[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
General Talk --> Re: All-New Cadillac 2019 XT4
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interesting take on the "Camaro Crisis"
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: First Ford, now Nissan dropping Sedans
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Audi Will Reportedly No Longer Offer Any Manual Transmissions in the U.S.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: SuperGT - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 BMW 8-Series
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indycar - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: Minus sizing tires on 2019 pilot
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: Minus sizing tires on 2019 pilot
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 1993 6 sp Acura Legend Coupe
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Minus sizing tires on 2019 pilot
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Type R > > Re: DC-R

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 01:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
DCR wrote:
Did you hit your head recently Jeff?

No. just commenting on how there's not a lot of exhaust sound to the Type R (besides a strong WHOOOSH at higher rpms - try sitting in the back seat while somebody else is driving it hard). And commenting on the irony of the fact that the Type R has 50% more power than the Si, but you'd never know it by comparing the exhaust sounds. I hadn't driven the Si for awhile until recently and it sort of struck me as funny.

to follow up and add a bit more clarity to my previous comments (particularly after spending more time driving the Type R than the Si today) - I should say that the exhaust sound is definitely there in the R, but it's more of a boomy/resonant sound, and as the rpms increase with wide throttle openings, the whooshing air tends to squelch some of the sound, making the sound seem a little flat as you wind it out.

In the 10th-gen Si the sound isn't nearly as good as the K20Z3 in the 8th-gen Civic Si (or even the K24Z7 of the 9th-gen Civic Si), but it does seem to have more of an N/A sound than the K20C1.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 01:33
There might be trouble in paradise at 3200 miles. I drive with the audio off on short drives to hockey and when I was pulling in the driveway tonight, low speed, I am not sure what I was hearing. A chattery metallic rubbing sound maybe but not brakes? Maybe it was brakes? I have tomorrow off so I am going to replicate this 20 times if I have to because my neighbors probably won't appreciate 1 AM exhaust noise for the next 20 minutes.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 02:08
DCR wrote:
There might be trouble in paradise at 3200 miles. I drive with the audio off on short drives to hockey and when I was pulling in the driveway tonight, low speed, I am not sure what I was hearing. A chattery metallic rubbing sound maybe but not brakes? Maybe it was brakes? I have tomorrow off so I am going to replicate this 20 times if I have to because my neighbors probably won't appreciate 1 AM exhaust noise for the next 20 minutes.

If itís a weird sort of screeching/squealing sound then it is probably a small piece of gravel that found its way into the brakes. This happened to my car very early on and my wife was in the car with me the first time it happened. Of course she freaked out, and we were going pretty slowly because we were leaving the neighborhood and driving slowly, but once i was able to move at a normal 50+mph pace for a bit the sound disappeared. Iíve heard it 2 or 3 times since then, always at low speeds and always after the tires have warmed enough to yank tons of gravel off of the road surface.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 03:50
I've been keen to listen for that but I am not sure it was. However, I did drive low speed through some pea gravel type stuff for about a 1/16 mile on Sunday so it is probably that. The tires pick up everything they roll over and spit back. I'll test it out tomorrow.
Price
Profile for Price
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 10:28
It has happened to me a bunch of times (over 13,000 so far). Sounds terrible but it will eventually go away.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 09:25
Well, this morning when I backed out of the driveway and turned the wheel, it sounded like a pretty loud metal clanging..almost like something dropped or snapped in/out of place. It was from the right front. It drove fine and in the parking lot at work I did tight reverse circles and forward circles both directions and no noise, but that doesn't mean something didn't go wrong.

I will probably bring it in to be safe.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 22:45
Yup it happened to me as well. It's a pebble in your brakes. My mechanic removed it for me and it's all good now.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 23:29
Is is that damn loud?
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 02:33
DCR wrote:
Is is that damn loud?

