[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
RDX --> Re: RDX anecdote
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> And you thought you were the intended beneficiary of the proposed lower gas mileage rules...
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Aston Martin Valkarie ICE (Cosworth Design)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TheStraightPipes youtube car channel reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Dispenser Issues and Infrared Interface
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC guesses
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
obijuan
Profile for obijuan
Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Picked up a white 2.0 Touring on a lease on Saturday. I had been driving a 2013 Accord EXL for the past 5 1/2 years, which was a great car. I wanted something with a bit more power and a more compliant ride and I found that in the 2.0T.
I did try the 1.5T EXL and I'm not sure what they did to the CVT but personally I didn't find it worked as well as the one in the 2013. Throttle tip in was a lot softer, that isn't to say that the car was slow, it just didn't feel as connected.....no it wasn't in econ.

I'll post a photo or two along with my thoughts on the car as we go along.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 11:01
obijuan wrote:
Picked up a white 2.0 Touring on a lease on Saturday. I had been driving a 2013 Accord EXL for the past 5 1/2 years, which was a great car. I wanted something with a bit more power and a more compliant ride and I found that in the 2.0T.
I did try the 1.5T EXL and I'm not sure what they did to the CVT but personally I didn't find it worked as well as the one in the 2013. Throttle tip in was a lot softer, that isn't to say that the car was slow, it just didn't feel as connected.....no it wasn't in econ.

CONGRATS! The new Accord is a fantastic car.

As a "spirited driver" I too am not a huge fan of the CVT that's installed in the 1.5T models, but I think it's fine for your average driver. The 1.5T with 6MT is very good, IMO, and of course the 2.0T with 10AT is amazing.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 11:08
Congrats!
Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 21:02
JeffX wrote:
obijuan wrote:

CONGRATS! The new Accord is a fantastic car.

As a "spirited driver" I too am not a huge fan of the CVT that's installed in the 1.5T models, but I think it's fine for your average driver. The 1.5T with 6MT is very good, IMO, and of course the 2.0T with 10AT is amazing.

One of the things I didn’t mention in my “epistle” in this forum yesterday in which I brain-dumped my impressions of three days with a Still Night Pearl Sport is the power and responsiveness (though I briefly alluded to a test drive I ended up taking in a 1.5T CR-V, which left a similar impression): the torque available down-low works to deliver a seamless driving experience one might have with a naturally-aspirated 2.6 or larger four-banger. It’s not J35, weapons-grade, push-into-the-seat torque, but the overall response is more than adequate for all driving needs, and as I found at 3/4-throttle, you’d better be watching your speed, as you’re going to be well above normal freeway speeds before you’re aware; the sound produced is still that of a four-banger, perhaps not B16-smooth or F22-smooth, but not like the agricultural R18 in the 8th-Gen Civics, and unlike what I recall with the L15T CR-V, no vibration at idle, in gear or out! I would say that the overall performance is better than the 9th-Gen K24 CVT, and again, if you weren’t aware of the transmission being a CVT, you’d think it’s just a normal automatic transmission. Didn’t even experience the rubber-band rev hang that summed up the entire driving experience of the previous-gen CR-V, where as I’ve said in previous posts, the engine and transmission were at war with each other!

I’ve said that my benchmark Accord has always been the 4th-Gens from 1990-1993. They had the solidity, feel, performance, and overall execution of makes well above their class, and those virtues outlasted the warranty! Everything from the feel of the controls, to the sound of the engine, to the granite-ingot feel of the body, was as close to perfection as you were going to get in the class, and clearly, the Hondas and Toyotas of the world sweated the details, as the Camry from the same time was a Lexus with slightly chintzier appointments—overbuilt! Sadly, because of the rampant cost-cutting through the industry, much less at Honda, that benchmark will never be reached again, for one reason if nothing else: the carpet in the 9th-Gen Accord wasn’t the equivalent of the Wilton wool carpet in a Rolls-Royce, but it was still nice and reasonably thick, and the floormats were of equal quality, with decent wear characteristics; the mats were a “fine, Mr. Sales-Puke, I’ll pay $650 more than I want for this car—but of course, you’ll throw in the floormats!” But the day my Dad leased his second Accord, a 5th-Gen 1994 EX (a two-for-one deal which also included my first new car purchase, a Torino Red 1994 Civic Sedan EX automatic), the very first thing I noticed when sitting in the car the first time was that the carpet was not as thick, not as nice, just a little chintzy! Of course, it’s only gone downhill, with the 7th and 8th-Gens being the last two with decent mats and carpet; the 9th-Gens look good with the common black carpeting inside, but one wonders if Honda simply uses rolls of black felt from Michael’s to construct the carpets and “floormats,” as you now almost NEED to purchase some sort of WeatherTech FloorLiner or equivalent, or some sort of all-weather mats in places without snow and salt for six months of the year (with the same deal-closer I mentioned above), in order to not have holes in the mats after 7,000 miles of use, and worn-to-nothing carpet at warranty’s end. I could go on with things like unfinished edges on moonroof shades which deteriorate in constant sun exposure; one light, not two, in the vanity mirrors in the sunvisors; the loss of glovebox lights and the tinted “brow” along the top of the windshield; the use of rearview mirrors with HomeLink (which will inevitably loosen and constantly go out of adjustment each time the garage opener is used, notwithstanding the shape of which, as I’ve opined, looks like the facial expression of a demented clown, and has not only infected most automakers save for GM, Ford, and HyundKia like a cancer, but has made me regret not going big into the stock of the Gentex corporation) instead of dedicated buttons where a garage remote would go—put the telematics to the left of the steering wheel, next to the driver-assist controls; along with more obvious stuff like the use of harder, more rattle-prone plastics outside of touch points. Obviously, the automakers are trying to make a little on replacement collision parts, as even a simple bump to the front of a new Accord will probably cost $1,000 or more, with the expensive radar unit for the HondaSensing ACC and FCW right out-front, to say nothing of what might happen if an errant stone is thrown up by a preceding truck, and the damage which may be done to both that radar unit and the exposed intercooler for the turbocharger.

