[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
More.......................
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
More.......................
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
More.......................
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
More.......................
2019 Civic trim change summary
More.......................
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: All-New Cadillac 2019 XT4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: First Ford, now Nissan dropping Sedans
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interesting take on the "Camaro Crisis"
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 video with Jon Ikeda
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Subwoofer Enclosure
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indycar - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 1993 6 sp Acura Legend Coupe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Something I've always wondered about batteries in hybrids
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> North American Vehicle Semifinalists
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: More neat links on H2 status
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hurricane Florence NC SC
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TLX > > Re: Extremely fitting

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 21:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 23:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Even more so for 4g TL. The 4g was a big step up in fit/finish and overall interior design/materials. TLX is pretty much between a 1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL.
KyDave95
Profile for KyDave95
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 01:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
That crooked picture on the wall is bugging me. :)
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 05:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
^Someone ought to have captioned that picture, 'Design by Dave Marek'.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 13:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
Even more so for 4g TL. The 4g was a big step up in fit/finish and overall interior design/materials. TLX is pretty much between a 1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL.

Was going to say the same thing but then that would have just started the 4G ugly debate, there I said it.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 14:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
^Someone ought to have captioned that picture, 'Design by Dave Marek'.


Classic episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"

"Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs"

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 07:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Is that an ashtray flying across the room....
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 08:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
honduh wrote:
Is that an ashtray flying across the room....


No - I'm sure Soichiro would have gone for the face...

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 08:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am still not clear why folks think the TLX is so bad... Sure there are things that can be improved but I don't see any other car on the market for comparable money that just blows it away. Would I love to have another 07-08 TL in terms of design absolutely! But other than missing a 6speed (which was a rare beast) and fixing the infotainment glitches I just don't see it being that bad.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 10:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
99SI wrote:
I am still not clear why folks think the TLX is so bad... Sure there are things that can be improved but I don't see any other car on the market for comparable money that just blows it away. Would I love to have another 07-08 TL in terms of design absolutely! But other than missing a 6speed (which was a rare beast) and fixing the infotainment glitches I just don't see it being that bad.

If you take the touchscreen out of the equation, the complaints about the TLX interior, especially in relation to the 4G TL are really misnomers. The material quality is good, construction is very good, and there are fewer textures (less busy and better graining). It actually handles rather well for what it is and is very comfortable.

With that said, you've got the clumsy touchscreen interface, the poor 9AT (V6), VCM (V6), poor brakes, useless voice controls, etc.

I'm not sure if this is the case anymore but at the time I leased my 340i xDrive M-Sport (with a much higher sticker) it was a negligible increase over what a TLX SH-AWD Tech would've leased for.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 13:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
gofast182 wrote:
99SI wrote:
I am still not clear why folks think the TLX is so bad... Sure there are things that can be improved but I don't see any other car on the market for comparable money that just blows it away. Would I love to have another 07-08 TL in terms of design absolutely! But other than missing a 6speed (which was a rare beast) and fixing the infotainment glitches I just don't see it being that bad.

If you take the touchscreen out of the equation, the complaints about the TLX interior, especially in relation to the 4G TL are really misnomers. The material quality is good, construction is very good, and there are fewer textures (less busy and better graining).



Sorry but no, they are facts. I owned a 4g 6MT for four years. I had a loaner TLX V6 Tech for 5 months and almost 10k miles during the airbag fiasco. I could not WAIT to get out of the TLX, not just for how boring it was but also the interior quality. Itís a pleasant car but had nowhere near the presence or quality of the TL. As far as interior materials, I could have written a list a mile long of all the ways they cheaped out in noticeable ways. You need to compare the little things - headliner, a pillar trim, glove box, center console, rear armrest, seat materials, overhead console, etc etc. There was rampant cost cutting evident everywhere, just like I remember when I compared an 8g Accord to my 7g Accord. And of course there was, since the TLX was a step down in price from the TL. It was intended to be slotted below the TL so letís not pretend that it was equivalent.

