[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Author
  Post New Thread
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 12:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

This weekend F1 will hold the first French Grand Prix since 2008 and the venue is even more of a blast from the past: Circuit Paul Ricard. Located in the South of France, not that far from Monaco, and built on a plateau the circuit is known for its fair weather. Notable features include the Mistral Straight & Chicane leading into high-speed right-hander Signes. The circuit has played host to 14 Grands Prix from 1971 to 1990; of the race winners, 6 have gone on to win the Driver’s Championship that year.

Toro Rosso Honda enters the weekend buoyed by the progress its long-anticipated engine upgrade showed in Canada. So good was this engine upgrade that it caused sister team, Red Bull Racing, to formally announce its switch to Honda power beginning in 2019. Without knowing how the cars behave on this circuit, we can assume that with the new Honda Power Unit points are possible for both cars as Honda continues to optimize the software mapping (it has been rumored that the new Power Unit was even run de-tuned in Canada). With that said, unless he has a stellar result in France, it appears more likely that Brendon Hartley will be replaced before the end of the season.

Elsewhere on the grid, based on recent form one has to assume Ferrari holds a slight advantage; however there is not much daylight between them, Mercedes, and Red Bull. We should not be surprised if we see another podium with all three of these teams represented. We can expect Renault to slot in as the best of the rest. From there, we are more likely to see team cars split up from each other. Haas will look to return to the promising form it showed earlier in the season. Fighting with Haas will be McLaren but they are unlikely to put both cars in the points. Force India will also be a factor when it comes to deciding the lower points-paying positions. Expect one of the Saubers to be in contention for points. Williams will be bringing up the rear along with any drivers from further up the grid who may fall on bad luck.

For more, including TV times, track info., and video, click over to TOV-M!
https://motorsports.vtec.net/blog/205/f1-2018-french-grand-prix/

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 12:54
I'm excited to see how the new power unit performs. Albert Fabrega is reporting it was worth 3 tenths in qualification and 4-5 tenths in the race. That's a pretty big improvement. I'd like to see Hartley have a good weekend for once.
zekohonda
Profile for zekohonda
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 13:01
i hope to see at least one car in q3, and to get few points.
hoping to see more interesting races than last few.
i saw they put some yellow 'kerbs' to respect the track limits.
flying tomorrow to marseille, on saturday i am on track. :D
beer is 6 euros.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 13:37
I think we were paying $8 for pints at Austin a few years ago. 6 euros doesn't sound too bad.
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 14:00
zekohonda wrote:

I'm still waiting to see the first good team result - simultaneous good race for Hartley and Gasly at once. That will be a good sign.

Of the midfield, Renault has managed 4 double-points finishes and McLaren has done 3. No other midfield has achieved it - not Haas or Force India, even.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2018 14:15
Potenza wrote:
zekohonda wrote:

I'm still waiting to see the first good team result - simultaneous good race for Hartley and Gasly at once. That will be a good sign.

Of the midfield, Renault has managed 4 double-points finishes and McLaren has done 3. No other midfield has achieved it - not Haas or Force India, even.

That McLaren stat. is something I would not have guessed would happen after the first few races. Force India seems to be moving more as a team but IMO the one thing that really made double-points finishes possible for McLaren is Grosjean's luck/skill at several of the races this year.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 06:13
Hartley is out and already spun, FP1.
bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 06:17
"I feel very low deployment," says Hartley. "We have some issues," Toro Rosso admits.
Nooooo!

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 06:28
Dren wrote:

I'm that guy who quotes himself...

Sounds like energy deployment issues, so the K might have kicked in late and spun him.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 07:38
Gasly in p8 just behind Verstappen after P1.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 08:45
Dren wrote:
Dren wrote:

I'm that guy who quotes himself...

Sounds like energy deployment issues, so the K might have kicked in late and spun him.

Not really, replays and other stuff showed he spun because he got the front into the kerbs ... (and so pointed it out the live comentary on F1.com).

Personally, he just blowed it up first corner and then either messed up something on the spin or was just finding excuses ... Either way, his laptimes after that complaint didn't show any noticeable trouble (who knows, maybe they can fix some issues over the air ...).

Either way, another great display by Gasly, and STR looking good on the super-softs.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 09:07
Thanks Daniel, I'm not able to watch, just read updates. Yes, Gasly's time looks good on the SS.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 09:10
Hartley spun at Turn 6 however he did not have any further off-track moments for the rest of FP1. Other drivers also spun at Turn 6 victim of changing wind direction.

Gasly ended FP1 in 8th position, however he did not get a chance to complete a final run because Ericsson crashed causing a Red Flag. Ericsson car caught fire however fortunately he was able to get out in time. Furthermore, Gasly was not able to use the softer tyres that the drivers in front of him used.

It's only FP1 and a track which has not being used for many years for an F1 race, however it is looking promising for Toro Rosso-Honda...we will see what happens for the rest of the weekend...I have a feeling, if Toro Rosso-Honda gets everything right with optimum PU mapping and car set-up there could be a result similar to Bahrain for the taking! :-)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 09:16
Vxtec wrote:
Hartley spun at Turn 6 however he did not have any further off-track moments for the rest of FP1. Other drivers also spun at Turn 6 victim of changing wind direction.

