[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Toyota Supra
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Documentary - the true price of electric mobility
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Torque Capacity of 10 Speed Auto
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: RDX anecdote

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 18:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just started up a conversation with a neighbor who owns a RDX. He wants to love it but does not like it as much he thought he would. Electronics/infotainment crashes a lot, has a lot of bugs to work out. On a positive note, he did say the drive was good.

Whatís the consensus from owners here. I really want to like the true touch system, but it looks like itís still in its early stages of development. Looks like owners will be the focus group/test bed/guinea pig...

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 20:39
TurkMan71 wrote:
Just started up a conversation with a neighbor who owns a RDX. He wants to love it but does not like it as much he thought he would. Electronics/infotainment crashes a lot, has a lot of bugs to work out. On a positive note, he did say the drive was good.

Whatís the consensus from owners here. I really want to like the true touch system, but it looks like itís still in its early stages of development. Looks like owners will be the focus group/test bed/guinea pig...

I'm concerned with all these negative comments on the electronics in the RDX. You would think Acura would have learned their lesson after slipping to the bottom in initial quality ratings the last few years. A friend of mine who has never owned an Acura purchased an RDX because he was impressed with the drive and had a dead battery within 3 weeks. He believes it has something to do with the GPS because it was constantly rebooting itself and was being reviewed by dealer prior to the dead battery.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 22:44
So far so good, loving my Rdx! The infotainment system is easy to use and fast. Zero issue thus far since I got it in June.
nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 09:19
12/12/18 Over the air system update for RDX

2019_RDX_System_Updates_20181212
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/20...s_20181212.PDF
http://owners.acura.com/vehicles/information/2019/RDX/features/system-updates/2

Software Version D.1.0.7
BOT10717
2019 RDX: Software Update Display Audio/Navigation
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BOT10717.PDF
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OA/AH/BOT10717/enu/BOT10717.PDF

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 10:04
Drove my wifeís RDX yesterday and it makes me want to trade her my Golf R. I think it is superb and we have not had any electronic glitches (canít say that for the R, lol). It handles so well for the type of vehicle it is, the transmission obeys, the motor very torquey, and the steering nicely weighted (in sport).

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 16:09
TurkMan71 wrote:

Granted, we aren't owner's, but we drove the RDX a couple of weeks ago, along with the other usual suspects in the group...Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mazda.

Consensus from the better half (it would be for her): noisy inside compared to other makes, hates the transmission buttons, not a fan of the middle dash section with larger opening for underneath storage, manual steering adjustment, and chrome exterior bits on the outside. I'm honestly quite surprised by her reaction and thought she'd at least like it, since she is in an Acura now...even though an older, 2011 MDX. First year models and all the new tech gadgets always scare me.

The hunt continues... :(

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 20:26
nightflow wrote:
12/12/18 Over the air system update for RDX

2019_RDX_System_Updates_20181212
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/20...s_20181212.PDF
http://owners.acura.com/vehicles/information/2019/RDX/features/system-updates/2

Software Version D.1.0.7
BOT10717
2019 RDX: Software Update Display Audio/Navigation
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BOT10717.PDF
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OA/AH/BOT10717/enu/BOT10717.PDF

Holy crap thatís a lot of Ďrareí bug fixes...

PininFarina456
Profile for PininFarina456
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 09:43
Am I the only one here that see the positive in this that Acura is finally offering over the air (OTA) updates? It's about time, welcome to 2014 (IIRC, for Android that is - iOS picked up OTA later). Anyhow, I am happy that OTAs are finally offered by Acura.

I am also impressed by the release notes as they are more comprehensive then the past and seem to be from a software company moreso than an auto company.

And yes, the bugs aren't good, but let's face who makes software without bugs in today's day? Even the world's biggest companies, ahem, Google and Apple, ship phones with bugs. Tesla sends updates out all the time.

WillMax
Profile for WillMax
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 09:46
I've owned 28 vehicles from Dodge to Infiniti over the last three decades. Nine of those were Hondas in the last 12 years. The 2019 RDX is my first Acura and it has more problems than all of my nine Hondas combined. For the first time in many years, I'm now considering other brands based on my RDX experience. Resale value is very important to me since I trade often and while it's still good with Honda, I've noticed more problems with each newer Honda I've purchased over the years. My first experience with Honda was in a friend's new fourth-generation Accord - that's what drew me to the brand. Unfortunately, today's Honda is significantly different. The primary problems with my RDX are a cold engine vibration while stopped in reverse, fit/finish issues, a squeaky brake pedal, infotainment/HUD bugs, harsh 2-3 shifts, door rattles, parking sensor false alerts, quirky automatic high beam operation, higher-than-typical cold engine idle, high brake pedal effort to keep the vehicle from creeping while in gear, and more. I'm reluctant to take the vehicle in because my closest Acura dealer requires a two-hour trip. My first Acura will probably be my last. It's really a shame, because the vehicle looks, rides, and handles great.

Honda1
Profile for Honda1
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 10:24
>>> fit/finish issues,

Can you elaborate?

WillMax
Profile for WillMax
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 10:52
Honda1 wrote:
>>> fit/finish issues,

Can you elaborate?

