[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2020 Corolla Revealed
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interview Max Verstappen on F1 and Watches & the new TAG Heuer Verstappen Edition
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 Advance Squeaks and Camera Issues
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
CB77
Profile for CB77
Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2018 17:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Well, after months of bitching about how much I hate the new Accord (no more sweet V6...gaping oversized grille)...I finally succumbed last Saturday and came home with a 2.0T Touring. Traded in my trusty EX-L V6 Nav and used my American Honda Employee discount, along with the $1,000 that Honda has laid on the hood of this car, to get the price where I wanted it.

Some thoughts on the new car. The Turbo 4 is quite a bit better than I had expected, still do not like the exhaust note, but it flat flies when the boost comes up. I am not getting the 4-cylinder-induced hood shake, as others here have mentioned. This car was delivered to the dealership in late September, so perhaps Honda has made some running-changes in it to fix the hood shake. I remain skeptical that this car will beat my V6 on fuel economy. Depends wholly on how much I can stay out of the boost.

The car has a ton of electronic goodies, perhaps overkill I think, making it overly hard to learn and use them. Lots of potential for electronic gremlins to pop up as the mileage rises, and probably beyond the ability of the dealership to fix.

The GPS was better in my previous car...more intuitive and a better map. Also the Honda Sensing has replaced the little camera that was mounted just below the right side mirror, which you could pull up its picture to check that lane before making a maneuver into it. That camera was MUCH better than this new set up. It allowed you to see someone coming up on the right at high speed, so you could avoid pulling out in front of them, whereas Sensing does not do that effectively. As the British like to say "Change is Certain...Progress is Not".

I may write more, as I get more acquainted with this car.

vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2018 19:28
Congrats on the move. I'm in the same boat. 2013 EX-L V6 Navi.

I just can't get past the taillights. It really is a stow stopper for me.

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2018 20:18
Congrats and good luck with your new purchase. I have a 9th generation in the same trim and color. I've complained about previous generations of Accords (7th and 8th) and later they ended up growing on me. I've tried and tried, but the rear of the 10th just leaves me shaking my head every time I see it. May I ask why you traded the 9th? I upgraded my wheels, but even before I did that, I'd still look back as I walked away from the car... It's just a clean and classy design with a touch of sport. It will be a while before I part with mine.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2018 21:13
The mileage had risen to 79,500...and when I bought that car, the salesman said I needed to trade before 90,000 to avoid a big drop in trade-in value. Also, the past couple of weeks, the starter had acted up on that car, not engaging properly (like the Bendix mechanism was going out) this is about a $700-$800 repair if done at a Honda dealer...plus I did not want my wife to get stranded.

So, I figured I might as well apply that $800 to my purchase of this car (plus my tag license was due on 10/31).

I understand and agree with you about the tail lights, I just don't know what Honda is thinking. Perhaps too many ex-GM people have been hired by Honda. And Yes, I do miss the V6...loved the silky, electric-motor power delivery. Hold on to yours as long as you can.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2018 22:02
Congratulations, CB. Both of the Accords look pretty sharp there. It took me a minute to notice the photos of your old Accord were from when you bought it.

Enjoy your new car. Life is short. I'm holding out with my older Accord for now but my have-to go-to replacement car is probably a new Accord similar to yours. And, yes, my 8G Accord is showing its age more and more. The positive thought I've had about the taillamps on the new car being difficult to overlook is the person following you will probably be looking at them when you need to hit the brakes.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the 10-spd transmission.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2018 22:23
Regarding your question on the tranny...so far, so good. Being a 10-speed, I was concerned that it might be constantly searching for the right ratio. I have not noticed it doing that...or if it IS doing that, it is doing it very unobtrusively. Have played with the paddle shifters just a little bit, they will be of more use (and more fun) to use during spirited driving on a twisty stretch of highway. There goes the gas mileage...Ha!

