[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
RDX --> 2019 Advance Squeaks and Camera Issues
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interview Max Verstappen on F1 and Watches & the new TAG Heuer Verstappen Edition
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Honda F1 PU
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2018 CR-V price experience
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: MDX update schedule?
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2019 Honda CRV on Honda Canada Website
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
deandorsey
Profile for deandorsey
Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2018 11:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

They also have at least one new 2015 Insight. That was my fun find on my Sunday drive.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2018 13:55
Iím imagining that they donít assign an inventory or lot cost and wonít go below invoice on these. Most dealers will dump cars after 90 or 120 days.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2018 16:49
The 2015 CRZ seems to have been there for about 3 years. They need to move it from time to time
so that it doesn't get asphalt sores.

KyDave95
Profile for KyDave95
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 00:47
I know the CR-Z isn't the most practical vehicle for a charitable cause, but if it's that difficult to sell, perhaps it could be donated to an organization or individual in need of transportation? If I had a dealership and a vehicle sat on my lot for an extended time, I would be looking to find some way to put that vehicle to good use in the community...
silverf16
Profile for silverf16
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 09:28
Many dealers across the country still have brand new 2014 and 2015 VFR interceptors sitting in showrooms. Heavely discounted but not moving.
Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 09:32
KyDave95 wrote:
I know the CR-Z isn't the most practical vehicle for a charitable cause, but if it's that difficult to sell, perhaps it could be donated to an organization or individual in need of transportation? If I had a dealership and a vehicle sat on my lot for an extended time, I would be looking to find some way to put that vehicle to good use in the community...

+1. I think itís the difference between a well run and poorly run dealership. A poorly run one will sit on inventory indefinitely, not even considering how much money said inventory is actually costing them. Well run ones will keep the inventory rotating constantly because itís actually cheaper to take a loss than to sit on a car for years.

KyDave95
Profile for KyDave95
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 16:59
Chris_6MT wrote:

+1. I think itís the difference between a well run and poorly run dealership. A poorly run one will sit on inventory indefinitely, not even considering how much money said inventory is actually costing them. Well run ones will keep the inventory rotating constantly because itís actually cheaper to take a loss than to sit on a car for years.

I wonder if a 2015 CR-Z could possibly be the oldest "new" car for sale in the US???

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2018 20:59
KyDave95 wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:

I wonder if a 2015 CR-Z could possibly be the oldest "new" car for sale in the US???

You can run that search on autotrader or cars.com. Filter new cars and sort oldest model year to newest. Last I looked I found some that were older. I recall calling a local dealer about a 3 year old Ďnewí Sonata Hybrid for the wife, they wouldnít go below $5k off. New 2018ís were listed for less by other dealers. GLWS lol.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 01:46
Chris_6MT wrote:

Well, you need a buyer. Unless you drop your pants and lose thousands on the car to chop the sale, you might be better off losing a slower drip on a car that isn't popular but has a specific Honda buyer who might locate it.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 10:07
DCR wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:

Well, you need a buyer. Unless you drop your pants and lose thousands on the car to chop the sale, you might be better off losing a slower drip on a car that isn't popular but has a specific Honda buyer who might locate it.

The concept is right but in reality the costs of holding are significantly higher in the end. Nevermind lot damage and dead batteries and the like....flooring alone will absolutely murder you in the long run. Interest rates are up and flooring is no longer a profit maker for most dealers.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 11:47
NorCalSales wrote:
DCR wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:

The concept is right but in reality the costs of holding are significantly higher in the end. Nevermind lot damage and dead batteries and the like....flooring alone will absolutely murder you in the long run. Interest rates are up and flooring is no longer a profit maker for most dealers.

Yes. The fact that some dealers donít even consider inventory cost boggles my mind. They could have sold the CR-Z 4 years ago at a steep discount. But instead theyíve paid for all that cost for 4 years and still will have to settle for a steep discount. Thousands of dollars down the drain.

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2018 15:43
One moved at auction last month for 13,200 with only 9k miles
KyDave95
Profile for KyDave95
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2018 00:37
Chris_6MT wrote:
KyDave95 wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:

You can run that search on autotrader or cars.com. Filter new cars and sort oldest model year to newest. Last I looked I found some that were older. I recall calling a local dealer about a 3 year old Ďnewí Sonata Hybrid for the wife, they wouldnít go below $5k off. New 2018ís were listed for less by other dealers. GLWS lol.

Oh, cool...I didn't realize that search option was out there!

brassrox
Profile for brassrox
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 20:24
NorCalSales wrote:
DCR wrote:
Chris_6MT wrote:

Can you explain that for those of us less acquainted with dealership economics? Is this essentially like opportunity cost, where the dealer having the money tied up in the old CR-Z prevented them from selling say, 10-15 CR-Vs over the same time period because the older models were using up dealer capital and floor space that could have been turned a bunch of times?

NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2018 21:53
Easiest way to explain it is to link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retail_floorplan

The key on new is we get paid credit to floor the cars for awhile from Honda, as long as I can spin the cars faster than that I can end up with more credits than debits and put money on the books instead of paying out to the bank. The other part of that is this is money you don't pay commissions on so they are real dollars made rather than a dollar in "profit" on a car that the commission payout is around 38%. In other words a dollar saved in flooring is a real dollar in profit, a dollar made in a car deal is only about 62 cents. I am not sure that entirely makes sense outside of my head but hey that's how I am hardwired to think at this point as a GSM.

I will add any dealer that is flooring their used cars is pretty crazy. Paying interest on a depreciating asset is suicide especially if you don't implement a hard 60 day turn... if it hasn't sold it MUST go to auction, better to take a wholesale loss now and bandage up rather then bleed yourself dry.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0