[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Toyota Supra
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara experience?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Documentary - the true price of electric mobility
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Torque Capacity of 10 Speed Auto
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Videos > > Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
fishchan
Profile for fishchan
The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2018 00:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2018 00:53

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2018 02:38

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2018 21:58
fishchan wrote:

Yeah, I've been following LHT's YouTube channel for quite some time - I was psyched to see them branch off from a lot of S2K in-shop content to 2019 NSX out in the wild. I'm interested to see what performance mods they do and hope this gets the NSX more buzz and Internet-street-cred. ;-)

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2018 22:24
I subscribed to his channel to help out. I'm kind of surprised he complaint about soap entering the engine bay, isn't it par for the course for these kind of cars? I remembered partly on supercar washing that some folks blocked the intakes to stopped sprays or soap entering the engine bay.

I'm kind of confused with his 2019 model statement when he dragged race the car. Then I realized that orange color is only available on the refresh model. The new suspension tuning apparently quite potent for the car, matching previous model year with a downpipe addon. I couldn't wait for Type-S/Type-R variant of the car, seems like everything on the car is just waiting to be tuned to kingdom come.

Maxtierney
Profile for Maxtierney
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2018 23:35
LudeLeRoy wrote:
fishchan wrote:

Yeah, I've been following LHT's YouTube channel for quite some time - I was psyched to see them branch off from a lot of S2K in-shop content to 2019 NSX out in the wild. I'm interested to see what performance mods they do and hope this gets the NSX more buzz and Internet-street-cred. ;-)

Vivid Racing did a tune on an NSX a couple of weeks ago. Gained 100whp to the wheels. Slowly, but surely...

https://youtu.be/08hf3CZ8Jz8

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 00:13
Midi_Amp wrote:
........complaint about soap entering the engine bay, isn't it par for the course for these kind of cars? I remembered partly on supercar washing that some folks blocked the intakes to stopped sprays or soap entering the engine bay.

One of the annoyances with the MkI is the amount of water that get's into the "gutter" around the boot opening. No water gets into the compartment itself, but you have to dry and clean the groove around the opening every time you wash the car. Might get away from having to do it every time in a lighter colour, but black...........

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 21:21
Midi_Amp wrote:
I subscribed to his channel to help out. I'm kind of surprised he complaint about soap entering the engine bay, isn't it par for the course for these kind of cars? I remembered partly on supercar washing that some folks blocked the intakes to stopped sprays or soap entering the engine bay.

The same thing happens if you wash a normal car with a water spray from the front grill area... the only difference is, most people never bother to open up the engine bay, and the hood is not transparent..

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 20:15
I think the ZR1 just replaced the NSX for this years performance car of the year. 2017 was NSX. 2019 is ZR1.

I donít care for the ZR1 but it is ironic given the title of this thread.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 22:40
fishchan wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:

The same thing happens if you wash a normal car with a water spray from the front grill area... the only difference is, most people never bother to open up the engine bay, and the hood is not transparent..

I'm driving a 2019 NSX this week and coincidentally I washed it tonight. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of foam getting into the engine bay or even around the sealed area. I guess I rinsed it well enough?

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 00:08
JeffX wrote:
I'm driving a 2019 NSX this week and coincidentally I washed it tonight.

Lucky, lucky bastard! :) I'm looking forward to your review, the interesting point being will you remember enough of your last drive in the NSX to make valid comparisons with the new one?

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 01:15
Curious to get your feedback on the 2019s.

Can you feel the difference in suspension/tires/electronics tuning for the 2019 units? Does it feel tighter or is it a marginal difference compared to 2017/2018?

What about the headunit for the infotainment. I know the navigation is now standard along with ELS stereo, but is the connectivity and processing speed for inputs any better or faster? Any improvements on the rear camera resolutions. Some owners have complained the resolution is poor.

Did US/Canada cars get a newer turbo or is the revised turbo only for the Europeans to go along with their particulate filters (which is quite restrictive). I surmised the European units had no power change because the power loss from the particulate filters were off setup by the gains from the revised turbo. Wondering if the revised turbo made it to US and whether this resulted in a stronger engine even though the rating remained the same.

Looking forward to hearing your updates Jeff.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 17:08
silverf16 wrote:
Curious to get your feedback on the 2019s.