I usually drive up to Eureka Springs Arkansas at the end of October, to observe the Fall color. That is about a 1,000 mile round trip, so that will give me a chance to get more acquainted with the car. I am looking forward to that trip. Will let you know how that goes, and what kind of mileage I get on that trip.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2018 22:26
Congrats on the new Accord!
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2018 00:07
Congratulations on the new car. I wait to read how you think the general pull of the turbo motor compares with the V6 in your previous car? Having a daily driver turbo diesel, I always find when occasionally driving the wife's V6 Accord, that the V6 lacks that "well" of torque a turbo motor delivers as boost spools in. Also find the auto tends to hunt a bit in comparison to the 7DCT in my Audi. Be interesting to see your thoughts?

Nice photo of I presume your better half and you? :)

I don't need to drive far to see autumn colour [6 months away from your fall season of course]. I planted some colourfull trees in our back yard a while ago.

tom3690
Profile for tom3690
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2018 09:24
CB77 congratulations on your new Accord, it looks a great car. Like you I find modern tech quite excessive and hard to fathom! Maybe my age...
Loving the autumn colours or as you all incorrectly refer to the season .... Fall 😀😀

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2018 10:58

Yes...I find many of the new electronic doo-dads added to the new Accord to be unnecessary and as I said, a likely source of vexing, expensive problems in the future. The electric parking brake and push-button gear selector really are not needed.

I think there is a big amount of "keeping up with the Joneses" going on here...with Honda saying "Well, Toyota did it...so we better do it, too". Mr. Honda would not be amused.

One glaring oversight that I forgot to mention. My last Accord had the memory driver's seat, that would automatically adjust the driver's seat position to that preference stored by both drivers, which the car could recognize by the key fob each driver carried. But...it did not include automatic side-mirror and rear-view mirror adjustment, which would have been very nice. I thought sure that with all the whiz-bangery that was added to this new Accord, that this mirror adjustment feature would certainly be added...it was not. I would give away 3 or 4 of those unnecessary electronic goodies, to get this mirror feature.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2018 12:01
I would love to know what percentage of Accords sold are Modern Steel, definitely a popular color for Accords. Strange its so popular over two generations.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2018 16:06

That's actually the color we wanted when we bought our previous Accord...but the dealer was totally out, so we settled on white. I think the Modern Steel Metallic looks especially good on the new Accords.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2018 18:34
And yet Toyota doesn’t have stuff like memory seats or factory remote-start on the Camry at any price.

You do get the ability to point the mirrors downward while in Reverse—it doesn’t retain that setting with the seat setting, as you stated.

I’m hoping to arrange an extended test-drive (couple days) of a 2.0T-equipped Accord before I actually pull the trigger next spring or summer. I’m hoping that the overall experience, while not that of a V6, is as satisfying as an F22-equipped 4th-Gen Accord from 1991 or so.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2018 22:10

I wonder if they might fix the tail lights on the 2019 Accord...making them less offensive. If so, I will be furious with myself for not waiting.

But it seems unlikely that we will see any sheet metal changes on the 2019, this early in this car's life cycle. Famous last words.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 13:02
CB77 wrote:

I wonder if they might fix the tail lights on the 2019 Accord...making them less offensive. If so, I will be furious with myself for not waiting.

But it seems unlikely that we will see any sheet metal changes on the 2019, this early in this car's life cycle. Famous last words.

If it’s any indication, College Hills Honda’s Accessory site is listing now states “2018-2019 Accord.” Although I can’t imagine what would change back there if they nip-tucked the “claw.” Is that area lit, or just a reflector?

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 14:52

The lower part of the "claw" illuminates with the rest of the tail lights. While the upper part of the claw, houses additional brake lights and the backup lights. But I really do not see why any of these lights have to extend into the trunk lid. Although this is getting very common from all makers. I liked the very clean, simple treatment of the original G8 Accord...before they did that ridiculous MMC, where they added reflectors to the trunk lid. Looked like someone went to Home Depot and bought self-adhesive mailbox reflectors.

