[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
More.......................
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
More.......................
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
More.......................
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
More.......................
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
More.......................
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
More.......................
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla’s Model 3 Is Becoming One of America’s Best-Selling Sedans
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Model Release Matrix?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Fixing SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW Drops 3-Series Manual Globally... Audi A4 too...
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA finale
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Accessories
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 11:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I ran some tests on the RDX this morning. For the 0-60s I started out in Sport+ dynamic mode with the transmission set on "S" mode. First pass was 6.5 seconds.

2nd pass, I left it in Sport + but put the transmission in normal "D" mode. 6.5 seconds.

For the 3rd pass I put it in Comfort mode and left the transmission in "D" mode. This time it ran a 6.4

I tried again with the same exact setup and recorded another 6.4

For the final pass I left it in Comfort but set the transmission to the S mode, and this time I recorded a 6.5.

The 1/4 mile testing was abbreviated due to logisitical issues. I only managed to make a single pass but given the consistency of the 0-60 times I'm not sure it would have mattered much. Since the best 0-60 times were logged in Comfort mode with the transmission set in D, this is how I tested the 1/4 mile.

0-60mph: 6.4
30-50mph: 2.4
1/4 Mile: 14.9s
Trap Speed: 95.9mph
60' Time: 2.5s
0-100mph: 16.1s

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 12:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
This is slower than I was expecting. Darn.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 14:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Not too impressive on the giddyup.
Random
Profile for Random
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 15:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wow. That slower than what I have with my 2007 RDX (Hondata FlashPro and RV-6 downpipe). I believe my numbers were 5.9 and 14.5 for 1/4.
Plus my avg gas consumption is around 11,5-12,5 city and 9-9.5 hgwy.

Not much of a change for an 11 years old car.

Random
Profile for Random
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 15:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wow. That slower than what I have with my 2007 RDX (Hondata FlashPro and RV-6 downpipe). I believe my numbers were 5.9 and 14.5 for 1/4.
Plus my avg gas consumption is around 11,5-12,5 city and 9-9.5 hgwy.

Not much of a change for an 11 years old car.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 16:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Random wrote:
Wow. That slower than what I have with my 2007 RDX (Hondata FlashPro and RV-6 downpipe). I believe my numbers were 5.9 and 14.5 for 1/4.
Plus my avg gas consumption is around 11,5-12,5 city and 9-9.5 hgwy.

Not much of a change for an 11 years old car.



Wait until Hondata has a flashpro ready for the new RDX. I'm guessing it's gonna go better than 5.9 and 14.5. And it already doubles your fuel efficiency.

KaySee
Profile for KaySee
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 16:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
Random wrote:
Wow. That slower than what I have with my 2007 RDX (Hondata FlashPro and RV-6 downpipe). I believe my numbers were 5.9 and 14.5 for 1/4.
Plus my avg gas consumption is around 11,5-12,5 city and 9-9.5 hgwy.

Not much of a change for an 11 years old car.



Wait until Hondata has a flashpro ready for the new RDX. I'm guessing it's gonna go better than 5.9 and 14.5. And it already doubles your fuel efficiency.



I have to think he's referring to L/100km or those figures are pretty rough. That would put this rdx in the low 20s city and mid 20s highway mpg if I'm guessing right.

Hondata has been doing great work with the 2T. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the rdx

Fishbulb
Profile for Fishbulb
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 18:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
Random wrote:
Wow. That slower than what I have with my 2007 RDX (Hondata FlashPro and RV-6 downpipe). I believe my numbers were 5.9 and 14.5 for 1/4.
Plus my avg gas consumption is around 11,5-12,5 city and 9-9.5 hgwy.

Not much of a change for an 11 years old car.



Wait until Hondata has a flashpro ready for the new RDX. I'm guessing it's gonna go better than 5.9 and 14.5. And it already doubles your fuel efficiency.



Heh, double his fuel efficiency? I'm guessing his numbers are in L/100, not MPG.

Although considering my original RDX experience, maybe mileage that bad is possible....

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 20:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fishbulb wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Random wrote:
Wow. That slower than what I have with my 2007 RDX (Hondata FlashPro and RV-6 downpipe). I believe my numbers were 5.9 and 14.5 for 1/4.
Plus my avg gas consumption is around 11,5-12,5 city and 9-9.5 hgwy.

