[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Toyota Supra
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Documentary - the true price of electric mobility
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Torque Capacity of 10 Speed Auto
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Ridgeline - Modifications > > Re: Rear Door Hack

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Maxtierney
Profile for Maxtierney
Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-29-2018 04:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Quick and easy DIY video on how to widen the rear door openings.

Part Numbers
72380-TG7-A02
72340-TG7-A02

https://youtu.be/_9-7ckh819o

Last edited by JeffX on 11-29-2018 12:37
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2018 10:37
I can't believe I missed this video until now. I'm going to do this to mine.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2018 11:11
It looks like they are the door stays for the front two doors. Just ordered the two parts, $20 total. Not too bad.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2018 11:13
The question has to be asked, why Honda did it their way? Does the extra travel mean the front door could foul that rear door, now that it swings out so much further??
HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2018 11:29
sadlerau wrote:
The question has to be asked, why Honda did it their way? Does the extra travel mean the front door could foul that rear door, now that it swings out so much further??

I am guessing it's so when the rear passengers get out, they don't ding neighboring cars or the door edges. In very tight spots, I would get out and restrain the back door so that when my kid gets out, he does not ding the neighboring car. With all the road rage out there, the last thing I want is a pissed off car owner confronting me in a parking lot.

Every designer has to make these choices. I think I understand why Honda did what they did. On the other hand, I may be giving them too much credit :-)

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-06-2018 12:44
My guess is that's the reasoning for the Pilot, since it's basically a minivan that would have kids in the back. Everything just got carried over to the Ridgeline when it was designed.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 20:19
These are OEM Honda parts?

Why would AHM not put these on the truck to begin with?

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 20:30
TonyEX wrote:

good question.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 21:42
This could all be due to the reasonable distance a child would need to reach out of the car while seated to grasp a rear door and pull it closed. It's dumb but someone somewhere would sue Honda because their child fell to the pavement trying to reach an open door. We are Americans, you know. The real issue is probably the short length of the door meaning how close the hinges are to the back of the seat and then how vertical the trailing edge of the door opening is.

The front doors on my Accord sedan open too far outward for even adults to reach the door pulls while seated. I assume the front passenger door opens as far outward as it does to ease ingress/egress of a disabled person in a wheelchair or walker.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 22:13
TonyEX wrote:
These are OEM Honda parts? Why would AHM not put these on the truck to begin with?

I also don't see a reason why they don't want to include as standard.

The doors on my '11 City open nearly 80 degrees. They make a huge difference in convenience getting in and out and there is no disadvantage I can think of. The new ones have the tiny openings and it is immediately obvious when you open the door.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 06:14
Grace141 wrote:
This could all be due to the reasonable distance a child would need to reach out of the car while seated to grasp a rear door and pull it closed. It's dumb but someone somewhere would sue Honda because their child fell to the pavement trying to reach an open door. We are Americans, you know. The real issue is probably the short length of the door meaning how close the hinges are to the back of the seat and then how vertical the trailing edge of the door opening is.

The front doors on my Accord sedan open too far outward for even adults to reach the door pulls while seated. I assume the front passenger door opens as far outward as it does to ease ingress/egress of a disabled person in a wheelchair or walker.

Plausible.

How far did the previous Ridgeback's doors open?

Of course, it might equally be something really daft, such as a late prototype's door was caught be the wind and got creased when it collided with the B-pillar. Having had an 'oh shit, it's too far down the road to re-tool' moment, they took the expediency of installing the shorter stays.

We'll soon find out from the hackers whether there is any foundation in my pure supposition in due course!

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 07:30
I'll give an update once I install mine, they are supposed to be delivered today. It doesn't look like the door can crash into the B-pillar. The stay pulls on the B-pillar, so it could pull harder on it with it being more of a sail in a wind gust. Then again, this is the same part used for the front doors, so I'd assume you'd have the same issue there?

I don't have any issue reaching out and pulling the front door shut and neither does my girlfriend who is quite a bit smaller than me.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 07:32
Nick GravesX wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

Plausible.

How far did the previous Ridgeback's doors open?

Of course, it might equally be something really daft, such as a late prototype's door was caught be the wind and got creased when it collided with the B-pillar. Having had an 'oh shit, it's too far down the road to re-tool' moment, they took the expediency of installing the shorter stays.

We'll soon find out from the hackers whether there is any foundation in my pure supposition in due course!

I walked down to our garage and measured the door aperture of the MDX rear doors. They have a clear opening of about 29-inches but that's at the widest point where the opening curves at the passenger shoulder point. It didn't look like the door opened to a greater angle.

The part numbers for the checkers are interesting. It looks like the Pilot uses the same checkers for the front and rear doors and the Ridgeline uses that same checker on the front doors. The Ridgeline rear door checkers are unique though which probably explains where the video fellow got the idea for the checker swap. The MDX uses yet another checker number but the front and rear appear to match.

The cost cutting move would be to use the same part everywhere so there must be some reason, significant or not. I hadn't thought of the weights of the doors or the distances from the door pulls to the hinges, for instance. Good times.

One tangent. With the Accords I've owned, the white moisture barrier film could be peeled off the door for easier access to the checker and then stuck back to the black adhesive goo on the door.

