[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Clarity --> Re: Clarity BEV
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Racing Confirms Gasly for 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Cash incentives for the Canadian Accord?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: CEL problems
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2009 Honda S2000 Edition 100
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0 touring or TLX V6 Tech FWD
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: Honda Passport prototype caught in Los Angeles
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX & Honda Passport
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: 2019 ILX

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author
  Post New Thread
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-15-2018 21:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
CarmB wrote:

The new RDX is here and reviews are quite good. Itís a good thing, yes? When the MDX redesign arrives, it will be judged on its own merits and, really, the RDX will not enter the equation. They donít compete, not even close. The automotive press will not likely judge how the MDX stacks up against the RDX. Rather it will talk about how the MDX stacks up as a premium three-row. It will likely compare it to other three-rows. Thatís not the RDX.

You've summed it up pretty well here, CarmB.

Except that's not the argument but rather twisted again..... The original statement was that the RDX interior will be acceptable if Acura copied it right into the MDX. The fact is while acceptable the MDX, must and I fully expect improve on the RDX theme. I agree Acura should not hold back the RDX to bolster the MDX and I appreciate that they finally seem to get it, but again its ridiculous to think they will not improve on a vehicle that starts almost where the RDX tops out. Where does the extra 15k or so to the MDX advance vs RDX advance go then, since it was mention something about a 7k premium being to much to ask?

The value game can only go so far, if you build um right they will come. One or two full generations of top notch products and they will see transaction prices increase. It could be argued that if they didn't go the smart luxury route styling aside they wouldn't be this far behind because in my opinion every generation of this current Acura (RDX included before 3G) is a step back from the previous interior wise(ok maybe not the RLX except no real offered whereas available last generation). I shake my head everytime I see some of the cost cut quality issues in our MDX , trim pieces breaking for no apparent reason, misaligned trim etc. and while I had some minor issues early with my 4G TL after 9 years still solid no squeaks over the bumps, not sure I will be able to say the same with our MDX if we even keep it that long.....

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 07:58
Regarding build quality re the new RDX and where the MDX is headed, there is no meaningful feedback yet to consider.

Obviously if build quality heads in a bad direction, no one will see that as a positive. If Acura isnít synonymous with excellent build quality then there isnít much point to Acura existing, really. There are plenty of options for those who covet style enough to live with dubious underlying build quality.

Well made, more reasonably priced, and so on, is what is expected of Acura as a brand. Take that away and itís pretty much game over, really.

This is about Acura upping its game to not fall too far behind in performance and perceived quality. Acura doesnít have to be the absolute best in that regard but it does have to be ballpark. Yet it also has to lead in true value which means more reasonable pricing than many competitors and superior absolute build quality. Both are needed for Acura to be regarded as a success.

Quality without a lot of the BS accompanying other offerings, to me that has always been how Acura would matter.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 10:42
I can tell you unequivocally that the RDX interior is much better built than the interior in my BMW. I won't say that all design elements or textures are better but, as a whole, it's not hard to argue that Acura has equaled or surpassed BMW with this interior and is competitive with Audi. So yes, if they essentially dropped that into the MDX they'd be in great shape, even at the higher price point. With that said I'd expect some differentiation of design.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 12:42
CarmB wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
CarmB wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:
Some food for thought:

I was helping my mom shop for used small/midsize luxury SUV. We were mostly looking at last generation X3s and Q5s (2014-17). We also looked at a Lexus NX as well as an RX. Her favorite interior was the Audi, followed by the X3, and the Lexi were a distant third. Just for the fun of it, she sat in a new RDX and she said it was ok but cheaper feeling/looking than the older German models - that should be a concern if other shoppers feel the same way. She has always liked the clean, classic German look...

So yes the new RDX is an improvement but does it walk away from everything in its class, especially if money isnít a huge factor? No, unfortunately.

I also think the new MDXís interior needs to be a step up from the RDX. It just makes sense...youíre not just paying for the extra size and room.

The new Lincoln Navigator is selling like crazy at 90k, itís not just because itís a behemoth...

My point is that at a $7,000 premium, for the most part, you really are paying just enough to cover extra size and room. Keep in mind that in order to deliver comparable performance, the MDX - being a heavier vehicle likely to haul more at times - requires a more powerful engine. That alone adds thousands to the cost.

