[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
More.......................
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Civic --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: 2018 WC

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author
  Post New Thread
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 11:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
He's done it again, Ronaldo opens the scoring inside 5 minutes......

Hmm, thanks for the spoiler.

Anyhow, it was only 1-0.

Both Spain and Portugal need wins AND goals. If they both end up with six points, it'll come down to the goals.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 16:58
TonyEX wrote:
sadlerau wrote:
He's done it again, Ronaldo opens the scoring inside 5 minutes......

Hmm, thanks for the spoiler.

Anyhow, it was only 1-0.

Both Spain and Portugal need wins AND goals. If they both end up with six points, it'll come down to the goals.

Phew... Morocco and Iran are tough cookies.

Spain had to work really hard to work through the Iranian defense and when the game opened up, there were some times when Spain looked disorganized and surprised.

The last part of the game, after the Spanish goal, was entertaining. And yes, it was an offside. The line judge had his flag raised before the video review. I guess the ref wanted the video review to make sure the referee team could make it out of the Stadium alive.

Spain's weakness is a too open defense. They are excellent on the offense, but tiki taka doesn't work on defense.

Oh well, at least Spain stuck to tiki taka today, not hara kiri.

Portugal was soporific. I think Iran has the opportunity to beat them.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 22:33
Sorry about the spoiler.

I think it is becoming obvious that it's going to be an open World Cup, with lots of teams in with a chance of winning. It may even come down to who plays better on the day - probably a result of so much interchange of good players world wide, and modern coaches with modern training techniques?

Just hope the Aussies can kick a couple of goals tonight and make it into the next round.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 22:37
sadlerau wrote:
Sorry about the spoiler.

I think it is becoming obvious that it's going to be an open World Cup, with lots of teams in with a chance of winning. It may even come down to who plays better on the day - probably a result of so much interchange of good players world wide, and modern coaches with modern training techniques?

Just hope the Aussies can kick a couple of goals tonight and make it into the next round.

What times are the games in Oz? In the West Coast the games start at 4:00AM.... Spain played at 11:00AM.

I'm recording them in the PVR. Both in American English (BOOORING Fox) and Latin American Spanish ( GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!).

You can not believe how bad and how boring the American announcers are.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 23:03
I'm exactly 12 hours in front of your east coast time line, so 15 hours ahead of you? Our matches start in the early evening and go to early morning, I admit I fell asleep during the Spain match this morning. :(

We have the excellent British broadcasters, so no complaints from me, even with their obvious bias. :)

An interesting aside is that the original TV rights were heavily curtailed down under, as a local Telco, Optus, has snared the TV rights keeping the vast majority of matches for their own pay per view platform, leaving just the most important "Match of the Day" to be screened by a "normal" TV station. That failed miserably from the first match, when customers experienced intermittent "glitches" to no download data at all. Sunday the proverbial hit the fan from disgruntled customers, and Optus very quickly agreed to allow the TV station to broadcast all matches until the issue is resolved. Things should return to normal tonight, but we shall see.

If it does, then I'll be getting a lot more, much needed, sleep. :)

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 08:16
That didn't start well for AUS. Hope they can claw back, they have plenty of time.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 08:20
I was impressed with how Iran played, even if it was a bit boring until the goal. Once Iran opened up, the game got exciting. They had Spain looking out of sorts on defense several times. I was getting a bit annoyed at the over acting by the Iranians when they were fouled, though. I've been DVR'ing the late game each day and watching it when I get home in the evening. I get treated with Argentina and Croatia today! That should be a good one.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 10:36
A draw in the end, Denmark's goal was a beauty, the penalty was harsh, but there, though I thought the yellow card was unnecessary, it was hardly deliberate. In the end I think we out played them, and with a bit of luck we could have won!

I just wish all matches were played in such good spirit, with no exaggerated diving and players showing due respect for each other. Ended up being highly entertaining if not reaching the heights of the very top teams.

Will be interesting to see who goes through from this group.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 10:59
sadlerau wrote:
A draw in the end, Denmark's goal was a beauty, the penalty was harsh, but there, though I thought the yellow card was unnecessary, it was hardly deliberate. In the end I think we out played them, and with a bit of luck we could have won!

