[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
Accord --> Re: Accord back in the family
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My talk with Honda's Motorsports Boss
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Toyota Supra
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW trying to out ugly Lexus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Cars for a mid life crisis
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Honda's new marking word - "Spay-flu"
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Incomplete recall
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Documentary - the true price of electric mobility
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Non-Type S ?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Torque Capacity of 10 Speed Auto
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: ICE to FCEV "engine" swap
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Hondata Flashpro for 2019 RDX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic 8th gen engine swap
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I have an RDX service loaner
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Red Stickers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 00:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
After waiting and waiting and driving in (dry) sub 30 degree temps I finally took off my 18x8+45 aspec wheels with the 235/40R18 Conti Extreme Contact Sports summer tires and replaced it with brand new Conti Control Contact Touring Plus A/S tires (215/50R17) on the stock 17x7+55 wheels in preparation for the up coming snow storm.

Initial impression:
They are a very quiet, smooth and comfortable tire with an ok amount of grip. Numb and slow steering response and seem to let the car 'bounce' after coming to a stop. They have very deep tread groves and an aggressive looking pattern with pretty soft sidewalls, even at 40psi. My old Cooper Zeon RS3-A in comparison had a much stiffer sidewall with better steering response and less aggressive tread patterns that helped gear the tire more grip for performance summer driving and light all season use. Both being all seasons still its clear to see which tires intended driving style was.

I chose the Control Contacts because I felt they would perform best in the snow based on the looks of the tread. There really weren't any reviews online I found of it in snow. I went with these over any other brand because of how much I love my Extreme Contact Sports. Those tires (despite me ruining them at NCCAR) still ride extremely smooth for the harder compound, lower side wall and larger wheel they wrap.

Conti makes a really good tire I'm starting to believe.

The snow started around 1:15am Saturday morning and transitioned into nasty sleet, rain mix by around 4PM. I measured 9" on my car, back porch and in the yard here in Mebane NC.

I brushed the snow off the car and started to defrost it. Mean while I left the driveway and street in front of the house untouched; I wanted to see what the tires could do.

To my surprise they were able to get the TSX out of the driveway and up the hardly touched street without a fuss. On road handling in the snowy conditions proved confident and for the most part in control as the name would suggest. Granted I didn't really go above 30mph but if I did I feel like things would have been ok. I did not try them out on the hwy.

Obviously these are not snow tires but for how well they done and for what they are, I give them a B- but only before they start to wear.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 01:06
Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure these are Continental tires that you are referring to.

I have had really good winter time traction with my Continental DWS's on my Si and recently purchased Continental True Contact Tours for our Accord from Tire Rack, which did well in our recent Blizzard here in KC.

Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-10-2018 18:04
I have Continentals A/S on both my S2000 and TSX for the winter. I living in suburban Chicago. They do really well in the winter.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2018 23:59

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-14-2018 10:48
Leave that snow there!
We have been cold the last two weeks here but no snow, with all the rain we have gotten this year its only a matter of time that it turns to snow not looking forward to it.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0