Hopefully the various first-year bugs will be resolved, and the car will have some running improvements for 2019, as it’s damn good! Honda whacked another one out of the park despite the questionable move to the turbos, along with the styling choices which were likely the result of regulatory requirements and the limitations of the shared Civic underpinnings; in particular, the hood cut should have been done along the lines of the new Insight.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2018 09:48
Interesting, I have read the same that the 4gen has a special place in many Honda fans. One would think it was the 3gen with its adventurous styling (popup lights, were way cool then) or the contemporary styled, last one world 5gen Accord (my first Honda by the way).
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2018 12:13
longhorn wrote:
Interesting, I have read the same that the 4gen has a special place in many Honda fans. One would think it was the 3gen with its adventurous styling (popup lights, were way cool then) or the contemporary styled, last one world 5gen Accord (my first Honda by the way).

Our 6gen Accord has been outstanding, as well.
The biggest item this year has been recharging the AC, which I did in the garage. On the highway it wants to go 85 mph+ all day long.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2018 12:45
superchg2 wrote:
longhorn wrote:

The biggest item this year has been recharging the AC, which I did in the garage. On the highway it wants to go 85 mph+ all day long.

The 6th-Gen, to me, tried to recapture some of the 4th’s essence, as it went back to more formal styling, albeit without the Hoffmeister kink in the rear. (Of course, that was the first of four generations designed to take a V6..well, even if the transmissions weren’t up to the task! ;-) )

Styling-wise, the best is the pre-MMC 9th-Gen, 2013-2015.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2018 12:55
longhorn wrote:

In my opinion the 4th gen was the most "special" FMC that I've personally observed in the Accord range. The 3rd gens were great, of course, but the 2.0L engine was growing a little long in the tooth at that point. With the 4th gens, they moved to the 2.2L balance-shafted F22s and they had such sweet power and torque curves and felt almost as smooth as an I6. The body structure was one of the best I've felt in a Honda - truly "vault like". Opening and closing the doors had such a satisfying sound and feel. I had a co-worker friend who had 2 of these 4th gen accords (one was his wife's) and ran them both well over 250000 miles with minimal maintenance.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2018 12:59
Gfn8r wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
longhorn wrote:

The 6th-Gen, to me, tried to recapture some of the 4th’s essence, as it went back to more formal styling, albeit without the Hoffmeister kink in the rear. (Of course, that was the first of four generations designed to take a V6..well, even if the transmissions weren’t up to the task! ;-) )

Styling-wise, the best is the pre-MMC 9th-Gen, 2013-2015.

Our I-4 has been doing okay on its second Automatic (courtesy of Honda), and I keep the fluid squeaky clean.

I think the 5th Gen had a V-6 also.

"In 1994, the 1995 Accord debuted a V6 engine, the 2.7L C27 borrowed from the first generation Acura Legend, in the U.S. market. The V6 was offered in both the LX and EX versions of the sedan"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Accord

Price
Profile for Price
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2018 14:52
JeffX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

In my opinion the 4th gen was the most "special" FMC that I've personally observed in the Accord range. The 3rd gens were great, of course, but the 2.0L engine was growing a little long in the tooth at that point. With the 4th gens, they moved to the 2.2L balance-shafted F22s and they had such sweet power and torque curves and felt almost as smooth as an I6. The body structure was one of the best I've felt in a Honda - truly "vault like". Opening and closing the doors had such a satisfying sound and feel. I had a co-worker friend who had 2 of these 4th gen accords (one was his wife's) and ran them both well over 250000 miles with minimal maintenance.