Regarding the TL design, I spent a lot of time staring at it and it grew on me exponentially. It was SO CLOSE to being a great design but they totally screwed up important details. The overhangs, proportion, dash height and beak were a total nightmare and screwed up the entire car. But the rear 3/4 view of that car is the best of any Honda design IMO. And there were some really nice design details like the rear window buttress things. If only it had TLX proportions and overhangs, it would have been a highly regarded car. I donít disagree that overall itís an ugly car, but the lines and design concept had a ton of potential.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 13:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Oh and TL had PVD coated interior trim, so it was technically real metal. Super cool. Even high heels couldnít scratch it, donít ask me how I know. TLX has some plastic bits. What is special about a TLX? Besides SH AWD and ELS, what is there that isnít in an Accord Touring?
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 14:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Funny how the one you owned is so much better. I'm not saying the TLX is better than anything but I am saying it is not the step down you're claiming. And for accurate context you'd recall that the the TLX was only meant to slot down in size (the TSX actually had a higher quality interior than the TL or TLX).

Get into a previous gen. Accord Touring and, while a nice car, its materials are a step down from the TLX if you're paying attention to detail as you say. I went with a coworker to make this exact comparison as his TLX lease was ending. In terms of feature content, you are correct, though.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 15:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
gofast182 wrote:
Funny how the one you owned is so much better. I'm not saying the TLX is better than anything but I am saying it is not the step down you're claiming. And for accurate context you'd recall that the the TLX was only meant to slot down in size (the TSX actually had a higher quality interior than the TL or TLX).

Get into a previous gen. Accord Touring and, while a nice car, its materials are a step down from the TLX if you're paying attention to detail as you say. I went with a coworker to make this exact comparison as his TLX lease was ending. In terms of feature content, you are correct, though.


I can second his comments, I get no excitement out of the TLX. My wife who can care less about cars I remember her comments that the TLX felt cheap when I had one for a loaner, and the ride quality is also way below the TL. Also, I am sorry I know there are many TSX fans out there but its interior was not on the level of TL either, a few things come to mind TL nav graphics were better, better stereo system with speakers nicely integrated into door, used real aluminum trim, better leather seats with beautiful contrast stitching especially in brown and of course better engine options. The loaner TSX I had were famous for having loose trim, could be customer abuse more so but still. TSX also introduced the much criticized beak which in its self was an evolution of the sports 4 which so many loved. TSX did have things going for it as well, lower door panels offered softer touch materials but not enough to be in TL level. At the end of day opinion is opinion, the RDX and updated RLX are come up interior wise from TL, nothing else including the MDX which we also own meets the standards (MDX is fine for what is is but compared to previous could have been better) and while I'm at it dont forget the ZDX all before the smart luxury era

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 15:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
gofast182 wrote:
Funny how the one you owned is so much better. I'm not saying the TLX is better than anything but I am saying it is not the step down you're claiming. And for accurate context you'd recall that the the TLX was only meant to slot down in size (the TSX actually had a higher quality interior than the TL or TLX).

Get into a previous gen. Accord Touring and, while a nice car, its materials are a step down from the TLX if you're paying attention to detail as you say. I went with a coworker to make this exact comparison as his TLX lease was ending. In terms of feature content, you are correct, though.



I can second his comments, I get no excitement out of the TLX. My wife who can care less about cars I remember her comments that the TLX felt cheap when I had one for a loaner, and the ride quality is also way below the TL. Also, I am sorry I know there are many TSX fans out there but its interior was not on the level of TL either, a few things come to mind TL nav graphics were better, better stereo system with speakers nicely integrated into door, used real aluminum trim, better leather seats with beautiful contrast stitching especially in brown and of course better engine options. The loaner TSX I had were famous for having loose trim, could be customer abuse more so but still. TSX also introduced the much criticized beak which in its self was an evolution of the sports 4 which so many loved. TSX did have things going for it as well, lower door panels offered softer touch materials but not enough to be in TL level. At the end of day opinion is opinion, the RDX and updated RLX are come up interior wise from TL, nothing else including the MDX which we also own meets the standards (MDX is fine for what is is but compared to previous could have been better) and while I'm at it dont forget the ZDX all before the smart luxury era

