2.0t/10AT FWD
- 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 2.0t/10?? Hybrid FWD

Probably this.

Would be wicked awesome if the Type-S has a manual option, but probably nobody in its intended audience drive a stick anymore. The media probably going to rave about it if it has manual option, but again... Business is about making money, and they already have a loss leader in the form of NSX.

You know what would be fun, if alongside TLX Type-S, Acura also announced NSX Type-S, which is essentially the road going version of the NSX GT3. That will shake the automotive world and shows that the NSX is here to stay and relevant, just like the gajillion versions of 911.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 06:47
Midi_Amp wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
Pauly123 wrote:

- 2.0t/10AT FWD
- 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 2.0t/10?? Hybrid FWD

Probably this.

Would be wicked awesome if the Type-S has a manual option, but probably nobody in its intended audience drive a stick anymore. The media probably going to rave about it if it has manual option, but again... Business is about making money, and they already have a loss leader in the form of NSX.

You know what would be fun, if alongside TLX Type-S, Acura also announced NSX Type-S, which is essentially the road going version of the NSX GT3. That will shake the automotive world and shows that the NSX is here to stay and relevant, just like the gajillion versions of 911.

That would be fun and shake the automotive world...but I can see Acura being Acura...they create a buzz, which they deserve, but then the models are nowhere to be found for months or even years and the automotive press has moved on to the next shiny thing. I hope they're ready for the opportunity they have.

Pauly123
Profile for Pauly123
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 08:35
Thanks guys.

Any speculation on where the 2.0t will come in as far as HP/Torque? Do you think this will be the Accord 2.0T motor with maybe a little more power? That's 252/273?

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 09:24
NealX wrote:
Are some here operating with the notion that there's an all-new, (FMC) TLX arriving next fall?

I would have thought the MDX was first in line because it’s a full year older. But the rumors seem to indicate something coming this year and it’s not clear when 3.0t mass production is going to be able to start.

The TLX can probably launch without a 3.0T and/or have the Type-S be a smallish volume while the MDX almost certainly has to launch with it (and in fact the 3.0t might be the only engine, we don’t know what they’re gonna do) - but clearly the 3.0t is going to be much bigger volumes in the MDX than in the TLX.

So maybe things got flipped and Acura will launch the 3.0t in the TLX first with small volumes so they can make sure there are no major problems before larger scale MDX production kicks in...?

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-15-2019 10:16
Fitdad wrote:
NealX wrote:

I would have thought the MDX was first in line because it’s a full year older. But the rumors seem to indicate something coming this year and it’s not clear when 3.0t mass production is going to be able to start.

The TLX can probably launch without a 3.0T and/or have the Type-S be a smallish volume while the MDX almost certainly has to launch with it (and in fact the 3.0t might be the only engine, we don’t know what they’re gonna do) - but clearly the 3.0t is going to be much bigger volumes in the MDX than in the TLX.

So maybe things got flipped and Acura will launch the 3.0t in the TLX first with small volumes so they can make sure there are no major problems before larger scale MDX production kicks in...?

Rolled mention a few weeks ago they just filed permits to expand the plant in OH where the 3.0T will be built, so my guess is TLX will come with 2.0T only until atleast 2020 (MY 2021) and hopefully MDX does not get the 2.0T, but all indications suggest it will which lower tim models will take a hit in performance with SHAWD.
On a side note the Audi and Mercedes are doing the same thing while their more potent engines come on line, but Acura cannot and should not squander any chance at media buzz as they need it, so they need to calculate these engine releases, no rush jobs in vein of quality but they need to come fast.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 09:21
They need to launch the 3.0T at the same time in order to garner buzz (even if they only have limited production of this model). To do otherwise is insane.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 10:41
99SI wrote:
They need to launch the 3.0T at the same time in order to garner buzz (even if they only have limited production of this model). To do otherwise is insane.

Absolutely, 100%! See my post above! Unfortunately for them and their fans, H/A has often been 'insane' in this regard. Do the launch right, have all trims and powertrains ready even if in limited availability!

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 11:15
gofast182 wrote:
99SI wrote:

Absolutely, 100%! See my post above! Unfortunately for them and their fans, H/A has often been 'insane' in this regard. Do the launch right, have all trims and powertrains ready even if in limited availability!

