[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Fuel Cell Technology > > Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-14-2018 11:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So, the Shell station in Newport, by Fashion Island, on Jamboree finally went retail.

They got four pumps! Two H70 and two H35. They charge $15.07 which is about a dime more than the two pump UCI up the street, also on Jamboree.

However, it takes awhile to pump... it's slower. On the web, they claim:

"This is a limited performance station. Refueling time will be longer and your range may be less than normal especially after heavy station use. Both dispensers are now operational for H70."

That means we got two stations within five miles or so of home! Plus the one in Torrance right next to my wife's work.

Plus the "emergency" stations in Costa Mesa and Long Beach.

There's also working on a new station (they've been working forever it seems) on another one by University and the 405. That would be very close to us as well.

Looking at the map, I see than the Bay Area still sucks.

I suppose there's a point why for Clarity Generation One, AHM wanted only people living and working along the 405 corridor from Santa Monica to Irvine.

https://cafcp.org/stationmap

NoClarity
Profile for NoClarity
Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 04:48
There are only like four guys servicing the H2 station up and down CA.

I talked to one dude the other day, he was just back from the Harris Ranch station and dispatched to the South SF station.

All that driving to service the stationn sure factor unfavorably in well to wheels emission of H2 cars.

NoClarity
Profile for NoClarity
Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-04-2018 04:50
Granted, I think they're driving a fleet of Hyundai FCEV.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-08-2018 17:53
NoClarity wrote:
There are only like four guys servicing the H2 station up and down CA.

I talked to one dude the other day, he was just back from the Harris Ranch station and dispatched to the South SF station.

All that driving to service the stationn sure factor unfavorably in well to wheels emission of H2 cars.

Did you catch the name of the company? There are at least three in SoCal.

Hmm... the UCI station has superb service. If it goes on da fritz, a technician shows up very quick, within the hour. I can only think of a single instance where it was down overnight.

Now then, for long distance driving you still can't touch a good old ICE.

We did a round trip to the Puget Sound. At one point, we gassed up in Weed (filled up the tank) and drove to Santa Nella averaging 78 mph and 35 mpg. Had a nice light meal at Andersen's Pea Soup around 2:30 PM and gassed up.... that's about 340 miles. took under 4 1/2 hours and we still had about four gallons left in the tank.

We could have kept going but we were not in a real hurry.

Come to think about it, I saw a couple of Teslas on the I5.... they were doing... oh perhaps 70 mph. A simple pair of speed bumps looking for electrons. And, of course, the obligatory bunch of Teslas in Portlandia. We didn't go over to Seattle (*) so there were no BEVs where we stayed.

We did see quite a few Clarity PHEVs all over.

(*) Seattle is going from worse to worser... It's in a race to the bottom with San Francisco. Restaurants now can't serve straws and plastic utensils.

NoClarity
Profile for NoClarity
Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 21:31
No, I did not catch the name of the company, but I recognized the same guy on a couple of occasions.

We have a superb service too. It's just that now that there are more FCV, I have to be more careful about not be the last guy to fill up late at night with negative range left on my Clarity.

I have more than 20K as of a few weeks ago. Probably will hit 21K otw home tonight.

NoClarity
Profile for NoClarity
Homeless in Seattle, Portland Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2018 21:38
In Seattle and Portland, we saw a bunch of druggies and homeless tents all over the place in Portland.

Being from SF, it shouldn't have surprised me, but kind of gave me a "WTF happened to this country" moment.

Is it always like this? While walking with my daughter in downtown Seattle, we saw a guy passed out on the sidewalk with an opened tuna can on his mouth.

Then, nearby, my teen daughter pointed out a hypodermic needle on top of the trash can.

All this in daylight and in tourist area.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Homeless in Seattle, Portland Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 00:23
NoClarity wrote:
In Seattle and Portland, we saw a bunch of druggies and homeless tents all over the place in Portland.

Being from SF, it shouldn't have surprised me, but kind of gave me a "WTF happened to this country" moment.