Can you feel the difference in suspension/tires/electronics tuning for the 2019 units? Does it feel tighter or is it a marginal difference compared to 2017/2018?

What about the headunit for the infotainment. I know the navigation is now standard along with ELS stereo, but is the connectivity and processing speed for inputs any better or faster? Any improvements on the rear camera resolutions. Some owners have complained the resolution is poor.

Did US/Canada cars get a newer turbo or is the revised turbo only for the Europeans to go along with their particulate filters (which is quite restrictive). I surmised the European units had no power change because the power loss from the particulate filters were off setup by the gains from the revised turbo. Wondering if the revised turbo made it to US and whether this resulted in a stronger engine even though the rating remained the same.

Looking forward to hearing your updates Jeff.

I wish I could drive them back to back to give you a proper comparison but my last street experience in the pre '19 NSX was a preproduction 2017 model..

I think for sure the tires are a big step forward, but it's fairly cool right now so I'm not sure I'm even getting the full potential from them. They're pretty damned impressive so far.

To me the car feels a little bit on the soft side, especially on track, but the benefit is that it's VERY livable as a daily driver and it still handles really well. Interestingly I seem to notice the weight a bit more when whipping it on some of the mountain roads - it's plenty manageable, but on track when you're going full tilt I guess I'm not thinking about it so much because you don't really have to fight it, and I'm not so concerned about the consequences of the weight since at the track I'm in a "controlled" environment, vs being on the street where you don't always know where the truly dangerous spots can show up.

As for the headunit, as much as I drove the pre-production prototype I barely used the audio system as I was so busy exploring the car's performance envelope. I will say that it seems to be virtually identical to what I have in my Type R except with a few minor differences.I will say that it has a more responsive screen and whatever CPU it's running seems to be considerably faster than that's in the Civics. If it turns out to be the same one, I'd like to know what they've done to tune it to be so much quicker. It's not quite on the level of the newest systems like the ones in the Accord/Pilot/Odyssey but it's not as laggy feeling as the Civic's by a far stretch.

The rear camera is only okay - I find the variance within Honda and Acura models to be somewhat random and confusing. The one on my Accord sport was crystal clear - it looked like 720p or better, but the colors were a little off. For a $150-200k car Acura should have put in an amazing backup camera and in fact it should have the full 360 birds eye cam with the cool augmented reality shit that BMWs cameras have.

As far as the newer turbos, I don't know - I don't think they have been changed. At the Acura full line 2019 event asked if there were any hardware changes to the powertrain at all and the response was that it was nearly 100% software. I suppose it's possible that something has changed, though. I'll see if I can find out.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 18:15
sadlerau wrote:
JeffX wrote:
I'm driving a 2019 NSX this week and coincidentally I washed it tonight.

Lucky, lucky bastard! :) I'm looking forward to your review, the interesting point being will you remember enough of your last drive in the NSX to make valid comparisons with the new one?

Haha, at the drive event in October, I did my first stint in the NSX which was basically a cold lap and about 1 and a half hot laps and everybody there was asking me after I climbed out "HOW DOES IT FEEL COMPARED TO THE 2017??". There's close to 3 years separating the 2 events.

silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 19:34
Thanks for the update Jeff. As usual, you are very detailed in your evaluation. Much appreciated. I been thinking the suspension tuning on 2017-2018 could be firmer. Doesn't need to be Type R firm but perhaps 30% firmer. Sounds like all the 2019 suspension changes resulted in marginal difference. Rightly so because the springs and shocks are largely the same.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 20:05

Jeff your comments on the 2019 feeling softer than you remember are interesting, as I thought they had stiffened the '19 to improve the handling. I wonder if the pre-production model was different from the '17 production model.

Finally I wonder how much your CTR has coloured your impressions of the NSX, because we know just how good the CTR is!

Dice
Profile for Dice
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 09:23
Interesting indeed.

Now if I remember correct there were a lot suspension tuning done between the pre-production cars and the MY17 cars.

My understanding is that the MY19 should be somewhat stiffer.

I'm very curious if I will be able to compare it with my MY17 next summer when I go for maintenance. But as the NSX not are sold in my country it takes some planning to achieve that.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 11:49
Dice wrote:
Interesting indeed.

