[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
More.......................
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
More.......................
American Honda Reports October Sales
More.......................
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
More.......................
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
More.......................
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
More.......................
CR-V --> Re: 2019 RAV4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Climate pre-conditioning
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Carlos Ghosn arrested! He gone
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Grinch "Takeover". Thoughts?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Type S Announcment at LA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Need a good shop in South SF
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Japanese Auto Manufacturers want two rules changes
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news (CRF450L RALLY)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 12:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The CB650R completes the Neo-Sports Cafe trio (300/650/1000):

https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-cb650r-continues-hondas-neo-retro-lineup

I really like the way these bikes look and it seems like the mechanical improvements are significant. Europe also has a 125 neo sports naked bike...

The CBR650R is the sport bike twin of the naked CB:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2018/november/honda-cbr650r-2019-unveiled/

Gets all the same mechanical updates I think.

The 500 lineup of F/R/X all get updates with the 500X seeming to get the most attention:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/11/06/2019-honda-cb500x-first-look-8-fast-facts/

Somewhat disappointing that there isn't a bit more "neo-sports cafe" here - the "F" looks pretty generic to me personally.

And last but certainly not least, Jalopnik nailed it here:

https://jalopnik.com/hondas-new-retro-future-small-bore-concept-bikes-are-to-1830269610

These are amazing looking little bikes. Look at this thing:



The color blocking and the headlamp are just wonderful.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 13:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The ADV market is going to be tough even with the 500X updates; although Honda has some time before having to compete against the new KTM mid-weight Enduros and Yamaha's delayed Tenere 700. It's a good option for shorter riders and the 19" wheel will help a lot offroad. What I WISH is that the CB500X looks like the CB125X design study. The "F" variant is what it's always looked like- thank god Honda is moving away from the waspy street fighter look.

The CB650R looks really good, but I'm hoping it's priced competitively against the XSR700.

I gotta say, I'm pretty happy that Honda is putting a lot of effort into design, even bring the neo cafe concepts to life. If they bring the ADV styling of the CB125X to their lineup that would be excellent. The only real complaint I have is that their 500 series of engines could stand from a displacement and power bump.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 13:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I definitely agree on the looks of the 500 line. It seems like Honda has a lot of strong design ideas now and the 500 updates just donít seem very inspired. The 125x is awesome looking:




CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 13:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Non-Honda related, but BMW apparently added their "shiftcam" variable valve technology to the S1000RR (another class where Honda sorely needs massive updates).

I always thought it was interesting because it uses a two-lobe design like Honda's VTEC, but instead of locking lobes together, it shifts the entire camshaft back and forth. Those mad lads!


Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 13:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Stupid music...

That's a similar system to M-B's Camtronic. I wonder which supplier owns it?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 15:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
The CB650R completes the Neo-Sports Cafe trio (300/650/1000):

https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-cb650r-continues-hondas-neo-retro-lineup

I really like the way these bikes look and it seems like the mechanical improvements are significant. Europe also has a 125 neo sports naked bike...

The CBR650R is the sport bike twin of the naked CB:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2018/november/honda-cbr650r-2019-unveiled/

Gets all the same mechanical updates I think.

The 500 lineup of F/R/X all get updates with the 500X seeming to get the most attention:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/11/06/2019-honda-cb500x-first-look-8-fast-facts/

Somewhat disappointing that there isn't a bit more "neo-sports cafe" here - the "F" looks pretty generic to me personally.

And last but certainly not least, Jalopnik nailed it here:

https://jalopnik.com/hondas-new-retro-future-small-bore-concept-bikes-are-to-1830269610

These are amazing looking little bikes. Look at this thing:



The color blocking and the headlamp are just wonderful.



Wow, if you chrome the front panel you can call it the Power Plenum and sell the bike as an Acura.

Maximania
Profile for Maximania
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2018 23:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm glad you found this, I was thinking of posting something. That CB650R is the one I'm excited about. A good mid level "retro style" bike. I might pick one up some day. After seeing the 1000 and the 300, I was hoping for this next.

And that CBR650R looks sweet, like the new Fireblade. I wonder why it received the latest design treatment over the 600RR. I dig it though

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 11:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Probably because the middle weight supersport class has been dead for years. I think motorcycle trends have pivoted for some time now away from Power Rangers on crotch rockets to Hipsters on cafe racers, and in general people don't want to spend $11K+ on a middleweight supersport anymore. People *are* willing to spend $16K+ on a liter(+)bike, but only if they are compelling options, for which Honda has apparently chosen not to play in.

