[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2020 Corolla Revealed
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interview Max Verstappen on F1 and Watches & the new TAG Heuer Verstappen Edition
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 Advance Squeaks and Camera Issues
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: '08 Honda Leather

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Road Race
Profile for Road Race
'08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 21:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Seen on a friends TL-S. Really a shame that the rest of the car has worn like iron, drives like new but the seats have disintegrated. It's a real turnoff to have a 10 year plan for a premium Honda and have the seats fall apart at 8.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 00:05
I notice that the TL more commonly suffers from this than the TSXs. Even the 09-13 TL's are wear extremely.

Sad

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 05:09
It was noticeable on S2000s for the last couple of years' production too.

Falls apart.

loveturtle
Profile for loveturtle
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 07:09
I have an 08 TL-S and all of the leather on all of the seats has completely disintegrated.

I've been meaning to have it reupholstered but every time I have a little money it finds a way to take it from me. In the last 24 months I've got new cluch, new brakes, new starter, new ps pump, new alternator, and all the 100k mile shit like plugs water pump timing belt.

So we'll see. In the next few months I'll either get the seats redone or just get rid of it.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 10:40
Road Race wrote:
Seen on a friends TL-S. Really a shame that the rest of the car has worn like iron, drives like new but the seats have disintegrated. It's a real turnoff to have a 10 year plan for a premium Honda and have the seats fall apart at 8.

I've pretty much found all leather in Honda's/Acura's is second grade and will no doubt look like this over time...and not too long of time, depending. Certainly not up to the quality of most of the German cars I've experienced...you get what you pay for.

That said, after 7 years our MDX looks fairly good, however, but a lot of "wrinkles". They also aren't perforated, so that helps from a cracking/splitting/ripping standpoint.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 11:11
cksi1372 wrote:
Road Race wrote:

I've pretty much found all leather in Honda's/Acura's is second grade and will no doubt look like this over time...and not too long of time, depending. Certainly not up to the quality of most of the German cars I've experienced...you get what you pay for.

That said, after 7 years our MDX looks fairly good, however, but a lot of "wrinkles". They also aren't perforated, so that helps from a cracking/splitting/ripping standpoint.

Drilling holes in the leather surely can't help matters.
:)

Road Race
Profile for Road Race
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 13:44
My feeling is that seats are an important part of the long term brand value of a car. People's perception of the car changes to junk once the seats rip out. As such in the past, I have always been impressed with the longevity of the seats in our Hondas. To date all of our Honda SI's and Civics have had fabric seats. Those have worn like iron and we've kept those 130 to 200k miles and been happy with them.

My two friends have the TL-S and the other has one of the first RDX's. Both cars are still in excellent condition, but both are kind of bummed because the seats are shot. Honda wouldn't sell a car whose clear coat fails in 10 years anymore , or rust out in 10 years. So I can only hope that they have upped their game with leather as it's likely that that is the only seats I will be able to get on whatever I buy next.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 14:29
superchg2 wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:
Road Race wrote:

Drilling holes in the leather surely can't help matters.
:)

You must not follow the science*...holes in the leather actually help the seat "breathe" and not dry out...leading to less cracking/ripping/etc.

*no reference, just completely made up... :-)

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 14:49
How often do you guys clean/treat your leather?

I should imagine that given the sunshine, it ought to be done annually.

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 15:00
Road Race wrote:
My feeling is that seats are an important part of the long term brand value of a car. People's perception of the car changes to junk once the seats rip out. As such in the past, I have always been impressed with the longevity of the seats in our Hondas. To date all of our Honda SI's and Civics have had fabric seats. Those have worn like iron and we've kept those 130 to 200k miles and been happy with them.

My two friends have the TL-S and the other has one of the first RDX's. Both cars are still in excellent condition, but both are kind of bummed because the seats are shot. Honda wouldn't sell a car whose clear coat fails in 10 years anymore , or rust out in 10 years. So I can only hope that they have upped their game with leather as it's likely that that is the only seats I will be able to get on whatever I buy next.

It is not uncommon to see leather in BMW's looking just like that. Maybe not in the 5 series+, but definitely in the 1-series and 3-series.

Kryngle Da Great
Profile for Kryngle Da Great
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 17:57
Road Race wrote:
My two friends have the TL-S and the other has one of the first RDX's. Both cars are still in excellent condition, but both are kind of bummed because the seats are shot. Honda wouldn't sell a car whose clear coat fails in 10 years anymore , or rust out in 10 years.

I have an 08' TSX with the same issues as well. Been thinking about getting all the seats redone or replaced... As for clear coat. Honda has been selling cars that have clear coating issues on a lot of their cars that aren't even 10 years old yet. Mostly on Civics. I see older vehicles that don't have that problem but then again companies weren't cost cutting as much back then like how they have been in this new generation.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 22:07
My 149,000 mile TSX doesn't have any rips or creases in the seats like the above picture except for the drivers out side bolster where it gets rubbed the most entering and exiting the car. No open tears but its starting to wear down and crease.

I condition the seats about every 6 months or so with these products:

I use copious amounts and try to do it while the seats are warm (direct sunlight helps). I also use it on the door panel inserts. I wipe my dash and steering wheel down with a damp rag or sometimes armor all (I hate using armor all on the dash/ anything soft touch though because I've heard it is full of harsh chemicals).

Armor all is great for anuthing hard plastic though, kick panels, lower door panels, lower half of dash, etc

Road Race
Profile for Road Race
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-17-2018 22:33
Good to know that there are good preservatives. Thanks
loveturtle
Profile for loveturtle
Re: '08 Honda Leather    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-18-2018 08:15
I regularly clean my car and treat the leather probably 3x year and it didn't matter. The seats just fell apart. I am in Florida so maybe the intense heat and humidity makes a difference. I don't regularly park in the sun for extended periods of time though.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0