[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Toyota Supra
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Documentary - the true price of electric mobility
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Torque Capacity of 10 Speed Auto
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I have an RDX service loaner
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Red Stickers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TLX > > Re: Type-S caught testing

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Author
  Post New Thread
KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 08:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Civicb18 wrote:
technica wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:
Next gen TLX:
- 2.0t/10AT FWD
- 2.0t/10AT SH-AWD
- 2.0t/???? FWD hybrid
- 3.0t/10AT SH-AWD *Type-S

Hoping for these changes for the next gen TLX:

DWS
MT trans
Better weight distribution
Advancements in SH-AWD

My current ride goes back in a couple of years. Want to jump into the TLX next.

You won’t see a manual but everything else you mentioned will be present.

Hey Hey! Don't ruin the spirit of Manual Transmismas for us weary souls. If children can believe in Santa we adults can hold out hope for a sweet sweet manual from one of the premiere manual trans. producers on earth. Even though I expect a lump of automatic coal in my stocking from the Acura Grinch who stole all our clutch pedals.

At least Honda still kinda knows the true meaning of the season with their Accord Sport 6MT. I hope Acura gets visited by the three pedals of Manual Transmismas past. I'm not holding my breath. It'll be bah-hum-bug and they'll throw some crappy paddle shifters at us. Sigh.

alpha0
Profile for alpha0
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-05-2018 08:23
I will be curious to see how they improve weight balance for Type S with V6 Turbo. Based on current RDX, i agree that weight balance will improve for 4 cyl turbo version.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 19:05
Nick GravesX wrote:
TR wrote:

I don't understand why you are omitting Audi from this. Doing very well.
BMW 2.09 million
Audi 1.88 million

I'd say it's a damn good number on a "compromised" platform.

Oi - stop bringing facts into the Acura Circular Argument. How's it supposed to run for another 10,000,000 pages if you keep doing that?

Señor Nicolas.

This Acura mule was being tested in España, hopefully not too close to Torremolinos so the english tourists wouldn't see it.

So, El Argumento Circular de Acura is very safe. Likely will last another 40 years. Even if Acura were to introduce a mid engine, V8, RWD, four door sedan, Señor Lexus will still complain that it lacks pedigree or sumthin' like dat!

@lanta
Profile for @lanta
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 08:29
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
TR wrote:

BMW 2.09 million
Audi 1.88 million

Oi - stop bringing facts into the Acura Circular Argument. How's it supposed to run for another 10,000,000 pages if you keep doing that?

Señor Nicolas.

This Acura mule was being tested in España, hopefully not too close to Torremolinos so the english tourists wouldn't see it.

So, El Argumento Circular de Acura is very safe. Likely will last another 40 years. Even if Acura were to introduce a mid engine, V8, RWD, four door sedan, Señor Lexus will still complain that it lacks pedigree or sumthin' like dat!

lmfao^

Honda1
Profile for Honda1
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 09:40
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
TR wrote:

BMW 2.09 million
Audi 1.88 million

Señor Nicolas.

Good one, Tony!

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 11:15
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
TR wrote:

BMW 2.09 million
Audi 1.88 million

Señor Nicolas.

Ay Ay Ay...that layout would create a noticeable front overhang - you're only chucking more fuel on the conflagration!

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 13:09
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
TR wrote:

BMW 2.09 million
Audi 1.88 million

Señor Nicolas.

For someone who consistently posts the most moronic strange oddball rants that have nothing to do with the subject and are border line mental illness evidence you are the last person who should run their mouth about other posters.

DevilMayCry
Profile for DevilMayCry
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 15:50
lexusgs wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

Señor Nicolas.

For someone who consistently posts the most moronic strange oddball rants that have nothing to do with the subject and are border line mental illness evidence you are the last person who should run their mouth about other posters.

Well....said!!

None
Profile for None
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-11-2018 19:10
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
TR wrote:

BMW 2.09 million
Audi 1.88 million

Señor Nicolas.

I just ignore that trolls post, but you are correct.

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-24-2018 21:06
Do most believe thee transmissions will be the slow shifting 10 speed or a dsg style. The 10 speed could not withstand the torque levels of the 3.0t unless it is upgraded. 10 gears is actually too many for a car with that much horsepower, it would spend too much time shifting. The 8 speed ZF in audi's and bmw's is regarded by many as the best automatic out there.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-25-2018 00:19
RAV wrote:
Do most believe thee transmissions will be the slow shifting 10 speed or a dsg style. The 10 speed could not withstand the torque levels of the 3.0t unless it is upgraded. 10 gears is actually too many for a car with that much horsepower, it would spend too much time shifting. The 8 speed ZF in audi's and bmw's is regarded by many as the best automatic out there.