You should try driving a car without the inner liner to the front guard, while it's wearing R compound rubber. Even sand sounds like it's going to smash through the metal! :)

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 10:35
For me it would depend on the steering angle, speed I was going at, and whether the road is flat or not. It was louder when I was going up or downhill. It's loud enough that my wife would freak out and for me to wonder whether there's something wrong.....
Price
Profile for Price
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 17:05
DCR wrote:
Is is that damn loud?

Yes

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 13:03
Yeah, hasn't happened at all since.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 14:36
Price wrote:
DCR wrote:
Is is that damn loud?

Yes

Caught between a rotor and a hard place

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-19-2018 20:54
superchg2 wrote:
Price wrote:
DCR wrote:
Is is that damn loud?

Yes

Caught between a rotor and a hard place

Excellent! :)

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-22-2018 18:36
I stopped by the local Acura dealer tonight to check out the new RDX, but I only got about 1 minute to look at it because my Type-R got mobbed by 4-5 younger Acura garage guys (mid-20's I'd guess). They were a bit grubby from work but I opened the car, started it and let them crawl around, open the hatch, sit in it. It was unanimous that the front seats are awesome...one of the guys was folding the rear seats down to check the room and then sat in the back to see how much space it had. One of the guys asked if he could race me because he has a 300ZX out back and he has been looking for a Type-R to run with to see how he does, etc. I had to politely decline that of course. It eventually got down to just two of the guys who were most interested in the car and we talked for about 10 minutes about Honda cars, the old RSX-S, what they were driving now, what upgrades I'm planning etc.

I went back to the RDX as they messed with the car some more, and a salesman walked out as I was in front looking at the grill and he didn't even greet me...ignored me in fact. Times must be good at Acura right now as the cars must be selling themselves.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2018 00:05
LOL I had a similar encounter 2 months ago trying to see if my local Acura dealer had received any new RDX for test drive.....The CTR gets a lot of attention...way more than my AP1.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2018 09:36
DCR wrote:
I stopped by the local Acura dealer tonight to check out the new RDX, but I only got about 1 minute to look at it because my Type-R got mobbed by 4-5 younger Acura garage guys (mid-20's I'd guess). They were a bit grubby from work but I opened the car, started it and let them crawl around, open the hatch, sit in it. It was unanimous that the front seats are awesome...one of the guys was folding the rear seats down to check the room and then sat in the back to see how much space it had. One of the guys asked if he could race me because he has a 300ZX out back and he has been looking for a Type-R to run with to see how he does, etc. I had to politely decline that of course. It eventually got down to just two of the guys who were most interested in the car and we talked for about 10 minutes about Honda cars, the old RSX-S, what they were driving now, what upgrades I'm planning etc.

I went back to the RDX as they messed with the car some more, and a salesman walked out as I was in front looking at the grill and he didn't even greet me...ignored me in fact. Times must be good at Acura right now as the cars must be selling themselves.

Perhaps you are too "boy-racer..."

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2018 11:12
Hah. Every Acura dealer Iíve ever been to was full of incompetents that either completely ignored or acted like it was a $10k used car lot. I think thereís not enough money to be made with Acura for seasoned, good salespeople. They go elsewhere.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2018 12:53
NealX wrote:
Perhaps you are too "boy-racer..."

My wife isn't!

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2018 00:42
Hondarulez wrote:
DCR wrote:
I'm driving it year round 100%. I'm looking around for winter wheels now in 5 x 120 that clear the Brembos.

I use Konig Ultraform for my winter setup.

They are 18"x 8.5" ET38 with 225 wide tires. The rims are 19lb each so pretty light weight:

I'm getting close to ordering these. I did buy the wheel and tire package but I think I'm going to shelf my OEM wheels and tires at the end of the season and rotate summer/winter on the Konigs.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2018 22:30
It didn't photograph well but I also have joined the grooved rotors club.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2018 22:36
DCR wrote:
It didn't photograph well but I also have joined the grooved rotors club.

Do you get any sort of shimmy while braking?

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: DC-R    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2018 23:15
Nope, rock solid.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0