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 15:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
99SI wrote:
I am still not clear why folks think the TLX is so bad... Sure there are things that can be improved but I don't see any other car on the market for comparable money that just blows it away. Would I love to have another 07-08 TL in terms of design absolutely! But other than missing a 6speed (which was a rare beast) and fixing the infotainment glitches I just don't see it being that bad.

If you take the touchscreen out of the equation, the complaints about the TLX interior, especially in relation to the 4G TL are really misnomers. The material quality is good, construction is very good, and there are fewer textures (less busy and better graining).



Sorry but no, they are facts. I owned a 4g 6MT for four years. I had a loaner TLX V6 Tech for 5 months and almost 10k miles during the airbag fiasco. I could not WAIT to get out of the TLX, not just for how boring it was but also the interior quality. Itís a pleasant car but had nowhere near the presence or quality of the TL. As far as interior materials, I could have written a list a mile long of all the ways they cheaped out in noticeable ways. You need to compare the little things - headliner, a pillar trim, glove box, center console, rear armrest, seat materials, overhead console, etc etc. There was rampant cost cutting evident everywhere, just like I remember when I compared an 8g Accord to my 7g Accord. And of course there was, since the TLX was a step down in price from the TL. It was intended to be slotted below the TL so letís not pretend that it was equivalent.

Regarding the TL design, I spent a lot of time staring at it and it grew on me exponentially. It was SO CLOSE to being a great design but they totally screwed up important details. The overhangs, proportion, dash height and beak were a total nightmare and screwed up the entire car. But the rear 3/4 view of that car is the best of any Honda design IMO. And there were some really nice design details like the rear window buttress things. If only it had TLX proportions and overhangs, it would have been a highly regarded car. I donít disagree that overall itís an ugly car, but the lines and design concept had a ton of potential.


Agree, I said from from day one the TL designers had some good ideas the creases etc were clever and would be perfect in todays car designs, just bad proportions. The rear half however especially when parked is stunning, even to this day I can say yes, then you look fron the top or front and you get the WTF moment. I will say without a doubt though I got more compliments in the 4g then I every dis in the 3g, the 3g was a nice design but it just didn't look premium like the 4g probably because of the lack of chrome.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 15:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
Oh and TL had PVD coated interior trim, so it was technically real metal. Super cool. Even high heels couldnít scratch it, donít ask me how I know. TLX has some plastic bits. What is special about a TLX? Besides SH AWD and ELS, what is there that isnít in an Accord Touring?

I recall reading they went this route because of complaints in 3g which dented easily, I know I recall putting a good ding in mine fron a piece of trim that slid from hard breaking. after 9 years 4g trim still looks like new an yes it's real aluminum.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 15:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
Oh and TL had PVD coated interior trim, so it was technically real metal. Super cool. Even high heels couldnít scratch it, donít ask me how I know. TLX has some plastic bits. What is special about a TLX? Besides SH AWD and ELS, what is there that isnít in an Accord Touring?


I recall reading they went this route because of complaints in 3g which dented easily, I know I recall putting a good ding in mine fron a piece of trim that slid from hard breaking. after 9 years 4g trim still looks like new an yes it's real aluminum.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 16:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
honduh wrote:
Is that an ashtray flying across the room....


It's a plate of Mac's famous Mac and Cheese......

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 20:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sorry guys not sure why so many double post, things seem to be lagging on post lately and when I back out before confirming it still registers the post.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 20:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
Oh and TL had PVD coated interior trim, so it was technically real metal. Super cool. Even high heels couldnít scratch it, donít ask me how I know. TLX has some plastic bits. What is special about a TLX? Besides SH AWD and ELS, what is there that isnít in an Accord Touring?


