[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I'm in a 2019 RDX Advance this week. Any specific questions while I have it?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > MDX > > Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/camera-directed-car-toward-oncoming-traffic-after-windshield-replacement-man-says-1.4715817?cmp=FB_Post_News
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 16:23
I wasn't aware the MDX could steer itself. Must be on the Advance?

My 14 Tech just sounds off the warning bells.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 17:14
NSXman wrote:
I wasn't aware the MDX could steer itself. Must be on the Advance?

My 14 Tech just sounds off the warning bells.

Yes, I can't remember when they added LKAS but it's been on the MDX for awhile. At first it was just the Advance but it's standard on all of the trims now. I think it's standard on every Acura model except the ILX (optional) and NSX (not available at all). I'm guessing it will be on 100% of Acuras before long.

Also, I thought it was well known that any time you replace the windshield on one of these cars, you HAVE to have the camera system calibrated by the dealer. AFAIK, this is true of all of these type of systems, not just Acura.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 18:34
Our '16 Tech includes LKAS. It works well for what it is but I've been curious about snow and ice or even dirt on the windshield blocking the camera.

In defense of the MDX owner in the article, it's not easy finding information in the full owner's manual. The printed guide supplied with the car is little more than a quick-start pamphlet. The actual owner's manual is best found on a variety of sites online - it is available through the Owners section of the Honda/Acura site. It's a page turner though.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 19:00
Grace141 wrote:
Our '16 Tech includes LKAS. It works well for what it is but I've been curious about snow and ice or even dirt on the windshield blocking the camera.

In defense of the MDX owner in the article, it's not easy finding information in the full owner's manual. The printed guide supplied with the car is little more than a quick-start pamphlet. The actual owner's manual is best found on a variety of sites online - it is available through the Owners section of the Honda/Acura site. It's a page turner though.

A lot of people don't know this, but you can request a free printed copy of the FULL owner's manual within the first 6 months of purchase. You just have to register on the owner-oriented website for Honda or Acura, and then from there, there's a link where you can request the physical copy.

Last edited by JeffX on 06-22-2018 19:02
HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 21:09
Grace141 wrote:

What I found amazing is that the company that replaced the windshield did not have the equipment nor the expertise to calibrate the camera. That's like Walmart installing new tires on your car then you having to take it to the Honda dealership for balancing. It makes no sense whatsoever and I am surprised they can get away with this.

If you touch my car as a repairer, I expect you to bring it back to its full function, not half way back and vaguely expect me to take it somewhere else for the work to be finished. Ridiculous!

tsxfan19
Profile for tsxfan19
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 22:16
Interesting.

I had the windshield replaced in my 16 Accord w/ Honda Sensing. I originally had an appointment scheduled with Honda to have the camera recalibrated, as my insurance company was going to reimburse me. The guys at SafeLite (sp) told me that they didn’t unplug the camera, and that it probably wouldn’t need to be recalibrated. I tested it immediately, and it seemed to work fine. I had the car for almost a year after that windshield was replaced, and LKAS worked fine.

Also, I requested a physical copy of the manual to my current car. Acura sent it at no cost. Now there’s no room for any of my sunglasses in the glove compartment. Not even one pair.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 22:29
tsxfan19 wrote:
Interesting.

I had the windshield replaced in my 16 Accord w/ Honda Sensing. I originally had an appointment scheduled with Honda to have the camera recalibrated, as my insurance company was going to reimburse me. The guys at SafeLite (sp) told me that they didn’t unplug the camera, and that it probably wouldn’t need to be recalibrated. I tested it immediately, and it seemed to work fine. I had the car for almost a year after that windshield was replaced, and LKAS worked fine.

Also, I requested a physical copy of the manual to my current car. Acura sent it at no cost. Now there’s no room for any of my sunglasses in the glove compartment. Not even one pair.

yeah, LOL the current owners manuals are HUGE.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 08:20
JeffX wrote:
tsxfan19 wrote:
Interesting.

yeah, LOL the current owners manuals are HUGE.