Now if I remember correct there were a lot suspension tuning done between the pre-production cars and the MY17 cars.

I'm very curious if I will be able to compare it with my MY17 next summer when I go for maintenance. But as the NSX not are sold in my country it takes some planning to achieve that.

the key chassis differences are in the hubs (6% stiffer in the rear), the new tires, and stiffer stabilizer bars front and rear (+26%F, +19%R).

From a tuning perspective they say that they've revised the adaptive damper system tuning, EPS (steering), SH-AWD, and VSA calibrations.

I drove a good bit on Tuesday, which is the day the car arrived. Yesterday we received some terrible news about a close family member so we dropped everything and went straight to the hospital out of state, and spent the night there. I just returned to Atlanta and will have a few hours this afternoon before the car is returned tomorrow first thing in the morning. I was hoping to have gotten a lot of video and photography done yesterday and today if necessary but unfortunately those plans were changed. I have some photos but my plans for more detailed photos and video unfortunately probably won't work out.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 14:44
The car thing is not important, family is.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 16:26
I don't get the "debadging" thing. It seems to be a thing with Japanese makes for reason.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-13-2018 18:52
Dice wrote:
Interesting indeed.

It's my understanding that there were two phases of "pre-production" NSXs that were tested by media. The first wave were the ones that were bagged by a very small, select group of the buff-book guys in California. Those cars were basically advanced prototypes I believe. Lots of tuning changes happened between that drive event (early fall of '15?) and when the global media launch took place in late winter/early spring of '16. That global launch is when I had my first go at the NC1. AFAIK, those cars were technically pre-production but essentially the same spec as what customers ended up getting.

Last edited by JeffX on 12-14-2018 08:38
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 00:40
I saw a black new NSX today, it was gorgeous and aggressive.

I still would like to listen to the justifications i8 buyers are giving for choosing it over the NSX, that absolutely puzzles me.

Dice
Profile for Dice
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 04:03
sadlerau wrote:
The car thing is not important, family is.

Agreed. Fingers crossed.

Any videos can be done later.

Dice
Profile for Dice
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 04:09
JeffX wrote:
Dice wrote:

It's my understanding that there were two phases of "pre-production" NSXs that were tested by media. The first wave were the ones that were bagged by a very small, select group of the buff-book guys in California. Those cars were basically advanced prototypes I believe. Lots of tuning changes happened between that drive event (early fall of '15?) and when the global media launch took place in late winter/early spring of '16. That's when I had my first go at the NC1. AFAIK, those cars were technically pre-production but essentially the same spec as what customers ended up getting.

I was referring to pre-production cars used at the drive event (mid?) fall of '15. I remember that the comments almost turned me off. But I'm overly happy I stayed on course.

In my mind the first really positive commenter was the monkey. And he's a driver.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 12:38
Dice wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Dice wrote:

It's my understanding that there were two phases of "pre-production" NSXs that were tested by media. The first wave were the ones that were bagged by a very small, select group of the buff-book guys in California. Those cars were basically advanced prototypes I believe. Lots of tuning changes happened between that drive event (early fall of '15?) and when the global media launch took place in late winter/early spring of '16. That's when I had my first go at the NC1. AFAIK, those cars were technically pre-production but essentially the same spec as what customers ended up getting.

I was referring to pre-production cars used at the drive event (mid?) fall of '15. I remember that the comments almost turned me off. But I'm overly happy I stayed on course.

In my mind the first really positive commenter was the monkey. And he's a driver.

yes, when I drove the NSX at the global event in January or February of '16 I couldn't believe that they had driven anything close to what we drove. According to the engineers that were present at my event, they said they had indeed made a LOT of changes since that first preview drive.

It's an amazing car - it's not perfect by any means but it's still an incredible machine. Insane acceleration, easily driveable as a daily, even comfortable on extended highway drives, and IMHO it's one of the best looking supercars on the road. It's absolutely stunning while remaining classy.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 17:13
lexusgs wrote:
I saw a black new NSX today, it was gorgeous and aggressive.

I still would like to listen to the justifications i8 buyers are giving for choosing it over the NSX, that absolutely puzzles me.

I bet it's the badge, and likely the vast majority don't even know the NSX exists.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0