(1) SH-AWD (Forget your disclaimer 'besides' this makes it )
(2) ELS Audio ( Again, forget your disclaimer, this makes it much better)
(3) Better suspension
(4) More power
(5) Paddle shifters
(6) Better user controls ( I actually prefer the dual screen ).

I'm sure there are more, but that's just off the top of my head.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-17-2018 04:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
Even more so for 4g TL. The 4g was a big step up in fit/finish and overall interior design/materials. TLX is pretty much between a 1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL.


I sampled a 2G TLX recently. The interior mimics my 4G TL but the car felt tinny by comparison. The TL has anheft to the doors and controls whereas the TSX felt much more low budget.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-17-2018 04:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
99SI wrote:
I am still not clear why folks think the TLX is so bad... Sure there are things that can be improved but I don't see any other car on the market for comparable money that just blows it away. Would I love to have another 07-08 TL in terms of design absolutely! But other than missing a 6speed (which was a rare beast) and fixing the infotainment glitches I just don't see it being that bad.

If you take the touchscreen out of the equation, the complaints about the TLX interior, especially in relation to the 4G TL are really misnomers. The material quality is good, construction is very good, and there are fewer textures (less busy and better graining).



Sorry but no, they are facts. I owned a 4g 6MT for four years. I had a loaner TLX V6 Tech for 5 months and almost 10k miles during the airbag fiasco. I could not WAIT to get out of the TLX, not just for how boring it was but also the interior quality. Itís a pleasant car but had nowhere near the presence or quality of the TL. As far as interior materials, I could have written a list a mile long of all the ways they cheaped out in noticeable ways. You need to compare the little things - headliner, a pillar trim, glove box, center console, rear armrest, seat materials, overhead console, etc etc. There was rampant cost cutting evident everywhere, just like I remember when I compared an 8g Accord to my 7g Accord. And of course there was, since the TLX was a step down in price from the TL. It was intended to be slotted below the TL so letís not pretend that it was equivalent.

Regarding the TL design, I spent a lot of time staring at it and it grew on me exponentially. It was SO CLOSE to being a great design but they totally screwed up important details. The overhangs, proportion, dash height and beak were a total nightmare and screwed up the entire car. But the rear 3/4 view of that car is the best of any Honda design IMO. And there were some really nice design details like the rear window buttress things. If only it had TLX proportions and overhangs, it would have been a highly regarded car. I donít disagree that overall itís an ugly car, but the lines and design concept had a ton of potential.



I have a 4G SH and had a TLX V6 as a loaner. The only things I thought were superior were the gear ratios (which are horribly in the TL) and the updated electronics and feature set. Outside of those things, I like my TL much better. The TLX felt soft by comparison as my TL is pretty firm by comparison.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-17-2018 23:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Civicb18 wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
99SI wrote:
I am still not clear why folks think the TLX is so bad... Sure there are things that can be improved but I don't see any other car on the market for comparable money that just blows it away. Would I love to have another 07-08 TL in terms of design absolutely! But other than missing a 6speed (which was a rare beast) and fixing the infotainment glitches I just don't see it being that bad.

If you take the touchscreen out of the equation, the complaints about the TLX interior, especially in relation to the 4G TL are really misnomers. The material quality is good, construction is very good, and there are fewer textures (less busy and better graining).



Sorry but no, they are facts. I owned a 4g 6MT for four years. I had a loaner TLX V6 Tech for 5 months and almost 10k miles during the airbag fiasco. I could not WAIT to get out of the TLX, not just for how boring it was but also the interior quality. Itís a pleasant car but had nowhere near the presence or quality of the TL. As far as interior materials, I could have written a list a mile long of all the ways they cheaped out in noticeable ways. You need to compare the little things - headliner, a pillar trim, glove box, center console, rear armrest, seat materials, overhead console, etc etc. There was rampant cost cutting evident everywhere, just like I remember when I compared an 8g Accord to my 7g Accord. And of course there was, since the TLX was a step down in price from the TL. It was intended to be slotted below the TL so letís not pretend that it was equivalent.