I decided against ordering the printed manual because it's 500-some pages. The glove box is small enough as it is without a copy of "War and Peace" stashed away in it. It's easier to bookmark it on a tablet.

The funny part for me was after reading through the MDX manual I was even more convinced I like my simple Accord and the Fit much better.

Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 10:18
Grace141 wrote:

In my experience the LKAS shuts itself off pretty quick in any adverse weather. Mine won’t even work in direct sunlight when the road marking are difficult to see.

Also, I fail to understand how a misaligned camera could cause a car to steer into oncoming traffic. The camera is detecting the road lines. What am I missing?

HondaForever
Profile for HondaForever
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 11:29
Chris_6MT wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

In my experience the LKAS shuts itself off pretty quick in any adverse weather. Mine won’t even work in direct sunlight when the road marking are difficult to see.

Also, I fail to understand how a misaligned camera could cause a car to steer into oncoming traffic. The camera is detecting the road lines. What am I missing?

Which brings up the issue the advocates of automated vehicles never seem to bother to address. What happens when your fully automated car's systems shut down? I am talking fully automated perhaps even with no steering wheel or manually operated brakes? The automated cruise control in my Pilot shuts down as soon as snowy mush covers it.

And then there is the long term issue of maintenance. After these vehicles go into the used car market and are owned by people who can barely afford the gas to get where they are going, anybody thinks they are going to spend money on calibrating these items?

Engineers and their managers need to understand that it's one thing to put something out on the market. They need to also ask how they will perform in the long term under the realistic situation of owners who are unlikely to maintain them to factory specifications.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 11:50
Chris_6MT wrote:
Grace141 wrote:

Could have something to do with how the LKAS system relates the orientation of the lines to the direction of travel. If the camera is moved a few degrees off center from its original position then the vehicle may perceive that it needs to make that slight correction in steering. At which point you'd start drifting out of the lane. You'd think it would pick that up and then correct the other way and maybe go into a slow oscillation.

In an ideal world it would learn pretty quickly that the camera angle was off. But we are not nearly at that level of machine learning in vehicles yet.

SC

Fishbulb
Profile for Fishbulb
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 12:50
JeffX wrote:
Also, I thought it was well known that any time you replace the windshield on one of these cars, you HAVE to have the camera system calibrated by the dealer. AFAIK, this is true of all of these type of systems, not just Acura.

Interesting. Well, I didn't know, and I've replaced the windshield on my CR-V that has the system, and I haven't been to the dealer to recalibrate it. That said, the system was a gimmick and never worked very well when the car was brand new, so I haven't used it in years.

tsxfan19
Profile for tsxfan19
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 14:05
Fishbulb wrote:
JeffX wrote:

Interesting. Well, I didn't know, and I've replaced the windshield on my CR-V that has the system, and I haven't been to the dealer to recalibrate it. That said, the system was a gimmick and never worked very well when the car was brand new, so I haven't used it in years.

That’s interesting. I wonder if it’s anything like the systems in my last Accord and current car. I love them. I might look like a pilot doing his pre-flight control checks, but LKAS is part of my startup routine before I take off. I wonder if folks actually turn this on, or expect the car to center itself in the lane without activating it (required each time the car is started).

My pre-drive system is kinda cool tho:

1. Apply brake
2. Press engine start button
3. Release electronic parking brake switch
4. Pull reverse switch/push drive button
5. Engage brake hold
6. Activate LKAS

I only realized how much crap it takes for me to get going after a friend with a new Camry asked if his car was supposed to center itself within a land, and if so, how to make it do it

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 14:49
The only time I use LKAS now is when driving on Interstate highways in cross winds and it's actually pretty good in that scenario. The system works in probably 95% of conditions but it's those where it fails you really must be alert and ready to correct it. Not that it's a big problem for drivers actually driving their cars.

The lane departure system (LDW?) on the other hand is just awkward with the Honda/Acura system shaking the steering wheel. Better than the system I think was in an Impala I rented which vibrated the driver's seat but still odd. I now use my turn signals when changing lanes all the time even when I'm alone on a deserted highway just to avoid the feeling a tire is falling off the car.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0