[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Chevy Prepping Mini-Blazer
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "Moose Test". Nissan Kicks fail
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: H2 for All... again at last!
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: No more 3rd gen FC Clarity, Hello 2020 4th gen
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Acura Flagship

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
RP
Profile for RP
Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 12:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Iíve been doing some thinking and came to a very sad realization. I donít see a lot of RLXís on the road. Mind you Iím from the Houston area, where there are over 7 million people. Surely Iím bound to see at least one or two a day with that many people driving. I see an RLX once every week or two weeks. My mom and aunt both owned a 1993 Legend, 1999 3.5RL and then a 2002 3.5RL. I still see tons of Legends, 1G RLís and 2G RLís, (2005-2008), even in their old age. But even when I was younger and 3.5RLís were still in production, it wasnít rare to see one in the neighborhood or around town like the RLX is. The last time I saw an RLX was last week on the other side of the freeway. It really sucks to see the RLX struggling so hard because I like it. I hope they knock the next RLX out the park. Just my rant for today!
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 14:48
Much like the entry level ILX, the RLX really doesn't stand out, and looks pretty awkward with the MMC snout that they stuck on the front.
HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 15:58
The RLX designation doesn't help. I ought to know as much about Honda/Acura products as anybody and yet every time I read RLX, I have to stop and try to remember which of the Acura products it is and to distinguish it in my mind's eye from the RDX. Does the "L" in RLX indicate a superior, higher brand position than the the "D" in RDX and if so, how come the bottom end of the lineup is an I "L" X etc., etc? If you are not a fan of the brand, the names mean nothing to you or are they anything you'll lust after.

It is not surprising to me that the beginning of the downfall of Acura appears to line up with this change to this meaningless all letters description of their products. If it is such a good idea, why doesn't Honda do the same?

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 20:21
HondaForever wrote:
The RLX designation doesn't help. I ought to know as much about Honda/Acura products as anybody and yet every time I read RLX, I have to stop and try to remember which of the Acura products it is and to distinguish it in my mind's eye from the RDX. Does the "L" in RLX indicate a superior, higher brand position than the the "D" in RDX and if so, how come the bottom end of the lineup is an I "L" X etc., etc? If you are not a fan of the brand, the names mean nothing to you or are they anything you'll lust after.

It is not surprising to me that the beginning of the downfall of Acura appears to line up with this change to this meaningless all letters description of their products. If it is such a good idea, why doesn't Honda do the same?

The Legend was a great name for a premium Acura. Going to letters was idiocy.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 05:58
HondaForever wrote:

I've got used to the TLAs over the decades, but I can understand that with modern attention spans, most CBA. And why should they?

I am now in a similar position with M-B's recent TLAs; CBA.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 05:49
Iím still curious as to why Acura calls the RLX their flagship. A flagship is supposed to embody a brands top tier technical, design and engineering prowess all in one package. The RLX fails at all of those things as it uses an 8th generation Accord platform, basic engine architecture thatís over 20 years old and a design thatís lackluster at best. The only things that stand out are the Krell system and the Sport Hybrid AWD system which neither are on most RLXís sold. Acura can seriously do better.

I had a RLX Tech as a loaner a couple of years ago. It was ok. The materials were ok as it was quicker than I thought itíd be. However, the front suspension felt planted but the rear of the car was all over the place. The design screamed 2008 Accord with ugly front fenders and pretty headlights. The interior just seemed ordinary. Ever since the 91-95 Legend, Acura has (AGAIN) failed to capture that essence, road presence and sense of occasion that cars like the A6, 5 -Series and E-Class do so well. Iím really hoping the next gen RLX is a much better car in all those areas as the 3.5RL, RL and current RLX just never resonated well in this segment of car.

RP
Profile for RP
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 07:44
Good point! At least the 3.5RL sold in decent numbers for the time, they were selling around 1,000 or more units a month for a while. Even the 2G RL sold decently well when it was first introduced. But Acura could get away with that back then. They have to better on the next RLX.
CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 08:13
Iíve said this before but the logical path for me would be to move from my Ď93 Legend to the RL. That turned out to be Acuraís take on the Buick Park Avenue. Fast forward a few years when I was killing time while getting service, talking to a salesman about the TL or MDX: He kept trying to steer me over to the RL several times because I fit the demographic. I upped the tone of our ďchatĒ to tell him what I really thought of the RL.