Not really, it does not cost that much to make a larger vehicle if that is all you do, make the vehicle larger but little else. If that was the case the Toyota Avalon would have been a expensive sedan as it has always had similar room to a Lexus LS. Chevy Caprices, Impalas, and Grand Marquis were big sedans, some RWD, yet did not cost much. Same with big minivans like Odysseys, Sienna's, etc. It is not that expensive to build a big vehicle, you are only talking about maybe a few hundred dollars in extra steel/aluminum and a couple hundred to maybe a thousand for extra seats.

The reason luxury car makers charge so much extra once you go up in size/segment is simply because they can and people will pay it, not because it costs so much more to build a larger car and give it some more luxury.

3 series is normally bought by younger single people without kids, they assume they don't have as much money so they price it accordingly, 5 series are more commonly bought by older people who are married and have kids so they figure they have more money and price it accordingly, 7 series is normally bought by even older people, mostly very successful, with a lot of money who want top of the line and they price it accordingly but it is doubtful its really costs BMW or Mercedes so much money between model lines just to build the larger vehicles even with some more luxury, they make a ton of profit on the E class/5 series and S class/7 series, much more so then a 3 series or C class because of how much of a premium they charge for the larger cars, the E class is or was Mercedes most profitable vehicle based on sales even though they sell many more C class.

Acura can certainly do a MDX with a nicer more upscale interior then a RDX and not charge a ton more then the $7000 premium. The MDX has always been a larger nicer vehicle then the RDX, it has always had a nicer interior to go along with the added size and they still did not charge the hefty premium like the Germans do which is why both vehicles have been pretty successful for Acura. A MDX is not just a RDX with extra seats, it is built on a bigger more upscale platform, has a more powerful engine, more advanced AWD system, and it has more luxury/features.

The number of features in an RDX depends on which version you buy. You donít need to buy an MDX to get more features because you can just pay more and get more features in the RDX instead.

Again, letís not forget that the MDX is not exactly a more upmarket version of the RDX. The RDX is a five-seater and the MDX is a three-row. Different beasts. If you tell someone shopping for a five-seater that only by opting for a three-row can you get an interior of a particular calibre, what youíre saying is in effect, ďIf you canít accept going with a three-row, we donít want to sell you a vehicle after all.Ē

Acura doesnít offer a range of five-seat SUVs. It only makes one. There is a rumor that itís looking at making a second smaller five-seater but thatís not something in the mix today. As such, for someone with zero interest in a three-row and who wants a five-seater exclusively, the interior offered in the RDX is all that matters. There is no Plan B.

Acura only offers a handful of models. Canít afford to hold back any product in order to position another.

Seems to me that Acura needs to build its cars - all its cars - to a higher standard than has been the case in recent years. This is what it appears to be doing with the brand new RDX. If it means that the RDX and MDX are not going to be as far apart in interior quality as had been the case, what of it.

They are separate products aimed at different segments and frankly I doubt it matters how much more upmarket the MDX is in interior design compared to the RDX. It matters more that both the RDX and MDX are compelling products all around.

This applies across the board and what that means is that you donít do the ILX to a lower standard to make it easier to make the TLX look better. Acura did that sort of thing for years and look where it got them.

The new RDX is here and reviews are quite good. Itís a good thing, yes? When the MDX redesign arrives, it will be judged on its own merits and, really, the RDX will not enter the equation. They donít compete, not even close. The automotive press will not likely judge how the MDX stacks up against the RDX. Rather it will talk about how the MDX stacks up as a premium three-row. It will likely compare it to other three-rows. Thatís not the RDX.

Your argument sounds more like you want a RDX, don't want a MDX and if you get a RDX you want it to have the same interior, same luxury, same quality, same features as the MDX you don't want or can't afford. Sounds like you just want the only thing you are missing by getting the RDX is the added size you don't want or need but don't want it to be you are also missing out on added quality, added luxury, better interior, better vehicle overall and you don't want there to be the possibility that Acura held back some on the car you may be buying or are interested in.

It sounds more personal but it is not realistic in the luxury market. At times I wish lower end cars also had more of the quality and luxury of the high cars, I wish my Lexus GS was as nice and had as many features as a Lexus LS but that is simply not the case, I have to step up to a LS to get that added luxury, quality, and features, and they both have unique interior designs.

