[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> RDX - Why Espresso Interior with Grey Headliner??
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX is Top Safety Pick+
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Extremely fitting
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Honda Motorcycles --> Re: Retro Honda CBX returning - yes it has an L6. July 12-18
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Local dealer has a bunch of new 17 Accord Tourings in front of building.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Navigation and Subtle Aromatherapy
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: 2019 Pilot "Black Edition"
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Re:Honda Debuts 2019 Civic Sport in Sedan and Coupe Form
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Here's What to Expect Daily Driving a 2017 Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> 2018 Honda Fit Sport Review - Back to Basics
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5
Author
  Post New Thread
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 02:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-genesis-g70-first-drive-review

Pretty positive review.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 14:04

The design looks very derivate, though.

MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 15:43
The RWD proportion alone makes G70 the better looking car.
rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 16:10
^My thoughts exactly.
Waits for the usual... "But it's still just a Hyundai with crappy reliability, yada, yada, yada and so on and so forth..."

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 16:20
TonyEX wrote:

Derivative and good looking is better than original and ugly.

KaizenDo
Profile for KaizenDo
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 18:34
Well, it's a premium Hyundai. Which means, it features all the stuff you have from german makers, but without the cheating, the unlimited arrogance and the undeserved high price tag.
bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 21:29
The G70 is a nice attempt be Genesis but the design looks like a combo of the 3G TL (rear) amd the TLX from the side. Hyundai has often struggled with original designs though as they seem to copy a bit from various luxury makers. Given sedans are becoming less popular it would be smart of them to get out a crossover ASAP.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 23:41
TonyEX wrote:

Wishful thinking Tony. Acura WISHES they had a product that has as much presence as a Genesis product. And that is coming from someone who sees both on the road all of the time.

The A-Spec looks better and the DPG looks better, but it is still does not look like a luxury car, nor does it have luxury car proportions.

Plus, Acura doesn't make anything other than the NSX that can cut a sub 5 second 0-60 or run a 12 second 1/4 mile. And I bet if you put both on the track, the Acura wouldn't fair nearly as well as you hope it would.

Genesis seems to be really sweating the details, and frankly, it is getting sad for Acura. They better implement that turn around plan a lot faster...

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2018 23:47
bnilhome wrote:
The G70 is a nice attempt be Genesis but the design looks like a combo of the 3G TL (rear) amd the TLX from the side. Hyundai has often struggled with original designs though as they seem to copy a bit from various luxury makers. Given sedans are becoming less popular it would be smart of them to get out a crossover ASAP.

Can't say I agree in the least. It could be argued that it is derivative of some of the Germans in some areas, but Acura isn't even in the same league and hasn't been in over a decade.

Sad but true that a Hyundai product now sits higher on my luxury radar than any Honda product...

Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 04:41
I can't stand the way this thing looks at all. Giulia front fenders, Jaguar XE front end changed enough to avoid a lawsuit, and the rest a hodgepodge between the CLA and TLX. It's as if Hyundai decided to get a focus group of its competitors, picked out the parts that scored highest and put them together in a soulless, cynical package.

Kia did tons better with the Stinger.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 08:10
owequitit wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

Can't say I agree in the least. It could be argued that it is derivative of some of the Germans in some areas, but Acura isn't even in the same league and hasn't been in over a decade.

Sad but true that a Hyundai product now sits higher on my luxury radar than any Honda product...

Key words...."my luxury radar." Outside of the former Equus surpassing the unimpressive RLX Hyundai and Genesis products are nice but not above Honda/Acura. The Accord is way nicer than the Sonata, the Civoc is way nicer than the Elantra, the CRV handles much nicer than the Santa Fe, and on and on. The RDX and MDX are way nicer than the...oh wait, Hyundai has been preaching being a luxury brand for nearly a decade and still has no SUV on the market.

trexdoc
Profile for trexdoc
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 09:03
"...Hyundai and Genesis products are nice but not above Honda/Acura..."

Have you sat in/driven a Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate? The Black/Walnut interior is stunning. Acura produces nothing that is remotely competitive with the G90. I'd even argue the Genesis G90 5.0 is better in many ways than the new LS500.

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 09:57
Maybe it does look derivative. The side profile is like a mix of TLX and WRX. That said, I think the derivative nature of it is more so by accident than the blatant Mercedes ripoffs of old Genesis cars. I think the G70 looks great.
bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 11:27
trexdoc wrote:
"...Hyundai and Genesis products are nice but not above Honda/Acura..."

Have you sat in/driven a Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate? The Black/Walnut interior is stunning. Acura produces nothing that is remotely competitive with the G90. I'd even argue the Genesis G90 5.0 is better in many ways than the new LS500.

