[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Today's Reading Links --> Re: And you thought you were the intended beneficiary of the proposed lower gas mileage rules...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX anecdote
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Aston Martin Valkarie ICE (Cosworth Design)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TheStraightPipes youtube car channel reviews
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Dispenser Issues and Infrared Interface
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 01:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-hyundai-veloster-n-performance-pricing

Seems like a great deal, almost cheap enough to tear up at the track with no worries.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 07:51
outersquare wrote:

Seems like a great deal, almost cheap enough to tear up at the track with no worries.

Sounds like Hyundai got the price right. Although to be fair to get it properly spec'd means you spend $29,885 with the performance package upgrade.

Still, that undercuts the CTR, Golf-R and Focus RS by a relatively huge margin. And frankly, it probably has to. The N still has to start with the base Veloster, which is far inferior to the Civic and Golf in many ways. That said, I think at sub-$30k they'll sell every one they make and it will go a long way toward moving Hyundai's performance cred up a couple of notches. And when the N-team (which is populated by some pretty strong people) gets ahold of a next gen platform which they have some input into before production, I expect they'll competing for the top of the class.

SC

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 10:04
I've been liking what I've read about this car so far. It only comes with the performance pack in Canada and it goes for about 35K so it's 6-7k more than an Si and about 6-7k less than a Type R. The performance split is about the same too. It punches higher than the FoST, Si, GTI class but a bit below the CTR,RS and Golf R. I do like Hyundai's focus on the driving experience over the stats/numbers game. And it seems to have paid off based on the driving impressions I've read so far. Even though they haven't been hyping up acceleration numbers or track times it has been putting up decent numbers anyway so that is a plus. I also still like the customization options they give you to really tailor your drive to your tastes. More so than the preset modes in the Hondas.

I do wish they brought over either the i30N hatch or sportback so we could get some of that 5 door usability as well. For people who don't need that practicality this seems to be a great option. I'm looking forward to testing one out as soon as I can. I'd like to see how it stacks up to the other hot FWDs I've driven. I'm curious to see how the eLSD compares to the mechanical units I've experienced in the Si for example.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 11:29
They should really consider just bringing over the i30 and turn the Veloster into a coupe.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 11:40
notyper wrote:
outersquare wrote:

Sounds like Hyundai got the price right. Although to be fair to get it properly spec'd means you spend $29,885 with the performance package upgrade.

Still, that undercuts the CTR, Golf-R and Focus RS by a relatively huge margin. And frankly, it probably has to. The N still has to start with the base Veloster, which is far inferior to the Civic and Golf in many ways. That said, I think at sub-$30k they'll sell every one they make and it will go a long way toward moving Hyundai's performance cred up a couple of notches. And when the N-team (which is populated by some pretty strong people) gets ahold of a next gen platform which they have some input into before production, I expect they'll competing for the top of the class.

SC

I was conversing with one of the journalists who was also in attendance at the Acura full line event a few weeks ago. He had recently driven the Veloster N and had a lot of very positive things to say about it.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 12:21
Quite a deal.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 13:17
KaySee wrote:
I've been liking what I've read about this car so far. It only comes with the performance pack in Canada and it goes for about 35K so it's 6-7k more than an Si and about 6-7k less than a Type R. The performance split is about the same too. It punches higher than the FoST, Si, GTI class but a bit below the CTR,RS and Golf R. I do like Hyundai's focus on the driving experience over the stats/numbers game. And it seems to have paid off based on the driving impressions I've read so far. Even though they haven't been hyping up acceleration numbers or track times it has been putting up decent numbers anyway so that is a plus. I also still like the customization options they give you to really tailor your drive to your tastes. More so than the preset modes in the Hondas.

I do wish they brought over either the i30N hatch or sportback so we could get some of that 5 door usability as well. For people who don't need that practicality this seems to be a great option. I'm looking forward to testing one out as soon as I can. I'd like to see how it stacks up to the other hot FWDs I've driven. I'm curious to see how the eLSD compares to the mechanical units I've experienced in the Si for example.

