[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota wants new Celica or MR2
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interesting take on the "Camaro Crisis"
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: All-New Cadillac 2019 XT4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: First Ford, now Nissan dropping Sedans
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Audi Will Reportedly No Longer Offer Any Manual Transmissions in the U.S.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: SuperGT - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 BMW 8-Series
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indycar - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Entrepreneurial Spirit

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Entrepreneurial Spirit    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-17-2018 23:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So looking for some general advice. Sorry to be long winded, but just sort of need to talk it out.

My wife stays at home with our kids, so I work the day job and pick up other work to supplement the income. I'm about to start my 8th year at the community college teaching at night.

My day job is very cyclical and I probably should have left it years ago. I was just trying to get to a point where my resume was built up a bit. Last year my Sr. Manager ignored some of my R&D work and then went and sold it as her own to the powers that be and ended up getting another guy promoted for it. I invested so much of my time in that project and assumed all of the risk for the company. Again, I probably should have left for that one too. I guess we can have another conversation about letting myself get rolled.

However, all of this has got me asking if there is a better way than what I've been doing the past 8 years with the school and 12 years with this company. I've actually been told I'm pretty good at what I do, I'm just terrible about bragging about it. I always thought that quality results and loyalty to your company were the way to go, but I guess unending self absorption is the ticket. But my kids are getting older now and I need to experiment and try to see if something else works out.

I have been mulling for some time how I can use my web development skills to use in the automotive world. To enjoy myself, to maybe one day make a buck at it, and to use it as a way to interact with my children and get them involved with automobiles, automotive history, different tools (like an English wheel, a clay bar, etc), and maybe to talk about old Hondas as well. By trade I'm a .Net developer, but since I teach Python I thought about using the Django framework so as to be inspiration for my students. I figure even if I don't make a buck, I can maybe do my children and my students some good.

Right now I have two friends, one with a new NSX and one with a Hellcat Challenger that would let me play around with those cars. But even that is done to death on YouTube and the like. I'm thinking about some other things that are different...interesting, historical, and maybe even a bit tongue-in-cheek and light hearted. I have access right now to a 32 Ford with a DeSoto V8 and a Crosley Sedan as well as a BridgePort Mill. That'd probably be where I'd want to start. My wife's grandfather even built a car that is in a museum in Reno. I have another friend that is a race car driver (I'm actually going to his house to see his new race car as soon as I hit submit here).

I even have another friend that told me if I am serious he'd be willing to produce some videos to complement the material.

Just curious the thought. Just making the assumption my website is smoking and my writing is smoking, in today's world is there a market for this side of the automotive and machinist world? More Offenhauser and less Tesla sounds good to me.

Thanks for listening.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Entrepreneurial Spirit    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 02:03
It seems like there are already several shows out there like you are describing, where they are doing unique builds on cars,
and also restorations, in a machine shop environment.

Is this what you have in Mind?

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Entrepreneurial Spirit    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 03:10
I suppose I'd just like to talk about what strikes my fancy, be it a unique build, be is a cool race car, be it "how in the world did Harry Miller build that cool motor in 1920s", etc.

In 2018, there is almost nothing in media that is purely original, but even then I wouldn't want to go Led Zeppelin and copy everyone either. I'd think most of what I'd want would be in writing, some cool car with a cool personal story along with it. The person could be the owner, could be the head designer, could be the builder, etc. Then maybe a few high quality photos and for certain cars maybe some video if it enhances the story.

Regarding tools and machine shops, again I'm thinking the personal side. Yeah, what is the tool used for and what is its functional use, but how did the operator learn to use it, what makes someone in 2018 like to work with their hands.

I know one guy that collects old gas pumps. I know another one with a 51 Ford N Tractor that is his pet. One guy I know has a 64.5 Mustang that he can't afford to get in driving condition, but he'll never part with it due to the bond he had with the original owner. I was even talking to one guy recently who just lost his father and he has reason to believe Jay Leno has one of his father's old cars and he's trying to track it down to get a photo. I know a guy that lost an eye in a sprint car race, and the list goes on.

I'd like to write about the car, or the machine, the tool, or the what ever and you not realize you got lost in the person story. I'd like that to thus keep the car culture alive and well.

But yeah, one some levels it would be nice to break away and just talk about a cool Offy motor, or even a few cools things on an NSX. But I know 2 guys with EcoBoost Raptors and one with a 93 Lightning. The Raptor is so much cooler, but this Lightning guy's story is fairly cool as we'll.

That's more the angle.

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Entrepreneurial Spirit    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 13:09
My other idea is to get a drone license and practice and get real good at car photography and use the website to promote that business.

Or maybe a mixture.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Entrepreneurial Spirit    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-22-2018 02:52
I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but are you looking to start a business with the view of quitting your day job provided that the business is able to generate enough income for your needs?

I personally like your second idea better but perhaps you can do both and see where each will take you?

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Entrepreneurial Spirit    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2018 01:02
Hondarulez wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but are you looking to start a business with the view of quitting your day job provided that the business is able to generate enough income for your needs?

I personally like your second idea better but perhaps you can do both and see where each will take you?

Not looking to quit a day job just yet. More looking to see what I can cook up so that in the future I can have more financial options.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0