What works for a entry level CUV simply won't work for a mid level CUV. The RDX interior/interior design is nice for a entry level CUV and NX, Infiniti QX50, X3 competitor but it will not cut it for a MDX or X5, RX, Cayanne, Q5/Q7, etc competitor. The RDX has a more sporty theme that suits its small size more, the MDX would need a more luxurious more opulent theme/design that suits its extra size and luxury. It may not deviate a ton and be totally different from the RDX but it still needs to be nicer, more wood, more metal, more physical buttons because of more features, softer leather, more features, more luxury standard, higher quality plastics and pieces.

Acura does not need to hold back on the RDX in order to give the MDX a nicer more luxurious interior, the RDX theme is more sporty, smaller, and to beat the small sportier competitors in its class or at least be competitive, they don't have to hold back for that, I am the biggest critic of Acura holding back and even with the RDX they held back in areas but it is also impressive and competitive in other areas. The MDX needs to go with a more luxurious, more unique design, with more features that fully competes or beats the X5, Q5/7, RX, etc.

If Acura gave the MDX the same interior as the RDX, that would be Acura holding back on the MDX or their flagship SUV just for the RDX which is something they really don't want, they held back on the RLX and look what happened to the RLX and the rest of the lineup, they all suffered.

smArt
Profile for smArt
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 15:42
lexusgs wrote:
CarmB wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
CarmB wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:
Some food for thought:

I was helping my mom shop for used small/midsize luxury SUV. We were mostly looking at last generation X3s and Q5s (2014-17). We also looked at a Lexus NX as well as an RX. Her favorite interior was the Audi, followed by the X3, and the Lexi were a distant third. Just for the fun of it, she sat in a new RDX and she said it was ok but cheaper feeling/looking than the older German models - that should be a concern if other shoppers feel the same way. She has always liked the clean, classic German look...

So yes the new RDX is an improvement but does it walk away from everything in its class, especially if money isnít a huge factor? No, unfortunately.

I also think the new MDXís interior needs to be a step up from the RDX. It just makes sense...youíre not just paying for the extra size and room.

The new Lincoln Navigator is selling like crazy at 90k, itís not just because itís a behemoth...

My point is that at a $7,000 premium, for the most part, you really are paying just enough to cover extra size and room. Keep in mind that in order to deliver comparable performance, the MDX - being a heavier vehicle likely to haul more at times - requires a more powerful engine. That alone adds thousands to the cost.

Not really, it does not cost that much to make a larger vehicle if that is all you do, make the vehicle larger but little else. If that was the case the Toyota Avalon would have been a expensive sedan as it has always had similar room to a Lexus LS. Chevy Caprices, Impalas, and Grand Marquis were big sedans, some RWD, yet did not cost much. Same with big minivans like Odysseys, Sienna's, etc. It is not that expensive to build a big vehicle, you are only talking about maybe a few hundred dollars in extra steel/aluminum and a couple hundred to maybe a thousand for extra seats.

The reason luxury car makers charge so much extra once you go up in size/segment is simply because they can and people will pay it, not because it costs so much more to build a larger car and give it some more luxury.

3 series is normally bought by younger single people without kids, they assume they don't have as much money so they price it accordingly, 5 series are more commonly bought by older people who are married and have kids so they figure they have more money and price it accordingly, 7 series is normally bought by even older people, mostly very successful, with a lot of money who want top of the line and they price it accordingly but it is doubtful its really costs BMW or Mercedes so much money between model lines just to build the larger vehicles even with some more luxury, they make a ton of profit on the E class/5 series and S class/7 series, much more so then a 3 series or C class because of how much of a premium they charge for the larger cars, the E class is or was Mercedes most profitable vehicle based on sales even though they sell many more C class.

Acura can certainly do a MDX with a nicer more upscale interior then a RDX and not charge a ton more then the $7000 premium. The MDX has always been a larger nicer vehicle then the RDX, it has always had a nicer interior to go along with the added size and they still did not charge the hefty premium like the Germans do which is why both vehicles have been pretty successful for Acura. A MDX is not just a RDX with extra seats, it is built on a bigger more upscale platform, has a more powerful engine, more advanced AWD system, and it has more luxury/features.

The number of features in an RDX depends on which version you buy. You donít need to buy an MDX to get more features because you can just pay more and get more features in the RDX instead.