Yeah...not a good sign with that 2018-19 catalogue already being out for the Accord. Unless they are just speculating.

SiamSi
Profile for SiamSi
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 15:50
I haven't posted in a while, mainly because of the amount of attacks and the obsession of several people on this site to "Always be right"! I'm ready for the insults, so here it goes:
I purchased Type R #331 in June of 2017. I could NOT control myself driving it, always wanting to go very fast.
Cornering and brakes shocked me. Incredible performance car. The R is a definite track day car, and I live 250 miles from a good one. Sooooo…. with only 2,300 miles on it, I traded for a 2018 Accord 2.0T, Modern Steel with dark gray interior. I also got a check for $1,500 from
the dealer and paid no sales tax.
The Accord is totally awesome. 10 speed is a brilliant transmission. Not close to Type R handling (Nothing is!)but a total sleeper performance car. I am more than happy with making the trade. I had enough fun with the Type R and still have my 2006 Si with 31,000 miles, like new. It provides plenty of fun for me and the 8,000 rpm redline and performance are still fantastic.
Most fun I've had with the Accord is pulling away from my nephew in his 2016 Accord Touring V-6 on the interstate. It really bothers him!
This engine/automatic in the Civic Si would be a sales hit!!

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 16:34

Congratulations on your Accord purchase, Siam. This should allow your driver's license to cool off a little...Ha!

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 19:45
Geez Siam, $1500 cash when there’s about $8k market value difference? The dealer must do back flips every time you come in now.

But I 100% agree with your comments. The Accord 2.0T is a livable CTR. I beat the hell out of mine and average 31mpg. The boost comes on quick and hard, and the tunes already out for it are legit. It’s reasonably comfy and I don’t really care where I park or what my kids do inside of it. I’d be a nervous wreck with a CTR.

however, IT NEEDS AN LSD. 16k miles and I’m already more than halfway through my original tires. I’m in constant fear of lighting them up when pulling out infront of traffic.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 20:41

Yes...very easy to light the tires up. Much easier than my beloved V6. "Gee Mr. Wizard...today are we gonna learn about torque?"

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 23:05
So I know it's early days, but do you prefer the way the V6 drove, day to day in traffic, or are you finding the 2.0T more "easy to live with" if not more enjoyable??
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-25-2018 11:12

Yes, Sadlerau...I must admit that the 2.0T is pretty fun to drive. The almost instant low-down torque is handy in traffic when you need a sudden burst of acceleration to dart into a hole in traffic, or to merge into fast freeway traffic. This is something that the "sweet V6" (as I refer to it) did not do as well...you had to get the revs up to get that performance.

I guess what I miss about the V6 is the good exhaust note (a fetish of mine) and the silky power delivery. I used to race motorcycles (Hondas of course) and was very attracted to their high-revving engines...a taste that I developed back then that remains with me today. Indeed, I have fretted to watch Honda's evolution from a maker of "screamer" engines, now to low-rpm, low-redline engines. A consequence I suppose, of tight emissions and fuel economy standards. A necessity for Honda to comply with those standards, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

So, to answer your question, I AM finding the 2.0T pretty easy to live with...and in some ways, pretty enjoyable.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-25-2018 13:15
CB77 wrote:

Yes, Sadlerau...I must admit that the 2.0T is pretty fun to drive. The almost instant low-down torque is handy in traffic when you need a sudden burst of acceleration to dart into a hole in traffic, or to merge into fast freeway traffic. This is something that the "sweet V6" (as I refer to it) did not do as well...you had to get the revs up to get that performance.

I guess what I miss about the V6 is the good exhaust note (a fetish of mine) and the silky power delivery. I used to race motorcycles (Hondas of course) and was very attracted to their high-revving engines...a taste that I developed back then that remains with me today. Indeed, I have fretted to watch Honda's evolution from a maker of "screamer" engines, now to low-rpm, low-redline engines. A consequence I suppose, of tight emissions and fuel economy standards. A necessity for Honda to comply with those standards, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

So, to answer your question, I AM finding the 2.0T pretty easy to live with...and in some ways, pretty enjoyable.