As I stated before the RLX is a key weakness for Acura and whether you call it a G90 or Equus or some other name most carmakers are going to do better than the RLX. Taking the RLX aside I just talked through many other Honda and Acura products that refute the assertion made by Owequitt. I am not saying Hyundais are bad as I helped my mother in law purchase a Santa Fe a few years ago...I just think that holistically Hyundai/Genesis still have a long way to go.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 11:58
bnilhome wrote:
owequitit wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

Key words...."my luxury radar." Outside of the former Equus surpassing the unimpressive RLX Hyundai and Genesis products are nice but not above Honda/Acura. The Accord is way nicer than the Sonata, the Civoc is way nicer than the Elantra, the CRV handles much nicer than the Santa Fe, and on and on. The RDX and MDX are way nicer than the...oh wait, Hyundai has been preaching being a luxury brand for nearly a decade and still has no SUV on the market.

What Acura sedans are nicer and more competitive then the Genesis G90 or G80?

Seems it is most people's luxury radar because more buyers have bought G80's and G90's over RLX's month after month.

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 13:14
It's amazing some people claim to not see the resemblance to the TLX. Although Acura cars are FWD, stale, and lackluster that doesn't mean Genesis didn't find the styling attractive enough to be inspired. Besides, its in the rear that they look similar. Having said that, aside from a few details minor details I think the G70 looks good AND they seem to be getting a handle on driving dynamics. It really sounds like a solid overall product.

It seems some get a little annoyed at the fact that some people still have doubts about Genesis. Hyundai has come a long way in reliability and such, but count me in as one of those who would not own one long term. What's interesting is that I've been here a while and have seen many die hard Honda/Acura enthusiast go to BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes (even I'm looking outside of H/A for the first time) but I don't recall ever seeing anyone buying a Genesis unless I missed it. Maybe the G70 will be a turning point.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 13:37
I would go with the Stinger GT with the TT V-6!

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 14:55
according2kev wrote:
It's amazing some people claim to not see the resemblance to the TLX. Although Acura cars are FWD, stale, and lackluster that doesn't mean Genesis didn't find the styling attractive enough to be inspired. Besides, its in the rear that they look similar. Having said that, aside from a few details minor details I think the G70 looks good AND they seem to be getting a handle on driving dynamics. It really sounds like a solid overall product.

It seems some get a little annoyed at the fact that some people still have doubts about Genesis. Hyundai has come a long way in reliability and such, but count me in as one of those who would not own one long term. What's interesting is that I've been here a while and have seen many die hard Honda/Acura enthusiast go to BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes (even I'm looking outside of H/A for the first time) but I don't recall ever seeing anyone buying a Genesis unless I missed it. Maybe the G70 will be a turning point.

See any TLX?

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 15:05
As they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Before

After

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 17:00
DCR wrote:
according2kev wrote:

See any TLX?

Do you see any IS?

Obviously you're focused on the rear quarter window or the shape of the back door but as you can see, not even Lexus was original with that. And for all I know, it could have been featured on another vehicle before the pontiac.

Now as I mentioned in my previous post, look at the rear at the of the G70 and TLX from the side and the c-pillar and trunklid look very similar.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 21:03
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
owequitit wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

Seems it is most people's luxury radar because more buyers have bought G80's and G90's over RLX's month after month.

Here we go again with Owequitt and LexusGS (same person) putting forward the same lame benchmark of the RLX to suggest Genesis has arrived. Very few on this forum would say the RLX is a true flagship sedan and most believe this is a key weakness across the board for Honda/Acura. That point alone does nothing to take away of the superiority of most Hondas to Hyundais or the fact that Acura SUVs have been highly successful.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 01:55
bnilhome wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
owequitit wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

Here we go again with Owequitt and LexusGS (same person) putting forward the same lame benchmark of the RLX to suggest Genesis has arrived. Very few on this forum would say the RLX is a true flagship sedan and most believe this is a key weakness across the board for Honda/Acura. That point alone does nothing to take away of the superiority of most Hondas to Hyundais or the fact that Acura SUVs have been highly successful.

Here we go with bnilhome putting forward the same lame arguments about the lack of Genesis SUV's and making up things to try to argue about.

When has anyone argued that Hyundai makes better cars then Honda? You are making a argument against something nobody has been arguing about. We are talking about Acura vs Genesis sedans, not Honda vs Hyundai.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 04:34
superchg2 wrote:
I would go with the Stinger GT with the TT V-6!

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 07:12
This concept gave the Stinger a run for its money...what happened? Why no strong design cues from the concept to the production? Especially the rear pilar, where cars often can be indentified. Oh well, at least the production car isnproportioned right and seems to be a true competitor.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 07:57
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
owequitit wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

Here we go with bnilhome putting forward the same lame arguments about the lack of Genesis SUV's and making up things to try to argue about.

When has anyone argued that Hyundai makes better cars then Honda? You are making a argument against something nobody has been arguing about. We are talking about Acura vs Genesis sedans, not Honda vs Hyundai.