Sure...

- Lower driver's B-pillar inside trim scuffed and scratched
- Debris under paint on trailing edge of front passenger door
- A-pillar inside trim warped/bowed extending into the windshield field of view
- Wave in the windshield causing optical distortion at the top of the HUD reflection
- Pucker in the driver's seat bottom leather
- Black sealant/adhesive protruding from the bottom of the rear window
- Swirl marks and dots on the shiny black B-pillar outside trim
- Rust-like spot under the clear coat on one of the wheels
- "Slats" on the roll-up center console cover don't lay flat and sometimes cause it to hang up when sliding open

Those are just a few of the things off the top of my head.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 11:09
WillMax wrote:
Honda1 wrote:
>>> fit/finish issues,

Can you elaborate?

Sure...

- Wave in the windshield causing optical distortion at the top of the HUD reflection
- "Slats" on the roll-up center console cover don't lay flat and sometimes cause it to hang up when sliding open

Dont think you have to explain yourself, everyone is going to have different ownership experiences, but these issues are unacceptable. I could see them happening in the Smart Luxury era products but if you are going to state Precision Crafted Performance you better bring the Precision and the Performance for that matter!

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 11:19
cksi1372 wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

Granted, we aren't owner's, but we drove the RDX a couple of weeks ago, along with the other usual suspects in the group...Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mazda.

Consensus from the better half (it would be for her): noisy inside compared to other makes, hates the transmission buttons, not a fan of the middle dash section with larger opening for underneath storage, manual steering adjustment, and chrome exterior bits on the outside. I'm honestly quite surprised by her reaction and thought she'd at least like it, since she is in an Acura now...even though an older, 2011 MDX. First year models and all the new tech gadgets always scare me.

A-Spec has no chrome.

In Canada, comparably equipped, the X3, Q5, and GLC were all $14-$17K more. If that is worth electronic steering adjustment then....

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 11:22
WillMax wrote:
Honda1 wrote:
>>> fit/finish issues,

Can you elaborate?

Sure...

Holy shit. You have a lemon. 11K KM and none of the issues you mention. Even the 'slat' issue.

Having said that, a lot of the issues you mention are dealership related - paint swirls, scuffs (maybe you did this yourself), etc.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 13:26
Mikeydred wrote:
WillMax wrote:
Honda1 wrote:
>>> fit/finish issues,

Can you elaborate?

Sure...

Dont think you have to explain yourself, everyone is going to have different ownership experiences, but these issues are unacceptable. I could see them happening in the Smart Luxury era products but if you are going to state Precision Crafted Performance you better bring the Precision and the Performance for that matter!

So you make a generalization based on this yet at least 2 of us on this thread have had no issues whatsoever?

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 13:50
RMTRADER wrote:

So you make a generalization based on this yet at least 2 of us on this thread have had no issues whatsoever?

Hopefully you are lucky and got a problem-free car, but look at how the 2019 RDX reviews are sprinkled with problem reports: https://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2019/consumer-reviews/?pagesize=50

And look at the trend for the previous gen RDX, where they added a bit of tech during the MMC and got the problems to increase a lot: https://www.truedelta.com/Acura-RDX/reliability-16

This is not new for Acura, and not just anecdotal. They have been going down pretty much all reliability rankings for a few years now, so statistics support the unreliability claims.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 15:33
Sasker wrote:
RMTRADER wrote:

Hopefully you are lucky and got a problem-free car, but look at how the 2019 RDX reviews are sprinkled with problem reports: https://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2019/consumer-reviews/?pagesize=50

And look at the trend for the previous gen RDX, where they added a bit of tech during the MMC and got the problems to increase a lot: https://www.truedelta.com/Acura-RDX/reliability-16

This is not new for Acura, and not just anecdotal. They have been going down pretty much all reliability rankings for a few years now, so statistics support the unreliability claims.

When a reviewer refers to the RDX transmission as a ďduel clutch,Ē one must take the rest of the review with caution.

More seriously, thanks for the links.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 16:40
RMTRADER wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
WillMax wrote:
Honda1 wrote:
>>> fit/finish issues,

Can you elaborate?

Sure...

I have no stock in Acura so no need to make any generalization and if you are an owner with no issues than great. I hope that you will be honest should issues occur. I certainly have not been spared of any issues or nuisances as an Acura owner. Like I mentioned a friend of mine with no prior owner experience with Acura's has an RDX and already has dealt with a dead battery and issues with GPS. I dont own one and didn't bother clicking on the link but I assume these are not small samples of issues and we know there are TSBs out there as well. My hope would be that Acura can maintain a very small amount tof issues, because let's face it, it comes down to the quality control. These complaints will be the ones that buyers remember and it only takes so much before sales take a hit, also if they continue pushing RDX at this volume can quality be maintained? Reliability use to be Acura play card but as they continue to drop on studies and yes UI issues is grouped with reliability perception will take a hit.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-15-2018 14:03
Yea I concur with RMtrader here. As an engineer, my Rdx has been pretty much flawless. With the internet, it's just more easy for people to share information such as issues with their cars. I also believe with best more technologies and features, the chance of running into an issue is much higher than say a 4th accord (which I had before, the DX trim). I find a lot of the issues are related to the infotainment system. I wonder how many are just people not used to the system though, like how some studies say the two tier system in other Acura is unreliable, when it's more of a user friendliness and performance issue.
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-15-2018 18:45
RMTRADER wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

A-Spec has no chrome.

