[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2020 Corolla Revealed
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interview Max Verstappen on F1 and Watches & the new TAG Heuer Verstappen Edition
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 Advance Squeaks and Camera Issues
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Clarity > > Re: Clarity PHEV Owner

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-09-2018 14:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
4,200+ miles and filled up gas tank once so far. I think I have used about 9 gallons of gasoline total.

A-pillar cover driver side was rattling. Looks like not really installed flush into the dashboard like the other side. I pressed it and is mostly silent now. Benefit of my first lease is I don't care enough to spend the time fixing their car.

Radio presets have returned to the default 3 times. Looked a bit online and no one really knows why, but there are others with same issue. One person says radio module (not the screen itself) which is in the back of the car was changed on his car and it solved it (think it was a CR-V). Beats me. I also had issue with XM not letting me go to anything but the presets. Found some convoluted setting online to get the ability to go to non-presets. XM is now expired.

I really like the car though. Not only is car pool saving me time on freeway, but its more relaxing driving trunk to tail elephant style. Not hitting the guy in front of me is the only concern. Self driving is frightening, with the car controlling braking, acceleration and steering. LA freeways too crowded to get used to thinking the car WILL STOP on its own. Its more stressful than just driving myself.
Looking forward to future cars chauffeuring me, so I have time to reset the presets on the radio.

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 15:23
GoFaster wrote:
4,200+ miles and filled up gas tank once so far. I think I have used about 9 gallons of gasoline total.

A-pillar cover driver side was rattling. Looks like not really installed flush into the dashboard like the other side. I pressed it and is mostly silent now. Benefit of my first lease is I don't care enough to spend the time fixing their car.

Radio presets have returned to the default 3 times. Looked a bit online and no one really knows why, but there are others with same issue. One person says radio module (not the screen itself) which is in the back of the car was changed on his car and it solved it (think it was a CR-V). Beats me. I also had issue with XM not letting me go to anything but the presets. Found some convoluted setting online to get the ability to go to non-presets. XM is now expired.

I really like the car though. Not only is car pool saving me time on freeway, but its more relaxing driving trunk to tail elephant style. Not hitting the guy in front of me is the only concern. Self driving is frightening, with the car controlling braking, acceleration and steering. LA freeways too crowded to get used to thinking the car WILL STOP on its own. Its more stressful than just driving myself.
Looking forward to future cars chauffeuring me, so I have time to reset the presets on the radio.

I bought my Clarity PHEV exactly two weeks ago.. been back to the dealership twice already. The rattle as you were discribing, for my car and lots of others on the Clarity fourm is the tweeter speakers on the A-pillar. They were able to fix that on the first visit. My other issue is the constant wind / howling noise coming from the passenger side small A-pillar window. They said they fixed it the first time but it was not. Had to bring it back for the second time, they've kept my car for 2 days on each visit.

Had to fight for a free loaner car, as supposedly Honda only offer shuttle service unless they keep your car for more than 2 days. That's one thing I miss about Acura, you get free loaner car on any service/warranty work.

4,200+ miles on 1 tank, that's pretty impressive. I'm at 425 miles and used a little more than 1/4 of a tank.. the dealership used most of it because of the testing for the rattle and wind noise.. they delpeted the battery and used my gas.. I told them to charge it instead of using the gas but they were clueless as to where the 220v charger was on the premises.

Overall, I really like the car, my current loaner is a 2017 Accord V6 Touring, it's nice but I like the Clarity more. Can't wait to get my car back..I'm alittle shocked by the quality of a Japanese built Honda, my Japanese built RL never had any squeak or rattle issues...

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 15:38
Oh on EV mode, I think the EPA/Honda underestimated the battery range at 47. I've been average about 56 Miles per charge, best was 61 miles.

I charge at work for free on the 110v outlet, when I have meetings at the airport security office, they have a 220v chargepoint for free. Meeting are usually an hour long so I get about 20 miles for free each time I go over there.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2018 18:01
Driving electric is so smooth that it is possible I will always have some electrification in my cars from now on. I get in an ICE and it seems so unrefined. It must be the feeling people had with 1950s cars and then jumping into someone's Model A. Yeah, its a car but all of that noise and harshness make it feel so backwards.

I am not talking about saving polar bears, just the actual feel of electric is enjoyable. The most surprising upside to the Clarity is how well tuned the low speed parking lot boosted steering is compared to the freeway tighter feel. It couldn't be a better best of both worlds. Maybe not so special to people that drive a lot of cars, but for me cars where either HEAVY steering or sloppy steering. This is new to me.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 18:43
GoFaster wrote:
Driving electric is so smooth that it is possible I will always have some electrification in my cars from now on. I get in an ICE and it seems so unrefined. It must be the feeling people had with 1950s cars and then jumping into someone's Model A. Yeah, its a car but all of that noise and harshness make it feel so backwards.