Not much of a change for an 11 years old car.



Wait until Hondata has a flashpro ready for the new RDX. I'm guessing it's gonna go better than 5.9 and 14.5. And it already doubles your fuel efficiency.



Heh, double his fuel efficiency? I'm guessing his numbers are in L/100, not MPG.

Although considering my original RDX experience, maybe mileage that bad is possible....



That's probably it, lol, but stock we were definitely seeing low-mid teens in the city (MPG) and mid-upper teens (MPG) on the highway on the 1st-gen RDX with the 2.3T.

Random
Profile for Random
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 00:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I meant L/100km. So my current ride which has 100k+ of mileage has similar consumption to a 2019 model.
Also, i believe 2007 rds stock numbers were 6,7s for 0-60 and 15s for 1/4. Now we have a new model that is 0.3s better in accel and similar difference in quater.
First gen Rdx was ahead of the pack, it set up the pace in performance. It was faster than Subie XT, Mazda CX7, BMW X3 base and the rest of performance SUVs of that time. RDX had better handling then all of them incl X3 and was able to keep up with 1st gen X6 3.5.
To be honest I was expecting more from 3 gen than just keep up the pace with germans. Like 5.4s of accel and handling on the level of Stelvio.
Instead we have a wanna be in performance. Does it handle as well as X3, Macan or Stelvio? Most likely not. Maybe better than Volvo or Merc.
And please lets not start this story about pricing. If we stop talking about overall package for a sec and think about pure performance, man, we can get a basic Stelvio for about the same price (they are heavily discounted now) which is 200 kg lighter and handles like nothing else. Or a basic Macan, that might not be faster but has PDK and handles as good as Stelvio.
Just IMO, I cannot care less about panoramic sunroof and the rest of “premium” features. I care about performance and I’d like to see that underdog sleeper that was able to spank germans just for fun.

P.S. Jeff, you might remember Shawn’s opinion about RDX ECU settings when he rolled dyno for a preproduction RDX. He mention he was not impressed with the results and it was on the edge of knock. Not sure if Hondata will be able to make a big difference considering stock rdx has a small single scroll turbo that is already tuned to have a flat shelf torque at 1,5k rpm. Hopefully it will.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 19:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
Random wrote:
Wow. That slower than what I have with my 2007 RDX (Hondata FlashPro and RV-6 downpipe). I believe my numbers were 5.9 and 14.5 for 1/4.
Plus my avg gas consumption is around 11,5-12,5 city and 9-9.5 hgwy.

Not much of a change for an 11 years old car.



Wait until Hondata has a flashpro ready for the new RDX. I'm guessing it's gonna go better than 5.9 and 14.5. And it already doubles your fuel efficiency.



I guess the somewhat disappointing power numbers I got when dynoing the prototype from the autoshow were not just preproduction calibrations. I don't know if the thermal management is different in the RDX or something, but it seems far less robust than the 2.0T in the Accord.

Shame really, I had high hopes for this engine in the RDX.

SC

Fitdad
Profile for Fitdad
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 19:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I’m a little confused by the reactions here...didn’t Jeff get 5.9 out of the Accord? Which weighs like 600 lbs less??
wooderson79
Profile for wooderson79
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 19:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
I’m a little confused by the reactions here...didn’t Jeff get 5.9 out of the Accord? Which weighs like 600 lbs less??

I'm confused too - isn't there a Type S coming?

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 20:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Fitdad wrote:
I’m a little confused by the reactions here...didn’t Jeff get 5.9 out of the Accord? Which weighs like 600 lbs less??


The Accord is extremely traction limited. I had hoped that the same engine in an AWD setup (albeit heavier) would return similar or even better numbers, especially from 0-60 where traction is most crucial.

SC

vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 20:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
No way a 3,900 lb SUV would beat a 3,400 lb Accord
with the exact same engine and transmission.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 20:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
vh2k wrote:
No way a 3,900 lb SUV would beat a 3,400 lb Accord
with the exact same engine and transmission.