21 miles!

What kind of Honda Motorcycle is it?

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-25-2018 16:26

The instruments are from a 1975 CB400F (4-cylinder 400cc bike). One of my favorite Honda motorcycles. Had one back then, but sadly let it go...which I regret, as I regret most of the bikes I have sold over the years.

It had one of the sexiest exhausts that Honda has ever made...or any other maker, for that matter. It made sweet music at 10K.

Maxtierney
Profile for Maxtierney
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-25-2018 16:29
superchg2 wrote:
CB77 wrote:

21 miles!

What kind of Honda Motorcycle is it?

Looks like a Honda CB400.

magueto
Profile for magueto
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-25-2018 17:10
CB77 wrote:

Sorry to interrupt, but I miss my V6, badly, for those things in life I changed my Accord V6 for a CRV 1.5T, a change that I regret every time that I put my foot on the right pedal, the CRV is a nice car, nice materials, and a lot of tech for the money, but that engine is one of the crappiest things Honda ever did, that thing do nothing, but nothing under 2500 rpm, after 2500 the power jump suddenly and is not linear, something really "dangerous" in a city and traffic driving.

I need to go and test the Accord to see if the 2.0T fit my driving style, or wait 2 more years for the new Pilot or something with a V6.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-25-2018 17:29

Maybe the 2.0T has a little more "Umph" to it when it is off-boost, than the 1.5T does. Haven't driven a 1.5, so I have no basis for comparison.

This makes me think of the difference between Honda's first 2 Turbo motorcycles. The CX500T (500cc) was their first venture...and it was very gutless off-boost. The second year they enlarged it to the CX650T (650cc) and the transformation was unbelievable...and incredibly fast and fun-to-ride motorcycle.

I assume your CRV has a CVT transmission (which I avoided in my purchase). I wonder if that transmission could be adding to your problem? I have only used a CVT transmission in motorcycles and ATVs...but I didn't like them there. Perhaps they are better in Honda's auto applications. Just a thought.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-26-2018 01:08
magueto wrote:
CB77 wrote:

Sorry to interrupt, but I miss my V6, badly, for those things in life I changed my Accord V6 for a CRV 1.5T, a change that I regret every time that I put my foot on the right pedal, the CRV is a nice car, nice materials, and a lot of tech for the money, but that engine is one of the crappiest things Honda ever did, that thing do nothing, but nothing under 2500 rpm, after 2500 the power jump suddenly and is not linear, something really "dangerous" in a city and traffic driving.

I need to go and test the Accord to see if the 2.0T fit my driving style, or wait 2 more years for the new Pilot or something with a V6.

The 1.5T is significantly different than the 2.0T. You are correct about the surge in power with the 1.5T above about 2500-3000RPM. I thought the CVT in the CRV did a pretty good job of masking it by being able to get the revs where they needed to be when compared to an MT application (Civic Si) of the same engine.

The Accord is MUCH more powerful and MUCH more linear. I don't know that it is quite as sweet as the V6, but it definitely lives up to Honda's reputation for building the best 4 banger in the business. It also is a rocket with the 10AT because the transmission uses the really low first couple of gears to get it into boost and then the taller gears keep it there. I also found the responsiveness of the transmission in the Accord (10AT) to be really good. I haven't been able to drive a 6MT because those are now rarer than hens' teeth. I definitely have some things I love more about the V6, but the Accord 2.0T had be very tempted to switch.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-26-2018 08:15
Looks great - love the color and wheels! Enjoy!

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-26-2018 08:53
The 1.5T in the CRV should be very slow off the line due to its weight. I think it does it's job just fine in my Accord, the weight difference is quite significant.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0