In Canada, comparably equipped, the X3, Q5, and GLC were all $14-$17K more. If that is worth electronic steering adjustment then....

Yep, and she liked the A-Spec better because of that, which was kind of funny as she is more "luxury" in her tastes, usually. I'm in the US, so the price spread isn't as wide as you Canucks.

If you've driven all of those, you'd know it's more than just the steering adjustment to many...all depends on how much you want to spend. We tend to keep our cars for a long time, so price spread becomes even less relevant. That said, I might get lucky as she drove a 2018 RDX Advance today and seems to have moved that to the top, although no electric steering adj could be a problem... :)

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-16-2018 02:40
How often does she adjust the steering anyway? The only car I've had with electric steering adjustment was the '06 RLegendo, which was neat, but I haven't missed it on later cars......
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-16-2018 12:29
sadlerau wrote:
How often does she adjust the steering anyway? The only car I've had with electric steering adjustment was the '06 RLegendo, which was neat, but I haven't missed it on later cars......

Ok, let's just put the electric steering adjustment "thing" to bed real quick...it was just something the better half noticed in the 19 RDX vs her 2011 MDX. Not a big deal, but something that stood out to her, so I mentioned it above. The interior noise and center stack layout/electronics, along with the chrome exterior of the Advance (I realize A-Spec doesn't have that), were much larger factors in her dislike of the 19 RDX. She actually prefers the 2018 RDX better as it's more similar to her 11 MDX, which she loves, just wants something smaller. Either way a "win" for me as a 2018 will be less expensive, if we decide to go that route.

I personally don't really agree with her dislike of some of the things on the 19 RDX, other than maybe the chrome, but it will be her car. My biggest thing is that it's a first, new model year vehicle and I'm not a big fan of buying those at all. Have had 2-3 first model year vehicles in our family (all Honda/Acura) that 2 we had to replace transmissions on out of warranty (81k and 105k) and another trans was going (roughly 50k), but vehicle was traded before it crapped out.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2018 01:08
I agree about the chrome..can't stand it....but it can be wrapped lol. Easy fix. It's an easy and cheap fix if you DIY :D

WillMax
Profile for WillMax
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2018 11:55
cksi1372 wrote:...noisy inside compared to other makes...

I thought my RDX was noisy, too - even compared to my 2017 Ridgeline. I then discovered that the dealer installed the two rubber plugs in the wrong frame holes during PDI. I purchased and installed four additional plugs for the other holes - including the correct ones. The decrease in road noise was noticeable.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2018 13:30
cksi1372 wrote:
RMTRADER wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

A-Spec has no chrome.

Yep, and she liked the A-Spec better because of that, which was kind of funny as she is more "luxury" in her tastes, usually. I'm in the US, so the price spread isn't as wide as you Canucks.

If you've driven all of those, you'd know it's more than just the steering adjustment to many...all depends on how much you want to spend. We tend to keep our cars for a long time, so price spread becomes even less relevant. That said, I might get lucky as she drove a 2018 RDX Advance today and seems to have moved that to the top, although no electric steering adj could be a problem... :)

The steering is okay in Sport and Sport + but a bit loose in Comfort, at least by my seat of the pants, we hands. FWIW, after driving the competition we settled on either the RDX or the X3 (if you want float you should drive the GLC and new Q5-Audi screwed this one up).

But as you indicate, the RDX and X3 are on the sportier side.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2018 01:59
WillMax wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:...noisy inside compared to other makes...

I thought my RDX was noisy, too - even compared to my 2017 Ridgeline. I then discovered that the dealer installed the two rubber plugs in the wrong frame holes during PDI. I purchased and installed four additional plugs for the other holes - including the correct ones. The decrease in road noise was noticeable.

Sorry but what frame holes are you referring to? Any pictures??

B25Nut
Profile for B25Nut
Re: RDX anecdote    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2018 20:06
The new True Touchpad works better than any other and is not connected with any of the minor bugs in the infotainment system. The new update did correct some of these issues, but has created several others that Acura will correct (I've heard) in February.
We've had our RDX for four months and really couldn't be happier. We did have to deal with a dead battery but that was due to my wife not being accustomed to the push button start - she didn't turn the vehicle off when she left it for 3 hours (the RDX tried to warn her but she didn't know what the multiple beeping meant when she walked away). Acura road service had her on her way in less than an hour in a very rural area. We also didn't like the Auto Hi-Beam, but it is easily disabled and we use it the old fashion way. We also disable the Auto Idle Stop each time we start the RDX (it would be nice if this could be permanent).
If you take each individual feature of the RDX, youíll probably find one other vehicle in its segment that does it better. But adding up the scores for all the features, the RDX wins by a large margin.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0