1. Not exact same transmission. The RDX gets a 4.17 final drive vs. a 3.55 in the Accord. First gear is 5.25 in both. That means the RDX gets 15% more torque multiplication in each gear (and it weighs about 15% more).

2. The Accord produces enough torque to generate thrust sufficient to accelerate at greater than 1g in first gear if it had the traction. Of course, it does not have that much traction, so you can't apply much more than half throttle (and Honda torque manages it lower anyways). The RDX, with AWD should be able to make use of substantially more thrust meaning it should be able to accelerate harder than the Accord in 1st gear for sure, and perhaps harder in 2nd as well.


While one wouldn't expect the RDX to pull a 100+ mph trap speed like the Accord in the 1/4, I would expect it to pull a similar or better 0-60 time, and a similar 1/4 mile ET with a 4-5 mph slower trap speed.


Either Acura torque managed this thing way down or something else is different about how it performs. It should be a rocket off the line and its not.

SC

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 20:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As another example of why gearing matters, the 10AT in the RDX has a total gear reduction ratio in 1st gear of almost 22:1. By comparison, my Caddy CTS-V gets a 9.9:1 ratio. My CTS-V is also 10% heavier. That means that 270 lbs-ft in the RDX should feel about like 590 lbs-ft in the CTS-V, at least from 0-25 mph.

There are other factors at play (boost onset lag in 1st gear for the RDX, the need to shift up so quickly, etc.), but mid-6's 0-60 just ain't right.

SC

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 03:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
notyper wrote:
vh2k wrote:
No way a 3,900 lb SUV would beat a 3,400 lb Accord
with the exact same engine and transmission.



1. Not exact same transmission. The RDX gets a 4.17 final drive vs. a 3.55 in the Accord. First gear is 5.25 in both. That means the RDX gets 15% more torque multiplication in each gear (and it weighs about 15% more).

2. The Accord produces enough torque to generate thrust sufficient to accelerate at greater than 1g in first gear if it had the traction. Of course, it does not have that much traction, so you can't apply much more than half throttle (and Honda torque manages it lower anyways). The RDX, with AWD should be able to make use of substantially more thrust meaning it should be able to accelerate harder than the Accord in 1st gear for sure, and perhaps harder in 2nd as well.


While one wouldn't expect the RDX to pull a 100+ mph trap speed like the Accord in the 1/4, I would expect it to pull a similar or better 0-60 time, and a similar 1/4 mile ET with a 4-5 mph slower trap speed.


Either Acura torque managed this thing way down or something else is different about how it performs. It should be a rocket off the line and its not.

SC


A reflash might do wonders for the RDX.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 07:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
notyper wrote:
As another example of why gearing matters, the 10AT in the RDX has a total gear reduction ratio in 1st gear of almost 22:1. By comparison, my Caddy CTS-V gets a 9.9:1 ratio. My CTS-V is also 10% heavier. That means that 270 lbs-ft in the RDX should feel about like 590 lbs-ft in the CTS-V, at least from 0-25 mph.

There are other factors at play (boost onset lag in 1st gear for the RDX, the need to shift up so quickly, etc.), but mid-6's 0-60 just ain't right.

SC


I wonder if this points to the SH-AWD diff again, especially with Honda stating this new version can transfer more torque rearward for more of a rear-balanced cornering feel.

Anyway, it sounds like the 10AT has a similar Granny Low 1st gear as the MDX 9AT which can make the low speed parking lot cruise pretty awkward at times.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 07:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Random wrote:
I meant L/100km. So my current ride which has 100k+ of mileage has similar consumption to a 2019 model.
Also, i believe 2007 rds stock numbers were 6,7s for 0-60 and 15s for 1/4. Now we have a new model that is 0.3s better in accel and similar difference in quater.
First gen Rdx was ahead of the pack, it set up the pace in performance. It was faster than Subie XT, Mazda CX7, BMW X3 base and the rest of performance SUVs of that time. RDX had better handling then all of them incl X3 and was able to keep up with 1st gen X6 3.5.
To be honest I was expecting more from 3 gen than just keep up the pace with germans. Like 5.4s of accel and handling on the level of Stelvio.
Instead we have a wanna be in performance. Does it handle as well as X3, Macan or Stelvio? Most likely not. Maybe better than Volvo or Merc.
And please lets not start this story about pricing. If we stop talking about overall package for a sec and think about pure performance, man, we can get a basic Stelvio for about the same price (they are heavily discounted now) which is 200 kg lighter and handles like nothing else. Or a basic Macan, that might not be faster but has PDK and handles as good as Stelvio.
Just IMO, I cannot care less about panoramic sunroof and the rest of “premium” features. I care about performance and I’d like to see that underdog sleeper that was able to spank germans just for fun.