Gasly ended FP1 in 8th position, however he did not get a chance to complete a final run because Ericsson crashed causing a Red Flag. Ericsson car caught fire however fortunately he was able to get out in time. Furthermore, Gasly was not able to use the softer tyres that the drivers in front of him used.

It's only FP1 and a track which has not being used for many years for an F1 race, however it is looking promising for Toro Rosso-Honda...we will see what happens for the rest of the weekend...I have a feeling, if Toro Rosso-Honda gets everything right with optimum PU mapping and car set-up there could be a result similar to Bahrain for the taking! :-)

what was the story with McLaren? I haven't been able to watch the replay but I saw that they were pretty far back on the timesheets with ALO at 16th and VAN 19th.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 09:23
JeffX wrote:
Vxtec wrote:

what was the story with McLaren? I haven't been able to watch the replay but I saw that they were pretty far back on the timesheets with ALO at 16th and VAN 19th.

They are dragging a 'Boullier-Brown anchor', designed by McLaren and built by Renault, behind their cars! LOL ;-)

magueto
Profile for magueto
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 09:48
Vxtec wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Vxtec wrote:

They are dragging a 'Boullier-Brown anchor', designed by McLaren and built by Renault, behind their cars! LOL ;-)

Itīs only first practice, but nice to see both McLaren pretty behind but if they keep similar pace, is going to be funny see Boullier looking in his book of excuses which one he is going to use today.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 09:56
Vxtec wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Vxtec wrote:

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:07
JeffX wrote:
Vxtec wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Vxtec wrote:

I have a feeling McLaren management will be sent to tribal counsil before 2018 is done.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:25
I know these guys are pros and the FIA goes over every detail but does the blend line (pit out) make anyone else nervous? The racing line goes right across it.
LemieT
Profile for LemieT
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:32
magueto wrote:
Vxtec wrote:
JeffX wrote:
Vxtec wrote:

Itīs only first practice, but nice to see both McLaren pretty behind but if they keep similar pace, is going to be funny see Boullier looking in his book of excuses which one he is going to use today.

It will be Honda's fault. If the STR car wasn't finding so much speed McBarren would be further forward.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 10:35
gofast182 wrote:
I know these guys are pros and the FIA goes over every detail but does the blend line (pit out) make anyone else nervous? The racing line goes right across it.

Hartley already had to swerve around a Red Bull exiting. We might see some clashes. I'm sure team radio will be telling the drivers to watch out when cars are pitting.

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 11:25
Uh-oh. Some sort of mechanical PU issue for HAR.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 12:14
gofast182 wrote:
Uh-oh. Some sort of mechanical PU issue for HAR.

Toro Rosso-Honda says they will investigate. If that means Hartley has a PU replaced with grid penalty and starts at the back of the grid...well, Gasly had the same scenario in Canada (starting from the back, 19th, finished 11th passing a Foce India and Haas). So they both might end up with some spare PUs/parts if required during the rest of the season...that's fine by me!

I am rather not too concerned, even if it means Honda is pushing the envelope, gathering data, learning (including on optimising the mapping) and improving the functioning of the whole PU... taking this approach so as to attain significant steps in the competitiviness of their 'evolving' power unit! Yes, go for it!

Go Toro Rosso-Honda! Go! Go! Go!

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 14:20
I am concerned as it means dyno work does not match real-life, at least in terms of durability, which is a worry. You would have hoped by now that the errors would have been fixed. Still, let's see how serious this is, but I guess an engine change and freight back to Japan for the affected engine, and a thorough tear-down.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 15:44
bigblue wrote:
I am concerned as it means dyno work does not match real-life, at least in terms of durability, which is a worry. You would have hoped by now that the errors would have been fixed. Still, let's see how serious this is, but I guess an engine change and freight back to Japan for the affected engine, and a thorough tear-down.

Let's wait to see what the diagnosis is but I believe this new spec. spent longer on the dyno than previous updates.

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2018 16:48
Someone pointed out that this is also the unit that got Stroll-ed in Canada, so that may have had some effect.
bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 06:29
Yep, engine change and the original one's gone back to Japan, see this article at motorsport.com.
Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 06:56
bigblue wrote:
Yep, engine change and the original one's gone back to Japan, see this article at motorsport.com.

This is ideal strategy considering Toro Rosso-Honda (and Red Bull) are trying to make advancements with power unit (prior to 2019 season) and intergration with the chassis and developments.

Vxtec
Profile for Vxtec
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 08:24
FP3 washed out!

Onto Qualifying in just over one hour and half...and it could be a wet one...as well as, maybe even the race! ;-)

Go Toro Rosso-Honda! Go! Go! Go!

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-23-2018 08:27
Vxtec wrote:
bigblue wrote:

This is ideal strategy considering Toro Rosso-Honda (and Red Bull) are trying to make advancements with power unit (prior to 2019 season) and intergration with the chassis and developments.

That is a positive way of looking at this, I guess. There is a strange scenario with TRH swapping in a new PU every race or two and then storming through the pack to finish best of the rest where they might end up of being anyway. Not quite the intent of the rules but, hey, Bob's your uncle.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0