The real meat in the market is in the $7-$9K, mid-displacement range. The 650s are now much more compelling because they split the difference between Yamaha's 700 and 900cc ranges and have fixed the styling and poor equipment levels, so I'm actually kind of excited about Honda's prospects for once.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 12:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CarPhreakD wrote:
The ADV market is going to be tough even with the 500X updates; although Honda has some time before having to compete against the new KTM mid-weight Enduros and Yamaha's delayed Tenere 700. It's a good option for shorter riders and the 19" wheel will help a lot offroad. What I WISH is that the CB500X looks like the CB125X design study. The "F" variant is what it's always looked like- thank god Honda is moving away from the waspy street fighter look.

The CB650R looks really good, but I'm hoping it's priced competitively against the XSR700.

I gotta say, I'm pretty happy that Honda is putting a lot of effort into design, even bring the neo cafe concepts to life. If they bring the ADV styling of the CB125X to their lineup that would be excellent. The only real complaint I have is that their 500 series of engines could stand from a displacement and power bump.



The pricing for the CB650R looks to be:

$8,899
$9,199 with ABS

Looks like the Yamaha is $8,499 w/ABS standard.

I guess I'd call that competitive.

And I'm still confused by the nomenclature and sizing differences abounding in them motorcycle industry and how they relate to the hierarchy of performance and price. My best guess for Honda:

125/300: single cylinder ("thumpers")

500: parallel twin - but a lot of makes have a lot more displacement (like 650 for Yamaha or 850 for BMW).

Inline fours: 650-1000 for Honda.

So a 600 or bigger parallel twin for Honda would be very welcome it seems?

Would that impinge upon the 650CC inline four at all though? Do people compare parallel twin bikes to inline four bikes? Does it matter?

(I admit to being a complete novice here BTW.)

RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 13:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
The ADV market is going to be tough even with the 500X updates; although Honda has some time before having to compete against the new KTM mid-weight Enduros and Yamaha's delayed Tenere 700. It's a good option for shorter riders and the 19" wheel will help a lot offroad. What I WISH is that the CB500X looks like the CB125X design study. The "F" variant is what it's always looked like- thank god Honda is moving away from the waspy street fighter look.

The CB650R looks really good, but I'm hoping it's priced competitively against the XSR700.

I gotta say, I'm pretty happy that Honda is putting a lot of effort into design, even bring the neo cafe concepts to life. If they bring the ADV styling of the CB125X to their lineup that would be excellent. The only real complaint I have is that their 500 series of engines could stand from a displacement and power bump.



The pricing for the CB650R looks to be:

$8,899
$9,199 with ABS

Looks like the Yamaha is $8,499 w/ABS standard.

I guess I'd call that competitive.

And I'm still confused by the nomenclature and sizing differences abounding in them motorcycle industry and how they relate to the hierarchy of performance and price. My best guess for Honda:

125/300: single cylinder ("thumpers")

500: parallel twin - but a lot of makes have a lot more displacement (like 650 for Yamaha or 850 for BMW).

Inline fours: 650-1000 for Honda.

So a 600 or bigger parallel twin for Honda would be very welcome it seems?

Would that impinge upon the 650CC inline four at all though? Do people compare parallel twin bikes to inline four bikes? Does it matter?

(I admit to being a complete novice here BTW.)



Actually, Honda has really gone to the inline twin for a lot of their larger bikes lately, including their 750cc and 1000cc adventure bikes. Sometimes simplicity works well in specialty bikes where engine performance alone is not the main focus.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 14:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Thanks RSX I didn't even look at the adventure models - so they clearly have the ability to upsize their parallel twin engines.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2018 14:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The NC750 engine is kind of a snoozer, so it's suited to daily driving with good fuel economy (it has been compared to the L-series engine in terms of geometry back when it was still a 700). Different character from Yamaha's twin. A revamp of that engine would be quite welcome to be honest, I want to see Honda make a balls to the wall fun engine instead of one with a 'safe' powerband.

The use of a twin makes the bike lighter, cheaper, less powerful (less revs and more torque). So depending on the bike's mission statement (non super-sport) it's the better choice. For the CBR650R it makes perfect sense. For an Africa Twin it makes no sense to have a inline 4. For the CB650R, you can probably go either way but the I4 is definitely gives the bike a more 'premium' than 'hooligan' vibe.

The midrange inline 4 market has almost completely died out when supersports left, so Honda's 650 retro-future UJM styling is actually pretty unique. I REALLY hope it sells well.

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: Bunch of Motorcycle news (CRF450L RALLY)    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2018 16:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://riders.drivemag.com/news/honda-crf450l-rally-concept-stunning-road-legal-dakar-bike

No press release no nothing.

But this seems like pretty big news.


 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0