P.S. Jeff, you might remember Shawn’s opinion about RDX ECU settings when he rolled dyno for a preproduction RDX. He mention he was not impressed with the results and it was on the edge of knock. Not sure if Hondata will be able to make a big difference considering stock rdx has a small single scroll turbo that is already tuned to have a flat shelf torque at 1,5k rpm. Hopefully it will.


You and I may have liked the ride quality which went with the 1G RDX handling but practically no one else did. Some of the reviews at the time really panned the car because of it. There is no way Honda would go that aggressive again because the 1G RDX was a sales flop.

And the turbo lag with the K23T was Datsun Turbo Z-like in duration. The variable inlet vane idea looked good in the sales brochure and I'm sure it helped but getting up to a second of lag when driving at Interstate speeds would be a disaster these days.

I've never understood the variety of MPG numbers people saw with the 1G RDX. The best I can figure is it came down to throttle tip in and then how much throttle was used once the boost was pegged. There was a range from maybe half to full throttle at times which didn't even give you more noise. I saw it as a dialed back CRV engine with a turbo added so I drove it as such.

Still a great car which was fun to drive.

RAV
Profile for RAV
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 09:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It has 20 more HP than the Q5, 100 lbs lighter, and 1/2 second slower to 60. What gives. If the Accord had all wheel drive it could pull 5.4 The RDX additional 20 HP would take care of the half of the added weight the RDX has to pull around. The other 300 extra lbs would need an additional 20 HP ( 15 lbs per HP power to weight) so the RDX should perform like an Accord with awd and 20 less hp. That should put it around 5.7
Fishbulb
Profile for Fishbulb
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 13:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I've spent about 4 hours of seat time in a the new RDX over the last week. (A-Spec version, Blue).

It's a nice car. For what most people want in the category, it delivers. The interior is great, big upgrade. On the looks side, unfortunately (to me) there's a big dropoff in aethetics between the A Spec and the rest of the trims. The SHAWD works well, and the car is planted nicely during highway speed manoeuvers.

On the down side, I can't help but feel the same as I do with the new accord 2.0T, It's an ok engine, but it's still a 4cyl. The old V6 would have been a much better match with the 10spd and return of the shawd. More refined delivery, similar power, nice sound under throttle, and judging by the MPG on mixed driving (albeit still breaking in) - I doubt the real world benefit from the new engine will be realized.

So it's not the disaster to me that my 2.3T ownership was, but I wouldn't pry my wallet open on one either.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 14:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
That is so much slower than expected. A Pilot and Odyssey can keep up and they're so much bigger, and close in efficiency. You think 255 tires on the ASpec would make a difference?
dydx
Profile for dydx
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 14:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Went to the dealer and test drove one last week. It feels bigger than its size would lead you to believe. I have a hard time believing the metal trim inside was real since it felt warm to the touch. Despite the SH-AWD I think I preferred how the smaller Volvo XC40 AWD drove.
08NWBLKTLS
Profile for 08NWBLKTLS
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 17:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RAV wrote:
It has 20 more HP than the Q5, 100 lbs lighter, and 1/2 second slower to 60. What gives. If the Accord had all wheel drive it could pull 5.4 The RDX additional 20 HP would take care of the half of the added weight the RDX has to pull around. The other 300 extra lbs would need an additional 20 HP ( 15 lbs per HP power to weight) so the RDX should perform like an Accord with awd and 20 less hp. That should put it around 5.7

Alex on autos tested an advance and he got 5.7 seconds to 60 at sea level in California.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 20:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
08NWBLKTLS wrote:
RAV wrote:
It has 20 more HP than the Q5, 100 lbs lighter, and 1/2 second slower to 60. What gives. If the Accord had all wheel drive it could pull 5.4 The RDX additional 20 HP would take care of the half of the added weight the RDX has to pull around. The other 300 extra lbs would need an additional 20 HP ( 15 lbs per HP power to weight) so the RDX should perform like an Accord with awd and 20 less hp. That should put it around 5.7

Alex on autos tested an advance and he got 5.7 seconds to 60 at sea level in California.