This is exactly where a 2.0T Si should be slotted, but I guess that's a pipe dream.

As for the drive mode customization, I do wish Honda allowed you to go a la carte on that (or at least pick and choose what happens in each mode), but to be truthful, with my FlashPro I can fully customize the torque (throttle) response in each of the 3 modes, to my exact liking. The FlashPro is a must have for the added performance, so having this customization ability is the icing on the cake.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 15:32
JeffX wrote:
KaySee wrote:

This is exactly where a 2.0T Si should be slotted, but I guess that's a pipe dream.

As for the drive mode customization, I do wish Honda allowed you to go a la carte on that (or at least pick and choose what happens in each mode), but to be truthful, with my FlashPro I can fully customize the torque (throttle) response in each of the 3 modes, to my exact liking. The FlashPro is a must have for the added performance, so having this customization ability is the icing on the cake.

Lol my original post got deleted but yeah I actually mentioned that too about how a 2.0T "SiR" variant would match up against this nicely and I would prefer the Honda motor and engineering over this FOR SURE. That said, for about 7K less the current Si still acquits very well considering the downsized motor.

I didn't make a post about this yet, but after talking with you about a few things regarding track prep I ended up tracking the Si on Oct 29th. I resolved not to got 10/10ths so I didn't do any high temp brake fluid actually, and it was a chilly day so that helped as well.

It was a blast. I'm still on the stock all seasons but I have lighter Enkei wheels, plus a CAI and exhaust. I just jumped right on to the track otherwise and despite the comparatively low grip I had a great time tossing the car around. I was going hard but not to the point where I got brake fade and I could leave the car in third for large portions of lower speed sections compared to Hondas I've taken there before. I'll leave my other impressions for another time but basically, I had an amazing time, I was all smiles.

Bringing it back to what you mentioned about the flashpro, I have one set up to match the minimal mods I have now. In normal mode it acts like stock and in Sport I should have in the neighbourhood of 235-250HP(maybe a little less, but going by my butt dyno that feels like the range). But I 100% agree with what you are saying. Having the tuning module is almost a prerequisite with these cars even on a basic level of involvement. The Hondas may not have all the customizing built in. But with the tuning device we can technically have the ability to change more parameters in some respects than what comes with the N car. Like you mentioned before the down side is that you have to reflash the car every time you want to change something. Ktuner lets you do some of that on the fly at least, so that's an option too. But I still went with hondata because I trust their work and from past experiences.

I'll also add, even in the stock mode the car was very entertaining on the track and a few cars with higher power had to wave me past. Especially when I let one of the marshalls drive it(kinda regret doing that now lol). I was the only guy around with two baby seats in the back blasting down that circuit. Then I picked up some groceries on the way home. It's definitely a versatile car that adapts well to what a family obligated enthusiast might throw at it. Again, good times.

Not sure what the prospects are for an i30N variant but that's definitely when Hyundai gets more of my attention for a potential next car.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 16:04
The lovely i30N:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0XsjiCBc38

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 18:42
NealX wrote:
The lovely i30N:

Neat car. Thanks for the link. LOTS of potential here; more than the Veloster N, IMHO. https://youtu.be/yNy4qD3Qk-U

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 18:54
NealX wrote:
The lovely i30N:

Sometimes, it's not a matter of quantity, but quality and style!

I've been thinking that the wife won't buy the CTR and I can't seem to find a Linn Lingo 2 or 3, but I can always get this for my Christmas:

https://youtu.be/hYC0GXJj2gQ

neuronbob
Profile for neuronbob
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2018 22:02
I'm sorry. I just can't get past the looks. It is not pretty at all. I'm sure it's a fabulous drive, though.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2018 04:32
NealX wrote:
The lovely i30N:

The i30N would be just about right.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2018 10:46
Veloster Turbo vs. Civic Si Coupe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXMC9fT13-s

Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2018 10:26
I hope the steering is much improved. The steering of the previous-generation Veloster Turbo is some of the worst I have ever encountered. Artificial heft for no logical reason and overboost when moving it even a centimeter off center.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0