Interesting reply LexusGSQuitt. Again your primary assertion that Genesis has arrived at Acura's detriment is using the RLX as a benchmark. If you read earlier in the thread which is about the G70, I indicated that the design from the side and real look a lot like the TLX and 3G TL, respectively, and it appears others on here agree. Removing your self-imposed theory that a RWD-platform is a core requirement for luxiry carmakers, how are you feeling that the G70 seems to be copying an Acura design given you are so against Acura sedans.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 11:03
bnilhome wrote:
Interesting reply LexusGSQuitt.

If you think Owe and LexusGS are the same person, you're not going to be arguing off your best footing.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 11:25
bnilhome wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
owequitit wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

Interesting reply LexusGSQuitt. Again your primary assertion that Genesis has arrived at Acura's detriment is using the RLX as a benchmark. If you read earlier in the thread which is about the G70, I indicated that the design from the side and real look a lot like the TLX and 3G TL, respectively, and it appears others on here agree. Removing your self-imposed theory that a RWD-platform is a core requirement for luxiry carmakers, how are you feeling that the G70 seems to be copying an Acura design given you are so against Acura sedans.

I'd like to think neither of these two brands have much interest in the other; yet if you believe there's little difference between these two cars then perhaps it would be an easy pleasure to test-drive them back to back?

I think this is the only way you might be self-swayed (or not) either way.

I'm looking forward to your first-hand report!

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 12:13
bnilhome wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
owequitit wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

I don't see Acura TLX when I look at the G70, I see more Infiniti Q70 and maybe a little Mercedes C class and 3 series but mainly Q70. 3rd Gen TL was very angular, G70 is a mostly a more rounded design. I don't think Genesis is copying Acura and don't see it in the G70. You can find any 2 pictures of 2 smallish sedans and find some similarities, does not mean they are copying. They were certainly not copying Acura with the G80 and G90 where I see more S class in the G90 and 5 series/A6 in the G80.

I am using Acura's mid level competitor they have as their flagship compared to Genesis mid level competitor and full on flagship. Up until now Genesis has had no vehicles to compete with a TLX or ILX so why would I compare a TLX or ILX to a G80 or G90, that would be actually more biased against Acura because I would be comparing a lower end Acura car against a higher end Genesis car.

bnilhome
Profile for bnilhome
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 12:38
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
bnilhome wrote:
owequitit wrote:
bnilhome wrote:

I don't see Acura TLX when I look at the G70, I see more Infiniti Q70 and maybe a little Mercedes C class and 3 series but mainly Q70. 3rd Gen TL was very angular, G70 is a mostly a more rounded design. I don't think Genesis is copying Acura and don't see it in the G70. You can find any 2 pictures of 2 smallish sedans and find some similarities, does not mean they are copying. They were certainly not copying Acura with the G80 and G90 where I see more S class in the G90 and 5 series/A6 in the G80.

I am using Acura's mid level competitor they have as their flagship compared to Genesis mid level competitor and full on flagship. Up until now Genesis has had no vehicles to compete with a TLX or ILX so why would I compare a TLX or ILX to a G80 or G90, that would be actually more biased against Acura because I would be comparing a lower end Acura car against a higher end Genesis car.

I think when it comes to Acura vs Genesis we are looking at the brands from two different lenses. Acura has been around longer and as of now has a bigger (yet still small) portfolio of vehicles. Acura's strength is definitely SUVs which is what I am more interested in (as are most consumers nowadays) and its weakest product is the RLX. The TLX is a much better value proposition and looks very stunning in person in the A-Spec model. Does it have room for improvement...sure. But if Acura wants to continue moving in the direction of PCP that it has shown with the NSX, TLX to some degree, and most definitely the new RDX, I would expect the new RLX or any future flagship sedan to be dramatically different than the current RLX. But, with automakers shrinking the number of sedans they are offering due to changes in consumers buying habits, I am not sure what sedans will remain a couple years from now. From your perspective you are down on Acura for not having a 5-series quality product on the market and Genesis is focusing on that particular segment. From my perspective I am astonished that Genesis has waited so long to enter the crossover market as more and more consumers are buying crossovers, and once someone has purchased a CUV they are not likely to return to the sedan segment. I would love to see a Genesis SUV hit the market and see how it stacks up to the new RDX out now.

Just out of curiosity what is the current vehicle you are driving, and what Acuras have you owned in the past?

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: Car and Driver 2019 Genesis G70 First Drive.    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 16:36
bnilhome wrote:

At first I thought owequitit, lexusgs, and DCR were the same people due to their language and the way they come across, as well as the similar sounding RWD diatribes, but then one time owequitit and lexusgs got into an argument. Also with how involved owequitit and atomic got into their Tesla debate, I don't think that would leave him with the time to fake posts as two other entities. So it seems like they are different people. Their online personalities are similar though.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0