I had both of those and in their best forms (IMHO); 87 LXi and 90 EX. Both manuals and a ton of fun. The 87 LXi was more sporty and nibble though. The 90 EX was first class with black exterior and the black/tan interior. Loved the black dash on that car.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2018 21:08
Congrats!
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? Any deep discounts?

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 09:37
JeffX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

The thing I miss most from our old 4G Accord Coupe, apart from the JDM build quality and old Honda elegantly simple ergonomics, was the IMAX-grade front view. You won't get that in a modern car.

Congrats to the other guy on the new Accord. The new Touring and Sport are pretty nice. I've seen a few around town.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 13:05
Very true that the 5th-Gen had the V6—truly “born of a Legend.”

What I meant to put in there was that the 1998 Accord was designed to take a V6 from the outset. The 1995 V6 was the 2.7L unit out of the Legend, but to make it fit, Honda had to install a longer hood, different front clip, etc., which then carried over for the entire line after the MMC for 1996.

40mpg
Profile for 40mpg
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 13:15
JeffX wrote:
longhorn wrote:

One million miles Joe's car was a 4th gen Accord too. Although IIRC he had swapped or at least rebuilt the engine.

gaginang
Profile for gaginang
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 14:26
superchg2 wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Is yours a v6? Mine has 275,XXX original miles, since new, and the transmission is still holding strong, which is totally counter to what many have experienced.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-26-2018 17:31
gaginang wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Is yours a v6? Mine has 275,XXX original miles, since new, and the transmission is still holding strong, which is totally counter to what many have experienced.

Ours is an I-4, with only 132K. Just barely broken in.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 01:04
longhorn wrote:

The 3rd gen was good, but the 4th gen really was the pinnacle of Honda product in the US.

It was probably THE car that made even the D3 eventually come around to the reality that a 4 banger really COULD be a mainstream engine. The 3rd gen was perhaps more lively, but the 4th gen literally vaulted the nameplate to a whole new level of refinement and execution. Similar handling with much better NVH and ride quality. Also, the intersection of reliable computing power and less complexity seems to have reached a zenith there as systems were greatly simpler than the 3rd gen (with thermowax valves being replaced with solenoids). It was much roomier and much more comfortable and quite a bit more powerful. It also looked good from day 1 with it being the first car to use reflector head lamps and really making "aero" styling look timeless and classic.

I still have my 1990 with ~270,000 miles on it. It is still on the original AC charge in AZ... Doors still shut with a solid thunk, and it still runs like a top. It is starting to have some age related issues due to the heat, but at 28 years old, I just can't complain. Maintenance required outside of routine was a radiator at about 100K (the plastic end tank must have dried out and started to "seep" coolant), and a $30 main relay. Absolutely flawless car. Based on previous owner service records, it did get the new cam seal, which was a TSB on the early build versions of the F22. The one they put in there was in there for another 12-15 years.

WillMax
Profile for WillMax
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 17:38
JeffX wrote:

In my opinion the 4th gen was the most "special" FMC that I've personally observed in the Accord range.

I couldn't agree more.

The 4th generation was the epitome of Accord. No generation since has had quite the same magic. I was fond of the 6th generation as well.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 18:32
WillMax wrote:
JeffX wrote:

In my opinion the 4th gen was the most "special" FMC that I've personally observed in the Accord range.

I couldn't agree more.

The 4th generation was the epitome of Accord. No generation since has had quite the same magic. I was fond of the 6th generation as well.

I’m a 7th gen guy, but yes the 4g did have some magic although I’ve never owned one. I’ve owned 5g-7g and now a 10g. The 7g was the first accord IMO to punch so far above its class. I remember one review where it was compared favorably to an E class coupe. I had the V6-6 coupe which was a rocket and very luxurious especially compared to the 6g.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 19:13
I'd say the 4G Accord EX sedan was as close as Honda ever got to the 5-series. I liked the 5G sedan in it's '94 spec but it was a softer car with a less sporting nature. The styling was a great step forward for Honda in the US and it arrived at just about the time Ford lost the plot with the Taurus.

The V6 version of the 6G sedan felt like a completely different car compared to the 4-cylinder because to a large degree it was a different car. I'd say in terms of driving feel our V6 sedan fell mid-way between the 4-cylinder Accord and the 2G 3.2TL launched for '99. Sort of an Acura Minus. And it was a perfect family sedan for long Interstate drives.