Same old, same old today.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 18:37
RP wrote:
Good point! At least the 3.5RL sold in decent numbers for the time, they were selling around 1,000 or more units a month for a while. Even the 2G RL sold decently well when it was first introduced. But Acura could get away with that back then. They have to better on the next RLX.

We all give Acura slack from time to time but the RLX is a Honda and Acura likely had no input in it. RLX was Ito's version of a flagship and like the RL before it was shoved down the American dealers throats and that's why it gets no love. The interior changes on the MMC RLX are actually nice, it's just missing a few more luxury features and controls, especially for rear seat entertainment and for the love of me, dont understand why they omitted genuine wood which RL offered. The RLX problem is the uninspiring exterior with the awkward proportions further exaggerated by the slab sided fender flares.I would love for the US team to get a shot at designing and engineering the next RLX or whatever they decide to call it (also should be Acura exclusive) and at that time should they fail then we can rag on Acura, but this one is not on them, but more so the powers to be and hopefully their old way of thinking.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 19:18
HondaForever wrote:

The Acura RLX is the RoLeX of automotivedom.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 20:44
Time was, when you had a SS454 Chevelle, you had street Cred. An RLX, not so much.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 23:04
Civicb18 wrote:
Iím still curious as to why Acura calls the RLX their flagship. A flagship is supposed to embody a brands top tier technical, design and engineering prowess all in one package. The RLX fails at all of those things as it uses an 8th generation Accord platform, basic engine architecture thatís over 20 years old and a design thatís lackluster at best. The only things that stand out are the Krell system and the Sport Hybrid AWD system which neither are on most RLXís sold. Acura can seriously do better.

I had a RLX Tech as a loaner a couple of years ago. It was ok. The materials were ok as it was quicker than I thought itíd be. However, the front suspension felt planted but the rear of the car was all over the place. The design screamed 2008 Accord with ugly front fenders and pretty headlights. The interior just seemed ordinary. Ever since the 91-95 Legend, Acura has (AGAIN) failed to capture that essence, road presence and sense of occasion that cars like the A6, 5 -Series and E-Class do so well. Iím really hoping the next gen RLX is a much better car in all those areas as the 3.5RL, RL and current RLX just never resonated well in this segment of car.

I agree with you. The RLX is not a flagship, and even if it were to the standard of the new RDX where it excels in many categories against European brands, it still should not be deemed a flagship due to its size being more of a 5 series competitor than a 7 series competitor. The Precision Concept has the size and prestige to be the flagship sedan.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 23:59
Civicb18 wrote:

Here's a Flagship.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 00:36
bnilhome wrote:

I agree with you. The RLX is not a flagship, and even if it were to the standard of the new RDX where it excels in many categories against European brands, it still should not be deemed a flagship due to its size being more of a 5 series competitor than a 7 series competitor. The Precision Concept has the size and prestige to be the flagship sedan.

noun

a large ship that leads a group of ships

the biggest, most important, or best thing in a group

Provided by Macmillan Dictionary

Umm, by definition the RLX, being the biggest vehicle Acura make and at the head of their "normal" line of vehicles, is the "flagship" of Acura's "fleet". It has nothing to do with anybody else's flagship vehicle [especially not the S Class]!

The only point of discussion in regard to Acura's flagship is whether the NSX qualifies as their flagship? I would have thought if Acura choose to use the word Flagship it is their prerogative to use it on the vehicle they choose, it is only "marketing speak" after all.

Of course you can all continue this conversation of the relative merits of Acura's "flagship" to your hearts content. :D

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 04:46
superchg2 wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:

Here's a Flagship.

Nah, that's a flash pig.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 04:56
Nick GravesX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:

Here's a Flagship.

Nah, that's a flash pig.

