[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: 2019 Volvo S60

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
NealX
Profile for NealX
2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 13:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Would make a nice Acura:

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 13:54
NealX wrote:
Would make a nice Acura:

It's just like the s90. Everything up to the rear axle looks great. That arse end is hideous though. We drove alongside a new s90 for awhile on a road trip last weekend and my wife kept commenting on how ugly it was. I tried to point out how good the rest of it looked.

THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 14:16
NealX wrote:
Would make a nice Acura:

Exterior: Nice!
Interior: Too truck like...

Jld94
Profile for Jld94
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 14:32
I like their new designs, and I actually like the rear....
MSZ
Profile for MSZ
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 14:43
Perfect dash to axle ratio.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 14:44
Not a fan of the S90 thought to does look very well built - if a bit... grandiose.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 14:47
THX17201 wrote:
NealX wrote:
Would make a nice Acura:

Exterior: Nice!
Interior: Too truck like...

Are you sure?

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 18:08
Yeah S90 is a sexy design let down by an uninspiring rear end, profile is on point though especially for a transverse layout. Enter ACA
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2018 18:26
Overall it looks pretty good. Moving the plates to the trunk lid really helps the rear look less plain and awkward when compared to its big brother. Interior is a total deal breaker though. As someone else mentioned, it looks too truck/suv like.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 01:22
I saw this earlier today and spent a fair bit of time looking at it.

Stunning design.

I am not as turned off by the rear as Jeff, but I do agree that it is the cars weakest feature. I think it looks better resolved than the S90 though.

That said, Volvo currently has one of my favorite design languages. Very Swedish in execution, but it is still very attractive and well proportioned. It was previously Audi, but IMO this looks better than the new Audis.

My biggest concern is that a lot of Volvo's seem to have electrical issues lately, and apparently they use soy based wire insulation, which is a favorite feast for all sorts of critters that eat the looms.

I am also on the fence about the reliability of the twin-charged engine, as it seems relatively complex.

I spec'd out a T6 R-Design with all the options and it was $56K. Badass car though, and I have always had a little bit of a soft spot for Volvo (though I acknowledge their bad period).

IMO, they pulled of the FWD look by matching the dash to axle ratio on both sides, which would probably be harder to do with a big, wide V6 tucked in there.

Civicb18
Profile for Civicb18
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 05:36
I like the taillights on the S60 but not on the S90. I wish Acura could somehow combine their Precision Crafted design language with the understated design execution of the Europeans.
Phil17
Profile for Phil17
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 08:47
I'll let you guys know about reliability in a couple years as I just picked up a XC60R to replace the GLK for the wife. The sensus system's a mess though compared to how easy it was on the MB. It has tons of features but it's has super slow boot up time. Hopefully they'll improve it on the newer models. Car drives brilliantly though and is a perfect size. Our other car is a C43 so I'm really enjoying the current household lineup.

I do have to say the GLK was the best car all around we've ever owned. Simple V6, feels ridiculously solid and trouble free. Volvo still has to up their entire dealer network/service if they want to compete @ MB's level but that'll take time. Cheers

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 21:06
owequitit wrote:

Stunning design.

I am not as turned off by the rear as Jeff, but I do agree that it is the cars weakest feature. I think it looks better resolved than the S90 though.

That said, Volvo currently has one of my favorite design languages. Very Swedish in execution, but it is still very attractive and well proportioned. It was previously Audi, but IMO this looks better than the new Audis.

My biggest concern is that a lot of Volvo's seem to have electrical issues lately, and apparently they use soy based wire insulation, which is a favorite feast for all sorts of critters that eat the looms.

I am also on the fence about the reliability of the twin-charged engine, as it seems relatively complex.

I spec'd out a T6 R-Design with all the options and it was $56K. Badass car though, and I have always had a little bit of a soft spot for Volvo (though I acknowledge their bad period).

IMO, they pulled of the FWD look by matching the dash to axle ratio on both sides, which would probably be harder to do with a big, wide V6 tucked in there.

It's like an old prelude up front in terms of proportions. The interesting version is the T8 and Polestar one. It's sort of towards what some seek with an eSH AWD drivetrain though I don't believe Volvo has torque vectoring. I do think Volvo's battery placement is more ideal though. And it'll probably be more balanced with a lighter front end and also not overloading the front with a powerful v6.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 01:05
honduh wrote:
owequitit wrote:

Stunning design.

It's like an old prelude up front in terms of proportions. The interesting version is the T8 and Polestar one. It's sort of towards what some seek with an eSH AWD drivetrain though I don't believe Volvo has torque vectoring. I do think Volvo's battery placement is more ideal though. And it'll probably be more balanced with a lighter front end and also not overloading the front with a powerful v6.

It is similar, yes. It also appears that they have tucked a pretty fair bit of the FI hardware on the back side between the wheel and firewall to make use of that space. It probably buys them a slightly shorter overhang as well.

I looked at the Polestar and the 400HP seems nice, but I have about zero desire to own a hybrid, and it probably adds a few hundred pounds onto what is already a ~4000lb car.

That is really my biggest issue with Volvo right now. They have 1 high strung 4 banger in their top models, and it doesn't punch quite on par with the bigger sixes in the segment. For $53K (I misremembered the one I spec'd) it is dealing with cars like the 340i, but will have acceleration on par or slightly behind an Accord 2.0T. I don't know how much you could wring out of that thing, but the last S60 Polestar had a 362HP version of the same engine, so if you wanted to mess with it, it can probably be done and it is probably adequate for most DD situations. Hell, I can't even really get on my Accord because I will get into too much trouble!

I think it's the best looking car in segment currently though. Simple a great job by Volvo in that regard.

honduh
Profile for honduh
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 16:46
owequitit wrote:
honduh wrote:
owequitit wrote:

Stunning design.

It is similar, yes. It also appears that they have tucked a pretty fair bit of the FI hardware on the back side between the wheel and firewall to make use of that space. It probably buys them a slightly shorter overhang as well.

I looked at the Polestar and the 400HP seems nice, but I have about zero desire to own a hybrid, and it probably adds a few hundred pounds onto what is already a ~4000lb car.

That is really my biggest issue with Volvo right now. They have 1 high strung 4 banger in their top models, and it doesn't punch quite on par with the bigger sixes in the segment. For $53K (I misremembered the one I spec'd) it is dealing with cars like the 340i, but will have acceleration on par or slightly behind an Accord 2.0T. I don't know how much you could wring out of that thing, but the last S60 Polestar had a 362HP version of the same engine, so if you wanted to mess with it, it can probably be done and it is probably adequate for most DD situations. Hell, I can't even really get on my Accord because I will get into too much trouble!

I think it's the best looking car in segment currently though. Simple a great job by Volvo in that regard.

When you start reaching 340i level of power (i.e., 300+ HP) for a mid-size sedan it really starts getting into too much power for normal driving situations. IMO, at that point I think it's the other visceral parts of driving the car that speaks to one over the other. I have heard the NVH of the new Volvo 4cyl's isn't so great, but I admit I am biased and it will take a lot for me to forget the sound and smoothness of a nice 6cyl like the B58 in the 3. However, stick that engine in a front heavy car that handles like a dog then all bets are off.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2019 Volvo S60    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 05:24
Actually, it is said the NVH of Jaguar's four-pot Ingenium isn't all that either, despite the twin balancer shafts. Maybe they build them too light, these days.

But yes, there's no replacement for a multi-pot displacement job!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0