I really wanted to like the 2G 3.2TL and I still notice them in traffic, especially in Fire Pepper Red, but it felt like the luxo-barge factor had been dialed up a bit too much, a bit too close to the RL. Today it seems like a great car from that time.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 19:17
Congrats to the OP on the new car. I'm standing my ground thus far on keeping my current Accord but I do think the new ones look sharp in traffic.

I'm seeing a lot of Tourings, some Sports, and an EX/EX-L now and then.

Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-27-2018 19:27
Always thought my 1994 Civic EX Sedan had a hint of E-Class in the rear-3/4 view!

The 7th-Gen Accord was good, though I wish Honda had sorted the suspension better post-MMC; it was a little rough on the 16” or 17” rims (don’t recall the wheel size on the EX-L-V6s, and I’m too lazy to look it up, but it was increased over the 2003-2005 cars). The NAVI was improved over the pre-MMC iteration. Still had a glovebox light, which carried over to the 8th-Gen until its MMC. (The post-MMC 8th also lost the ambient LED light over the console, and yet had a dimple in the headliner where it would have gone; it came back in the 9th, and was present in the 10th!)

Last edited by JeffX on 06-27-2018 20:48
obijuan
Profile for obijuan
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-28-2018 19:18
Deep discounts?...no not really. I managed 1500 off and that was about it. I've had Accords since '81, the only generation that we missed was the one from 1990-ish as we had bought out the lease on our 89. Followed that we their first V-6 in 97...which was a pretty nice ride.
My favorite after all of generations was the 89 fuel injected sedan (EXI up here), that thing was special.
Just finished the first 1000k on the new one, I do like it. Turned off pretty well all of the safety nannies. Quite a difference between normal mode and sport which they could just rename 'goes like hell'.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-28-2018 19:40
obijuan wrote:
Deep discounts?...no not really. I managed 1500 off and that was about it. I've had Accords since '81, the only generation that we missed was the one from 1990-ish as we had bought out the lease on our 89. Followed that we their first V-6 in 97...which was a pretty nice ride.
My favorite after all of generations was the 89 fuel injected sedan (EXI up here), that thing was special.
Just finished the first 1000k on the new one, I do like it. Turned off pretty well all of the safety nannies. Quite a difference between normal mode and sport which they could just rename 'goes like hell'.

I heard that dealers JUST got some help yesterday for the first time. And it's not even on all trim levels, nor does it even apply for the 4th weekend sales.

vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-28-2018 21:11
JeffX wrote:
obijuan wrote:

I heard that dealers JUST got some help yesterday for the first time. And it's not even on all trim levels, nor does it even apply for the 4th weekend sales.

My dealer just e-mailed me. This weekend, discounts top out at $5,900 off MSRP depending on the trim. All trims are at least $4,000 off.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-28-2018 21:17
About time...
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-28-2018 21:20
vh2k wrote:
JeffX wrote:
obijuan wrote:

My dealer just e-mailed me. This weekend, discounts top out at $5,900 off MSRP depending on the trim. All trims are at least $4,000 off.

I'm not sure where your dealer is located, but I heard about a much smaller factory to dealer amount, so either your region has some extra help coming from the factory or your dealer is eating a lot of their margin.

rico567
Profile for rico567
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 06:47
Just dropped the hammer on a 2018 2.0T Touring. Test drove some very nice cars, but concluded in the end that Honda's combination of features, driving feel, and price were unbeatable.
We're coming off a 2013 VW Passat TDI (our first VW and first diesel), which we've enjoyed very much for 5 years, but are selling back to VW on the emissions buyback program. With the diesels gone, this opened the door to other makes, and the Honda -for us- is the clear winner.
In any case, we take delivery of our first Honda next week, and we shall see.
Our discount on the car is in line with what has been stated; we went from $36,XXX down to $31,XXX.

WillMax
Profile for WillMax
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 15:44
vh2k wrote:My dealer just e-mailed me. This weekend, discounts top out at $5,900 off MSRP depending on the trim. All trims are at least $4,000 off.

+$2,000 in overpriced accessories which they conveniently didn't mention in the email to offset that discount. :)

HondaDad
Profile for HondaDad
Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2018 22:51
WillMax wrote:
vh2k wrote:My dealer just e-mailed me. This weekend, discounts top out at $5,900 off MSRP depending on the trim. All trims are at least $4,000 off.

+$2,000 in overpriced accessories which they conveniently didn't mention in the email to offset that discount. :)

So true on the dealer installed overpriced accessories. Dealers are vermin. I can buy a home directly from its manufacturer/builder, I can buy a smartphone directly from a manufacturer. But a car? NADA has bought off state legislatures around the country to require that automobiles are bought through slimy, dishonest, unpleasant dealers. I hope that Tesla succeeds just so they can screw NADA.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0