Again, letís not forget that the MDX is not exactly a more upmarket version of the RDX. The RDX is a five-seater and the MDX is a three-row. Different beasts. If you tell someone shopping for a five-seater that only by opting for a three-row can you get an interior of a particular calibre, what youíre saying is in effect, ďIf you canít accept going with a three-row, we donít want to sell you a vehicle after all.Ē

Acura doesnít offer a range of five-seat SUVs. It only makes one. There is a rumor that itís looking at making a second smaller five-seater but thatís not something in the mix today. As such, for someone with zero interest in a three-row and who wants a five-seater exclusively, the interior offered in the RDX is all that matters. There is no Plan B.

Acura only offers a handful of models. Canít afford to hold back any product in order to position another.

Seems to me that Acura needs to build its cars - all its cars - to a higher standard than has been the case in recent years. This is what it appears to be doing with the brand new RDX. If it means that the RDX and MDX are not going to be as far apart in interior quality as had been the case, what of it.

They are separate products aimed at different segments and frankly I doubt it matters how much more upmarket the MDX is in interior design compared to the RDX. It matters more that both the RDX and MDX are compelling products all around.

This applies across the board and what that means is that you donít do the ILX to a lower standard to make it easier to make the TLX look better. Acura did that sort of thing for years and look where it got them.

Your argument sounds more like you want a RDX, don't want a MDX and if you get a RDX you want it to have the same interior, same luxury, same quality, same features as the MDX you don't want or can't afford. Sounds like you just want the only thing you are missing by getting the RDX is the added size you don't want or need but don't want it to be you are also missing out on added quality, added luxury, better interior, better vehicle overall and you don't want there to be the possibility that Acura held back some on the car you may be buying or are interested in.

It sounds more personal but it is not realistic in the luxury market. At times I wish lower end cars also had more of the quality and luxury of the high cars, I wish my Lexus GS was as nice and had as many features as a Lexus LS but that is simply not the case, I have to step up to a LS to get that added luxury, quality, and features, and they both have unique interior designs.

What works for a entry level CUV simply won't work for a mid level CUV. The RDX interior/interior design is nice for a entry level CUV and NX, Infiniti QX50, X3 competitor but it will not cut it for a MDX or X5, RX, Cayanne, Q5/Q7, etc competitor. The RDX has a more sporty theme that suits its small size more, the MDX would need a more luxurious more opulent theme/design that suits its extra size and luxury. It may not deviate a ton and be totally different from the RDX but it still needs to be nicer, more wood, more metal, more physical buttons because of more features, softer leather, more features, more luxury standard, higher quality plastics and pieces.

Acura does not need to hold back on the RDX in order to give the MDX a nicer more luxurious interior, the RDX theme is more sporty, smaller, and to beat the small sportier competitors in its class or at least be competitive, they don't have to hold back for that, I am the biggest critic of Acura holding back and even with the RDX they held back in areas but it is also impressive and competitive in other areas. The MDX needs to go with a more luxurious, more unique design, with more features that fully competes or beats the X5, Q5/7, RX, etc.

If Acura gave the MDX the same interior as the RDX, that would be Acura holding back on the MDX or their flagship SUV just for the RDX which is something they really don't want, they held back on the RLX and look what happened to the RLX and the rest of the lineup, they all suffered.

lexusgs, I think you've unriddled Carm B!

Carm B, The MDX is an upmarket version of the RDX and not a three-row RDX. That would be an RDX-L.

Acura putting better materials in a higher product doesn't mean they've held back on the lower one. Overall rock solid build quality should be the standard across all Acura models no matter what materials are used, but the quality of materials should increase the higher up the ladder the product is. There should be a greater use of leatherd surfaces and softer touch points in an MDX interior than in the RDX or a TLX than ILX, but all should be built to last.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 21:09
gofast182 wrote:
I can tell you unequivocally that the RDX interior is much better built than the interior in my BMW. I won't say that all design elements or textures are better but, as a whole, it's not hard to argue that Acura has equaled or surpassed BMW with this interior and is competitive with Audi. So yes, if they essentially dropped that into the MDX they'd be in great shape, even at the higher price point. With that said I'd expect some differentiation of design.