I am not talking about saving polar bears, just the actual feel of electric is enjoyable. The most surprising upside to the Clarity is how well tuned the low speed parking lot boosted steering is compared to the freeway tighter feel. It couldn't be a better best of both worlds. Maybe not so special to people that drive a lot of cars, but for me cars where either HEAVY steering or sloppy steering. This is new to me.

YES!!!

Once you've driven a car with an reasonably sized electric motor driving the wheels it's really hard to come back to an ICE with a transmission.

I've gotten cloberred in these forums by people who keep telling me that their Honda V6 are far more powerful, yaddah, yaddah... but they won't get at the wheel of a Honda EV car and give it a try.

The immediate throttle response and deep down torque are very addicting.. there is a FLUIDITY of drive that is amazing.

This goes for all Honda EV cars, the iMMD cars, the PHEV (iMMD), the BEV and FCEV.

However, only the last two go the last mile and (*) offer you that complete isolation from vibration of the ICE. It's really amazing to cruise at 80 mph in such a quiet cabin.

And, watch out, because if you give it too much power off the line pulling out of a parking lot, the inside front tire will start to slip...

Oh yeah... it's funny over at Green Car Reports, because I don't really give a hoot about saving polar bears and my attitude towards Global Warming.... I just like HOW IT DRIVES..

BTW, you ought to see if you can find someone who'll let your drive a Tesla X or S. Those things have awesome power (and crappy ergonomics).

(*) OK, the PHEV will do it too but for less range.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2018 15:11
Second fillup. 5.89 gallons, first was 6.01 gallons. Mileage at the time was 6,024. Yep 506 mpg.

Biggest complaint is now 7 times the radio presets get reset to factory presets. Seems to be static coming through, then they are gone. Don't know if I happen to be driving under live high tension wires and something is not shielded or not grounded.

I have not brought it to the dealer, because I would like to actually know what the issue is, because others have had radio replaced and it still happens to theirs. Most have never had the issue.

I don't see a service bulletin for it.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2018 09:37
6,500 miles and A1 Service Maintenance Minder on the dash appeared. Oil change and tire rotation. The engine has run 12 gallons of gasoline through it over 6 months. Am I the only one that doesn't think the oil needs to be changed?

I doubt this calculation would be missed by Honda, I wonder if there isn't some sort of break in additive that now needs to be removed? Well, I look forward to 13,000 miles to see what happens.

Twiz
Profile for Twiz
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-15-2018 13:09
GoFaster wrote:
6,500 miles and A1 Service Maintenance Minder on the dash appeared. Oil change and tire rotation. The engine has run 12 gallons of gasoline through it over 6 months. Am I the only one that doesn't think the oil needs to be changed?

I doubt this calculation would be missed by Honda, I wonder if there isn't some sort of break in additive that now needs to be removed? Well, I look forward to 13,000 miles to see what happens.

I would replace it since the initial oil is break-in oil.. After that I would just replace it once a year considering how low your engine cycle is.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-18-2018 14:32
GoFaster wrote:

So you're driving to work mostly using the battery?

Are you still charging it at home? Per my calculations ( Honda claims 12 hours), you should be able to fill up the 17Kwh battery overnight on a 120v circuit... but if you drain the battery every day, then you're looking at 17x31= 527Kwh for the month!!! That's a LOT of juice -but nothing like a Tesla BEV.

Did you switch to a metered/timed plan? How much did it cost you to run the AC during July and August? I'm on a plain vanilla plan, so my older systems ran me an extra 400 bucks total for those two months. I figure inland you ran the AC longer and harder.

I really, really need to get out of this State. We'll see what happens on the election. If that Commie takes out Mimi, we're fuckin' out of Calimexistan as soon as we can.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-19-2018 10:55
I am still using 120v. My 40 mile commute each way can be done on all electric. It takes anywhere from 10-13.* kWh for the one way commute I changed my home to TOU-D-A which is 13 cents / kWh 10p - 8a. So home charging pretty frugal $1.50 ish. The public charger is 25 cents per kWh, so anywhere from $2.86 to $3.40. Driving in 80mph (5am) uses a noticeable amount more electricity than 65mph.

I also run the whisper quiet pool pump, washer/dryer, dishwasher, during that time to take full advantage of lower rates. I am actually paying LESS per month even with charging the car 2 or 3 times a week (I can work from home many days).