1. The 10 speed is slow? Based on what?
2. You know the torque limits of that architecture?
3. Why is 10 gears too many? GM and Ford are using a 10 speed with very positive reviews in applications with more power than Acura's V6 will produce.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-25-2018 01:49
gofast182 wrote:
RAV wrote:

1. The 10 speed is slow? Based on what?
2. You know the torque limits of that architecture?
3. Why is 10 gears too many? GM and Ford are using a 10 speed with very positive reviews in applications with more power than Acura's V6 will produce.

I believe he is partly correct.

I wouldn't regard the transmission is slow. But we have discussed it probable torque capacity on here.

The Accord has around 280lb-ft and I would expect the TT V6 to have a LOT more than that. I doubt that the Accord's tranny is beefed up that much (based on feedback from some posters, I personally wouldn't go beyond a Stage 1 Hondata tune on it), so I would assume that if a similar transmission is put in the TLX, it will be beefed up quite a bit considering the additional torque and the extra stress of AWD.

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-25-2018 10:20
Jeff X and others have spoken about the slow shifting of the 10 speed in the RDX slowing down its 0-60 time. The RDX puts out 20 more HP than the X3 & Q5 and lighter and 1/2 second slower to 60. Both the X3 and Q5 both have the ZF 8 speed. That is my point. Ferraris and many high power cars never have more than 7 or 8 gears. 10 speeds are better suited for fuel economy and vehilcles that tow needing that low first gear. Some 10 speeds skip first gear.
RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-25-2018 12:25
RAV wrote:
Jeff X and others have spoken about the slow shifting of the 10 speed in the RDX slowing down its 0-60 time. The RDX puts out 20 more HP than the X3 & Q5 and lighter and 1/2 second slower to 60. Both the X3 and Q5 both have the ZF 8 speed. That is my point. Ferraris and many high power cars never have more than 7 or 8 gears. 10 speeds are better suited for fuel economy and vehilcles that tow needing that low first gear. Some 10 speeds skip first gear.

That’s not why it is slower. The 10 speed doesn’t shift quite as fast as the dual clutch in my Golf R but it is very close and definitely smoother. Those other cars have launch control.

I can tell you that on a roll it has no problem keeping up with the others in the class.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-27-2018 00:23
RAV wrote:

I don't recall any notes about the transmission being "slow." I know it changes shifting maps pretty significantly in the different drive modes, but I saw the discussion on the RDX being related more toward driveline preservation through torque management vs shift speed.

I can say for a fact that the 10AT was a LOT more aggressive and faster shifting than the 6AT it replaced on the Accord, and that in and of itself was a massive improvement on the previous 5AT. In fact, I thought the 10AT in the Accord Sport I drove ripped off shifts about as quickly as it possibly could. I mean, I am sure it could be faster, but it certainly didn't seem like it was lazy by any stretch.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-27-2018 13:00
owequitit wrote:
RAV wrote:

I don't recall any notes about the transmission being "slow." I know it changes shifting maps pretty significantly in the different drive modes, but I saw the discussion on the RDX being related more toward driveline preservation through torque management vs shift speed.

I can say for a fact that the 10AT was a LOT more aggressive and faster shifting than the 6AT it replaced on the Accord, and that in and of itself was a massive improvement on the previous 5AT. In fact, I thought the 10AT in the Accord Sport I drove ripped off shifts about as quickly as it possibly could. I mean, I am sure it could be faster, but it certainly didn't seem like it was lazy by any stretch.

I believe that was part of my original point. The shifts in the Accord with the 2.0T and 10AT seem much quicker. And yeah, I'd agree that the 10AT in the Accord shifts much quicker than the 6AT it replaced. What's going on with the RDX seems to be a deliberate pause in power delivery for whatever reason. My best guess is that it's down to the enhanced traction of the AWD system, and they're deliberately taking things easy between shifts in order to mitigate driveline shock between shifts. They could easily program the SHAWD system to momentarily freewheel the clutches but that would likely result in some strange sensations.

In the FWD Accord if there's a torque pulse it's easily absorbed by a brief moment of wheelspin.

It would be interesting to drive a FWD RDX to see the difference, if there is one.

Farage1
Profile for Farage1
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-27-2018 21:51
I would tend to agree that the rdx 10spd is probably better for fuel economy, but hey, its better than the cvt in the new infiniti qx50.

As for the new tt tlx, hopefully acura uses a dual clutch. I have the 2017 infiniti q50 3.0tt which has a carryover 7spd auto from the 3.7 q50. It works well for a carryover transmission but sometimes struggles to find the right gear when you give it a litte gas. One extra gear would be nice, i do like the 8dct in the 2.4 tlx.

Ill tell you though, a turbo v6 is worlds different from a n/a 4 or 6 cylinder. I cant see myself going back. The instant torque and effortless power makes you feel like the king of the road. All hail turbo power.

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: Type-S caught testing    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-28-2018 13:31
Owequitit, you are correct that the launch is the reason why the rdx is slow 0-60. I watched a youtube of the car doing a 0-100 and the car pulled an average 6.3 from 40-80. Almost all cars are 10-15% faster to 60 than their 40-80 time. That would put the RDX in the mid 5's

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0