That not saying much, Acura in my opinion always had better built interiors than BMWs, Audi was known for a long time as possibly the best but they seem to have lost their way. Mercedes seems to have come around as the standard but then again never really sat in one long enough to offer full opinion. Lexus is known for their precision but on lower end models do use a lot of plastic as well.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 21:23
gofast182 wrote:

That is not saying much, IMO Acura interiors compariably priced were always better built than BMW. Audi was known as the standard for a while but they seem to have lost their way. Mercedes seems to have gotten their act together and are ready to blow everyone away but I haven't sat in any long enough to offer an opinion. Lexus was always known for precision and tightly built cockpits, but even they use a lot of hard plastics and painted surfaces on the lower models. Point being if more buyers see the changes in Acura products they will start to see momentum, but if I was a betting man I would say they are not going to carbon copy interiors, themes yes but materials no. Like I dont expect the MDX to offer leatherette for example. We can look back at this post about a year from now and compare.

Last edited by JeffX on 07-17-2018 13:18
CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-16-2018 22:39
The RDX is currently the only five-seat SUV Acura offers. Period. As such, itís the best five-seat SUV Acura offers. Period.

This is not rocket science. Since the RDX is not part of a range of five-seat SUV models, it canít be regarded to be part of a range of models with varying degrees of quality. The MDX is quite simply irrelevant in this regard. It has an entirely different mission and hence, the RDX and MDX simply will not be compared to each other. Itís thus incumbent on Acura to deliver an RDX that hits all the notes Acura wants to hit with a five-seat SUV because thatís all there is.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2018 12:24
CarmB wrote:
The RDX is currently the only five-seat SUV Acura offers. Period. As such, itís the best five-seat SUV Acura offers. Period.

This is not rocket science. Since the RDX is not part of a range of five-seat SUV models, it canít be regarded to be part of a range of models with varying degrees of quality. The MDX is quite simply irrelevant in this regard. It has an entirely different mission and hence, the RDX and MDX simply will not be compared to each other. Itís thus incumbent on Acura to deliver an RDX that hits all the notes Acura wants to hit with a five-seat SUV because thatís all there is.

It is incumbent on Acura to deliver a MDX, which is a more important vehicle to them that hits all the notes Acura want to hit with a 7 seat SUV because that is all there is. The MDX can not be seen as mediocre, not seen as they just slapped a entry level RDX interior in the MDX, etc. It needs to be seen as a worthy upgrade over the RDX in all areas, not just size and seats.

aids333
Profile for aids333
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2018 13:03
lexusgs wrote:
CarmB wrote:

It is incumbent on Acura to deliver a MDX, which is a more important vehicle to them that hits all the notes Acura want to hit with a 7 seat SUV because that is all there is. The MDX can not be seen as mediocre, not seen as they just slapped a entry level RDX interior in the MDX, etc. It needs to be seen as a worthy upgrade over the RDX in all areas, not just size and seats.

Is this conversation still about the ILX? Any new info?

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-17-2018 22:49
2019 ILX production starts in October.
dstewart
Profile for dstewart
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 13:51
Acura rep visited today, outside will have some changes, new dash, it keeping the engine though I will update once I hear some more!
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 14:09
dstewart wrote:
Acura rep visited today, outside will have some changes, new dash, it keeping the engine though I will update once I hear some more!

Really surprised that Acura Dealers would even want to have these in their inventory. Maybe they don't have a choice?

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 15:35
dstewart wrote:

I'm guessing they might go to "Base", "Tech", "A-spec" and "Advance" models like the RDX, MDX and TLX.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 16:19
dstewart wrote:

Considering the same engine/transmission is still good enough for the TLX base model, I canít imagine that replacing it in the revised ILX would be considered. The dash is near the top of the list of shortcomings in the current version. The question is, can Acura improve quality feel using an old platform originally developed for the previous Civic. When the first mid-model refresh was done, Acura did replace a subpar powertrain. Unfortunately the interior was tweaked when it should have been fully re-designed. Meanwhile improvements in overall feel were minimal at best, possibly because there just isnít enough potential in the current platform to do any better.

It could be that Acura is hoping two out of three (powertrain and interior where they need to be, platform refinement not so much) will be good enough as a stop-gap. Itís a shame Acura didnít get the interior right back when the powertrain was improved. Would have improved the modelís chances at the time. Might prove to be too little, too late, this time. Still, theyíre selling ILXs every month (roughly 6,000 in the US so far this year) as is, so keeping those sales, however modest, likely is regarded as better than no sales at all.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2018 17:19
Hondu wrote:
dstewart wrote:

I'm guessing they might go to "Base", "Tech", "A-spec" and "Advance" models like the RDX, MDX and TLX.