They just need Type-S models ready for the media launch I think now that we know they’re coming. They can put them on sale 3-6 months later if that’s the scheduling for 3.0t mass production. The biggest media hit for these brands is probably when the embargo drops and coverage is simultaneously everywhere. So the “first drive” articles probably need to include Type-S impressions. But delaying the 2.0t launch makes no sense either if that version of the car is ready.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 15:01
Fitdad wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
99SI wrote:

They just need Type-S models ready for the media launch I think now that we know they’re coming. They can put them on sale 3-6 months later if that’s the scheduling for 3.0t mass production. The biggest media hit for these brands is probably when the embargo drops and coverage is simultaneously everywhere. So the “first drive” articles probably need to include Type-S impressions. But delaying the 2.0t launch makes no sense either if that version of the car is ready.

Even though it's a small percentage, I guarantee you that a well-received Type-S will sell some 2.0Ts but it doesn't work the other way around. If the difference in consumer availability between the two is any more than 3 months, yes, I think they should delay. I want them to succeed.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 19:25
Pauly123 wrote:
Thanks guys.

Any speculation on where the 2.0t will come in as far as HP/Torque? Do you think this will be the Accord 2.0T motor with maybe a little more power? That's 252/273?

Should be pretty close or identical to the RDX.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2019 19:40
2.0T with iMMC and eSH-AWD.

Hmm... big honking motors with TPUs front and back to create eSH-AWD. Put a hook up so above 80 mph the ICE hooks to the front.

500 ft-lbs off the line, 320 bhp above 80 mph. Sure, it will be mostly FWD above 100 mph.

I think I'm describing the new RoLeX? Specially if they make an FCEV version of it.

Either way, keep the batteries small. This should not be a BEV.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-19-2019 09:48
Considering the TLX will most certainly be more aerodynamic than the RDX and undoubtedly lighter, if the 2.0T from the RDX is used, especially in the base model, straight-line performance is not going to be an issue.

Seems to me that there would be sufficient interest in that base TLX and enough performance in base trim to produce a positive reaction from the automotive press.

As such, launching a 3.0L turbo Type S several months later makes sense. You get the press attention with the launch of the plain old 2.0L T TLX and later on more press attention for the performance variant. Pretty much standard procedure among automakers.

If the base TLX is not a strong performer in its own right, it doesn’t matter in the end how impressive the Type S is. That said, there is a strong case to be made for offering the performance version to promote the brand. Basically, the reasoning is, you need the Type S boost more after initial interest in a redesign has somewhat diminished. It’s a choice between launching a new model with a bang, so to speak, or prolonging interest by staggering the launching of the base model and the performance variant.

Still, if the TLX base version is a mediocre performer, the model will ultimately fail.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-19-2019 10:50
gofast182 wrote:
Fitdad wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
99SI wrote:

Even though it's a small percentage, I guarantee you that a well-received Type-S will sell some 2.0Ts but it doesn't work the other way around. If the difference in consumer availability between the two is any more than 3 months, yes, I think they should delay. I want them to succeed.

Acura needs sales. Launching the FMC 2.0t TLX by itself will almost certainly see a significant sales bump. How many sales will they lose in 2019 by delaying the launch? How many sales will they gain overall by launching the 2.0t and 3.0t together?

Look at the 2018 sales numbers for the TLX from June-October. 2290, 2046, 1917, 2064, 2263 = 10,580.

The same period in 2015 (When the TLX was still pretty much brand new and TLX sales were at their strongest) was: 3986, 3530, 4353, 4753, 5777 = 22,399.

Let us assume that the plan was to launch the 2.0t TLX in June of 2019 with the Type-S TLX coming in, say, November or December. If they delay the whole launch to October or November I'm betting TLX sales will drop even further over the June-October period. And maybe sales won't reach their 2015 heights - but I feel safe in saying that they are almost certainly leaving 7,000-9,000 sales on the table over that five month period if they delay the launch.

Will they make that difference up? Actually the question is: HOW do they make that difference up? 2019 sales and financials only care about 2019. Dealers and sales people need to make their numbers and put money in the bank those five months. What good does it do Acura to wait to sell more cars and make more money?

Sure they will "lose" some buyers because the 3.0t isn't ready at launch and their leases end and they go another direction - but that is happening constantly. Hundreds of thousands of leases end every month.

I could also see some within Acura saying that they should launch the Type-S with a standalone event. The key for Acura is to manage expectations - that's why I think just having a Type-S available to drive at the media launch of the FMC makes sense. Even if it's just like...you get one lap in the Type-S. Just to get the word out that the 3.0t is awesome and let people know that it is real and it is coming.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-19-2019 12:13
Acura can again really screw this one up if they are not careful, since it is the only sedan they have that has okay sales it is extra critical.