Regarding the TL design, I spent a lot of time staring at it and it grew on me exponentially. It was SO CLOSE to being a great design but they totally screwed up important details. The overhangs, proportion, dash height and beak were a total nightmare and screwed up the entire car. But the rear 3/4 view of that car is the best of any Honda design IMO. And there were some really nice design details like the rear window buttress things. If only it had TLX proportions and overhangs, it would have been a highly regarded car. I donít disagree that overall itís an ugly car, but the lines and design concept had a ton of potential.



I have a 4G SH and had a TLX V6 as a loaner. The only things I thought were superior were the gear ratios (which are horribly in the TL) and the updated electronics and feature set. Outside of those things, I like my TL much better. The TLX felt soft by comparison as my TL is pretty firm by comparison.


Yeah 1st and 2nd gear a brutally long on TL, the 6 AT improved things somewhat, but since I always drive mine like I stole it I think I have trained the transmisison to respond. I am amazed at how quick I can go from 60 to 80 to pass without even realizing. I love the kickback in your seat feel and the sound of the J37, the modern samples I have driven especially the TLX and MDX the power is linear no rush, as a result feels slower eventhough on paper they are not. Most of the TLX tech is all in the safety which I can care less about and wife apparently now wants nothing to do with after the MDX decided the other day to slam the breaks for no apparent reason (no car in front) and not the first time, almost causing a pileup. For me, TLX at least in this generation is no improvement over TL and as I am now searching for something with more power and utility Acura has nothing to offer because TLX is too small and cheap inside and RLX looks like a fancy Accord and the one model I would even consider doesn't even offer a trunk pass thru......

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 16:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
Oh and TL had PVD coated interior trim, so it was technically real metal. Super cool. Even high heels couldnít scratch it, donít ask me how I know. TLX has some plastic bits. What is special about a TLX? Besides SH AWD and ELS, what is there that isnít in an Accord Touring?


(1) SH-AWD (Forget your disclaimer 'besides' this makes it )
(2) ELS Audio ( Again, forget your disclaimer, this makes it much better)
(3) Better suspension
(4) More power
(5) Paddle shifters
(6) Better user controls ( I actually prefer the dual screen ).

I'm sure there are more, but that's just off the top of my head.



You kind of just proved my point. Also my Accord is faster than my 305hp TL was in every driving situation besides launching, just not as exciting above 4K RPM. AWD, ELS, paddle shifters and a dual screen only you like are worth $10k? Thatís exactly why theyíre selling like crap. There is no presence or special feeling to the TLX. Itís just a Ďnice carí.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 16:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mikeydred wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Funny how the one you owned is so much better. I'm not saying the TLX is better than anything but I am saying it is not the step down you're claiming. And for accurate context you'd recall that the the TLX was only meant to slot down in size (the TSX actually had a higher quality interior than the TL or TLX).

Get into a previous gen. Accord Touring and, while a nice car, its materials are a step down from the TLX if you're paying attention to detail as you say. I went with a coworker to make this exact comparison as his TLX lease was ending. In terms of feature content, you are correct, though.



I can second his comments, I get no excitement out of the TLX. My wife who can care less about cars I remember her comments that the TLX felt cheap when I had one for a loaner,



Gofast - not sure why youíre comparing a TLX to a 9g Accord. Itís be real sad if the Accord was nicer LOL. I am comparing 4g TL to a TLX. TL is in another class just like the TLX is to an Accord. Iím not some rabid 4g TL fanboy, I sold mine because it was getting long in the tooth to me, but itís a very under appreciated car especially in 6MT form. It had plenty of issues, my biggest annoyances were the dash height and the flinty ride over small bumps. But it was a heavyweight in its class just like the 3g TL was, and people could hate on the beak all they wanted but when they sat in the car and drove it they were floored by it. Who has ever been really impressed by a TLX? Iím a huge Honda fanboy, I remember watching the TLX intro live with all the Ďred carpet athleteí BS and was all excited to drive one. Then I drove one...meh. The TLX was absolutely designed to slot below the TL both in exterior size and price. And with price of course comes quality. Iím shocked that anyone who has thoroughly inspected both cars and driven them could claim that the TLX is on par with the 4g TL.