Is it always like this? While walking with my daughter in downtown Seattle, we saw a guy passed out on the sidewalk with an opened tuna can on his mouth.

Then, nearby, my teen daughter pointed out a hypodermic needle on top of the trash can.

All this in daylight and in tourist area.

No.... it was not.

Seattle and Portland were beautiful places until not so long ago. So were San Francisco and LA.

Then their local City Halls started to pass out freebees and the "homeless" moved in.

Los Angeles is worse, in the sense that it's bigger. The local City Hall wanted another 100++ million to "fix the situation", like hell. I recall seeing tents on the overpasses over the 110 Fwy in South Central. Then they moved into the Santa Ana River until the OC Sheriff kicked them out... over the objections of LA bleeding heart liberals.

Good Weather + easy place to get + lots of free goodies = chaos.

Remember, for us Portland and Seattle are cold in the winter, but for folks in the Midwest and NE they are warm places year round.

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 01:56
TonyEX wrote:
So, the Shell station in Newport, by Fashion Island, on Jamboree finally went retail.

They got four pumps! Two H70 and two H35. They charge $15.07 which is about a dime more than the two pump UCI up the street, also on Jamboree.

"This is a limited performance station. Refueling time will be longer and your range may be less than normal especially after heavy station use. Both dispensers are now operational for H70."

That means we got two stations within five miles or so of home! Plus the one in Torrance right next to my wife's work.

There's also working on a new station (they've been working forever it seems) on another one by University and the 405. That would be very close to us as well.

I suppose there's a point why for Clarity Generation One, AHM wanted only people living and working along the 405 corridor from Santa Monica to Irvine.

Holy hell Tony... I typically read your posts from Northern New England and can't relate geographically to what you're talking about (ok there are other things you say that I also can't relate too as well;) but today I'm almost in your 'hood!

My wife and I have spent time down in San Diego, up to San Marcos and then today up to Laguna beach' then Newport Beach (drove right by Fashion Island). Later we passed by Irvine signs as we cut over to Riverside (it's so flippin' dry..do you even have any rivers out here?? ;) on our way to Palm Springs. The number of Teslas especially in the Laguna/Newport area is staggering. They went from almost a novelty to more common than just about anything outside of Civics, Corollas and Camrys out here. Hell in 3 days I've only seen 4 or 5 each of my precious Gen 1 TSXs and S2Ks out here but I've seen roughly 100 Teslas!

The McLarens, Lambos and Ferraris, Mazaratis and M and AMG coupes were all pretty sweet to see. If you were around Laguna/Newport today - Did you see the Magnum PI-esque red Testarosa parked on the oceanside of Route 1 somewhere around Laguna?

It's a bit dry out here for me (the land - not the air - dry air is fine) but I think this is certainly a great place to visit and as a car guy from a small city in NewEngland the cars out here are great. Oh yeah the food and beer scene is great too - we enjoyed out tour of Stone brewery as well.

I can't relate to the hydrogen issues but I do think I saw a grey or dark silver Clarity between Newport Beach and Irvine area today (I forgot what color you have).

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2018 22:08
LudeLeRoy wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

Holy hell Tony... I typically read your posts from Northern New England and can't relate geographically to what you're talking about (ok there are other things you say that I also can't relate too as well;) but today I'm almost in your 'hood!

My wife and I have spent time down in San Diego, up to San Marcos and then today up to Laguna beach' then Newport Beach (drove right by Fashion Island). Later we passed by Irvine signs as we cut over to Riverside (it's so flippin' dry..do you even have any rivers out here?? ;) on our way to Palm Springs. The number of Teslas especially in the Laguna/Newport area is staggering. They went from almost a novelty to more common than just about anything outside of Civics, Corollas and Camrys out here. Hell in 3 days I've only seen 4 or 5 each of my precious Gen 1 TSXs and S2Ks out here but I've seen roughly 100 Teslas!