The TL has always been a 6 cylinder sedan, buyers expect it to either have a 6 cylinder standard or have a affordably priced 6 cylinder option. Its closest competitor, the Lexus ES still has a nice 6 cylinder and sells like hotcakes even without AWD, nobody is asking for the TLX to be a majority 4 cylinder model with a expensive 6 cylinder option, if they do that then they are going to have a big problem after a few months of good launch sales.

TLX 4 cylinder starts around $33K, 6 cylinder starts at $36K, 6 cylinder AWD $38K, and one of the more popular options the 6 cylinder AWD with tech package at $42K. I see more 6 cylinder TLX's on the road then 4 cylinders, my dad got 2 6 cylinders, had zero interest in a 4 cylinder. The one I hardly see on the road is the Advance/A spec models because they are priced too high for what people want to pay for a TLX even though they have options that should be standard in lower priced models like heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, cooled seats.

Having a relatively affordable 6 cylinder option for the TLX is a major selling point and reason they get decent sales from the TLX, if they screw that up they are going to lose a lot of sales.

They need to offer a 6 cylinder from the get go and they need to give buyers a 6 cylinder AWD option that is under 40K, whether that is still offering the J series well under 40K or pricing the Type S 6 cylinder just a little higher then what the 6 cylinder is priced at . They also can not raise the price much at all on a 6 cylinder awd tech package, that is a very popular option from what I have seen and heard. If they price the 6 cylinder like they price the Advance/A spec or higher, very few people are going to buy it no matter how it performs. It is not going to dominate reviews based on another FWD family sedan platform.

TL/TLX buyers are going to be turned off if all they can get now is a 4cyl for the prices they were used to paying for a nice 6 cylinder and a 6 cylinder is a really pricey rare option, sales and perception is really going to suffer. We have already seen the performance of the 4cyl turbo in the Accord and RDX and it is nothing special, it is s step down from the 6 cylinders. Acura does not have the image or prestige to price a 6 cylinder at 45K+ to start, the competitors do, it will be another blunder for Honda/Acura if they do it just like the RLX and ILX.

technica
Profile for technica
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-19-2019 19:22
You guys think we will see a DOHC V6 or will the SOHC continue?
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-19-2019 20:57
lexusgs wrote:
Acura can again really screw this one up if they are not careful, since it is the only sedan they have that has okay sales it is extra critical.

The TL has always been a 6 cylinder sedan, buyers expect it to either have a 6 cylinder standard or have a affordably priced 6 cylinder option. Its closest competitor, the Lexus ES still has a nice 6 cylinder and sells like hotcakes even without AWD, nobody is asking for the TLX to be a majority 4 cylinder model with a expensive 6 cylinder option, if they do that then they are going to have a big problem after a few months of good launch sales.

TLX 4 cylinder starts around $33K, 6 cylinder starts at $36K, 6 cylinder AWD $38K, and one of the more popular options the 6 cylinder AWD with tech package at $42K. I see more 6 cylinder TLX's on the road then 4 cylinders, my dad got 2 6 cylinders, had zero interest in a 4 cylinder. The one I hardly see on the road is the Advance/A spec models because they are priced too high for what people want to pay for a TLX even though they have options that should be standard in lower priced models like heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, cooled seats.

Having a relatively affordable 6 cylinder option for the TLX is a major selling point and reason they get decent sales from the TLX, if they screw that up they are going to lose a lot of sales.

They need to offer a 6 cylinder from the get go and they need to give buyers a 6 cylinder AWD option that is under 40K, whether that is still offering the J series well under 40K or pricing the Type S 6 cylinder just a little higher then what the 6 cylinder is priced at . They also can not raise the price much at all on a 6 cylinder awd tech package, that is a very popular option from what I have seen and heard. If they price the 6 cylinder like they price the Advance/A spec or higher, very few people are going to buy it no matter how it performs. It is not going to dominate reviews based on another FWD family sedan platform.

TL/TLX buyers are going to be turned off if all they can get now is a 4cyl for the prices they were used to paying for a nice 6 cylinder and a 6 cylinder is a really pricey rare option, sales and perception is really going to suffer. We have already seen the performance of the 4cyl turbo in the Accord and RDX and it is nothing special, it is s step down from the 6 cylinders. Acura does not have the image or prestige to price a 6 cylinder at 45K+ to start, the competitors do, it will be another blunder for Honda/Acura if they do it just like the RLX and ILX.