Advance is the only thing missing from the current lineup but considering their trying to charge 35k for an A SPEC, there is no way this turd could command a 38k asking price. Personally, I think it should just come in A SPEC trim for 30K and maybe they will sell a few hundred more a month. The chasis is so far behind though that I feel like there is no hope for the ILX and adding things like the precision cockpit to it will only waste the new tech excitement in a uncompetitive product.

Calgarian
Profile for Calgarian
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 10:52
The only reason for the changes to the ILX is an advertising photo.
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 15:30
Mikeydred wrote:
Hondu wrote:
dstewart wrote:

Advance is the only thing missing from the current lineup but considering their trying to charge 35k for an A SPEC, there is no way this turd could command a 38k asking price. Personally, I think it should just come in A SPEC trim for 30K and maybe they will sell a few hundred more a month. The chasis is so far behind though that I feel like there is no hope for the ILX and adding things like the precision cockpit to it will only waste the new tech excitement in a uncompetitive product.

That would be the A-spec + Technology Plus model, which I imagine would just become an Advance model.

My guess is they keep prices essentially the same and offer the four model classes. Though I would also think they could go the RLX route and maybe one A-spec and one ďAdvanceĒ model.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 16:25
Hondu wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Hondu wrote:
dstewart wrote:

That would be the A-spec + Technology Plus model, which I imagine would just become an Advance model.

My guess is they keep prices essentially the same and offer the four model classes. Though I would also think they could go the RLX route and maybe one A-spec and one ďAdvanceĒ model.

There is nothing Advanced at all about the ILX. The new, much less expensive Civic pretty much whups it's ass in every category.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2018 17:29
superchg2 wrote:
Hondu wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Hondu wrote:
dstewart wrote:

There is nothing Advanced at all about the ILX. The new, much less expensive Civic pretty much whups it's ass in every category.

That is the problem with Acura basing their entire lineup on FWD Honda's, every time a new improved Honda comes out it one ups the Acura product in several ways and it makes even less sense to get the Acura.

dstewart
Profile for dstewart
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 07:35
Yeah, I hear ya. I enjoy my ILX but as you, me and everyone else on this forum knows.. It can use a good amount of love to be competitive let alone compete against its own "little brother" the Civic. I know they wont but man it would be sweet if they threw the type R engine in it and the manual trans. spruced the exterior bits up a little hell even tease it call it the integra or make an ilx type-R they have ALL the options they have all the equipment and we know damn well a manual turbo type-r engine would sell that car they could even make limited numbers. It would sell. But for the practical side of the ILX for what it is it performs alright for a base price lower than its competition but it certainly can use some more.

Unfortunately they will more than likely keep it the same but with updated design elements. It's going to give them the same results it has been alright sales, better sales when they drop that price all the way down hell that's why I got mine because the price tanked to 22k for me. I don't know we will see but if they don't add some more personality to the thing it will stay the same "meh" car in their line-up.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 10:02
Most likely, Acura knows the updating will be a stop-gap measure to keep the ILX in the mix. It was either that or stop selling an ILX while it worked on a full re-design. I suspect that originally Acura was moving towards doing the next ILX based on the Civic/Accord platform. That model could easily have been ready to debut as the upcoming 2019.

Would have been a mistake, though. The Civic/Accord platform is quite good but already the platform has been in use for three model years worth of Civics and would be entering MY 4 by the time the 2019 ILX was launched.

Instead we may well get a new TLX platform followed in less than two years by a derived ILX. In the meantime weíll get an ILX that, if priced right, will generate a few sales. Good drivetrain, decent interior, attractive exterior styling, excellent reliability. Really not a horrible product in absolute terms, though not what Acura should be selling, long-term.