The McLarens, Lambos and Ferraris, Mazaratis and M and AMG coupes were all pretty sweet to see. If you were around Laguna/Newport today - Did you see the Magnum PI-esque red Testarosa parked on the oceanside of Route 1 somewhere around Laguna?

It's a bit dry out here for me (the land - not the air - dry air is fine) but I think this is certainly a great place to visit and as a car guy from a small city in NewEngland the cars out here are great. Oh yeah the food and beer scene is great too - we enjoyed out tour of Stone brewery as well.

I can't relate to the hydrogen issues but I do think I saw a grey or dark silver Clarity between Newport Beach and Irvine area today (I forgot what color you have).

Actually, for us, today is monsoonal. The humidity is 50% and temps are in the low 80s. For us this is irrationally humid (*), Jehova is punishing the atheists, heathen and commies.

I used to drive by San Marcos, on the 78, twice a day, down to Rancho Bernardo. Very nice place but it must be very hot now with our heat wave. The drive across Camp Pendleton is very nice, you get to see the Marines practice all kinds of drills and planes and helicopters and amphibious units and big ships.... and in any event, it's sooo nice to cruise -against the flow of traffic- along the Pacific Ocean. Light up cigar, crank up the XM Dead Channel, put it on CC at 80 and relax. Naturally, I did not exit at PCH by San Juan Capistrano, but went up to the 405.

Yes, there are lot of nice cars around here... and if you've gone up to Santa Monica and Beverly Hills you'd see more. Years ago, I recall seeing a 911 with a "Newport Chevy" bumper sticker. In my part of town we're a bit more moderate, not so many Ferraris ( there used to be a delicious 246GTS up the hill ) and few Lambos (**) but Benzes are the new Chevy. My neighbor and I, with our mass market Japanese, are the pooh folks.

I don't know which Testarossa you mention... I have seen quite a few over the years, plus your usual run of Ferraris... although my favorite are the Cobras... there are quite a few "exotic" cars around. Honestly, after a while, you just don't care. It really becomes a "no big deal", I'd rather check out the classic Japanese cars at the annual meet in Long Beach - Like the Toyota Crown Shogun with a katana in the trunk.. or all those perfectly restored Datsun 520s and 410s by the East LA Mexican crowd, now those are exotic!!!.

http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/

Stone brewery beer is good, so are the California wines. In general, the food in SoCal is extremely good and extremely varied. Next time try the Korean Tacos. It's a "fusion of fusions"... There are so many restaurants and ethnic types and subtypes and mixtures of the strangest things...

I want to open a Catalan-Japanese Restaurant. Kanto beef paella, toro tapas, uni con escabeche, goya con chorizo. you name it. I think a Pans&Company chain down here would sell like gangsbusters.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d1111369-Reviews-Pans_Company-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Oh, BTW, it's NOT Route One, it's PCH (for Pacific Coast Hwy).

I assume you took the 55 to the 91, past the 60 to the 10 out to Palm Springs.... Dude, it takes courage to drive that route in the late afternoon, the traffic simply sucks, and with all this heat you must have had to contend with broken down cars? It must be crazy humid/hot over there today!! Make sure to enjoy the pool, even if it feels like piss water. At least you cool down when you get out.

It is dry, most rivers are "dry cañadas"... but when it rains, it really pours and the rivers fill up very fast. Most of our water, in The OC at least, is kept underground in a vast aquifer, plus we recycle water, have very large reservoirs and we take what we can get from the North and the Colorado. There is some push to go desal, there's one large plant in Oceanside -or so.

Have fun, are you driving back or flying?

(*) Naturally, the AC in the front of the house crapped out, so we are living in the back of the house until the AC shows up and hopefully repairs it (tomorrow).

(**) People in Newport/Laguna/LA's West Side are more show offs. It just means they got insane money and/or they got insane loans... take your pick.