In the Boston area I see atleast 5 Aspec TLX a week, just seen a black one parked today even dealers have them as loaners their not unicorns around here. I am actually starting to see the MDX Aspec now as well, someone in my neighborhood has a nice shiny red MDX Aspec. We are asking Acura to produce nicer things, we cant expect them to not charge more for it. In the end of day for them to hold on pricing something would have to give. What I have a problem is is cheapened interiors, the MMC TLX and RLX are a much better effort from their original execution but they still need to raise their standards a couple of notches on the next generation.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 12:47
Mikeydred wrote:
lexusgs wrote:

In the Boston area I see atleast 5 Aspec TLX a week, just seen a black one parked today even dealers have them as loaners their not unicorns around here. I am actually starting to see the MDX Aspec now as well, someone in my neighborhood has a nice shiny red MDX Aspec. We are asking Acura to produce nicer things, we cant expect them to not charge more for it. In the end of day for them to hold on pricing something would have to give. What I have a problem is is cheapened interiors, the MMC TLX and RLX are a much better effort from their original execution but they still need to raise their standards a couple of notches on the next generation.

Just because you see some A specs in your area does not mean they are selling. Our dealership and ones in bordering states are overstocked with them because they are not selling, dealer flat out said they are priced too high and don't move like the other ones. Both times they offered my dad deals on them when he was looking, some almost too good to pass up but he was still able to get a Tech for a lower price and did not feel the Advance or A spec were worth the extra money. I travel a lot, often to the midwest and east coast and rarely see them.

Putting a 6 cylinder turbo in the same basic car does not warrant a big jump in price or something TLX/Acura buyers are going to want to spend much more money on. Nobody considers the TLX a performance sedan or the type of sedan to spend a lot of money on, they never had a really high performance version of it like a RS4, IS-F, M4, AMG. Buyers want a affordable 6 cylinder option more then the want the TLX to go all 4 cylinder aside from a expensive 6 cylinder version they are trying to sell as something really special and worth a big price when it isn't.

Look what happened with how they priced the RLX and RLX hybrid, way too much for what it offers and the RLX hybrid is pretty quick, at least 0-60. Look at the NSX, great car but with the options people want it gets way too high in price too quickly. A specs and Advances don't sell in big numbers, too expensive, MDX hybrid does not sell in big numbers compared to the regular version, priced way too high.

Smartest thing Acura could do if they the new 6 cylinder is a good one is to get it into as many buyers garages as possible which means being cautious and realistic with pricing, if it is totally replacing the J series, it simply can't carry a big premium over it because then you are just forcing customers into a inferior 4 cylinder they don't really want and giving them a excuse to go to a more upmarket brand if the prices are closer. The 6 cylinder TLX SHawd sells mainly on what a great deal it is compared to competitors 6 cylinder vehicles which I admit it is, take that away and buyers go elsewhere.

I agree the interior in the TLX is terrible, especially when it debuted. The MMC did help interior wise with the contrasting leather piping, more color combo's, better seats, better looking fake wood, some extra bits and the exterior enhancements were pretty good too but it still needs a lot of improvement. The fake wood is still embarrassing, fake silver painted metal trim is embarrassing too, overall design just does not cut it, still too much cost cutting. 2 screen is still awful, give us back physical button and switches. The new RDX is a improvement but the TLX and especially models above it still need something nicer.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 13:16
Another thing to throw into the conversation. Does Acura actually cut pricing on the TLX just as they did the ILX? ($2-3k) The discounting is so heavy it only makes sense. At the end of my lease on my '16 TLX I was heavily considering the accord but was actually able to end up in a better position by getting a '19 TLX Tech V6. Which BTW has totally shocked me in how much different of a car it feels like vs. the '16 model.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 16:59
lexusgs wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
lexusgs wrote:

Just because you see some A specs in your area does not mean they are selling. Our dealership and ones in bordering states are overstocked with them because they are not selling, dealer flat out said they are priced too high and don't move like the other ones. Both times they offered my dad deals on them when he was looking, some almost too good to pass up but he was still able to get a Tech for a lower price and did not feel the Advance or A spec were worth the extra money. I travel a lot, often to the midwest and east coast and rarely see them.

Putting a 6 cylinder turbo in the same basic car does not warrant a big jump in price or something TLX/Acura buyers are going to want to spend much more money on. Nobody considers the TLX a performance sedan or the type of sedan to spend a lot of money on, they never had a really high performance version of it like a RS4, IS-F, M4, AMG. Buyers want a affordable 6 cylinder option more then the want the TLX to go all 4 cylinder aside from a expensive 6 cylinder version they are trying to sell as something really special and worth a big price when it isn't.