I just wish all matches were played in such good spirit, with no exaggerated diving and players showing due respect for each other. Ended up being highly entertaining if not reaching the heights of the very top teams.

Will be interesting to see who goes through from this group.

I agree. I wish more players would respect the game and give up the bullshit drama dives and being general pricks. I'm a huge supporter of our local MLS side, Atlanta United but it drives me crazy seeing some of our star players behaving like babies on the pitch. Especially when they act like huge divas, as if they've somehow forgotten that they're MLS players. MLS matches are fun in a way that high school football can be fun to watch. Generally clunky but there are precious moments of brilliance and excitement. It's nowhere near the quality of the best European leagues, but it's all we have here.

It's hard to go back to watching the MLS after watching the World Cup for 3 weeks.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 11:28
Good game earlier, the Danish goal was class. A typically gritty Aussie fight back and a well deserved draw. The honesty came as a blessed relief from all the theatrical efforts from certain teams and players.
My favorite so far is the serial offender Pepe for Portugal. A player tapped him on his shoulder to get his attention which Pepe used as a signal to throw himself twisting to the ground as if he had been shot numerous times. I think VAR should be used for these cheats and anyone found doing it has to play a Rugby Union or Aussie rules game as punishment ....

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 11:35
JeffX wrote:
It's hard to go back to watching the MLS after watching the World Cup for 3 weeks.

Keep watching Panama while they're still in it...they're basically all MLS players.

Atlanta is a good team! I like watching them play when they are at home.

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: I HATE Cristiano Ronaldo    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 16:05
Lordy...Poor Agentina. They are in serious jeopardy.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 17:05
sadlerau wrote:
I'm exactly 12 hours in front of your east coast time line, so 15 hours ahead of you? Our matches start in the early evening and go to early morning, I admit I fell asleep during the Spain match this morning. :(

We have the excellent British broadcasters, so no complaints from me, even with their obvious bias. :)

An interesting aside is that the original TV rights were heavily curtailed down under, as a local Telco, Optus, has snared the TV rights keeping the vast majority of matches for their own pay per view platform, leaving just the most important "Match of the Day" to be screened by a "normal" TV station. That failed miserably from the first match, when customers experienced intermittent "glitches" to no download data at all. Sunday the proverbial hit the fan from disgruntled customers, and Optus very quickly agreed to allow the TV station to broadcast all matches until the issue is resolved. Things should return to normal tonight, but we shall see.

Oh, that's right. I always calculate Oz and Singapore by thinking you are 9 hours behind Plus one day from me.

I just realized that Direct TV is recording the Fox Sports games in 4K, which I DON'T WANT, because I don't have that service, nor a TV for it.

Fortunately Television is doing it in 1080i so I'm OK.

Poor Messi. He is not a great penalty taker, that's his one flaw. And the rest of Argentina does not support him. Given that he has lived in Spain for most of his life and that he is a Spanish Citizen, he should be playing for La Roja.

Can you imagine Spain with Leo?

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 17:16
TonyEX wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

Oh, that's right. I always calculate Oz and Singapore by thinking you are 9 hours behind Plus one day from me.

I just realized that Direct TV is recording the Fox Sports games in 4K, which I DON'T WANT, because I don't have that service, nor a TV for it.

Poor Messi. He is not a great penalty taker, that's his one flaw. And the rest of Argentina does not support him. Given that he has lived in Spain for most of his life and that he is a Spanish Citizen, he should be playing for La Roja.

Tony, I'm watching it in 4k on DirecTV (65-inch display). NO COMPLAINTS HERE! Looks amazing.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 17:49
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

Tony, I'm watching it in 4k on DirecTV (65-inch display). NO COMPLAINTS HERE! Looks amazing.

(1) My display doesn't do 4K.
(2) Direct TV wants me to pay more to get 4K service, otherwise I can't play the recording.
(3) Do you know how I can disable 4K recording and just do it in HD?

In the meantime... Telemundo....

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 18:03
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

(2) Direct TV wants me to pay more to get 4K service, otherwise I can't play the recording.