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 08:37
Grace141 wrote:
This could all be due to the reasonable distance a child would need to reach out of the car while seated to grasp a rear door and pull it closed. It's dumb but someone somewhere would sue Honda because their child fell to the pavement trying to reach an open door. We are Americans, you know.

It's quite interesting to read the speculative thinking going into this subject..brilliant all of them. It's a shame that nobody from Honda engineering is willing to come on and explain. I realize that if they assigned people to address all such issues on all such platforms, they'll need double the number of employees, but it sure would be nice, once in a while for them to address such interesting issues raised by some of the ardent fans of their products. It might at least put to rest the notion that they do such things without much thought :-(

Grace, regarding your take on this, my answer would be that a parent who does not take the responsibility to make sure that a child of the size and age you seem to have in mind, is properly belted in and who, furthermore, does not take the responsibility to shut the back door him or herself before getting behind the wheel and driving off, has no business suing anybody.

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 09:00
Grace141 wrote:

I am guessing it's to accommodate the increasing girth of the average Bud-swilling "Joe American". As you said "we are Americans"! I think vehicles for the wheelchair bound tend to be specifically modified for them after purchase and so I would doubt that car makers would design the average car to meet the needs of the truly handicapped, but the the truly obese? That's most of us in their customer base! :-)

dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 21:29
TonyEX wrote:

These are OEM Pilot door checkers. I put them on my Ridgeline today with no problem. Took about 15 mins. Nice to have the doors open wider.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 00:10
dutchboy wrote:
These are OEM Pilot door checkers. I put them on my Ridgeline today with no problem. Took about 15 mins. Nice to have the doors open wider.

With the rear doors fully open, can you open the front door without it fouling against the rear door?

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 06:28
sadlerau wrote:
dutchboy wrote:

With the rear doors fully open, can you open the front door without it fouling against the rear door?

I haven't done the install, but I looked at this as being a problem and looked at how the two interact. I don't think it will be an issue. As stated above, the Pilot for whatever reason uses the longer stays, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Profiler
Profile for Profiler
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 16:35
I love this!
One of my biggest gripes on my 18 RL RTL-E
Is that..... plus air pressure in tires constantly fluctuates downward

dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 21:39
sadlerau wrote:
dutchboy wrote:

Oh ya no problem at all.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 08:28
dutchboy wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
dutchboy wrote:

Oh ya no problem at all.

Well that takes care of one potential issue. :)

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 09:56
Profiler wrote:
I love this!
Is that..... plus air pressure in tires constantly fluctuates downward

On all 4 tires equally? I haven't had an issue with it. I've had to air up the tires once in a year's time.

magueto
Profile for magueto
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 11:27
Profiler wrote:
I love this!

That was my gripe when I was looking to buy one, and that gripe looked bigger because I was trying to changed a CRV for that RL, and everyone that has a CRV knows that the opening of the rear doors is incredible how big that opening is.

Profiler
Profile for Profiler
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 18:45
just the Three OEM firestones
had to replace one with another brand when I accidentally punctured the sidewall on sharp lava rock

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Rear Door Hack    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-03-2019 14:36
HondaForever wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
This could all be due to the reasonable distance a child would need to reach out of the car while seated to grasp a rear door and pull it closed. It's dumb but someone somewhere would sue Honda because their child fell to the pavement trying to reach an open door. We are Americans, you know.

It's quite interesting to read the speculative thinking going into this subject..brilliant all of them. It's a shame that nobody from Honda engineering is willing to come on and explain. I realize that if they assigned people to address all such issues on all such platforms, they'll need double the number of employees, but it sure would be nice, once in a while for them to address such interesting issues raised by some of the ardent fans of their products. It might at least put to rest the notion that they do such things without much thought :-(

Grace, regarding your take on this, my answer would be that a parent who does not take the responsibility to make sure that a child of the size and age you seem to have in mind, is properly belted in and who, furthermore, does not take the responsibility to shut the back door him or herself before getting behind the wheel and driving off, has no business suing anybody.

The Ridgeline has a number of small niggling issues that underscores that AHM is still learning to do a truck.

(1) Rear doors don't swing wide enough. I looked at our doors and the tips of the front doors swing about four inches wider than the rear tips... so there's plenty of room for the rear doors to go.

(2) The OEM bed lid is not fully thought through. The single action handles that secure the lid to the rear are very hard to use, almost impossible for a woman to pull and slide, get in the way of the cargo and the ancillary metal brackets should have been rubber coated. As it stands, for 1000 bucks MSRP, Honda should have put a rolling, locking cover.

(3) The OEM bed lid blocks the trunk cover from fully opening. It also blocks the light. If you want to use the trunk cover, you need to partially open the OEM bed lid... and then deal with those locks.

(4) There are a lot of sharp metal parts in the trunk. They should have all been rubber coated.

(5) No locking tailgate... what where they thinking?

It seems to me like AHM forgot to schedule some inter team meetings to do parts of the truck. Perhaps assumed that the teams already knew how to do it, as in when they build cars and SUVs, when in reality the truck presents a different set of issues that AHM has yet to fully develop.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0