[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
More.......................
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
More.......................
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
More.......................
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
More.......................
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
More.......................
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
More.......................
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix - Spoilers

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4
Author
  Post New Thread
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Even Grosjean's Ferrari PU gets sent back to Maranello to be investigated...however he now uses an older PU (Spec1) so he doesn't get a grid penalty!

Looking towards 2019 season, I prefer Toro Rosso-Honda strategy of keep testing the latest spec PU...even if it means grid penalties! ;-)

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Gasly on his first run in Q1 goes almost 0.8s faster than FP2...Hartley is just behind him! Yeah!
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Second run, Hartley goes 1.4s faster than best STR time in FP2...Gasly too... Hartley is 11th and Gasly 13th! Yeah! ;-)
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Gasly, 10th into Q2...Hartley 17th is out however, he is at the back of the grid for new Spec PU anyway!


Both McLaren out in Q1! Would you expect any different...not anymore! Harsh! You bet!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Evidence of drizzle at start of Q2, and it seems rain is coming. Gasly, as well as many others, go out for their first runs.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
BTW, Hartley only missed Q2 by less than eight hundredths of a second!
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
First run in Q2, Gasly is 9th! Yeah!
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
BTW, that first run by Gasly in Q2 is about 2s faster than in FP2! Yeah!
magueto
Profile for magueto
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Vxtec wrote:
BTW, that first run by Gasly in Q2 is about 2s faster than in FP2! Yeah!


He didnt make it. Really bad timing in its final run.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Unfortunately, Gasly does his last run too early and misses out getting into Q3...he is in 14th position!

Come on STR you need to stay sharp and up the game!

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hopefully, Toro Rosso-Honda will have a clean race (without incidents) for both its drivers having selected the right tyre strategy to move up through the field and possibly collect some points! We shall see.


Go Toro Rossso-Honda! Go! Go! Go!

400K
Profile for 400K
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 17:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't like the trend 'test engines'. It seems that latest spec is not ready for racing (reliability). This is bad, they are not ready, even it it seems the power is ok. It reminds me the McLaren era.

They have to find the solution, it's awkward.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 21:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
While I agree reliability remains a serious concern, let's wait to find out what the causes were in this case, before hitting the Panic button? The PU in question was the one that was "Strolled" in Canada, so it might be hidden accident damage. Let's see.....
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 00:55
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
While I agree reliability remains a serious concern, let's wait to find out what the causes were in this case, before hitting the Panic button? The PU in question was the one that was "Strolled" in Canada, so it might be hidden accident damage. Let's see.....


It is the best approach for Toro Rosso-Honda to investigate the cause, whether it is the thump by Stroll and by the wall at the start of the Canadian GP or it is something else for which they will seek to determine the appropriate solution.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 04:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It is a very fine balance between chasing extra performance and it impacting on reliability.
Hopefully the Hartley issue was related to being hit by the billionaire's son.
I am really hoping for a good run for them as it will help Danny Ric feel easier at the thought of staying. If they blow PU then he may indeed look elsewhere, although unlikely to be Mclaren given its current turmoil.
The STR chassis doesn't seem to like the long sweepers so it came as no surprise to see their relative struggles here. Silverstone will be hard too.
The more street type circuits appear to be more friendly to the chassis

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 05:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
While I agree reliability remains a serious concern, let's wait to find out what the causes were in this case, before hitting the Panic button? The PU in question was the one that was "Strolled" in Canada, so it might be hidden accident damage. Let's see.....

I never read the details on the engine regulations, but it seems weird to me that one cannot replace it "for free" after being hit by another car.

I mean, a self-provoqued accident should get no leniency, but when you are involved in an incident without carrying out any responsibility the rules should allow you to get a fresh engine with no penalties.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 06:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
danielgr wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
While I agree reliability remains a serious concern, let's wait to find out what the causes were in this case, before hitting the Panic button? The PU in question was the one that was "Strolled" in Canada, so it might be hidden accident damage. Let's see.....

I never read the details on the engine regulations, but it seems weird to me that one cannot replace it "for free" after being hit by another car.

I mean, a self-provoqued accident should get no leniency, but when you are involved in an incident without carrying out any responsibility the rules should allow you to get a fresh engine with no penalties.


Well, just like the umpire/referee in other sports, in the end, it's their interpretation of the rule book and their flawed human sight judgement that in the end settles the case. However, how certain are we that the crash might have cause the engine failure? It might be, because Gasly is just fine with his car (don't know if that PU going to last the entire race though).

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 09:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Midi_Amp wrote:
danielgr wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
While I agree reliability remains a serious concern, let's wait to find out what the causes were in this case, before hitting the Panic button? The PU in question was the one that was "Strolled" in Canada, so it might be hidden accident damage. Let's see.....

I never read the details on the engine regulations, but it seems weird to me that one cannot replace it "for free" after being hit by another car.

I mean, a self-provoqued accident should get no leniency, but when you are involved in an incident without carrying out any responsibility the rules should allow you to get a fresh engine with no penalties.


Well, just like the umpire/referee in other sports, in the end, it's their interpretation of the rule book and their flawed human sight judgement that in the end settles the case. However, how certain are we that the crash might have cause the engine failure? It might be, because Gasly is just fine with his car (don't know if that PU going to last the entire race though).