Mikey - my ex wife had the exact same impressions and she also knows nothing about cars (bought a Journey after we divorced lmao). She said TLX felt cheap and boring and a big downgrade from the TL. Smart luxury...

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2018 08:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
notyper wrote:
honduh wrote:
Is that an ashtray flying across the room....

It's a plate of Mac's famous Mac and Cheese......


ďWe got enough money for two bowls and yet we donít have money for a recipe book. Cuz here we are eating Mac and Cheese...again.Ē

Yep, Acuraís Honda-plus sounds like Macís famous Mac and Cheese. Just hold the hunk of meat please.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-24-2018 19:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
Oh and TL had PVD coated interior trim, so it was technically real metal. Super cool. Even high heels couldnít scratch it, donít ask me how I know. TLX has some plastic bits. What is special about a TLX? Besides SH AWD and ELS, what is there that isnít in an Accord Touring?


(1) SH-AWD (Forget your disclaimer 'besides' this makes it )
(2) ELS Audio ( Again, forget your disclaimer, this makes it much better)
(3) Better suspension
(4) More power
(5) Paddle shifters
(6) Better user controls ( I actually prefer the dual screen ).

I'm sure there are more, but that's just off the top of my head.



You kind of just proved my point. Also my Accord is faster than my 305hp TL was in every driving situation besides launching, just not as exciting above 4K RPM. AWD, ELS, paddle shifters and a dual screen only you like are worth $10k? Thatís exactly why theyíre selling like crap. There is no presence or special feeling to the TLX. Itís just a Ďnice carí.



Was the TL SH-AWD? The SH-AWD is faster than the Accord, and then you got turns, wet, snow, cross winds, etc...

No, your Accord is uni dimensional when it comes to being fast, but overall the TL SH-AWD is the better handling car, and that, in my book, is sufficient for the additional money ( plus, it does have a nicer interior and a MUCH better audio system ).

Also, how many miles do you have in the Accord? TL? SH-AWD needs to be learned. That's likely it's only flaw, in that most drivers want fully automated systems and SH-AWD needs to be modulated with your right foot. Sometimes in very counter intuitive form (as in giving it gas when you find yourself going too fast into a turn )

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-24-2018 20:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:
Oh and TL had PVD coated interior trim, so it was technically real metal. Super cool. Even high heels couldnít scratch it, donít ask me how I know. TLX has some plastic bits. What is special about a TLX? Besides SH AWD and ELS, what is there that isnít in an Accord Touring?


(1) SH-AWD (Forget your disclaimer 'besides' this makes it )
(2) ELS Audio ( Again, forget your disclaimer, this makes it much better)
(3) Better suspension
(4) More power
(5) Paddle shifters
(6) Better user controls ( I actually prefer the dual screen ).

I'm sure there are more, but that's just off the top of my head.



You kind of just proved my point. Also my Accord is faster than my 305hp TL was in every driving situation besides launching, just not as exciting above 4K RPM. AWD, ELS, paddle shifters and a dual screen only you like are worth $10k? Thatís exactly why theyíre selling like crap. There is no presence or special feeling to the TLX. Itís just a Ďnice carí.



Was the TL SH-AWD? The SH-AWD is faster than the Accord, and then you got turns, wet, snow, cross winds, etc...

No, your Accord is uni dimensional when it comes to being fast, but overall the TL SH-AWD is the better handling car, and that, in my book, is sufficient for the additional money ( plus, it does have a nicer interior and a MUCH better audio system ).