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2018 02:58
Yeah Tony you're right.. It was the PCH not Route 1 sorry, that's my New England state of mind. :)

I can see what you mean about Teslas and most modern luxury or super cars becoming commonplace after awhile. I come from a small mostly middle class city with harsh winters so I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get out here. I also had to parallel park the rental behind a brand new McLaren which upped the ante - thank god I nailed it ( the parking job) first try.

I agree - the humidity and heat combo for the first half our trip was pretty brutal - although still not as bad as a heat wave in NE would be (almost always high humidity accompanies high heat). Thank god it poured the other night in Palm Springs - and yes, AMAZINGY the piss warm pool ended up being refreshing that night and thence were downright chilly after the thundershowers. Back in San Diego it's finally cooled off to 78ish - more typical of San Diego (where we will finish our stay before driving home).

I didn't dabble in much Asian cuisine nor did I make it to In n Out Burger (think you've referenced before) but found great Italian, Mexican, American and something that was "Hawaian". The rooftop restaurant on top of a Lexus dealer in Escondido was a cool set up, with good food.

Flying back tomorrow AM as driving would take too long although a coast to coast road trip is a bucket lister as well as the Tail of Dragon I the S2k.

Anyway, my wife is ready to move here tomorrow while I would like to visit again soon.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Newport Beach Retail at last!    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2018 11:33
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Yeah Tony you're right.. It was the PCH not Route 1 sorry, that's my New England state of mind. :)

I can see what you mean about Teslas and most modern luxury or super cars becoming commonplace after awhile. I come from a small mostly middle class city with harsh winters so I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get out here. I also had to parallel park the rental behind a brand new McLaren which upped the ante - thank god I nailed it ( the parking job) first try.

I agree - the humidity and heat combo for the first half our trip was pretty brutal - although still not as bad as a heat wave in NE would be (almost always high humidity accompanies high heat). Thank god it poured the other night in Palm Springs - and yes, AMAZINGY the piss warm pool ended up being refreshing that night and thence were downright chilly after the thundershowers. Back in San Diego it's finally cooled off to 78ish - more typical of San Diego (where we will finish our stay before driving home).

I didn't dabble in much Asian cuisine nor did I make it to In n Out Burger (think you've referenced before) but found great Italian, Mexican, American and something that was "Hawaian". The rooftop restaurant on top of a Lexus dealer in Escondido was a cool set up, with good food.

Flying back tomorrow AM as driving would take too long although a coast to coast road trip is a bucket lister as well as the Tail of Dragon I the S2k.

Anyway, my wife is ready to move here tomorrow while I would like to visit again soon.

Electricity, if you stay within the "conservation" tier is 28 cents per KwH. (I think we crossed this month because of the AC).

San Diego weather, near Pacific Beach, likely best in the country, but their real state is expensive and they are getting flooded with illegals.

Eat burritos at Roberto's.

Landing and taking off at Lindbergh Field... E-ticket ride. Watch the downtown highrises tower above the plane on landing. Take off into a hill.

Torrential monsoon rains... we didn't get them near the Coast, but yes, I saw that weather map, pretty bad inland.

Amazing how stepping out of a piss warm pool into 95F weather makes you cool down. Best if you have a glass of chilled white wine waiting for you.

"Hawai'ian"... L&L? Did you have a loco moco plate? Or just the lunch plate with rice, bbq and macaroni salad? Were you lucky to find some saimin with spam on it? My wife and I love that food, it's her comfort food and I partly grew up with it too. I realize that for you it would be a long flight, but someday try spending some vacation time in the Big Island at Kailua Kona. Rent a condo, stock up on food and drink at Costco. Beaches suck and you got to find them but the place is gorgeous -you can not see the volcanos on the other side of the mountain.

https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/

We have them all over the place in SoCal now.

Anyhow, have a great trip and yeah, driving would be interesting. Farthest East I've driven is Albuquerque (I40) and Denver (I80).

BTW, for Italian food in America, I got to admit that New Jersey has all of us beat hands down.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0