Well, I think that if you have the misfortune of having someone taking you out (be it for aggressiveness, a mechanical problem, a puncture, or whatever, that is all irrelevant to the point in question), it'd be nice to be rewarded with a new engine for the next race if you so choose (regardless of it being broken or not).

It is actually a nice way of balancing things, would be good for everyone no matter where they are in the grid. If it's not already like that, I guess nobody thought at it because it has never happened to the VIP folks.

Imagine the situation where two races to the end of the year, Vettel and Hamilton are within reach of being world champion, but then Botas hits Vettel on the penultimate race, and as a result Vettel has an engine mal-function at the last race fp3, forcing him to take a penalty that will hand the title to Hamilton. How would that be for the sport?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 09:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
danielgr wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:
danielgr wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
While I agree reliability remains a serious concern, let's wait to find out what the causes were in this case, before hitting the Panic button? The PU in question was the one that was "Strolled" in Canada, so it might be hidden accident damage. Let's see.....

I never read the details on the engine regulations, but it seems weird to me that one cannot replace it "for free" after being hit by another car.

I mean, a self-provoqued accident should get no leniency, but when you are involved in an incident without carrying out any responsibility the rules should allow you to get a fresh engine with no penalties.


Well, just like the umpire/referee in other sports, in the end, it's their interpretation of the rule book and their flawed human sight judgement that in the end settles the case. However, how certain are we that the crash might have cause the engine failure? It might be, because Gasly is just fine with his car (don't know if that PU going to last the entire race though).

Well, I think that if you have the misfortune of having someone taking you out (be it for aggressiveness, a mechanical problem, a puncture, or whatever, that is all irrelevant to the point in question), it'd be nice to be rewarded with a new engine for the next race if you so choose (regardless of it being broken or not).

It is actually a nice way of balancing things, would be good for everyone no matter where they are in the grid. If it's not already like that, I guess nobody thought at it because it has never happened to the VIP folks.

Imagine the situation where two races to the end of the year, Vettel and Hamilton are within reach of being world champion, but then Botas hits Vettel on the penultimate race, and as a result Vettel has an engine mal-function at the last race fp3, forcing him to take a penalty that will hand the title to Hamilton. How would that be for the sport?



I believe this has been discussed before here, and I agree 100%. In your scenario, however, it would be more likely for Verstappen to cause the crash. Lol

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 09:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
LOL this grid walk is disastrously bad. Uncomfortably funny to watch.

"Oooh, we've just been outbraked by this lady in red"

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix - Pre-Race    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 09:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Is anyone not seeing this as a piece of cake for Hamilton as long as Bottas has a clean race? My guess is the Red Bulls will spend the race battling with Vettel.

Points for Gasly?

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
LOL this grid walk is disastrously bad. Uncomfortably funny to watch.

"Oooh, we've just been outbraked by this lady in red"



Yeah, it is usually a bit odd. WTF jet board boy lol

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It's race day for the return of the French GP, at Paul Ricard, after 10 years.

Great to see Christian Horner, Helmut Marko and Adrian Newey displaying warm friendship towards Toyoharu Tanabe and other Honda personnel in the paddock. Lets hope it blooms to a full loving relationship from the 2019 season! Cheers to that! ;-)

Lets go Toro Rosso-Honda! Go! Go! Go!

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Dren wrote:
JeffX wrote:
LOL this grid walk is disastrously bad. Uncomfortably funny to watch.

"Oooh, we've just been outbraked by this lady in red"



Yeah, it is usually a bit odd. WTF jet board boy lol


You know you're getting older when you see something cool and think, no, I don't really want to try that.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix - Pre-Race    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Grace141 wrote:
Is anyone not seeing this as a piece of cake for Hamilton as long as Bottas has a clean race? My guess is the Red Bulls will spend the race battling with Vettel.

Points for Gasly?



Lets hope so and a clean race (no incidents) for both STR drivers.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well that was a shambles......
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix - Pre-Race    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Vxtec wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
Is anyone not seeing this as a piece of cake for Hamilton as long as Bottas has a clean race? My guess is the Red Bulls will spend the race battling with Vettel.

Points for Gasly?



Lets hope so and a clean race (no incidents) for both STR drivers.


Well fuck. Gasly out. First lap.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix - Pre-Race    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Vxtec wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
Is anyone not seeing this as a piece of cake for Hamilton as long as Bottas has a clean race? My guess is the Red Bulls will spend the race battling with Vettel.

Points for Gasly?





Lets hope so and a clean race (no incidents) for both STR drivers.




JINX!!!

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix - Race Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Vxtec wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
Is anyone not seeing this as a piece of cake for Hamilton as long as Bottas has a clean race? My guess is the Red Bulls will spend the race battling with Vettel.

Points for Gasly?

That was it, game over and waiting for the next race...

Lets hope so and a clean race (no incidents) for both STR drivers.



Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix - Spoilers    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 10:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
JeffX wrote:
Vxtec wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
Is anyone not seeing this as a piece of cake for Hamilton as long as Bottas has a clean race? My guess is the Red Bulls will spend the race battling with Vettel.

Points for Gasly?





Lets hope so and a clean race (no incidents) for both STR drivers.




JINX!!!


The Sky guys are talking about Gasly sliding into Ocon but it looked like Ocon cut across Gasly pretty sharply.

So Hamilton now sees Verstappen in his mirrors. We may have a real race to watch.


 
Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0