[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2018 00:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just watched the following video from PRI and it looks like Hondata will be releasing Flashpro for the 2019 RDX soon?

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2019 16:38
I would not expect much more power from Hondata on this.
The Accord adds 25, but it is going from 87 octane to 91. The RDX is already at 91 and it has the same TD03 turbo. They just have to dial the boost back at higher RPM's because of detination
and a small turbo cavitates at these RPM levels. Also, I would not completely buy into their massive midrange torque gains. When you floor the car it down shits and spends all of its time above 4500 where the flashpro gives you minimal gains. TD03 must blow very little air. Im sure there will be hybrid turbos shortly or you can put the TD04 in from the type r

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2019 22:07
I spoke with Hondata today and the flash pro for the RDX will be out next week.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-23-2019 00:44
Oh sweet. Did they mention what the actual gains are?
None
Profile for None
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-23-2019 08:42
RAV wrote:
I would not expect much more power from Hondata on this.
The Accord adds 25, but it is going from 87 octane to 91. The RDX is already at 91 and it has the same TD03 turbo. They just have to dial the boost back at higher RPM's because of detination
and a small turbo cavitates at these RPM levels. Also, I would not completely buy into their massive midrange torque gains. When you floor the car it down shits and spends all of its time above 4500 where the flashpro gives you minimal gains. TD03 must blow very little air. Im sure there will be hybrid turbos shortly or you can put the TD04 in from the type r

"When you floor the car it down shits..."
LOL

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-23-2019 10:51
They said stage 1 only at first and it will be 25 hp and 25 torque.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2019 00:31
That's pretty decent. Any word on the drivability? As Jeff mentioned in another thread, it seems like torque is being limited in the lower gears for the SH-AWD model. Does the stage 1 tune "fix" this or it's something else that controls this?
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2019 00:34
By the way, I have Flashpro for a 2007 RDX. Can that be used on the 2019 one? If not i'm gonna sell it..lol.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2019 13:08
Hondarulez wrote:
By the way, I have Flashpro for a 2007 RDX. Can that be used on the 2019 one? If not i'm gonna sell it..lol.

Asked Hondata directly and confirmed the 2007 RDX Flashpro would work on the 2019 one...for those who are wondering!

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 11:28
I had a chace to update my flash pro software and there are stage one and stage two tunes for the Rdx..Not sure what the gains are for each tune yet.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2019 19:04
Oh damn flashed stage 2 and boy so much low end torque lol!! It gets up to speed fast.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2019 23:56
Hondata uploaded the RDX site now:
https://www.hondata.com/flashpro?product_id=215

This dyno is of a stock RDX with Stage 1 and Stage 2 performance tunes.

Stage 1 operates in all 4 dynamic modes and delivers a 10 hp increase everywhere.

Stage 2 is configured for Stage 1 performance in snow and comfort and Stage 2 performance in Sport and Sport + modes. Stage 2 delivers 36 lb-ft of mid range torque and 28 hp mid-range power for a much more exciting drive.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 06:53
I don't know much about engine tuning but that torque plot is lumpier than I would expect, seems they should've been able to correct some of that instead of amplify it.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 07:11
Yawn....The Stage 1 tune seems kinda pointless with only 10hp.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 08:02
gofast182 wrote:
I don't know much about engine tuning but that torque plot is lumpier than I would expect, seems they should've been able to correct some of that instead of amplify it.

I think there is some torque management going on, along with the transmission/AWD system doing some weird stuff. A FWD test vehicle would probably exhibit a cleaner pass.

SC

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 21:37
The mystery is solved why the RDX is so dissapointing 0-60 and acceleration in general. I spoke with Hondata and the above dyno is for a SHAWD RDX. As you can see it puts out 220 HP in stock from. The Accord with no tune put out 260 HP. The RDX should be 20 more HP not 40 less. They told me the SHAWD was reason for the power loss. All this complexity and clutches etc sure kills power. It is pathetic that Honda cannot design and awd system that does not kill so much power. Another example of a compromised transverse engine layout that has to use this complex system to try to make it handle like a proper real wheel drive car. To bad, Honda has so much potential but chooses not to use it.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 21:56
RAV wrote:
Another example of a compromised transverse engine layout that has to use this complex system to try to make it handle like a proper real wheel drive car. To bad, Honda has so much potential but chooses not to use it.

I think you'll find the transverse layout of the engine has NOTHING to do with needing to limit torque to the SH-AWD unit, after all the engine orientation is the same as on the Accord. The rear axle/diff is the reason for the torque control.........

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2019 22:05
I was not saying the transverse layout was the reason for the power loss. It has always been SHAWD. My point was because Honda uses a transverse layouts they have to use complex torque killing systems like SHAWD to make car handle properly.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2019 00:52
I'm not sure if sh awd is the culprit.

The TLX sh awd is faster than the fwd one for 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile ET, and loses 2mph in the trap speed as expected when there's a bit more drive train losses and extra weight.

