[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Toyota Supra
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Documentary - the true price of electric mobility
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Torque Capacity of 10 Speed Auto
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I have an RDX service loaner
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Red Stickers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
SleepingBeauty
Profile for SleepingBeauty
What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 01:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I will be buying a 2018 Honda Accord and I was thinking about which color would be the most practical. This car will be stored outdoors 24/7 and I do not have access to a garage.

I first considered white because the car will heat up less during summer. But every single dust speck is visible. Black solves this somewhat and looks nicer to me but heat is a problem in summer drives. I don't want colors that are "flashy" to police for example, don't know if colors affecting traffic tickets is a myth or not.

As long as the color is not something crazy like neon green or pink, I can live with it. To summarize, please don't give me your favorite colors, but rather the most practical colors, in terms of heat, visibility, and cleaning requirements.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 01:44
I would buy a car in my favourite colour no matter what it may be, but if you want to be logical, here is my opinion: Black looks dirty five minutes after leaving the car wash. I think silver or light grey are the most practical. They hide the dirt pretty well and are mostly inoffensive.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 02:23
Sasker wrote:
I think silver or light grey are the most practical. They hide the dirt pretty well and are mostly inoffensive.

And beige

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 03:14
fishchan wrote:
Sasker wrote:
I think silver or light grey are the most practical. They hide the dirt pretty well and are mostly inoffensive.

And beige

I think they sum it up.

Black you only buy for a garage queen [which you wash after every drive], or you're immune to seeing your car dirty..........

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 07:24

I had one like that - it simply went matt when covered in mud.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 09:42
White has the highest resale because scratches don't show as much since primer is white.

Silver grey or Beige as stated show dirt the least and slide in behind white on resale.

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 12:16
So many people but black and regret it. Believe me. Rhe number of never again customers I had. Esp if you live somewhere dry and dusty or snowy and slushy. Or hot. So just about everywhere. Whereas white us lowest maintenance, hides minor dirt pretty well, is coolest, least fade prone and very visible unless its snowy. Then again I have had people say they buy black as white as too hard to keep clean. I guess, sorry, like the op. Just not the case. Silver light blue beige gold all hide dirt better than white but are hard to maintain otherwise. Silver is apparently the worst to get to match if paint is needed. Tough to get even. Red is middling but fade (and chip?) prone. Yellow is safest...
qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 12:41
SleepingBeauty wrote:

I first considered white because the car will heat up less during summer. But every single dust speck is visible. Black solves this somewhat and looks nicer to me but heat is a problem in summer drives.

This concept applies to clothes but not cars. Black is most likely to look dirty while the lighter colors like white and silver hide dirt much better.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 19:48
qingcong wrote:

This concept applies to clothes but not cars.

Apply to cars. There is a big difference in interior heat. Interior color not so much, only exterior color matters.

fishchan
Profile for fishchan
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 19:53
Nick GravesX wrote:

I had one like that - it simply went matt when covered in mud.

Yes, just clean the wheels and make the tire black, it will look good as new. Never need to clean it

blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 23:04
Having owned Premium White Pearl, Shoreline Mist Metallic, Black, Silver, Red...

TL;DR: light colors hide dust and swirls better, but show grime when wet. Difficult to color match. Dark, solid colors are impossible to keep clean or swirl-free, less discoloration prone, easier to color match.

Shoreline Mist/Beige/Gold probably hide dirt and dust best, but I'm not a huge fan of this color in general.

White hides dust and swirls GREAT, until you add rain to the mix. If left alone during a long rain shower, dirt marks from water running out of panel gaps and such become very visible. Good for long periods if there's no rain. As paint (clearcoat) yellows over time, you'll notice the plastic parts (bumpers) turn more yellow than metal panels. A total pain in the ass to color-match if you need to respray as the different paints will also fade at different rates.

Black... you'll spot the dust specs 5 minutes after your car wash. Also, swirls galore. Looks great if you wash and wax more than you drive. Hot as hell. Easiest to color match for respray, hides yellowing.

Silver: hides dirt and dust and swirls great, and IMO is a better look that beige. Like white, its hard to get it to really shine, but fares much better in the wet. Silver paint also yellows, but is less noticeable than on white. Difficult to color match, as usual with lighter colors.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 15:36
SleepingBeauty wrote:
I will be buying a 2018 Honda Accord and I was thinking about which color would be the most practical. This car will be stored outdoors 24/7 and I do not have access to a garage.

I first considered white because the car will heat up less during summer. But every single dust speck is visible. Black solves this somewhat and looks nicer to me but heat is a problem in summer drives. I don't want colors that are "flashy" to police for example, don't know if colors affecting traffic tickets is a myth or not.

As long as the color is not something crazy like neon green or pink, I can live with it. To summarize, please don't give me your favorite colors, but rather the most practical colors, in terms of heat, visibility, and cleaning requirements.

(1) Shit Brown
(2) Technicolor Yawn
(3) Steel metallic

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 19:09
blackstripe77 wrote:
Having owned Premium White Pearl, Shoreline Mist Metallic, Black, Silver, Red...

TL;DR: light colors hide dust and swirls better, but show grime when wet. Difficult to color match. Dark, solid colors are impossible to keep clean or swirl-free, less discoloration prone, easier to color match.

Shoreline Mist/Beige/Gold probably hide dirt and dust best, but I'm not a huge fan of this color in general.

White hides dust and swirls GREAT, until you add rain to the mix. If left alone during a long rain shower, dirt marks from water running out of panel gaps and such become very visible. Good for long periods if there's no rain. As paint (clearcoat) yellows over time, you'll notice the plastic parts (bumpers) turn more yellow than metal panels. A total pain in the ass to color-match if you need to respray as the different paints will also fade at different rates.

Black... you'll spot the dust specs 5 minutes after your car wash. Also, swirls galore. Looks great if you wash and wax more than you drive. Hot as hell. Easiest to color match for respray, hides yellowing.

Silver: hides dirt and dust and swirls great, and IMO is a better look that beige. Like white, its hard to get it to really shine, but fares much better in the wet. Silver paint also yellows, but is less noticeable than on white. Difficult to color match, as usual with lighter colors.

Black is fine. After a week it settles into a dusty sort of haze dark color. Just clean the windows and keep the interior clean.

The only time black is a hassle is when you get morning dew on a dusty car. It takes a few days for enough morning dew to clean out the dust.

I love red, but it needs to be garaged and really taken care of.

DannyB
Profile for DannyB
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2018 10:12
I just bought a 2018 1.5L Accord Sport a couple weeks ago. :)

I had long said I wouldn't buy a black car, but when looking over the Accord in all the various colors my wife and I instantly agreed on one thing. This car looks best in black, so that's what we went with.

2 weeks in I can absolutely acknowledge black shows dirt easier than any other color, but I do think that's only really obvious when you're examining it up close. Walk 10 feet away in a parking lot and it looks fine, unless truly dirty, just like any other color. Black is definitely not a good choice if you're OCD about keeping your car very clean though.

DannyB
Profile for DannyB
Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2018 10:18
Just realized I didn't answer the original question of the thread.

I think overall Silver is your best bet if you're really looking for the easiest color option overall.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0