1. Ok
2. As far as I know, I'm not paying any premium for 4k
3. The only 4K feed of the world cup is on channel 106. I don't know how you're able to record that channel if you don't have the 4k receiver. Record from Fox Sports 1 on 219 or your local Fox affiliate (I don't know the channel number for that in LA)

I can definitely watch and record either feed

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 18:31
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

1. Ok
2. As far as I know, I'm not paying any premium for 4k
3. The only 4K feed of the world cup is on channel 106. I don't know how you're able to record that channel if you don't have the 4k receiver. Record from Fox Sports 1 on 219 or your local Fox affiliate (I don't know the channel number for that in LA)

I can definitely watch and record either feed

I'll check when I get home.

I had the PVR record Telemundo and the local Fox channel. It turns out that the local Fox channel sent the recording to FS1 for the games they don't broadcast.

FS1 is coming down as 4K.

When I click on the recordings to play them, it shows 4K format and I got to call to enable 4K service. There is no way around it.

I don't need no stinkin' 4K... I'm watching football and at that point I'm not watching for niceties.

Heck, I don't believe I sit for more than five minutes when Spain plays.

Oh, my PVR is less than a year old. They replaced the previous one because it was running extremely hot and was having some connection issues.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 22:14
I got home a little while ago.

The FS1 channel is on HD, not 4K.

So, I killed the previous Futbol en Ingles series and chose the FS1 rerun.

We'll see.

Meanwhile, of course, Telemundo with El Seņor Andres Goooool and las mamacitas con senos enormes is going on nicely on HD.

Ole... (and something I only say for one month every four years...) Que Viva Espaņa!

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 06:44
I'm watching it on Hulu live streaming, sadly Fox doesn't have 4k streaming on Hulu.

That was a sad display Argentina put out. It looked like they had no midfield at all. I think they'd be better off starting Dybala, putting in some semblance of a midfield, and putting Messi on the wing or using him as a super sub.

Their keeper should be playing for England, eh Tony?

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 13:05
Headline suggestion for the New York Post:

Shit hole Country beats Ice cold Country:
Nigeria 2 Iceland 0

Lol

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 World Cup    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 15:56
Dren wrote:
I'm watching it on Hulu live streaming, sadly Fox doesn't have 4k streaming on Hulu.

That was a sad display Argentina put out. It looked like they had no midfield at all. I think they'd be better off starting Dybala, putting in some semblance of a midfield, and putting Messi on the wing or using him as a super sub.

Their keeper should be playing for England, eh Tony?

English goalkeepers have a history of butter fingers... but this was on a different scale.

This was Banana Republic Goaltending.

Didn't Argentina used to have a goalie that played very advanced? And he got goals scored over his head?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 12:52
Dren wrote:
T-minus 45 minutes until two of the worst teams in the tournament face each other, Russia and Saudi Arabia. Even though the US didn't qualify, I'm still going to watch. Pulling for Mexico to represent CONCACAF well, but I don't think they have the team.

Spain looks reasonable though they just fired their coach. The usual suspects, Argentina, Germany and Brazil should show well. I'd like to see Uruguay win it with McBitey getting the golden boot.

Spain and Portugal play tomorrow. I have that one DVR'd. Any thoughts Tony?

Well, Russia is doing quite well, in a weak group.

Speaking of the local team doing "too well"... this still hurts, Italy too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/3029872/Korean-miracle-spoilt-by-refereeing-farce.html

By 2002 I had a PVR in my computer so I taped all those games. For a while I had a time lapse set of pictures in my web page (home page) that showed that the ball that was ruled out of bound was clearly in bounds and the goal should have not been anulled.

I guess FIFA learned from the Politically Correct fiasco of the referees calling the games in South Korea (the games in Japan were well refereed) and since has ensured that only the best 'professional' referees and line judges call the games, even if this means that they are mostly Euros with a few Latin Americans.

TODAY... oh well Mexico just beat Korea.... Chicharito's goal was really a nice open field play. Loved the way he feinted left, swing right, lost his defender and then slotted the ball between the goal keeper and the left post. A classic play!

HOWEVER, being in SoCal, now we'll have to suffer Mexico and Mexicans until they get defeated at the next level.

Where is Chile when you really need them? Remember this game? I was watching it on TV and doing the cha cha cha in celebration.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/19/chile-humiliate-mexico-7-0-quarter-final

Wonder what will Germany do? They are pros, so they should come out and win... but you never know.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 13:05
Having lived in both Japan and Korea, the Koreans being gifted results doesn't surprise me. Russia did get gifted an easy group and they are making the best of it.