By the way, Acura absolutely should do an Integra. I would say that if it spun off a three-door based on ILX 2.0, there would be plenty of interest in such a creation. Being the former owner of two Integras - a long, long time ago - nothing would please me more than to see the Integra badge yet again attached to an Acura. Not having an affordable performance option in the mix is a mistake. At the very least, a reborn Integra would, I think, generate a lot of interest and help promote the idea that Acura does have an interest in putting performance back into the mix.

dstewart
Profile for dstewart
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 10:37
I work at Acura and I love seeing the integras show up along with the old nsx. If they made a "hatch" from the ilx made it a 2 door a manual etc essentially build off the rsx people loved those. Name it the integra have a base option and a type R again they have the resources readily available and everyone knows even a half assed attempt would sell.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 11:24
lexusgs wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Hondu wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Hondu wrote:
dstewart wrote:

That is the problem with Acura basing their entire lineup on FWD Honda's, every time a new improved Honda comes out it one ups the Acura product in several ways and it makes even less sense to get the Acura.

With respect to the current paradigm, that's largely because the model cycles are such that new, updated Hondas are always released first leaving 'aging' Acuras for 2+ years. It's a strategic mistake they should've corrected years ago. Unique platforms will help ameliorate this going forward.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 12:24
gofast182 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Hondu wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Hondu wrote:
dstewart wrote:

With respect to the current paradigm, that's largely because the model cycles are such that new, updated Hondas are always released first leaving 'aging' Acuras for 2+ years. It's a strategic mistake they should've corrected years ago. Unique platforms will help ameliorate this going forward.

Depends on what exactly they are calling a "unique platform". If the "unique platform" according to Acura is just another FWD transverse platform then it won't really make any difference as it will still be the same basic platform used with Honda's and it will be reported/reviewed that way.

Also it is not just platforms, it is interiors and powertrains Acura is given, not only did they cut costs using the same platforms and powerplants as Honda's but they cut costs and cheapened Acura interiors to where they were barely upgrades over common Honda's so that is even less room they have with Acura and Honda when not only are the platforms cost cut and basically the same as Honda's but they also cut costs and cheapened interiors to where there is not much room between them and Honda's.

UteTLX88
Profile for UteTLX88
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 14:35
Iím pretty sure everyone on here is just sick of your negativity. You are welcome to your opinion but if you hate it that much, why are you on a honda/acura enthusiasts website?
THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 20:29
UteTLX88 wrote:
Iím pretty sure everyone on here is just sick of your negativity. You are welcome to your opinion but if you hate it that much, why are you on a honda/acura enthusiasts website?

You can still be a Honda/Acura enthusiast and be negative. Hating what Acura has become SHOULD be what an enthusiast does...

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 21:08
It is the right time right now to bring back the Integra...
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-23-2018 22:44
lexusgs wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
lexusgs wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
Hondu wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
Hondu wrote:
dstewart wrote:

Depends on what exactly they are calling a "unique platform". If the "unique platform" according to Acura is just another FWD transverse platform then it won't really make any difference as it will still be the same basic platform used with Honda's and it will be reported/reviewed that way.

Also it is not just platforms, it is interiors and powertrains Acura is given, not only did they cut costs using the same platforms and powerplants as Honda's but they cut costs and cheapened Acura interiors to where they were barely upgrades over common Honda's so that is even less room they have with Acura and Honda when not only are the platforms cost cut and basically the same as Honda's but they also cut costs and cheapened interiors to where there is not much room between them and Honda's.

There is a ray of sunshine coming through all of this Acura mediocrity
and that is the new RDX.
Dollar for Dollar, it has to be the best entry level luxury SUV out there.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: 2019 ILX    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-24-2018 09:02
The RDX is the first full redesign delivered using a new blueprint. Considering the positive reviews itís been getting, you would think weíll be seeing more of the same with the rest of the line-up - the NSX aside. What has to be kept in mind, though, is that the 2019 ILX does not appear to be part of this transformation. Itís a revision meant to buy time because the priority has to be to get the TLX full redesign to market prior to doing the next ILX. It wouldnít make sense to start with the ILX but itís an aging design, overdue for a re-design.

Hopefully, weíll see an end to a pattern that caused Acura offerings to seem to be consistently lagging. Yet that substantial a change involves a transition period of sorts. Still, if next year we get a TLX as well-regarded as the RDX, the foundation for a successful Acura overhaul will have been laid. It should lead to re-designs of the MDX, ILX, RLX, hopefully augmented by the launching of a CDX, RSX, legitimate Type S variants etc. Three years in, the transformation could well be quite impressive. The 2019 ILX? Not a part of this transformation when you come right down to it.

Thread Page - 1 2 3 [4] 5
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0