Likewise, the MDX sh awd pulls some pretty decent performance figures based in its output and weight.

It seems like there's more than just the awd system that is making the Rdx slower than expected.

Granted the latest motor trend test shows 14.8@95mph for the Rdx awd. That trap speed matches the q5 2.0t.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2019 08:33
^ it's even more curious to me because I thought the version of SH-AWD in the RDX had the best torque capacity of any iteration so far (hence it's ability to use the rear more)?
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-30-2019 17:02
Yea...though IIRC, it's always been challenging to dyno SH-AWD cars. We also know that dynoing the 2.0T 10AT accord was not straight forward. So now with 2.0T, 10AT, and SH-AWD, I'm not sure what the dyno numbers really mean lol.

All I know is that the RDX AWD didn't do really well in initial performance tests by Car and Driver and Motor Trend. But the latest Motor Trend test shows significant improvement and more in line with what I'd expect.

For comparison, Motor Trend got the following figures for the Accord 2.0T 10AT (tend to be a bit slower than what C/D would get):

0-60mph: 5.8s
1/4 mile: 14.4@98mph
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/a4/2018/2018-audi-a4-ultra-premium-vs-2018-honda-accord-20t-touring-comparison-review/

And for RDX SH-AWD:

0-60mph: 6.4s
1/4 mile: 14.8@95mph
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/rdx/2019/2019-acura-rdx-a-spec-long-term-update-review/

Being 550lb heavier along with AWD losses, I thought those figures make sense.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2019 00:59
Hondarulez wrote:

And for RDX SH-AWD:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/rdx/2019/2019-acura-rdx-a-spec-long-term-update-review/

2019 RDX's acceleration appears a bit underwhelming when you compare it to the V6 RDX (Motor Trend sets it at 6.2 sec: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/rdx/2018/)

The 2.0T has more torque and and the 10 AT has many more gears, but the 2019 model doesn't get to 60 mph any faster. It is not really more fuel efficient either, so they didn't really tune it to save fuel at the expense of acceleration.

So the 2019 RDX has more torque, comparable HP, more gears, a more aggressive AWD system, comparable fuel economy, and still a bit slower than the previous generation. That is unexpected.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2019 02:31
Sasker wrote:
So the 2019 RDX has more torque, comparable HP, more gears, a more aggressive AWD system, comparable fuel economy, and still a bit slower than the previous generation. That is unexpected.

Yep, and Acura should explain why it is so?

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2019 12:47
sadlerau wrote:
Sasker wrote:

Yep, and Acura should explain why it is so?

Was anyone here talking to Acura?

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2019 14:52
Sasker wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:

And for RDX SH-AWD:

2019 RDX's acceleration appears a bit underwhelming when you compare it to the V6 RDX (Motor Trend sets it at 6.2 sec: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/rdx/2018/)

The 2.0T has more torque and and the 10 AT has many more gears, but the 2019 model doesn't get to 60 mph any faster. It is not really more fuel efficient either, so they didn't really tune it to save fuel at the expense of acceleration.

Gladly give up 0.2 seconds for way less weight over the nose. The previous generation RDX was a comparable pig with respect to handling and steering feel (of course the AWD system was marginal).

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2019 15:47
Isn't the k20c rdx heavier than the J35 version? While I'm sure the K20 engine is lighter I'm not sure it's a huge diff. The J series is incredibly light for a big v6, doesn't have the weight of a turbo or intercooler, is SOHC, etc.

SC

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2019 15:57
The weight balance got better by...I think 2 percent?

Yeah AWD went from 59/41 to 57/43 F/R.

The package overall is about 100 lbs heavier though.

That mostly works out to the front end weighing the same and the rear gaining the weight.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2019 19:25
notyper wrote:
Isn't the k20c rdx heavier than the J35 version? While I'm sure the K20 engine is lighter I'm not sure it's a huge diff. The J series is incredibly light for a big v6, doesn't have the weight of a turbo or intercooler, is SOHC, etc.

SC

Did some digging.
https://jalopnik.com/this-madman-is-stuffing-a-new-honda-civic-type-r-motor-1820092729
"...the engine weighs 176 pounds more than that factory motor..."

According to SS, a D-series weighs 309lbs.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/1306-honda-engine-drivetrain-weights/

So if the info is accurate, the K20C weight is close to a H-series motor at 485lbs.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-31-2019 19:27
J-Series weighs 550lbs
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2019 02:22
While the 2016 RDX tested by Motor Trend was quicker for 0-60mph, in the 1/4 mile it posted the same ET as 14.8s. And it loses out to the 2019 RDX for the trap speed as it managed 94mph, whereas the new one did 95mph.

Overall, I'd say they are as fast as each other. The 2G RDX has a bit more power, a bit less torque, and is a bit lighter. It also has an average joe AWD system that behaves like a 2WD system most of the time. The 2G RDX was also pretty quick in its class.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0