Oh yes, that thrashing Chile put on Mexico was great! Then they went on and put down Argentina.

Mexico could very well end up playing Brazil next round.

I wonder if Germany will flounder against the Swedes...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 16:38
Dren wrote:
Having lived in both Japan and Korea, the Koreans being gifted results doesn't surprise me. Russia did get gifted an easy group and they are making the best of it.

Oh yes, that thrashing Chile put on Mexico was great! Then they went on and put down Argentina.

WHAT A GAME!

First off, the refereeing crew, supposedly Polish? Maybe from Danzig. huh?

Missed a clear penalty, missed some offsides, etc...

Germany played much better in the 2nd half, and that last goal, a set piece, was mastery being played by a single player (who plays at Real Madrid).

Overall, honestly, I think Sweden got robbed. Germany did not deserve the win and only got it because of a huge mistake by the refereeing crew.

But the game was entertaining even if, technically, neither side played very well as an organized team.

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 17:04
TonyEX wrote:
Dren wrote:

WHAT A GAME!

Germany played much better in the 2nd half, and that last goal, a set piece, was mastery being played by a single player (who plays at Real Madrid).

Overall, honestly, I think Sweden got robbed. Germany did not deserve the win and only got it because of a huge mistake by the refereeing crew.

But the game was entertaining even if, technically, neither side played very well as an organized team.

Tony, I am quite disappointed. What I expected from you was:

Germany Triumphs in Russia - 70 years too late!
Lol..

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 17:18
HondaForever wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
Dren wrote:

WHAT A GAME!

Tony, I am quite disappointed. What I expected from you was:

Germany Triumphs in Russia - 70 years too late!
Lol..

Hey, it's summer. Napoleon was doing quite well in the Summer too.

It's the winter... that's why the Russkies are so good at hockey.

sennaFAN
Profile for sennaFAN
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 08:51
C'mon England !!

I love the underdogs usually but Panama are letting themselves down. Gamesmanship and dirty tactics throughout.
I doubt they will end with 11 on the pitch

If this is a sign of things to come today then Gasley is going to win the French GP and he will lap Alonso twice !!

Happy days, bring on the cider

Vtec_rally
Profile for Vtec_rally
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 12:18
Nigeria is hardly a 'shithole' country. It definately has its flaws but it also has some positive elements as well as a developing country.

Back to the subject of soccer/football and the World Cup, what a great 2nd goal by Germany in the closing minutes of their game yesterday. Maybe this win will get them going. I'm not the biggest Germany fan but the World Cup just wouldn't be the same without them at least making it into the round of 16. Also, Argentina looks like a mess, their defence has been really weak.

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 16:11
Vtec_rally wrote:
Nigeria is hardly a 'shithole' country. It definately has its flaws but it also has some positive elements as well as a developing country.

Back to the subject of soccer/football and the World Cup, what a great 2nd goal by Germany in the closing minutes of their game yesterday. Maybe this win will get them going. I'm not the biggest Germany fan but the World Cup just wouldn't be the same without them at least making it into the round of 16. Also, Argentina looks like a mess, their defence has been really weak.

Believe me. I am very well aware of that. The post was a joke meant to reflect the type of sensational headlines that the New York Post is famous for and a takeoff on what our President is supposed to have called all the African countries.

Along the same humorous line, I think you had a typo in your post. I think you meant to say:Also, "Argentina looks like a Messi" Lol

Come on guys, let's take some time off for some fun. That's what the World Cup is all about.

Vtec_rally
Profile for Vtec_rally
Re: 2018 WC    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2018 16:57
HondaForever wrote:
Vtec_rally wrote:

Believe me. I am very well aware of that. The post was a joke meant to reflect the type of sensational headlines that the New York Post is famous for and a takeoff on what our President is supposed to have called all the African countries.

Along the same humorous line, I think you had a typo in your post. I think you meant to say:Also, "Argentina looks like a Messi" Lol

Come on guys, let's take some time off for some fun. That's what the World Cup is all about.

My bad in that case, and good one.

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0