Look what happened with how they priced the RLX and RLX hybrid, way too much for what it offers and the RLX hybrid is pretty quick, at least 0-60. Look at the NSX, great car but with the options people want it gets way too high in price too quickly. A specs and Advances don't sell in big numbers, too expensive, MDX hybrid does not sell in big numbers compared to the regular version, priced way too high.

Smartest thing Acura could do if they the new 6 cylinder is a good one is to get it into as many buyers garages as possible which means being cautious and realistic with pricing, if it is totally replacing the J series, it simply can't carry a big premium over it because then you are just forcing customers into a inferior 4 cylinder they don't really want and giving them a excuse to go to a more upmarket brand if the prices are closer. The 6 cylinder TLX SHawd sells mainly on what a great deal it is compared to competitors 6 cylinder vehicles which I admit it is, take that away and buyers go elsewhere.

I agree the interior in the TLX is terrible, especially when it debuted. The MMC did help interior wise with the contrasting leather piping, more color combo's, better seats, better looking fake wood, some extra bits and the exterior enhancements were pretty good too but it still needs a lot of improvement. The fake wood is still embarrassing, fake silver painted metal trim is embarrassing too, overall design just does not cut it, still too much cost cutting. 2 screen is still awful, give us back physical button and switches. The new RDX is a improvement but the TLX and especially models above it still need something nicer.

That fact that I see them means they are selling some, whether or not they are incentivized the hell out of to move is a different story. Could it be because the basic package was flawed from the begining and they are trying to charge more for a downsized TL? TLX has had so many complaints from transmission issues to vibration issues that customers have just moved on. Not to mention its one boring ride (never tried ASpec) Acura execs themselves said the ASpec are generating traffic they bother bringing a 4 cylinder version, talk about overprced.
For years you have been sceaming Acura needs to go tier 1 bigger engines etc, these stuff you are asking for will come with price. We know RWD is out of the question, so all I ask for is decent proportions ( how they pull that off is a different story) best in class interiors and competitive performance and an excellent UI. If the next TLX brings the goods, I have no issues paying more for it. Just noticed the 19 S5 sportback shuffled around trims and managed to increase cost. I was on the fence about the S5 interior, the package shuffle maybe the deal breaker. If Acura can produce something around 50 -55k it will still undercut others in that perdormance range.
On a side note, atleast the 4 cyclinder will be a turbo around 270HP which will be class competitive this time as opposed 205 HP antiquated K series. The engines actually make sense and shouldnt be be a negative in next TLX!

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Non-Type S ?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2019 17:16
Mikeydred wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
lexusgs wrote:

That fact that I see them means they are selling some, whether or not they are incentivized the hell out of to move is a different story. Could it be because the basic package was flawed from the begining and they are trying to charge more for a downsized TL? TLX has had so many complaints from transmission issues to vibration issues that customers have just moved on. Not to mention its one boring ride (never tried ASpec) Acura execs themselves said the ASpec are generating traffic they bother bringing a 4 cylinder version, talk about overprced.
For years you have been sceaming Acura needs to go tier 1 bigger engines etc, these stuff you are asking for will come with price. We know RWD is out of the question, so all I ask for is decent proportions ( how they pull that off is a different story) best in class interiors and competitive performance and an excellent UI. If the next TLX brings the goods, I have no issues paying more for it. Just noticed the 19 S5 sportback shuffled around trims and managed to increase cost. I was on the fence about the S5 interior, the package shuffle maybe the deal breaker. If Acura can produce something around 50 -55k it will still undercut others in that perdormance range.
On a side note, atleast the 4 cyclinder will be a turbo around 270HP which will be class competitive this time as opposed 205 HP antiquated K series. The engines actually make sense and shouldnt be be a negative in next TLX!

Also going forward the real materials will be addressed. The RDX is already on right track as its interior is right there with everything in its class.
Regarding MDX Hybrid, I think the hybrids just arent marketed or due they have the capacity to build them, shit the Hybrid is not even the most most expense trim on MDX so its a actually price competitive but of course they ruin with with the non DI J30. We have the Advance +ENT and dealer didnt budge on pricing with accessories we were over 60k easily but when e were looking the MDX fit our needs. Most MDX is see are Tech and Advance, but its a competitive product so Acura can move them at that price.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0