Also, how many miles do you have in the Accord? TL? SH-AWD needs to be learned. That's likely it's only flaw, in that most drivers want fully automated systems and SH-AWD needs to be modulated with your right foot. Sometimes in very counter intuitive form (as in giving it gas when you find yourself going too fast into a turn )



Uh I put 184k miles on my TL SH AWD 6MT before I sold it last month. The 6MT is a far different beast than the automatics and much better handling than the TLX with much higher potential. I got the 2011 because the 2012 refresh had lighter steering and softened suspension (10-11 TL SH AWD 6MT had unique struts/springs). I knew very well how to drive it, I had the rear end out many times, I miss the dynamics every day. I never claimed that my Accord handles better. I was referring to straight line speed. But anyway this has nothing to do with my overarching point(s), which is that the TLX has very little advantage over an Accord aside from those who get heavily subsidized associate leases. You just said yourself that most people donít know how to use SH AWD, and thatís kind of exactly my point. I do, and even I wouldnít buy a TLX over an Accord.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Extremely fitting    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-26-2018 18:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am one of the few who mostly liked the 4th Gen TL, its biggest issue was its FWD proportions, small ugly base wheels, 5 speed auto at launch, and sitting a little too high. The beak was bad but not terrible and there are plenty of aftermarket grills for cheap to easily address it and if you get it in silver or paint the grill body color it does not look bad.

Adding larger wheels for the SHawd solved most of the problems with it and I have seen some really nice ones with larger aftermarket wheels, after market grills, and lowered. If that design was on a RWD platform with RWD proportions I think it would have been great. The interior was good looking too, high quality, brown milano leather looked great, no annoying touchscreen. I could see myself owning the 4th Gen TL Shawd and doing some mods to get it looking like I wanted.

My parents had a black on tan 08 TL which I often drove and I really liked it too, 09 had some nice updates over it.

TLX was a huge disappointment to me, it was no real replacement for a TL but more of a in between cross of a TSX and TL so it was lower end then a TL but offered some things a TSX did not like Shawd, hardly anything a upgrade over the TL unless you think the styling was improved.

When my dad was in the market I did not want him to get a TLX, did nothing for me and he was not nuts over it but after researching all the issues the Euro cars had and the huge price advantage a 6 cylinder TLX shawd had over competitors he got a 2016 TLX Tech after getting a good deal on it. I did not like it any more after sitting in it and driving it, it was more cramped inside then the 08 and 09 TL's, trunk had shrunk for no reason, interior felt so cost cut, and the touchscreen was extremely annoying. It had grey leather that did not seem luxurious at all, mom said it looked chintzy inside, felt the same way. For my dad though it was reliable, gave them no issues, got great fuel economy. I warmed up to it slightly in that it did not let them down and my dad seemed to like it more. My dad got into a bad accident in it though after a year or so, rear ended by a full sized truck that pushed him into a SUV in front of him, totaled the TLX but he was not injured thankfully aside from some bruises. He got a 2018 TLX Technology after getting a even better deal which after seeing them in person I liked more, he was able to get black and tan combo which looks so much better then that awful grey and the tan has black/brown piping which is nice, it has a few more enhancements like driver thigh support,Apple carplay, leather feels softer, fake wood looks better, chrome exhaust and I feel the styling updates are an improvement if more in your face/aggressive is your thing, it got over 37mpg on the highway on a trip with no issues again so he is pleased with it.

I still think the 4th Gen TL is nicer overall, just seems more solid, and I don't like the obvious cost cutting/shrinking on the TLX, the RLX really would have been the TL's natural next generation replacement. I like what they did with the interior more on the RLX but with the mmc TLX and the price you can get a 6 cylinder Shawd for I can't hate it too much even though it is still way too cost cut in areas, I do see why it sells fairly well but it is ridiculous you have to step all the way up to a Advance model just to get ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, and heated rear seats.


 
Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0