Well, Jeff's got 93 octane in Atlanta vs. the worst gas in the world in California (ACN 91). And Atlanta's not exactly high elevation either.

SC

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 20:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I can't wait to some a Hondata relfash for these.

I wonder if the power is being limited in the 1st 2 gears at all?

Random
Profile for Random
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 22:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Grace141 wrote:
I wonder if this points to the SH-AWD diff again, especially with Honda stating this new version can transfer more torque rearward for more of a rear-balanced cornering feel.

Anyway, it sounds like the 10AT has a similar Granny Low 1st gear as the MDX 9AT which can make the low speed parking lot cruise pretty awkward at times.


I am pretty sure its because of the sh-awd diff. But lets not forget that Acura recently ran new RDX on Pikes Peak with the 350hp set up and stock tranny along with stock sh-awd. I am pretty sure one of the purposes was actually to test new platform in extreme racing conditions and collect data for further development including Type-S ver. The question would be how well stock liveries handled abuse.
And surely second question will be if these results will affect future model years updates.

Random
Profile for Random
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 22:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
notyper wrote:
vh2k wrote:
No way a 3,900 lb SUV would beat a 3,400 lb Accord
with the exact same engine and transmission.



1. Not exact same transmission. The RDX gets a 4.17 final drive vs. a 3.55 in the Accord. First gear is 5.25 in both. That means the RDX gets 15% more torque multiplication in each gear (and it weighs about 15% more).

2. The Accord produces enough torque to generate thrust sufficient to accelerate at greater than 1g in first gear if it had the traction. Of course, it does not have that much traction, so you can't apply much more than half throttle (and Honda torque manages it lower anyways). The RDX, with AWD should be able to make use of substantially more thrust meaning it should be able to accelerate harder than the Accord in 1st gear for sure, and perhaps harder in 2nd as well.


While one wouldn't expect the RDX to pull a 100+ mph trap speed like the Accord in the 1/4, I would expect it to pull a similar or better 0-60 time, and a similar 1/4 mile ET with a 4-5 mph slower trap speed.


Either Acura torque managed this thing way down or something else is different about how it performs. It should be a rocket off the line and its not.

SC



Shawn, may I ask you probably the most important question in this thread:

I am sure you took time to explore new Accord ECU capabilities before releasing recent reflashes (both stages) for it.
In your opinion would FlashPro be able to help to overcome torque limitations in the tranny and the sh-awd diff?
Is there a chance to fix this issue with accel using a reflash?

Based on my previous experience with FlashPro, it does not have access to tranny shifting maps neither to sh-awd settings. And I also remember it was a challenge for Hondata team to overcome torque limiter in the 1st gen RDX.

Thanks

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 RDX SH-AWD Acceleration numbers    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 22:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
notyper wrote:
08NWBLKTLS wrote:
RAV wrote:
It has 20 more HP than the Q5, 100 lbs lighter, and 1/2 second slower to 60. What gives. If the Accord had all wheel drive it could pull 5.4 The RDX additional 20 HP would take care of the half of the added weight the RDX has to pull around. The other 300 extra lbs would need an additional 20 HP ( 15 lbs per HP power to weight) so the RDX should perform like an Accord with awd and 20 less hp. That should put it around 5.7

Alex on autos tested an advance and he got 5.7 seconds to 60 at sea level in California.



Well, Jeff's got 93 octane in Atlanta vs. the worst gas in the world in California (ACN 91). And Atlanta's not exactly high elevation either.

SC



not HIGH elevation but around 1100-1200ft where I tested 0-60 and maybe around 1400-1500 for the 1/4 mile testing. I'm almost wondering if they delivered the car to me with regular unleaded in it. I finally emptied the tank and put super in it and I've noticed that it seems a bit peppier, though it has cooled off a bit too. I'm going to try to get a few more test runs tomorrow before it goes away.


 
Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0