So as far as the electric company goes the rates of 8a-2p 27cents, 2-8p 36 cents, 8p-10p 27 cents, 10p - 8a 13 cents is only part of the equation. The rest is so convoluted I have no idea. Here is what it says.

Daily Basic Charge: 3 cents per day, Minimum Daily Charge 34 cents, Baseline Credit: 8 cents per kWh up to your monthly baseline allocation. For Example if your monthly allocation is 200kWh, you'd see a $16 credit on your bill.

Current bill was only $34.94
On Peak: 60 kWh x $0.36550
Off Peak: 149 kWh x $0.25651
Super Off Peak: 275 kWh x $0.12044 (rate was lower in summer, changed to 13 cents in October)

Then there is a CA Climate Credit, 2 Baseline Credits, and Smart Energy Program Credit (NEST Thermostat). It's very confusing.

Total cost is $93.27 - $58.33 credits = $34.94. No I am not low income or anything, it's just the way California works. So when we say we pay 13 cents a kWh, that is not accurate, because of the credits. A total of 484 kWh / $34.94 = $0.1385 / kWh average.

For me in hindsight, I could have leased the Clarity Electric, installed a 240v charger+electrical panel upgrade+permits $3,800, so I could do ALL charging from home and come out money ahead. But without the larger battery I have to plug in at both ends of the commute and I won't get a full charge at home when I have to go to work back to back days, unless I start the charging before 10pm. The larger batter without 240v charging wouldn't work because the charging time is too long.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2018 17:17
You only used 484 KwH for the whole month?

In September, not using the AC, we used about 850 KwH, with an allocation of ~1200 KwH. I just got the monthly status from Edison and they show us to be in the middle of all neighbors with houses similar to ours (actually, we're about 20% larger of the median for that slice).

My most efficient neighbors, I'd guess they must be "old couple, two LED lamps, eating out, no computer" used about ~600 KwH.... the most inefficient used about 1100 KwH.

It was a cool month so we didn't hit our allocation at all. YET, in August and July when it was REALLY hot and we had to run the AC, our allocation was lower. WTF?

Yes, our bill is complex. Because we all pay for generation AND distribution.

It's almost as bad as our water bill... where the sewer is based on your water usage, nevermind if you use it to water your yard (mine is nice and green!).

Oh, I got a 3.3 mile trip, one way, to work. Even getting 13 mpg on the Ridgeline, and then using as our family rig on weekends to go out to dinner and shopping, I still fill it up every other week. And it's not even an empty tank!

4fc
Profile for 4fc
Re: Clarity PHEV Owner    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2018 18:23
Thank you GoFaster! I owe you a beer!
Your post made me think about changing over to TOU and plus the bill for my first moth with EV.
Already changed but it'll take another billing cycle.
Hope I can save some $.
And should take the time and find an electrician to do the 240V plug and get the rebate from SCE since 120V is slow but I still manage to do fine with my 50 miles commute.
I would do it myself but I guess I wont be able to claim the rebate.

I should've changed to TOU a long long time ago.
Just never cared since my bill was under 100.

Interesting numbers for the efficiency of the car...
Seems like you're doing between 4-3.076 miles/kWh(250 - 325 Wh/mile if you're in Tesla land) assuming these are the numbers for 65 - 80 mph speeds.
https://www.aqua-calc.com/convert/electric-car-energy-economy/miles-per-gallon-gasoline-equivalent-to-mile-per-kilowatt-hour/start/101

Seems like that you're beating EPA estimates, for the 65 mph run.
110 mpge is 3.3 miles/kWh

It's interesting to read thru tesla forums to see real live efficiency of the model 3 and S.

My experience with the nissan leaf that I'm leasing so far 4.3-3.9 miles/kWh (233 - 256) .

The low number was a trip to SD zoo with full car - 2 adults 2 kids and keeping 80 mph at all time with AC on, which should shave off 10 miles of range, when possible...Ran down the battery on the way there to 40%. Quick charged(level 3 - 50kW DC) at fashion mall 3 miles down away on the way to home(~75 miles) -2 free session at about 20 min due to early disconnect(the car was at 78% and the quick charge is only happening up till 80% due to the lack of temperature management of the nissan(aka rapidgate) - second leg was L2 charge) and nissan free no charge to charge for 2 years. Only the first 30 min are free but it worked out just fine for the kids to use the rest room and walk around a lego store, grab a bite.

At first I didn't believe the numbers I was getting but again my commute is on the 405 northbound and although in the HOV lane at times there is a lot of stop and go.
Funny enough nissan leaf EPA mpge corresponds to the same 3.3 mile/kWh.

The problem with it being 15K/year lease - we're getting over the monthly allowance.

And the gasmobil feels like it's from the stone age and not 4 years old car!

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0