The S-Class is THE flagship! BMW, Audi, Cadillac and Lexus canít make anything comparable or as desirable. Iíve been in a couple versions of the current S-Class and EVERYTHING in the car is first rate. Not a whif of cost cutting anywhere, it has road presence, everyone knows what it is, the materials and craftsmanship are first rate as is build quality which of course is expected in this class.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 05:50
Civicb18 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:

Here's a Flagship.

Nah, that's a flash pig.

The S-Class is THE flagship! BMW, Audi, Cadillac and Lexus canít make anything comparable or as desirable. Iíve been in a couple versions of the current S-Class and EVERYTHING in the car is first rate. Not a whif of cost cutting anywhere, it has road presence, everyone knows what it is, the materials and craftsmanship are first rate as is build quality which of course is expected in this class.

And taken a step further, Mercedes has the Maybach version.

RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 08:02
Here's what Acura should REALLY be targeting!

photo flagship_zpsjcqxcurv.jpg

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 08:10
sadlerau wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

noun

Umm, by definition the RLX, being the biggest vehicle Acura make and at the head of their "normal" line of vehicles, is the "flagship" of Acura's "fleet". It has nothing to do with anybody else's flagship vehicle [especially not the S Class]!

The only point of discussion in regard to Acura's flagship is whether the NSX qualifies as their flagship? I would have thought if Acura choose to use the word Flagship it is their prerogative to use it on the vehicle they choose, it is only "marketing speak" after all.

Of course you can all continue this conversation of the relative merits of Acura's "flagship" to your hearts content. :D

The latter definition per Webster definition that you provided is what is used to describe what is being talked about here. The Finest, Largest, or Most important of a group of things/products. I think what we are all saying here is that the RLX is not the finest or most important of Acura's portfolio, where for most luxury car companies there sedans due tend to the be finest or most important. If you simply look at which products are keeping Acura afloat, you could argue that the MDX and RDX are the most important parts of the portfolio if you want to get all focused on the definition, but in general most car buyers understand the term flagship when purchasing an sedan, and I think many on here feel that the RLX is not a worthy flagship at this point in time.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 08:41
Nick GravesX wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:

Here's a Flagship.

Nah, that's a flash pig.

More flash, more miss piggy.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 14:19
sadlerau wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

noun

NSX is their Halo but as you say all market speak. Flagship usually represents the best a brand has to offer, many companies now are moving to SUVs as their flagship.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 14:22
sadlerau wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

noun

NSX is their Halo but as you say all market speak. Flagship usually represents the best a brand has to offer, many companies now are appear to be moving to SUVs as their flagship Q8, X7, Escalade was always Cadillac, etc.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 17:08
superchg2 wrote:
Time was, when you had a SS454 Chevelle, you had street Cred. An RLX, not so much.

What? Are you calling the RoLeZ a TiLeX? Maybe a TiMeX?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 17:17
RSX wrote:
Here's what Acura should REALLY be targeting!

photo flagship_zpsjcqxcurv.jpg

Hmm... kamikaze?

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 18:31
^ Is that still a thing?
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 20:24
bnilhome wrote:
Civicb18 wrote:

The RLX is Acura's top model sedan with its top technology and luxury. It is Acura's flagship even if it is more of a 5 series sized competitor. The RLX does have more rear seat leg room then many mid sized competitors and Acura did brag the RLX has 7 series(regular wheelbase) leg room. It is Acura's flagship car.

The NSX is Acura's halo car, super cars are generally not regarded as flagships of a brand.

We will see about the Precision Concept, it is more of a low slung sedan with RWD proportions, there is no way possible to make its design/design elements look good on a FWD platform, I don't care how different Acura tries to claim it is from a Honda Accord platform if they put that radical design on a FWD platform it is going to look like shit and be very odd looking.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 21:15
Now, this is a Flagship... front nose drive, rear steering, open top! All it needs is a an behemoth Acura logo on the nose and perhaps a nice Power Plenum... Heck, it has an Acura Power Prop!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/videos/a30821/helicron-propeller-car/

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 22:29
Speaking of flagships:

The US Navy is sometimes like Acura:

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-25-2018 22:43
owequitit wrote:
Speaking of flagships:

The US Navy is sometimes like Acura:

That's pretty funny.... mate! ;-D

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Acura Flagship    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-26-2018 06:30
:D

Yup!

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0